THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarter Pole - RB

Orion

So far:   Hilliard is not Duke

He's not as effective in the passing game.  And if he has to block, he's more easily bowled over by blitzers. 

#30 Johnson doesn't get in on offense often but he seems fairly capable.

Chubb is good.  He could use a little better blocking from his OL.  Chubb is a good blocker.  And smart, he knows where and who to block.   They don't use him often on 3rd down.  He's a capable receiver (that TD he caught reaching over the head of the defender last year was one for the history books), and having him in the backfield makes the defense play honest, that they could be looking at a run coming at them whereas you don't scare anyone with Hilliard back there.    -  I'm assuming the idea is to rest him and play the 3rd down guy....but the problem is he's gotta stay in and block the obvious blitzer.

I'm curious to see what happens when/if Hunt joins the team in 4 weeks.  Would  certainly help to have a good blocking/receiving RB in there on 3rd downs.

The 2019 BROWNS running attack or should we say the Chubb factor.

Running Back

NAME G RSH YD Y/R TD TARG REC YD Y/R TD FPT
Nick Chubb 5 94 485 5.2 4 20 15 111 7.4 0 83.6
Dontrell Hilliard 5 7 31 4.4 2 5 3 41 13.7 0 19.2
D'Ernest Johnson 5 4 21 5.3 0 7 6 71 11.8 0

And the team targets again the Chubb factor.

Player TM Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Targ T/TmG T/G REC YD Y/R TD Rec%
Odell Beckham Jr CLE 11 10 9 7 6 43 8.6 8.6 23 335 14.6 1 53.5
Jarvis Landry CLE 7 7 9 10 6 39 7.8 7.8 22 403 18.3 0 56.4
Nick Chubb CLE 4 4 7 4 1 20 4.0 4.0 15 111 7.4 0 75.0
Damion Ratley CLE 2 3 5 3 2 15 3.0 3.0 8 103 12.9 0 53.3
D'Ernest Johnson CLE 2 4 0 0 1 7 1.4 1.4 6 71 11.8 0 85.7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm curious to see what happens when/if Hunt joins the team in 4 weeks.  Would  certainly help to have a good blocking/receiving RB in there on 3rd downs.

Well at this rate with no Duke around they might risk burning out Nick Chubb.  If Mr Hunt has his head screwed on right and is fresh and ready it might give the BROWNS some versatility and a more explosive running attack.  

That with their "better than last year" receiving corp and they just might be the team we thought they could be...... we'll see.

And the RB like any other position on the team requires a total team effort (no names we know who) for it all to be as good as they can be.

And the critical weak links through five games well the often mentioned Mayfield, OL, injuries to the D and one more scoring and drive killing item the TEs. (12 total catches?)

Player TM Wk1 Wk2 Wk3 Wk4 Wk5 Targ T/TmG T/G REC YD Y/R TD Rec%
David Njoku CLE 6 1 dnp dnp dnp 7 1.4 3.5 4 37 9.2 1 57.1 <------ they miss that guy
Ricky Seals-Jones CLE 0 0 2 3 1 6 1.2 1.2 4 96 24.0 1 66.7 <--------- maybe?
Demetrius Harris CLE 1 1 2 0 2 6 1.2 1.2 3 6 2.0 1 50.0
Pharaoh Brown CLE 0 1 0 1 0 2 0.4 0.4 1 18 18.0 0 50.0
Rico Gathers CLE 0 dnp dnp dnp dnp 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 0.0
  • Thanks 1

Total Offense snap counts is 321.... Chubb=239 snaps 74.45% /// D'E Johnson= 41 snaps 12.77% +51 snaps on ST /// D. Hilliard= 42 snaps 13.08% +61 snaps on ST..  Chubb falls middle of pack in NFL RB snaps, but slightly lower in touches... K.Hunt should return week 9 or 10..D'Ernest may hit PS?      

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Chubb isn’t good he’s great.  He’s carrying the load too and if you are ranking position  groups please tell me another group that is doing as well as RBs?  

i can make argument for Specials- specifically punting and kicking. 

83?6% of the FPT and the #3 targeted and completions reciever he is the offense right now, he's carrying the team and the opponents know that every week.

I think Hilliard has been a nice surprise. I’ll agree blocking is not his strong suit, but l’m not sure Hunt is great at it either. Johnson looks better than both of them at it so far from what l’ve seen (which was only preseason for Hunt).

Hilliard has good hands though and a few shifty run moves. We could do a lot worse for a 3rd down back. 

I’m still dying to see the reemergence of the inverted wishbone.

42 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think Hilliard has been a nice surprise. I’ll agree blocking is not his strong suit, but l’m not sure Hunt is great at it either. Johnson looks better than both of them at it so far from what l’ve seen (which was only preseason for Hunt).

Hilliard has good hands though and a few shifty run moves. We could do a lot worse for a 3rd down back. 

I’m still dying to see the reemergence of the inverted wishbone.

Hillard 7 rushes 3 receptions through 5 games?  Sounds like a real part time player so far.  

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hillard 7 rushes 3 receptions through 5 games?  Sounds like a real part time player so far.  

Yeah, definitely gets limited action, but has done ok with the opportunities he’s been given. I guess l just see him as low on the priority list of fish to fry to make the team better.