THE BROWNS BOARD

XFL

The Gipper

OK, as far as I am concerned, the XFL is being a little stupid about where they have put their teams.  Only a couple of their 8teams is going to be in a non-NFL market:

daggerFull stadium capacity. The large stadiums with multiple decks will likely only open the lower bowl for XFL games, similar to AAF and MLS matches played in large stadiums.
Club City/State Stadium[27] Primary Tenant Field Surface Capacitydagger Head coach
Western Conference[59][58]
Dallas Renegades Arlington, Texas Globe Life Park in Arlington Dallas Renegades[a] Grass 25,000 Bob Stoops
Houston Roughnecks Houston, Texas TDECU Stadium Houston Cougars football Turf 40,000 June Jones
Los Angeles Wildcats Carson, California Dignity Health Sports Park LA Galaxy Grass 27,000 Winston Moss
Seattle Dragons Seattle, Washington CenturyLink Field Seattle Seahawks, Seattle Sounders FC Turf 69,000dagger Jim Zorn
Eastern Conference[59][58]
DC Defenders Washington, D.C. Audi Field D.C. United Grass 20,000 Pep Hamilton
New York Guardians East Rutherford, New Jersey MetLife Stadium New York Giants, New York Jets Turf 82,500dagger Kevin Gilbride
St. Louis BattleHawks St. Louis, Missouri The Dome at America's Center St. Louis BattleHawks

Turf 66,965dagger Jonathan Hayes

Tampa Bay Vipers Tampa, Florida Raymond James Stadium Tampa Bay Buccaneers, South Florida Bulls football Grass 65,618dagger Marc Trestman

The NFL minor league and unless proped up will probably fade into obscurity with all of the others.....

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The NFL minor league and unless proped up will probably fade into obscurity with all of the others.....

Maybe.   But the XFL did just conduct a "draft"   ...not a college draft, but one that apparently picked up street Free Agents, including the following names:

Cardale Jones

Connor Cook

Sammie Coates

Matt McGloin

Landry Jones

Orson Charles.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-draft-tracker-results-picks-list-rosters-football-league/jahz8p84e4i61hb8lajqs4a22

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Pep Hamilton's a coach eh?

Yeah and so is Marc Trestman I remember him he was Bernie Kosar's coach at the U who sure has bounced all around football.

He entered football coaching at the University of Miami in 1981 as a volunteer coach. In 1983, he was named quarterbacks coach.[8] That year, quarterback Bernie Kosar passed for 2,329 yards and Miami won the national championship. The next year, Kosar completed 262 passes for 3,642 yards, both school records.

In 2005, Trestman returned to college football coaching as the NC State Wolfpack offensive coordinator, guiding the team to a win in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.[9] However, at the end of the 2006 season, he, along with the entire coaching staff, was fired.[10]

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

99% of football fan's thoughts on the XFL:

Rock-it-Doesnt-matter1.jpg.663367f951b2e53c7694125dc22de22d.jpg

Yea, possibly.  It remains to be seen.  It is why I said that I thought that the XFL was making a mistake in not putting more teams in Non-NFL markets.  It would seem, logically, that fans in cities with no NFL team would have more enthusiasm for a football product.   But we saw that that didn't work with the AAF....which did put teams mostly in non NFL cities.  So? Will this work....putting winter/spring football in mostly larger southern markets?

If there were an XFL team in Cleveland....would it matter to you then?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, possibly.  It remains to be seen.

If there were an XFL team in Cleveland....would it matter to you then?

No.  I'm busy enough with the "real" football, baseball and March madness stuff and the like. I don't need "fake" sports.  :lol:

GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, TRIBE, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes, I like ND!

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

No.  I'm busy enough with the "real" football, baseball and March madness stuff and the like. I don't need "fake" sports.  :lol:

Of course, it could depend on who played for a Cleveland XFL team.   Note:  two of the name players I mention above are NEOhio products:  Cardale Jones of Glenville, Connor Cook of Walsh Jesuit played HS ball here.  That could promote some enthusiasm. 

And if Mitch Trubisky does not get his act together, he could be headed for an XFL career perhaps.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Of course, it could depend on who played for a Cleveland XFL team.   Note:  two of the name players I mention above are NEOhio products:  Cardale Jones of Glenville, Connor Cook of Walsh Jesuit played HS ball here.  That could promote some enthusiasm. 

And if Mitch Trubisky does not get his act together, he could be headed for an XFL career perhaps.

I'd rather just watch the BUCKEYES than a bunch of stiffs that couldn't even make an NFL taxi squad......hey maybe some were really driving taxis!   :lol:

....or Uber guys.

23 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'd rather just watch the BUCKEYES than a bunch of stiffs that couldn't even make an NFL taxi squad......hey maybe some were really driving taxis!   :lol:

....or Uber guys.

The Buckeyes don't play between Feb. and April....unless you are talking the basketball, wrestling or or women's volleyball.  And what says you cannot do both?  You spend a good part of your day as an invalid watching sports.  You could watch the XFL as well as those other winter sports. No Winter Olympics this year.

I can do a whole lot more and don't need to hear.  "and the starting quarterback and former pizza delivery guy is....".  ;)

Relax junior I've been retired for 32 years now and don't have enough hours in the day. Besides who needs "fake" sports it would be like discussing the old defunct AAFC.

The only thing exciting about the XFL is the sexy cheerleaders.. But I will say.. "He Hate Me" was my favorite name in Football.... But like last time.. I expect this league to flop again!...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I can do a whole lot more and don't need to hear.  "and the starting quarterback and former pizza delivery guy is....".  ;)

Relax junior I've been retired for 32 years now and don't have enough hours in the day. Besides who needs "fake" sports it would be like discussing the old defunct AAFC.

So, again, if you have no interest in the Cleveland Browns...why are you here?

1 hour ago, nickers said:

The only thing exciting about the XFL is the sexy cheerleaders.. But I will say.. "He Hate Me" was my favorite name in Football.... But like last time.. I expect this league to flop again!...

Unless it gets a boatload of money from the NFL it won't last long.  Only one of the four American Football Leagues (1960-1969) had any real recent impact by getting absorbed into the NFL and starting the new current Superbowl era.  Here's a list should be close to the real thing so when does the new XFL get added to the list?  The American people have shown repeatedly that the NCAA and NFL are enough football.    I agree.

Professional football.......buy your new XFL merchandise now, they might be collector's items.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

It would be nice to have a NFL developmental league(s) similar to the minor leagues in MLB; but methinks that the XFL ain't it. 

The AAF thought it could be that.  Maybe the XFL will attempt to be.  They are supposed to be revising their model from the original ...to be more totally football oriented. Including not having the cheerleaders be more or less strippers, and no funny nicknames.

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Unless it gets a boatload of money from the NFL it won't last long.  Only one of the four American Football Leagues (1960-1969) had any real recent impact by getting absorbed into the NFL and starting the new current Superbowl era.  Here's a list should be close to the real thing so when does the new XFL get added to the list?  The American people have shown repeatedly that the NCAA and NFL are enough football.    I agree.

Professional football.......buy your new XFL merchandise now, they might be collector's items.  :lol:

Only 2 of those really count:   The ones that merged with the NFL, being the AAFC and the AFL..60-69 version. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

The AAF thought it could be that.  Maybe the XFL will attempt to be.  They are supposed to be revising their model from the original ...to be more totally football oriented. Including not having the cheerleaders be more or less strippers, and no funny nicknames.

The quickly defunct AAF went under fast because they couldn't pay their bills or payroll or satisfy the long term contracts they entered into. (hard to remember because it was gone so fast) 

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Only 2 of those really count:   The ones that merged with the NFL, being the AAFC and the AFL..60-69 version. 

And yet most people only remember one because it was a good league and began the highly successful Superbowl era.  The other was about 70 years ago and wasn't really a success and even old geezers like you and I can not remember it.....and I'm only 69.

Oh and it died, nobody else really cares, the records are not even in the NFL HOF.......let it rest in peace. It's totally dead and gone.  

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And yet most people only remember one because it was a good league and began the highly successful Superbowl era.  The other was about 70 years ago and wasn't really a success and even old geezers like you and I can not remember it.....and I'm only 69.

Oh and it died, nobody else really cares, the records are not even in the NFL HOF.......let it rest in peace. It's totally dead and gone.  

Well....the Cleveland Browns are not gone, the San Francisco 49ers are not got....the Baltimore Colts are gone...but just to Indy.

Again....if you hate the Browns and wish to constantly denigrate their history, their chances.... why are you even on here?

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Again....if you hate the Browns and wish to constantly denigrate their history, their chances.... why are you even on here?

Easy because I've been a DieHard browns fan since the 1950s and basically an all Ohio sports fan. 

GO BROWNS, naturally.  ;)

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....the Cleveland Browns are not gone, the San Francisco 49ers are not got....the Baltimore Colts are gone...but just to Indy.

Again....if you hate the Browns and wish to constantly denigrate their history, their chances.... why are you even on here?

The Baltimore Colts that came from the AAFC has nothing to do with the Baltimore Colts that became the Indianapolis Colts.

46 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Baltimore Colts that came from the AAFC has nothing to do with the Baltimore Colts that became the Indianapolis Colts.

That is correct...technically.

Some however have this theory that the Colts can actually trace their lineage back to I think, the Dayton Triangles.

How to get from Dayton to Indianapolis by way of Brooklyn, Boston, New York, Dallas, Hershey and Baltimore

By Bob Carroll
The Coffin Corner 
Volume XVII 
Originally published in Ragtyme Sports

Teams Lineage Summary:

1. Dayton Cadets (1913-15), Dayton Triangles (1916-29), Brooklyn Dodgers (1930-43), Brooklyn Tigers (1944), Yanks (Merger with Boston in 1945). End of NFL franchise.
  2. Boston Yanks (1944), Yanks (Merger with Brooklyn, 1945), Boston Yanks (1946-48). End of NFL franchise.
  3. New York Bulldogs (1949), New York Yanks (1950-51). End of NFL franchise.
  4. New York Yankees AAFC (1946-48), Brooklyn-New York Yankees (Merger, 1949). End AAFC franchise. New York Yanks bought most of players.
  5. Baltimore Colts I (1947-49 AAFC, 1950 NFL). End NFL franchise.
  6. Dallas Texans (1952). End NFL franchise. Team played out of Hershey, Pa., for final five games.
  7. Baltimore Colts II (1953-1983), Indianapolis Colts (1984- on). Franchise still active.

https://daytontriangles.com/how-to-get-from-dayton-to-indianapolis-by-way-of-brooklyn-boston-new-york-dallas-hershey-and-baltimore/

It is  very much a stretch....but there is that theory.

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

....or Uber guys.

I think a lot of the guys that may play there are no longer eligible for the NFL Practice Squads.  Thus, they have to make an active roster....or hit the streets.  Here is a place for them to land.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Starts February 8, 2020 anybody even remotely interested in this ?  :huh:

There's part of me almost wishing this frustrating as hell Browns season would just wrap up... 

So no, no interest in watching the WWE doofus try to placate his ego in trying this again.