THE BROWNS BOARD

Mahomes Injury Could Change the Complexion of the NFL Season

mjp28

WEEK 7 - THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SPECIAL, Kansas City at Denver +3 and Mahomes out (knee?)

KC 20-6 start 3rd. But the Mahomes injury is a cause for concern.

......oh in my new rehab room with a nice TV, must be 40" and I'll be here for a few weeks.  

• Upvote 1

Flacco is getting some real heat......oh crap a big KC TD even without Mahomes.  (I picked DEN +3 <_<)

The Chiefs announced that the reigning NFL MVP would not return to the game.

Mahomes hurt his knee on a fourth-and-1 plunge for a first down at the Broncos' 3-yard line with his team up 10-6 in the second quarter.

Mahomes limped off the field and went into the visitor's locker room at Empower Field at Mile High. He suffered a patella dislocation, and will have to undergo an MRI to determine if there was ligament damage, according to NFL Network.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Mahomes hurt his knee on a fourth-and-1 plunge for a first down at the Broncos' 3-yard line with his team up 10-6 in the second quarter.

Mahomes limped off the field and went into the visitor's locker room at Empower Field at Mile High. He suffered a patella dislocation, and will have to undergo an MRI to determine if there was ligament damage, according to NFL Network.

Thank goodness. He belongs to my greatest rival in my FFL.   LOL!😂

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Doc Hoorta checking in.... If I know anything about patellar dislocations- Mahomes is going to be out for a long while. And don't yuck it up Fantasy Ag... Learned this from my bike riding- knee pain from extended bike riding is a not uncommon occurrence- you have groves in your femur and tibia that hold those tendons in place. Your kneecap jumps out of those grooves- you had to have had some tissue damage.  Ligament damage- which may or may not occur when you dislocate the patella, would make it a lot worse. The MRI he's going to have today will tell how much.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Doc Hoorta checking in.... If I know anything about patellar dislocations- Mahomes is going to be out for a long while. And don't yuck it up Fantasy Ag... Learned this from my bike riding- knee pain from extended bike riding is a not uncommon occurrence- you have groves in your femur and tibia that hold those tendons in place. Your kneecap jumps out of those grooves- you had to have had some tissue damage.  Ligament damage- which may or may not occur when you dislocate the patella, would make it a lot worse. The MRI he's going to have today will tell how much.  

This guy has been my "Khan!!" for 3 years running. I keep coming in second place behind him overall. 1st place gets $400 and 2nd gets $200 in bonus money. I won't mind being 2nd behind my daughter's father-in-law because last year he was completely shut out. No wins any week and no 1st or 2nd overall. But I sure don't won't "Khan" taking $$ out of my pocket again. And he chose just before me in the 1st round of the draft and took Mahomes. My consolation prize was McCaffrey. 🤩

• Haha 1

Friday morning update.

October 18, 2019 | 9:07am | UpdatedM  MOREON:

Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes leaves game after scary knee injury

Eventhe best-case scenario for Patrick Mahomes seems grim.

The Chiefs superstar quarterback is expected to undergo an MRI exam on Friday to assess whether there’s more damage to the dislocated right kneecap he suffered in Kansas City’s 30-6 win over the Broncos the night before.

Even if there isn’t any, Mahomes would likely miss around three weeks, according to ESPN.

The 23-year-old Mahomes was injured in a pileup near the goal line in the first half.

“I’ve never seen anything like that on the field before,” Denver defensive end Shelby Harris said. “His knee was literally all the way to the side, his kneecap was. I wish him the best. We definitely need him in the league, he’s definitely a big attraction in the league.”

The Chiefs’ medical staff appeared to pop Mahomes’ kneecap back into place, and the 2018 MVP was walked off the field.

Enlarge Image Patrick MahomesGetty Images

Mahomes also is dealing with what NFL Network recently called a “legit” ankle injury that has lingered since Week 1.

“Everything looking good so far,” Mahomes tweeted of his latest injury, while congratulating his teammates on the much-needed win.

The Super Bowl contender had lost two games in a row before beating the Broncos, and are 5-2 for first place in the AFC West.

Backup quarterback Matt Moore went 10-for-19 for 117 yards and one touchdown in place of Mahomes.

The Chiefs have three games until their bye week, and may need to stick with the veteran Moore rather than dip into an unappealing quarterback market.

Mahomes currently leads the league with 15 touchdown passes and 2,180 yards.

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Looks like ol' doc Hoorta was right, the reigning NFL MVP might be out of action for awhile.

Patrick Mahomes will undergo an MRI on Friday after sustaining a knee injury during Thursday night's victory over the Denver Broncos, and as the NFL world awaits those results, there is reportedly optimism that he could be back after missing three weeks.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that Mahomes did indeed suffer a dislocated kneecap during the Kansas City Chiefs' 30-6 victory over the Broncos while adding that the quarterback's best-case scenario would be to be out for "about three weeks" pending the results of Friday's MRI. The amount of ligament damage sustained during the injury will ultimately determine how much time Mahomes will miss, according a medical expert

The injury appeared to be much more significant after Mahomes laid on the ground in obvious pain after successfully executing a quarterback sneak during the first half. Optimism quickly rose, however, after Mahomes was able to walk off the field with assistance from the Chiefs' medical staff. He was also able to exit the field under his own power. 

Patrick Mahomes suffered an ugly injury, so what happens now for the Chiefs and the QB? Ryan Wilson, John Breech and Sean Wagner-McGough joined Will Brinson to break everything down. Listen in the player below, and be sure to subscribe here for daily NFL goodness.,,........SEE LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION..........

21 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Looks like ol' doc Hoorta was right, the reigning NFL MVP might be out of action for awhile.

I had some  Chiefs info pop up on my browser today, and one of the Broncos players who  saw it before they popped the kneecap  back in place (SOP, BTW) said it was way dislocated. FWIW. There was an ortho doc's input that depending on the damage, it could be  three  weeks  at best, to season  ending  if surgery is  required to  fix it.

Like  if there's a  fracture involved. Cavs fans well remember the aftermath when Kyrie busted his kneecap.

54 minutes ago, D Bone said:

The Chiefs are very well coached and will survive this stretch with 2-1 record...... if not 3-0. 

Only if their sub QB can manage to get by -and- they continue to play 2-5 teams like Denver.

Oh week 8 coming up and if Mahomes is out much beyond 3 weeks or the season all bets are off.  Coaching helps but isn't everything.

About 1 pm CBS Sports.....    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patrick-mahomes-knee-injury-projected-recovery-timetable-as-explained-by-medical-expert

An orthopedic knee surgeon offers a look at what Mahomes is up against, and the Chiefs are right to be nervous

PW: Early reports are that Mahomes suffered a dislocated patella, but that there wasn't a fracture, but an MRI is scheduled to be performed as early as tonight or Friday morning. What ligaments are involved in keeping the patella itself in place, that are now at risk of being strained or torn?

Dr. Rodney Benner: Yes, the video shows a member of the medical staff extending the knee and pushing the patella back into place from a dislocated position. The patella is held in a centralized location by ligament structures on both sides, medially (inside of the knee) and laterally (outside of the knee). In order for the patella to dislocate laterally, which is the direction it always goes, the medial retinaculum and medial patellofemoral ligament have to tear. An MRI scan will assess a few things. It can visualize the medial soft tissue and assess the extent of ligament tearing. Also, when the patella dislocates, a specific pattern of bone bruising is visible on the medial side of the femur and the lateral side of the trochlea, which is the groove on the end of the femur where the patella tracks. 

These bruises come about because those surfaces impact one another during the dislocation. Sometimes a piece of cartilage and possibly bone can break off and float loose inside the knee. This will be visible on MRI as well.........MUCH MORE IN THE LINK.........

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

If he can skate by only losing 3 weeks or possibly the next game before the bye then KC would luck out on the best case scenario.  These guys are highly paid assets and get the best care out there that money can buy plus are well conditioned athletes and do make remarkable comebacks.

I just had a pretty involved hip surgery on September 16 which went better than expected by a few weeks and just yesterday started rehab which is expected to last maybe 2-4 weeks......and I'm 69 and not 24. Probably in total better than 4-6 weeks better than my April surgery.  It's amazing what they can do with a good surgeon and the right setting.

We will see who gets back first Patrick Mahomes or me.  :lol:

I'm sure all Kansas City is waiting.

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

Hats off to the medical staff popping that Knee Cap back in place, ouch!

Next 7 weeks

1) GB

2) Vikings

3) @Tenn

4) @LAC*

5) BYE WEEK

6) Oakland== IMO, MaHomie back here  

7) at Pats

KC....Be smart, not crazy.. 

• Upvote 2

Timing feels good to me, gum...

KC has a quality backup... problem is that even with Mahommes playing their warts were already showing.

Should still sneak into the playoffs, but I don't see them going deep... even with Mahommes back.

5-2, take 3 losses next four weeks and that makes 6-5. AFC West division is going to be cheap this year, they could probably still leading it after the bye. I'd take that. 

The Alabama quarterback got a high ankle sprain and is expected to miss 1-2 weeks -but- these injuries can linger or possibly easily get reinjured and require a lot more time........edit add, do they maybe try to fit these injury recoveries into the team schedules???

The 1-2 week timeframe for Tagovailoa’s recovery fits into a convenient stretch for the Tide, at least. Up next for the team is 2-5 Arkansas, then a bye week. The team can afford little complications though, as a date against No. 2 LSU that could determine not just the winner of the SEC West, but a College Football Playoff spot is only three weeks away.

Kansas City Chiefs
NAME STATUS DATE
Patrick Mahomes, QB Out Oct 20.....the latest
Comment: Mahomes (kneecap) is expected to miss 3-to-5 weeks, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Watching the QB class of 2020 sort itself out is going to be interesting as hell...

Yes with the aging big future first ballot HOF quarterbacks retiring any time now. 

Some were calling the rookie class of 2018 the best since 1983 does that still stand?   (probably!)