THE BROWNS BOARD

Shakegate

jrb12711

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/08/richard-sherman-annoyed-at-baker-mayfields-handshake-snub/

To date, every team we've faced has had players come out and say they've been motivated by:

1) the hype of this squad (not really anyone's fault, but still)

and much more importantly

2) Baker talking shit or doing shit like this

I'm not comparing them on the field, but this sort of thing is quickly turning Johnny-esque. I get that this stuff "motivates" Mayfield, but if you act like you gotta back it up. Bosa embarrassed Baker (and by extension, the Browns) in his post game comments as well (also completely accurate).

The problem is, who is the dude to get into his face about it? We all know buddy Kitchens ain't the dude. I just hope someone does-to give any team an "edge" to play with in football is just plain dumb, especially when you're playing poorly. 

• Upvote 1

That game was lost on purpose.  Don’t know why but the browns played at half speed last night.  Beckham dropped what 4 balls.  They looked like they didn’t want to be there or they where being told what to do.  San Fran is not a great team.  # Kylehasbeenonhisknees

I count myself among those that are weary of this shit. I look forward to the evolution of Baker Mayfield and him finding more adult ways to show someone up and inspire himself and his team. 

The guy could conceivably play into his 30s, and l get the “Baker gotta be Baker” stuff, and even found this sort of thing refreshing for a time. But we all evolve. We have to. What worked a few years ago may not work today, and this kind of thing doesn’t seem to be working now.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Babernakle said:

That game was lost on purpose.  Don’t know why but the browns played at half speed last night.  Beckham dropped what 4 balls.  They looked like they didn’t want to be there or they where being told what to do.  San Fran is not a great team.  # Kylehasbeenonhisknees

You get my vote for jivest comment of the day so far. But it’s early and a long day ahead. I mean, are we really talking “Brown Sox scandal” here? 

You also get my vote for most bizarre hashtag reference l’ve seen in a while. What does that even mean? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Ya.... Sherman complaining about the way someone else acts..... I'll move along now.

Go into more detail about one thing he said that isn't pretty on the nose. I'll wait. I don't disagree (generally) but this time dude is 100% spot on.

25 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Bosa's comments after the game...wow...in bakers head.  Brutal.

Nothing short of embarrassing for him and the team really. I really, really hope that humbles him a bit, but I'm not optimistic. 

35 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Ya.... Sherman complaining about the way someone else acts..... I'll move along now.

Curious as to what you disagree with in these particular Sherman comments ?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/richard-sherman-rips-baker-mayfield-after-pre-game-handshake-snub/1w9ji6myx5e8s1o5xb1sqn7q9j

Defenders can absolutely be motivated to a higher sense of aggression and Baker seems to bring that out of these men. This ain't vs TCU anymore.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Go into more detail about one thing he said that isn't pretty on the nose. I'll wait. I don't disagree (generally) but this time dude is 100% spot on.

Nothing short of embarrassing for him and the team really. I really, really hope that humbles him a bit, but I'm not optimistic. 

Type "Richard Sherman is an" into google and the first thing that pops up from the computer is "asshole" Feel free to click on any of the links presented to you and you'll have reading material for days.  He literally has nothing to say about anybody for doing anything the rest of his career that I'd even stop to listen to. 

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

Curious as to what you disagree with in these particular Sherman comments ?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/richard-sherman-rips-baker-mayfield-after-pre-game-handshake-snub/1w9ji6myx5e8s1o5xb1sqn7q9j

Defenders can absolutely be motivated to a higher sense of aggression and Baker seems to bring that out of these men. This ain't vs TCU anymore.

Nah. That dude was the biggest piece of crap when he played for the Seahawks.  He literally has nothing to say about anybody for doing anything the rest of his career that I'd even stop to listen to, click on and read, etc.

6 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Nah. That dude was the biggest piece of crap when he played for the Seahawks.  He literally has nothing to say about anybody for doing anything the rest of his career that I'd even stop to listen to, click on and read, etc.

Ok. I get it. Don't let specifics get in the way of a narrative. There's some truth to the statement that defenders appear to want to and are extra motivated to humble Baker. Sometimes you have to put the pom poms down and see whats really happening.

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Type "Richard Sherman is an" into google and the first thing that pops up from the computer is "asshole" Feel free to click on any of the links presented to you and you'll have reading material for days.  He literally has nothing to say about anybody for doing anything the rest of his career that I'd even stop to listen to. 

Yes, I do indeed follow the NFL so I don't need to do that. You're being short-sighted though to not read what he said and digest he's really spot on where #6 is right now though.

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I’m optimistic. Baker has been adapting most of his adult life. He really has no choice in the matter, unless he wants to stop playing professional football. 

I kinda think Baker’s at an impasse. The whole newlywed, insurance commercial, stardom galore wildness and its weights. It’s heavy, and a pretty clear acknowledgement of success for a guy who has a reputation for fueling himself with perceived slights. 

I think he’ll figure it out.

6 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/08/richard-sherman-annoyed-at-baker-mayfields-handshake-snub/

To date, every team we've faced has had players come out and say they've been motivated by:

1) the hype of this squad (not really anyone's fault, but still)

and much more importantly

2) Baker talking shit or doing shit like this

I'm not comparing them on the field, but this sort of thing is quickly turning Johnny-esque. I get that this stuff "motivates" Mayfield, but if you act like you gotta back it up. Bosa embarrassed Baker (and by extension, the Browns) in his post game comments as well (also completely accurate).

The problem is, who is the dude to get into his face about it? We all know buddy Kitchens ain't the dude. I just hope someone does-to give any team an "edge" to play with in football is just plain dumb, especially when you're playing poorly. 

our coaching staff looks completly lost....i wouldn't say baker is johnnyesque....yet....at least he studies the playbook...but yeah, i could see all this falling apart....defense really sucks...i know we have some injuries, but they are not on the line...they really suck....db's that are in there now cannot tackle worth a fucking shit....this is the same shit now for 20 yrs on the d.....

6 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You get my vote for jivest comment of the day so far. But it’s early and a long day ahead. I mean, are we really talking “Brown Sox scandal” here? 

You also get my vote for most bizarre hashtag reference l’ve seen in a while. What does that even mean? 

odell looks like just your average wr.....does he even have a td yet....he can throw the ball though....maybe he should be the qb and baker the wr...heheheheheeee

Or did he?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2019/10/08/49-ers-richard-sherman-baker-mayfield-handshake-snub/3906447002/

You know, I don't care if he did or not, but I know I'm getting a little tired of the "Baker will be Baker, he needs to get fired up and will keep doing it" crowd. 

His act is hurting the team; he makes opponents extra motivated to beat them.  It's not working. It's never worked in the NFL. Get some humility and give other players some respect. The 9ers threw him around like a rag doll last night. And Seattle and the Pats are licking their chops to get at him. Hoodie would never let his players act so cocky; he knows it's bad for business. 

And is it just me, or does Baker look fat? I swear I saw a big gut on him. 

I liked Baker's "hootspa" but he's taken it too far. And I wonder if Feddie isn't a tad over his head at this point. They better fix it fast. 

And what about this?

"That’s it," Sherman said. "They are making way too big of a story of a blowout. He pissed us off. We put a foot in his (expletive). End of story."

Can we move on to the next story? Is AB in town?   :lol:

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And what about this?

"That’s it," Sherman said. "They are making way too big of a story of a blowout. He pissed us off. We put a foot in his (expletive). End of story."

Can we move on to the next story? Is AB in town?   :lol:

You're missing the bigger picture: handshake or not, his cocky act is motivating teams, period. Bosa barely ever talks trash, but he was messing with BM all night. His Okie act doesn't fly in the NFL. What does being cocky get you when you lose 31-3 and achieve a 1 on the QBR scale? A 1........a 1. That's nearly zero...point....zero. 

29 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Yea, I saw that, but the point remains: His super cocky routine is not helping the team. 

That's true to a point he was a #1 pick and you want to at least have some civility and act like a team leader but I don't think it should be national news and the lead on every sports show.

If the Browns FO doesn't like his attitude or if he's really hurting the team they should deal with it in house.  I don't think he is exactly a Ryan Leaf type but I hope it never goes that far.  We'll see where this goes next.

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That's true to a point he was a #1 pick and you want to at least have some civility and act like a team leader but I don't think it should be national news and the lead on every sports show.

If the Browns FO doesn't like his attitude or if he's really hurting the team they should deal with it in house.  I don't think he is exactly a Ryan Leaf type but I hope it never goes that far.  We'll see where this goes next.

I don't mind confidence one bit, as a matter of fact, it's much needed as part of being a QB. But the overall tone set by him, and a few others, will hurt their chances for success. I don't think you have to imitate everything the Pats do, but they never do this stuff and it's by design.  

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

think the shake & 👀's tell the story...F'k Mike Silver

49er's not only a shit team but full of liars as well! 

49er's will be lucky to go .500 this year. Gift wrapped schedule and all. 

• Haha 1