THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns interest in Skins OT, Trent Williams

LondonBrown

He is a left tackle. I guess Robinson moves to RT. Hubbard has been struggling - was in a walking boot week 4, I think - for an ankle injury that didn't keep him out of the games....

I think this is a very good analysis:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/9/11/20860131/is-the-cleveland-browns-offensive-line-a-mess

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Trent would play left.  Robinson is a road grader, move him right.  

Hope its at the right price otherwise you're talking about an aging tackle with injury history looking for a large payday.

Also.....one who hasnt played since last year....including no camp, no preseason, etc......He's gotta come cheap to be worth it.....and we shouldnt expect too much too soon.....

If we get him and he can play, then I wonder if Hubbard can move inside to shore up RG?

37 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Hope its at the right price otherwise you're talking about an aging tackle with injury history looking for a large payday.

While l respect your opinion, l been keying in on the OL play and l don’t like Robinson. I would much rather keep Hubbard over him. I feel like Robinson is a reactionary tentative type of guy. At least Hubbard shows tenacity and effort. While the results are comparable betwixt the two, l feel like l’ve seen enough of Robinson, and moving him clear across the line is just going to create an excuse for him to not be the player we all want to will him to be.

This season: Robinson 67.8, Hubbard 52.2. 

I'd say due to our injury issues already on OL, keep them both for the rest of this season.  Conveniently both of their contracts are up, so I'd also bet neither of them will be back in 2020.

Andrew Thomas UGA would look good in brown, if for no other reason than to continue the Thomas tradition. Other first-rounders could be Trey Adams, Walter Little, Tristan Wirfs, Sam Cosmi, Mekhi Becton, and Trey Smith.

4 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

What would be given up? Avery? Picks?

Is that why he’s stashed?

believe i mentioned that before keep him healthy for a possible o lineman trade 

• Upvote 1

This has the feel of a solution looking for a problem.

46 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Also.....one who hasnt played since last year....including no camp, no preseason, etc......He's gotta come cheap to be worth it.....and we shouldnt expect too much too soon.....

If we get him and he can play, then I wonder if Hubbard can move inside to shore up RG?

I was thinking RG would be Robinson's landing spot...

... but I sure don't think the price has fallen much.

26 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So... how does the tackle class look for the 2020 NFL Draft? ;)

Of Seniors like maybe one can't miss and a few very promising.

Underclass will add to both totals.

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Not a chance he comes cheap 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

While l respect your opinion, l been keying in on the OL play and l don’t like Robinson. I would much rather keep Hubbard over him. I feel like Robinson is a reactionary tentative type of guy. At least Hubbard shows tenacity and effort. While the results are comparable betwixt the two, l feel like l’ve seen enough of Robinson, and moving him clear across the line is just going to create an excuse for him to not be the player we all want to will him to be.

Hubbard outgrades Robinson in pass pro but running to Hubbard's side usually involves Chubb doing work and/or pulls. Which draws my ire. Conversely we usually need chip help Cam's side.  Being that I've been screaming for more play action, you know I favor the hogs that can move the LOS.  But not out of the realm of possibility to see how Robinson fares at a guard spot though.  Bet he run blocks better than Kush. 

Edit: looks like Tour beat me to the suggestion.

3 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Not a chance he comes cheap 

did the price go down ? or is Dorsey just willing to give them what they want ? cause i would think a high pick and a player and by high i mean are first 

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

This has the feel of a solution looking for a problem.

I was thinking RG would be Robinson's landing spot

agree on Robbie to RG for now..but why d hell would the skins not demand Robbie as part of the deal to fill either of their tackle positions? Donald Penn is like 35 going on age 40

Can't trade any more assets for a 31 year old LT who hasn't played in a year. 

Ride this season out with what you have. They have two weeks to address what they feel are weaknesses. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It had better not be a first, second round + say Avery is as high as I'm willing to go....

21 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Can't trade any more assets for a 31 year old LT who hasn't played in a year. 

Ride this season out with what you have. They have two weeks to address what they feel are weaknesses. 

LOL, and OL is a glaring weakness right? Looking at Sportac , sure looks like we can get Williams as a one year rent-a- player for around $12 million. I'll let cap guru Tour tell me if I'm reading his contract correctly....   https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

25 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It had better not be a first, second round + say Avery is as high as I'm willing to go....

LOL, and OL is a glaring weakness right? Looking at Sportac , sure looks like we can get Williams as a one year rent-a- player for around $12 million. I'll let cap guru Tour tell me if I'm reading his contract correctly....   https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

Unless the skins are paying the rest of his salary this year (highly unlikely) or vernon or some other high priced player is included in the trade the browns are shortening their window to win to 2-3 years.  They would only have 20 million in leftover cap. After expiring contracts in the offseason we will only be under the cap by 10 million. Meaning we only have 10 million dollars to spend in free agency/resigning players unless we dip into the left over cap again which would already be low at 20 million. Unless Vernon or kirksey (not sure if you can trade players on ir) are included to offset William's salary this year i I just can't see the benefit of this trade long term. It puts us behind the right ball long term.

Not to mention the o line didn't let Baker get touched last game and allowed chubb to run for 110+ against the league's 3rd best rush defense. 

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

did the price go down ? or is Dorsey just willing to give them what they want ? cause i would think a high pick and a player and by high i mean are first 

Don’t be surprised if that’s reversed a bit as in a higher round player and a lower round pick. I think we may think our CB depth is pretty good. 

5 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

That holding call at the end was just crushing. 

I read Njoku could be trade bait, but I doubt it. I doubt the entire thing actually. Redskins are denying everything. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Hah!

And that's with a broken leg!

WAit!! what...You broke your Leg? 🤕 or Trent playing on a broken leg?    Wrong Club? 3MAR.gif     or     hLf.gif   bad uphill Tee lie? Golf Cart gone Wild?  

There is no way I give a 12-17 range first round pick for a 31 year old tackle on his last year of deal that has had some injuries- no thank you.  End of story on that.

Now I think we have a few guys we may not re sign  after rookie deals and that could be worth something to a tanking team.

Denzel Ward.  Do you pay him top corner money factoring in other players we need to sign?  I’m siding with he can’t stay healthy and isn’t tough enough for the league.  He will have some years left and could be a holdout candidate in a couple years.  We seem to have adequate insurance there Williams and our backups have played fairly well.

Njoku.  He’s gonna make money on his next contract because of size speed and teams will still buy into the potential part.  We won’t be that team so we lose him in a few years anyway.  He could be an intriguing guy for a team with a young QB.

We’ve got an extra third if Duke plays a few more games. 

But ultimately we need to decide if Williams moves the needle enough.  Does he fix Bakers mechanics, Freddie’s inexperience, incompetence with offensive schemes and calls, and overall discipline of this team. Flipside of this Does a rookie tackle come in a win a job right away and protect Baker next season and the seasons after?  Does this guy make Chubb better?  Does Williams presence make Chubb better? 

Besides Williams or a 2020 1st round rookie are there better options to explore? 

• Upvote 1