THE BROWNS BOARD

Christian Kirksey undergoing season-ending surgery

Canton Dawg

Browns captain Christian Kirksey undergoing season-ending surgery on torn pectoral muscle

Christian Kirksey hoped to avoid surgery and return to action for the Browns this season, but it didn’t work out for the captain and starting linebacker.

Kirksey was scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday to repair a torn pectoral muscle he suffered Sept. 16 in a 23-3 win over the New York Jets on “Monday Night Football,” a person familiar with the situation confirmed.

The Browns placed Kirksey on injured reserve on Sept. 21. Two players from every NFL team are eligible to return from IR after sitting out eight games, but Kirksey won’t be one of them now.

The Browns also have starting tight end David Njoku (broken wrist), backup quarterback Drew Stanton (knee) and rookie backup guard Drew Forbes (knee) on IR.

Rookie fifth-round draft pick Mack Wilson has started at linebacker in place of Kirksey the past two games. Wilson has tallied 16 tackles and a pass defensed.

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Glad my favorite player from this year's draft is here to replace him. 5th round was ridiculous. Steal of the decade for the Browns.

Oh well, Kirksey has played nine games in the past two years, nothing like having quality depth....  

How many can be brought back from IR now? Used to be one, but was increased before '18 season IIRC...

I highlighted the question... right clicked... selected "search with Google" and wha-la...

The NFL recently changed the IR-return designation so that teams are allowed to bring two players back from IR. Previously, the rule allowed just one player to return from the list, though most teams have more than one injured player capable of returning at some point in the season.Sep 3, 2017

So is now 2 and change was made at start of '17 season.

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Glad my favorite player from this year's draft is here to replace him. 5th round was ridiculous. Steal of the decade for the Browns.

I think he can & will be the dominant, physical LB I have wanted here for YEARS! Sorry for the Kirksey injury, but happy for Mack. I am another who can't believe he lasted 'till round 5.

Mike

• 2 months later...

The Browns are paying 27 MILLION Dollars in dead money this year, next year it drops to 3 million. No need to cut anybody, we need to keep this unit together.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Why did we disrespect Joe Haden? We could’ve had Joe and Ward? Or am I missing something.. we released him due to a 4 million dollar paycut that he didn’t want to take....

Freakn  Haden and that INT that sealed the game for them. I just wished he didn't go to the stealers. You just knew sooner or later  he'd make a big play against us.

Big play? Haden was in a freakin' deep zone and the ball was thrown to his area...

Joe was a borderline great CB early in his career. We got the best he had to offer and moved on. He's now a good, vet CB nothing more.

• Upvote 1

some folks need to remember, Haden had a lift put in his ankle, that I thought he'd never be the same player ever again..Good on Joe! he's clearly worked his tail off to get back to the close as Joe Haden..  also,

This should Surprise no one...We offered Haden the Same amount of money that Pittsburgh ended up paying.  7M.  The Problem was we* were the team telling Joe he was not playing up to his previous contract..  and he was not

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Nero said:

Tbh, Kirksey is the most expensive cheerleader ever. 

I love the guy, not the player. 

Been hurt the last two years, I  won't be  surprised at all  if he gets released.  Ray Lewis  he's not.