THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Chubb-Should we call him Teddy?

Canton Mike

“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.”
 Theodore Roosevelt

Nick Chubb DEFINES the above quote.

Offensive Player of the Week and, if you watched tonight's "Building The Browns", he just may be the most humble player in the NFL. I love the kid (yes, to me he's still a kid) & I am SO glad he's a Cleveland Brown!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Teddy? How dare a man, lasting more than 4 hours ever change his name from Chubb...  7AOq.gif      HRPo.gif                               A Dawg named Sue..Get Out!!  

• Haha 2

My thoughts on him exactly. You could get that by watching him on Mic’d Up this week. I’ll never forget the scene in the airport on hard knocks when they were coming in and everyone was slobbing over Bakers knob. He stood quietly while one guy came and asked “Are you a player? What’s your name?” “Nick.” Couldn’t believe people didn’t either know who he was or didn’t care. Always knew this kid was going to be a beast. 

• Upvote 4

He's perfect for us.  The anti-Baker.

I've said in other threads 'Is he fast or what'?  And he's a powerful runner.  He can catch.  He's a good, and a smart, blocker.  He is just what we need at RB. - I was scared shitless when Dorsey didn't draft him at the top of round 2.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Orion said:

I've said in other threads 'Is he fast or what'?  And he's a powerful runner.  He can catch.  He's a good, and a smart, blocker.  He is just what we need at RB. - I was scared shitless when Dorsey didn't draft him at the top of round 2.

I've thought about this before and again during the last game that he reminds me of Jim Brown......only faster!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Me too. I host a 3 day draft party & I was really upset when they took an OL instead of Chubb with that 1st 2nd round pick. Sheer luck that we got him.

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Me too. I host a 3 day draft party & I was really upset when they took an OL instead of Chubb with that 1st 2nd round pick. Sheer luck that we got him.

Mike

My wife was asking why I was yelling at the Browns for the unknown OL pick. "They are crazy. The only great RB left is sitting right there in their hands and they take a 4th rounder at best!!" Then she heard the audible, "Oh thank God. They finally get one right!" Of course this past year I was going bananas that Wilson was still unpicked through the 4th.

But I am still most famous here for my Derrick Henry rants! Can you imagine having both of those guys!? No one could stop us in the 4th Q. EDIT: Coleman, they took f'n Coleman! And the Ogbah!?? Insanity reined then in the Cleveland draft room.

Only question around Chubb at the draft was his knee... I'm sure some teams dropped him down their boards due to it.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I've thought about this before and again during the last game that he reminds me of Jim Brown......only faster!

Brown didn't block...

• Thanks 1

again..The Giants took Barkley..Dorsey had to of known from his good buddy Gettelman? that Dave was not trading out of 2.2 taking Guard Hernandez pick? Opened door to take Chubb at 2.3...and thanks again G-men...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

How was it sheer luck?  The giants were the only draft pick between our two picks and had already picked Barkley. They weren't going running back again....

7 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

How was it sheer luck?  The giants were the only draft pick between our two picks and had already picked Barkley. They weren't going running back again....

NYG could have traded that pick to a team with a chubby for our Nick...

Four picks later TB took Ronald Jones... and maybe he was their guy... but maybe he was their guy after Chubb.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

NYG could have traded that pick to a team with a chubby for our Nick...

They could have but I imagine Dorsey did his homework and called gettleman about if they were thinking about trading out of that pick. If some think it was luck he slid to the 2nd round I'll buy that but I dont buy this notion we were lucky and should have drafted him at 33 instead of 35. I had very little concern or thought the giants were trading out then because they were still in win now mode and I'm sure Dorsey had more information than us.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My wife was asking why I was yelling at the Browns for the unknown OL pick. "They are crazy. The only great RB left is sitting right there in their hands and they take a 4th rounder at best!!" Then she heard the audible, "Oh thank God. They finally get one right!" Of course this past year I was going bananas that Wilson was still unpicked through the 4th.

But I am still most famous here for my Derrick Henry rants! Can you imagine having both of those guys!? No one could stop us in the 4th Q. EDIT: Coleman, they took f'n Coleman! And the Ogbah!?? Insanity reined then in the Cleveland draft room.

Um, ya know Ag, if he stays  out of trouble, week nine we get this Kareem Hunt feller  back. I've heard he's  pretty good  too. :)

I was freaking elated that Chubb was there in the second round. Amazed, too. Canton Mike kept telling me the Browns were going to draft Baker, but I was not sure on Baker for a good while, then I came around a bit more....and Ward was a no-brainer.

then, they drafted Corbett with that second round pick, and I could have choked on my root beer, but I was eating a pretzel at the time. I was sure, like Tour mentioned, that another team could have traded in-between the Browns two picks and nabbed Chubb. I think I said "I sure hope he's another Bitonio". He isn't.

Now, most teams in the NFL wish they could go back and draft Chubb much higher, I'll bet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/09/30/nick-chubb-kyle-allen-eye-popping-stats-week-4-nfl/3816865002/

2: Nick Chubb — who had an 88-yard touchdown run against the Ravens — now has two touchdown runs of 85 yards or more in his first two NFL seasons (he also had a 92-yard touchdown run in Week 10 of last season). Chubb joins Bob Hoernschemeyer (remember him? He had two such TD runs from 1946-47) and Chris Johnson (three from 2008-09) as the only players with at least two touchdown runs of 85 yards or more in their first two seasons.

To.
The.
House.@NickChubb21, everybody. pic.twitter.com/RCeJGdSsaX

— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) September 29, 2019

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Um, ya know Ag, if he stays  out of trouble, week nine we get this Kareem Hunt feller  back. I've heard he's  pretty good  too. :)

Wow it's already week 5 time flies I almost forgot about Mr Hunt....... hopefully he comes back rested and with his head screwed on right.  Might be a deadly running attack to go with the passing attack. Whoa.

12 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Wow it's already week 5 time flies I almost forgot about Mr Hunt....... hopefully he comes back rested and with his head screwed on right.  Might be a deadly running attack to go with the passing attack. Whoa.

I think Hunt and Chubb in the backfield at the same time has to be a scary thought to defenses.

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

again..The Giants took Barkley..Dorsey had to of known from his good buddy Gettelman? that Dave was not trading out of 2.2 taking Guard Hernandez pick? Opened door to take Chubb at 2.3...and thanks again G-men...

....and I understood at the time that only the Giants stood between us and our next pick....but there was always the chance of a trade....and the mere fact that we DID NOT draft him 2.1, and we took some guy on page 5 of our draft sheets instead, had me wondering what sort of value Dorsey assigned to Chubb.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Only question around Chubb at the draft was his knee... I'm sure some teams dropped him down their boards due to it.

Brown didn't block...

He didn't have to with his pulling guards and they didn't have today's passing game.

When you lead the league in rushing 8 of 9 seasons nobody questions your blocking.

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

He didn't have to with his pulling guards and they didn't have today's passing game.

When you lead the league in rushing 8 of 9 seasons nobody questions your blocking.

In an interview, maybe 10-15 years ago he said that it was his biggest regret regarding his career.  He said that he should've been a tenacious blocker.

20 minutes ago, Orion said:

, had me wondering what sort of value Dorsey assigned to Chubb.

High....At time of Chubb draft..Crow was already gone..Hyde was in.. but carrying a high price tag..Duke-Dayes & 3 other Dudds.. sometimes it's good gm's know guys in this business..see Ray farmer or S.Brn... 

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

When you have a big gun, you shoot it.  You don't use it for a fence post.

But it was a two back system back then.  The less 'stuck-up' guys blocked for each other....and the QB.     (I won't even mention that he was a FB.....cos it meant something different then)

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Again we see now that Corbett has sucked but most pre draft projections had him 2nd round and most graded the pick an "a a- or b+" after the pick was made.  

Yeah, I saw you said that......but I had to dig deep into my draft list to find that guys name.  And as I recall, most thought it was a surprising reach.