THE BROWNS BOARD

Can We Just Resign Schobert Already?

Ibleedbrown

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190930/joe-schobert-after-career-game-the-vibe-is-really-good

I’m of the opinion that Joe Schobert is not just good for this team, but great for this team, and possibly integral to this team. This isn’t based off his performance in any one game, but his body of work so far. 

I’m impressed with the way he goes about his business and the effectiveness with which he does it. He’s not even talking about his contract year. How admirable is that? 

He just does his job and does it well. Pay that man.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... he's due.

Question is "at what price"?

image.png.af3df732b5e718185fd6e2d5781faa52.png

I’m happy to see him making a couple mil this year. Not sure what fair market value is these days for a MLB and basically captain of the defense, but “fair” is built into that term and l’d say he’s earned it.

• Like 1

Dude, Schobert has been straight BALLING this year. Mack Wilson is going to be so much better just learning from him. Sign him...now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's going to get interesting the next few years...

There is a lot of talent on this team now, young talent, and they won't be able to keep everyone. Hard decisions await Mr. Dorsey. 

And the salary cap long-term is what concerns me regarding him. 

• Like 1

The good NFL linebackers do not come cheap anymore!

The salaries for the top linebackers in the NFL keep going up.

The elite ones are especially reaping the benefit of those increasing salaries.

19 linebackers now make at least $10 million in average annual salary per year, per overthecap.com, a site that tracks NFL player contracts (through Aug. 13, 2019).

7 make at least $15 million.

NFL's highest paid linebackers (average salary per year):

• 1. Bears linebacker Khalil Mack: $23.5 million
  • 2. Broncos linebacker Von Miller: $19.1 million
  • 3. Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner: $18 million
  • 4. Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley: $17 million
  • 5. Packers linebacker Za'Darius Smith: $16.5 million
  • 6. Cardinals linebacker Chandler Jones: $16.5 million
  • 7. Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney: $15.97 million
  • 8. Falcons linebacker Deion Jones: $14.25 million
  • 9. Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr: $13.5 million
  • 10. 49ers linebacker Kwon Alexander: $13.5 million

I think ol' Joe and his agent are going to be two happy guys when he goes to sign his next contract.

OK who will start the bidding?  Do I hear $8,000,000?     :D

36 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Really hope Wilson seizes third opportunity with kirko out. Hopefully we can trade him for mid draft pick. If we can't find a partner We save 7 million cutting him next year 9 million in 2021.

And There is the money or most of it  to pay Schobert.  We will go two backers a lot anyway.  Wilson is fine he’s just going to get better in time - He’s Young too. hopefully Taki develops for depth and in 3 backer sets- that could be your core for the next four years 

Hope we have a really good cap guru...

Joe's very, very good, but he's not Mosley/Wagner good. Both of them can do everything at least as well as Joe does... plus they lay the lumber.

Lumber's just not Joe's thing.

And that's what I still want in my MLB... LUMBER!!!

Maybe Joe could play inside next to my guy in a 3-4... Stand Myles up... 😮

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Joe's very, very good, but he's not Mosley/Wagner good. Both of them can do everything at least as well as Joe does... plus they lay the lumber.

Eh, but Myles likes getting in that sprinter's stance which I have no doubt came from his sprinter Mom who was an All American high hurdler.

lol... that was tongue-in-cheek, Ag...

While I think he could be effective as an oversized, 3-4 OLB, his real impact comes from having a hand in the dirt.

And even tho the two are not mutually exclusive, I like our 4-3 now... or is it a 4-2??? ;)

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think we all appreciate a solid thumping tackle when opportunity arises, but there’s something to be said for using good technique to pry a ball loose instead of sheer force. Joe’s got a forced fumble this year.

And with the whole “availability is the best ability” thing l have a hard time faulting a guy for sparing his shoulder for another day if he’s still getting results.

I really see that as how the game is going anyway with all the rules protecting players and when and where you can hit them. 

• Upvote 1