THE BROWNS BOARD

So whats wrong with Baker?

hoorta

On 10/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, PoeticG said:

Two things:

1) Baker threw that ball over the first defender, that was a perfect ball. Get your eyes checked. 

2) The ball wasn't as high as you make it out to be, Njoku could have caught that ball standing on his feet- He didn't need to leap for it. If he just keeps running it's a clean catch, he's going to get hit yeah, but the hit wouldn't have put him on IR. 

The pass was late and allowed the defenders to close in on him. He threw another late pass in that game to Beckham who has also sandwiched but fortunately wasn't injured.

The weirdest thing the Kitchen cooks is 2 of the same play right in a row WTF?  Who does that?  Baker is regressing fast and Cam is out there.  Cam is only 6 years older and in his prime.  I'd take a look.

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Joe Montana did this on the regular he’d pump left or right and then go the opposite direction sometimes he would even look and pump that way knowing full well his pre snap read wasn’t taking him there.  Simple.  Nothing crazy here. 

No kidding, Pat Mahomes JUST did the exact thing we're talking about and it worked like a charm. He shoulder faked the quick pass to the left, the receiver released down field presumably instead of blocking, and was WIDE OPEN for a TD. Bronco DT got a fingernail on the ball or else it was 6. 

Now we're bemoaning the hit Njoku took? DBs live for those cartwheel shots... one of the few old school hits that's still legal.

15 hours ago, ravn5220 said:

This kind of thread on your boards make me chuckle my little ass off.   What's wrong with Baker?  He sucks, that's what's wrong with him.  He was ok for about 3 minutes, but you all refuse to realized it.  He became Clevelanized.  Translation:  He's on the Browns, so that, by default, makes him a loser.  In other words, even if he was going to be a good NFL quarterback at one time, the fact that he's a Brown means his career will take a shit.  11 interceptions vs 5 td's..one of the bottom ranked qb's through six games.  I keep saying it, but I'll repeat...a bunch of delusional fans.  Stop, just stop.  One of your boys was over on our boards talking about how Mayfield turned your team around, from 1 and 31 in 2 years, to 7-8-1, trying to convince us how big of an improvement he made for your sorry franchise.  That's the differences between the 2 teams:  7-8-1 makes you all want to have a parade and party, 7-8-1 would make us call for heads to roll.  That's what being Clevelanized does in a nutshell...settles for mediocrity, or below mediocrity actually.  I love that you guys are now being brought down to reality after a few minutes of hype, and starting to realize, "Hey, we're the Cleveland Browns, we aren't supposed to be good".

You're not big on persuasion are you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He went to the Dale Carnegie school and got his certifiable there.😁

Dale who?  You must be an old geezer like me to remember that. :lol:

"How to win friends and influence people".  Eh?

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Now we're bemoaning the hit Njoku took? DBs live for those cartwheel shots... one of the few old school hits that's still legal.

You're not big on persuasion are you?

Our trolls countdown clock  to getting launched into the Internet  ether is ticking Tour. Its around T-minus 96 hours. 

In the meantime, I'd like to  remind  those who  don't  care for  his flame baiting there is an ignore function.

45 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Dale who?  You must be an old geezer like me to remember that. :lol:

"How to win friends and influence people".  Eh?

Yep-here's my home movie taking swimming lessons with my fellow old geezers from across the border wall.  😁

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little PFF video...

For the most part it's pretty lightweight with the depth of a kiddie pool, e.g., "inaccurate", " holding the ball"".... and never getting to the whys behind these "insights"... but then at the 5:26 mark they talk about PFF's "Turnover Worthy Plays" measure.

Bottom line... Baker has produced 9 Turnover Worthy Plays... and these have resulted in 12 INTs. In other words his turnover results have been far worse than his play.

It's cause for hope.

• Thanks 1

Meh, I'm not that worried about Baker.

Being Cleveland Fans, we all know a bit to well what a bad QB looks like.

Baker, even with his bad play this year, still looks better than 99% of the play we have watched over the years.

He throws the ball like an NFL QB, he hits small windows like and NFL QB. 

His throwing has been off a bit (Sailing High) But his ball doesn't look like Colt McCoy's or Brian Hoyer's

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hx214 said:

Meh, I'm not that worried about Baker.

Being Cleveland Fans, we all know a bit to well what a bad QB looks like.

Baker, even with his bad play this year, still looks better than 99% of the play we have watched over the years.

He throws the ball like an NFL QB, he hits small windows like and NFL QB. 

His throwing has been off a bit (Sailing High) But his ball doesn't look like Colt McCoy's or Brian Hoyer's

he didn't have bad play last year. He had a better oline, far better play on the right side last year. Teams know what the Browns offense can do with Baker at the helm, so they've figured out to run over the oline and that tells the tale. Even Brady got sacked when his oline failed. The Browns oline has failed often. and missing Njoku is another problem. Not many problems, but still a few.

Whatever is wrong with Baker seems to be infecting virtually every player on our offense, and I don’t have a way to describe it.  We have the same offensive coordinator that we had for the second half of last year, and we’re a team that looks absolutely miserable on offense.  That one, 3 play sequence that resulted in 3 turnovers was some of the worst football I’ve ever seen in my life, and it literally seems like we simply “infected” by something that we can’t shake.  Even in the Seahawks game, a game we started off with THREE straight TD drives became an exercise in futility and shame. 

Baker is not the same guy he was last year, and much of it has to do with his accuracy and his ability to make “big time” throws.  Gone are the long bombs to Landry between 3 defenders.  The first play 60 yarder to Perriman that he dropped in the bucket?  A distant memory.  The deep throws to Landry in the seam?  Hardly there at all.  The most disturbing thing of all is how terrible Baker is in the red zone, and as a rookie, he was oddly proficient.  This year?  He looks like Helen Keller trying to land the fighter jet on that Nintendo game “Top Gun” (if you don’t remember that, just know it was impossible…WITH sight and hearing).

Sure, Chubb looks great, but you can’t excuse the 3 fumbles either.  I don’t have a stat to back this up, so I could be talking directly out of my ass here, but we lose approximately 99.9% of the fumbles we commit.  In other words, when we fumble the ball, we LOSE the ball virtually every time.  I mean, GOD FORBID we recover just ONE of those Chubb fumbles.  Just one!  How about the one against the Seahawks that effectively doomed us?  The kick-fumble that was a TD?  The 40 yard fun that was basically a punt?  Chubb NEVER fumbled the ball last year, so why is he infected now with the Browns pandemic?  (I WILL say that many people on our board remarked how Chubb ALWAYS carried the ball with one hand and almost NEVER covered it up with both to protect it.  It was never an issue because he never fumbled it, but as we all see, it’s an issue NOW)

The infection has further spread to people like OBJ.  Did you know he leads our team in dropped passes?  He also leads our WR’s in touchdown receptions with…*drum roll please*….ONE.  ONE FREAKING TD PASS.  Jarvis has none.  Higgins, none (been hurt).  Calloway?  Bitch please.  Ratley?  Don’t go there.  Our franchise QB cannot throw TD passes, and I have NO idea what’s going on.  Granted, Calloway should be tied with the lead with ONE, but of course the pass clanged off his Braylon Edwards hands and the pass floated directly to the defender for an interception.  I mean, of course it did, right?

Back to Baker.

Ok, I swear to God, if we throw ONE MORE bubble screen to OBJ, I’ll lose my freaking mind.  I think we’ve thrown that pass 27 times for a grand total of 7 yards.  You know what else I’m tired of?  Our idiots trying to run the pick play.  Just STOP already, we can’t run it correctly!  Yes, it’s frustrating when EVERY other team can run it and we can’t, but you know what?  Life isn’t fair.  Move on, try something else, and maybe, just MAYBE try to find some pass plays your team is actually GOOD at executing. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

he didn't have bad play last year. He had a better oline, far better play on the right side last year. Teams know what the Browns offense can do with Baker at the helm, so they've figured out to run over the oline and that tells the tale. Even Brady got sacked when his oline failed. The Browns oline has failed often. and missing Njoku is another problem. Not many problems, but still a few.

Oh I know the issues this year, I’m more talking about Baker as a future player (next 10 years).

I really hope this easier schedule is the cure for most of the issues and they get it rolling.

• Upvote 1