THE BROWNS BOARD

Fixing The OL: A Long-Term Approach

Unsympathetic

Browns Salary Reference

We have issues at every spot except RG and C.  I think we all agree we now have weapons on O.  Because we don't want Baker to retire early like Luck, it's really time for more resources to go towards the OL.

Luckily, 2020 free agency is going to be pretty ridiculous.  However, we need to balance salary with FA skill.. can't sign another Hubbard.

2019 Salaries: Hubbard: 6.1 / Robinson: 5.5 / Justin McCray 0.65.

But there is hope! Hubbard can be cut after the season for zero dead money, and Robinson/McCray are on one-year deals.  We may still have Hubbard around next season at a crazy salary just because nobody else is willing to sign.. but if we re-sign Robinson you could do a lot worse at the swing tackle spot.

Here's hoping our big FA signing in this upcoming offseason is one of the big OL, and OL is our first-round pick the next 2 seasons as well.

9 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Here's hoping our big FA signing in this upcoming offseason is one of the big OL, and OL is our first-round pick the next 2 seasons as well.

Or hopefully the Browns hire the right people to develop young OLinemen into good, starting caliber starters so they don't have to necessarily spend a lot of money on a OLineman in free agency or use back-to-back 1st rounders on the OLine. 

For example, everyone knows how valuable starting pitchers are in baseball, but some teams can't find them even when they throw big money at them in free agency or use top picks in the draft on pitchers. Other teams, like the Indians, can use lower draft picks or trade for unknown pitchers and develop them into valuable starting pitchers (Beeber, Civale, Plesac, Kluber, Sunshine, etc...)

Other than Bito they're 0-fer.. Count the Schwartz as a success, maybe, but only if you don't like that numerator..

The problem with believing "We'll just internally develop" is that.. Browns have never been able to do that since the buses left to Baltimore.  Those coaches don't just grow on trees.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Other than Bito they're 0-fer.. Count the Schwartz as a success, maybe, but only if you don't like that numerator..

The problem with believing "We'll just internally develop" is that.. Browns have never been able to do that since the buses left to Baltimore.  Those coaches don't just grow on trees.

Man, after thinking about what you said above, you aren't wrong. 

Most of the good OLinemen the Browns have had (off the top of my head) were free agent pickups or high draft picks of the Browns. 

If Hubbard plays anywhere in the realm of decently, l think he sticks around. Ideally you want to upgrade the oline at a certain pace so the guys can all get a degree of familiarity playing alongside each other. Maybe change one guy a year? Something like that? 

The Browns are definitely throwing darts at boards to get Olinemen, it’s just a matter of hitting a bullseye or two.

5 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

I’m thinking the O-Line will be addressed in the first few rounds. Having an extra 4th helps drafting maybe 2 lineman in the top 4 rounds.

Could be a 3rd if Duke Johnson suits up 5 more times.

a free agent vet and a tackle within the first couple rounds and a late flyer on an interior lineman- should do it.  IMO Hubbard is probably the only guy I don’t see as a long term solution 

If you played "Guess the highest paid browns OL," unless you clicked on the OTC link above you wouldn't get the right answer - Hubbard.

Hubbard is the 10th-highest paid player on the team [ #11-13 are Tretter, Bito, Robinson] but has never performed at a level equal to his pay. Salary next year is the same as this year with no guarantee so he may return unless they can swing Trent Williams.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Man, after thinking about what you said above, you aren't wrong. 

Most of the good OLinemen the Browns have had (off the top of my head) were free agent pickups or high draft picks of the Browns. 

The reason is the NFL isn't a developmental league without a minor league system.  The NFL relies on the colleges to develop their players.

Lets see how well guys like Corbett develop.  My guess is they probably won't.

• Upvote 1

Fixing the OL long term? Do nothing that KC has tried to do with Cam Erving jr 🤓.... here's a guy robbing NFL banks, as shown against some wild Colts... careful what you ask for.. Hubbard/Lamm or Forbes has more upside.. Were 1 legit LT away from creating lots of right side battles, imho    

33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What are you talking about? Didn't he just sack the best QB in the NFL by stepping on his ankle?🙄🧐💃

Watch the tape on this one👀...I've been waiting on a smart DC to send 2 lurking missiles at Cam & she had no clue who to block..textbook delays also..PFF score should score this one...Poorest Fatas$ Football    

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The reason is the NFL isn't a developmental league without a minor league system.  The NFL relies on the colleges to develop their players.

Lets see how well guys like Corbett develop.  My guess is they probably won't.

Yes.  The NFL has tried the NFL Europe and other venues like the one just recently that flopped right away so they like the NBA depend on the never ending supply of talent, primary from the semipro P5 conferences, which are almost ready to play professional football.  And they love it virtually free talent.

A marriage made in football heaven......and now you can easily and legally bet on it.

And we love it too GO BUCKEYES!

The longterm solution might be kidnapping Patriots' Oline coach and forcing him to work for us...

• Upvote 1

you don't trade draft picks with Avery's talent..You season them up on the rookie cheap contract, to hopefully replace 15M guys like Vernon..tap the brakes..we finally got some talent by paying some..home growing draft talent must be new to us?   

10 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

you don't trade draft picks with Avery's talent..You season them up on the rookie cheap contract, to hopefully replace 15M guys like Vernon..tap the brakes..we finally got some talent by paying some..home growing draft talent must be new to us?   

ya i can see that but being a healthy scratch makes me scratch my head thinking maybe they are trying to keep him healthy for a reason

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

When a thread title proclaims "Fixing..."

... it'd be nice to see a fix proposed.

Hey, it may not look like that to you, but my proposal, though it might sound kind of a "hispanic solution", was honest.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Hey, it may not look like that to you, but my proposal, though it might sound kind of a "hispanic solution", was honest.

I was referring to the OP... which I did not read beyond.

Had I read on, I'm sure I would have found your solution to be good and included some good set plays for corner kicks...

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

When a thread title proclaims "Fixing..."

... it'd be nice to see a fix proposed.

Ok....how about trading OBJ and whatever to the Skins for Trent Williams.  Maybe trade Hospital Ward and a pick or two for the guy.

Film room shows Freddie/Monken has abandon leaving a RB or TE in to protect the guy they pulled for taking a beating 🤔... P.Brown & D.Harris were put on PS's for a reason..Neither add anything to fixing it & are becoming a main part of it when asked to block studs like Bosa's... Next draft is full of good route running TE's...good Blocking TE's? not so much...Trade dead line might have better options? Speaking of Deadline..Trent Williams has to play 6 to get credit for season....Trade Dead line is 10-29-19 at 4pm...There would be 9 games to play left on our schedule.. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I was referring to the OP... which I did not read beyond.

Had I read on, I'm sure I would have found your solution to be good and included some good set plays for corner kicks...

Pfffffff! I'm still looking for posted photos of Spanish "lookers" dammit!🧐💃