THE BROWNS BOARD

Rambo Last blood review

Rambo Last blood
Lionsgate
R                     89 min
I’m not ashamed to say I love Sylvester Stallone. I’ve either loved every Rocky movie or at least enjoyed them, thought he was great in COPLAND and believe that PARADISE ALLEY is an uncovered gem. That being said have not been a huge fan of the RAMBO, JUDGE DREDD or THE EXPENDABLES (too many guys) series. One of the reasons here, and this is just one of my particular bugaboo’s, is that I rarely enjoy jungle or war movies. On the other hand I almost always love revenge flicks and the worse the bad guys are the better I like to see them get demolished. By the way I’m not really going to issue a spoiler alert because after all these years I think we all realized that anyone who messes with a friend or loved one of any character played by Stallone is in for a very bad end. No surprises there right?
In this installment John Rambo is retired and living on a horse ranch in the Southwest with his beloved niece Gabrielle whom he has raised since being abandoned by her no-good biological father. One of her equally no good friends who has moved South of the Border informs her that she has found that father and invites her to come down to meet him. Against Uncle Rambo’s stern admonition she will sneak off to go meet with this guy and that’s when terrible things happen. After being soundly rejected by dear old dad she will reluctantly accompany her trashy friend to a disreputable Mexican Disco where she is drugged and kidnapped by a gang of white slavers. And here the battle begins. 
Our hero makes his way to the cartels headquarters where his niece at dozens of other girls are captive drug-addicted sex slaves where he will be attacked and beaten within an inch of his life. Even worse news the bad guys found his identification at a photo of his niece and decide to make her an example. Fortunately a mysterious woman named Carmen will rescue him and nurse him back to health at which point he returns to the bordello and kills a lot of mugs and retrieving the barely conscious girl.
But remember these bastards have his ID and know where he lives and lead a small army to the ranch. Those familiar with Rambo’s prowess probably realize it will take a lot more then a small or even medium-sized army. Just saying.
I won’t give any more actual details but when you see the layout of the ranch early in the show you’ll realize that will be a premonition of the climax. 
When you see my reasonably high grade remember that I am comparing this film to other action and violent revenge films, grading on the curve. There is certainly some sloppy dialogue and some loose ends along with some unrealistic situations a tendency toward Scandinavian style bleak plot turns, but one more time folks, this ain’t high art. This is Rambo killing a lot of some of the worst villains we’ve seen on film for a long time. Hell I might have even given it a higher grade had he spent a little more time on each one of these SOBs.
PostScript. After I wrote my review I checked the critical opinions around the web. Apparently other critics hated and the audiences loved.
Post PostScript just an odd and trivial coincidence that there are two Adrian’s and one Adriana listed in the credits. Yo.
B
WSS

• Upvote 1

good review WSS.. Huge Stallone fan myself & your correct on the 'too many guys' theme in the Expendables..saw this Columbus Day Monday.. a real enjoy, on a rainy day..

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:09 PM, Westside Steve said:

Rambo Last blood
Lionsgate
R                     89 min
I’m not ashamed to say I love Sylvester Stallone. I’ve either loved every Rocky movie or at least enjoyed them, thought he was great in COPLAND and believe that PARADISE ALLEY is an uncovered gem. That being said have not been a huge fan of the RAMBO, JUDGE DREDD or THE EXPENDABLES (too many guys) series. One of the reasons here, and this is just one of my particular bugaboo’s, is that I rarely enjoy jungle or war movies. On the other hand I almost always love revenge flicks and the worse the bad guys are the better I like to see them get demolished. By the way I’m not really going to issue a spoiler alert because after all these years I think we all realized that anyone who messes with a friend or loved one of any character played by Stallone is in for a very bad end. No surprises there right?
In this installment John Rambo is retired and living on a horse ranch in the Southwest with his beloved niece Gabrielle whom he has raised since being abandoned by her no-good biological father. One of her equally no good friends who has moved South of the Border informs her that she has found that father and invites her to come down to meet him. Against Uncle Rambo’s stern admonition she will sneak off to go meet with this guy and that’s when terrible things happen. After being soundly rejected by dear old dad she will reluctantly accompany her trashy friend to a disreputable Mexican Disco where she is drugged and kidnapped by a gang of white slavers. And here the battle begins. 
Our hero makes his way to the cartels headquarters where his niece at dozens of other girls are captive drug-addicted sex slaves where he will be attacked and beaten within an inch of his life. Even worse news the bad guys found his identification at a photo of his niece and decide to make her an example. Fortunately a mysterious woman named Carmen will rescue him and nurse him back to health at which point he returns to the bordello and kills a lot of mugs and retrieving the barely conscious girl.
But remember these bastards have his ID and know where he lives and lead a small army to the ranch. Those familiar with Rambo’s prowess probably realize it will take a lot more then a small or even medium-sized army. Just saying.
I won’t give any more actual details but when you see the layout of the ranch early in the show you’ll realize that will be a premonition of the climax. 
When you see my reasonably high grade remember that I am comparing this film to other action and violent revenge films, grading on the curve. There is certainly some sloppy dialogue and some loose ends along with some unrealistic situations a tendency toward Scandinavian style bleak plot turns, but one more time folks, this ain’t high art. This is Rambo killing a lot of some of the worst villains we’ve seen on film for a long time. Hell I might have even given it a higher grade had he spent a little more time on each one of these SOBs.
PostScript. After I wrote my review I checked the critical opinions around the web. Apparently other critics hated and the audiences loved.
Post PostScript just an odd and trivial coincidence that there are two Adrian’s and one Adriana listed in the credits. Yo.
B
WSS

copland hell yes I get surprised when i bring it up and alot of people had never heard of it