THE BROWNS BOARD

How bad do the Browns destroy 49ers?

Icecube

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about here:  Brown WR talent not being useful?  Do you not expect the Browns to pass the ball?  You need to explain that one.

I don't think they're going to be incredibly useful. They'll still be useful for their yards after catch, but I'm not expecting any 5 second drops with long balls 40 yards deep.

1 hour ago, Marvin49 said:

RE Shon Coleman - he was going to be the #3 tackle, the swing tackle, before dislocating his ankle in preseason. Starters are Staley and McGlinchey. The line has actually played very well this year, including against the D-Line that gave up 8 sacks on Monday Night. 

I also keep reading about ways to deal with Bosa and Ford, but you aren't even talking about the best player on the D. DeForest Buckner.

You could be right on everything else. We'll see. 

I think many of you are greatly underestimating your opponent, but its all good.  :)   Should be fun on Monday.

Sean Coleman was an early draft pick of the Browns, not too many years ago.  There is a reason he is not here now.   9ers are probably in better hands with who they have in there now.

1 minute ago, steelersfan412 said:

I don't think they're going to be incredibly useful. They'll still be useful for their yards after catch, but I'm not expecting any 5 second drops with long balls 40 yards deep.

Well, a huge part of the Browns "WR talent" is just that:   YAC.   Did you see OBJs short catch/long run,  or Landry's short catch/long run?  That is more their strength.  I mean, the Browns have not really thrown a lot of long bomb passes.   A few, not many.    (and to be fair, our OL has not been all that great at protection and giving Baker a lot of time)   And as for our WR talent....It will help if Callaway and Higgins can contribute what they do.  Though it seems that Landry may be out.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Icecube said:

Considering how the Browns dismantled the Ravens (dropped 45 on their @ss), how bad do they crush the 9ers?

- Keep in mind, coaches finally realized you need to rush the ball to win. After successful rush plays, it forces the opposing D to play more honest and that opens up the passing lanes, and keeps the LBs on their heels. It means everything. Now that the Browns know this, we should see continued prolific points from now on. 

- 9ers are giving up 18 points per game vs. Browns 22.8. That stat's meaningless. SF played TB, Cinci and Pgh - 3 of the weakest teams in the NFL. Browns' D is way better. 

- Baker now understands he has to be amped up every game, not just show up. 

- Considering they just knocked out the Ravens' teeth for 45, Browns should score over 50 on the 9ers. This game might not even be close.  

You're forgetting one thing- the Browns have historically played like crap on the West Coast. Let's hope that changes....

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, a huge part of the Browns "WR talent" is just that:   YAC.   Did you see OBJs short catch/long run,  or Landry's short catch/long run?  That is more their strength.  I mean, the Browns have not really thrown a lot of long bomb passes.   A few, not many.    (and to be fair, our OL has not been all that great at protection and giving Baker a lot of time)   And as for our WR talent....It will help if Callaway and Higgins can contribute what they do.  Though it seems that Landry may be out.

That was pretty much my point. Baker doesn't get much time. He will probably get less time in this game.

23 minutes ago, steelersfan412 said:

Believe it not OBJ is a better 5-10 and then YAC guy.  He may be a better long term deep threat but he’s made his hay in that range with the Giants.  He’s a known commodity in the short and  intermediate range 

Landry if he isn’t hitting seam route is the prototypical YAC guy.

this is incredibly useful moving the chains and scoring points.  

When this offense gets humming this is where we will hurt defenses 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Sean Coleman was an early draft pick of the Browns, not too many years ago.  There is a reason he is not here now.   9ers are probably in better hands with who they have in there now.

One of the Niner preseason games not the one in Denver where Jimmy had like 2 picks and was 0-6...he was hurt and the play by play guys said they were counting on him as a swing tackle well his time would have been now and I agree he’s no good does this also so the Niners current starter Skule no good as well- we will see Monday 

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I know.

I wouldn't want him as a starter, but in this league where tackles who can play are a rare commodity, he wasn't bad as a Swing Tackle...or at least, the coaching staff seemed to fine with him in that role as he never really had a chance to play.

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Believe it not OBJ is a better 5-10 and then YAC guy.  He may be a better long term deep threat but he’s made his hay in that range with the Giants.  He’s a known commodity in the short and  intermediate range 

Landry if he isn’t hitting seam route is the prototypical YAC guy.

this is incredibly useful moving the chains and scoring points.  

When this offense gets humming this is where we will hurt defenses 

Just a note...if it turns into a 2 second drop short passing game, you will see A LOT of Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner dropping into coverage...which they are really good at.

Honestly, I think the best way to attack SF is a lot of runs and play action.

1 minute ago, Marvin49 said:

Just a note...if it turns into a 2 second drop short passing game, you will see A LOT of Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner dropping into coverage...which they are really good at.

Browns saw some Kwon last year.  It was the game he tore his ACL.

the Browns RPO (if Freddies cooking with good playcalling) makes opposing Backers think and react quickly.  They will be challenged 

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

One of the Niner preseason games not the one in Denver where Jimmy had like 2 picks and was 0-6...he was hurt and the play by play guys said they were counting on him as a swing tackle well his time would have been now and I agree he’s no good does this also so the Niners current starter Skule no good as well- we will see Monday 

It was actually the very first quarter of the very first preseason game vs Dallas. The staff seemed to like him but to be fair I've seen so little of him on the field that I can't say how he's looked in SF. Injury was gnarly tho. TV didn't really show it, but I was at the game. his foot was pointed in the wrong direction. ugg.

Honestly, I dunno what to do with opinions of prior players whose fanbase hates them but play well in SF. Its happened a bit. Laken Tomlinson is a good example. Detroit wanted that guy out BAD, but he's actually been pretty good in SF. Change of scenery? Different Scheme? Dunno. Coleman may very well have sucked just as bad, but I don't know why the SF staff liked him.

They did something similar a few days ago signing Teez Tabor who Detroit fans HATED. He's on PS so you won't see him, but I kinda like the signing of guys previously taken high and giving them another shot. Costs you almost nothing.

As for Skule...yeah, he makes me nervous. On the plus side, while it may not always be pretty, he started A LOT of games in the SEC. The lights won't be too big for him...but #95 might be. My guess is they scheme for him. Chip with TEs and RBs. Line up TE Levine Toilolo, etc.

Still, that to me is the biggest challenge of the game for SF.

37 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

Well...I think we did a lot of that vs. the Ravens....to great success.   At least it seemed that way.   Maybe someone else here can tell us how much Play action the Browns used. 

22 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

It was actually the very first quarter of the very first preseason game vs Dallas. The staff seemed to like him but to be fair I've seen so little of him on the field that I can't say how he's looked in SF. Injury was gnarly tho. TV didn't really show it, but I was at the game. his foot was pointed in the wrong direction. ugg.

Honestly, I dunno what to do with opinions of prior players whose fanbase hates them but play well in SF. Its happened a bit. Laken Tomlinson is a good example. Detroit wanted that guy out BAD, but he's actually been pretty good in SF. Change of scenery? Different Scheme? Dunno. Coleman may very well have sucked just as bad, but I don't know why the SF staff liked him.

They did something similar a few days ago signing Teez Tabor who Detroit fans HATED. He's on PS so you won't see him, but I kinda like the signing of guys previously taken high and giving them another shot. Costs you almost nothing.

As for Skule...yeah, he makes me nervous. On the plus side, while it may not always be pretty, he started A LOT of games in the SEC. The lights won't be too big for him...but #95 might be. My guess is they scheme for him. Chip with TEs and RBs. Line up TE Levine Toilolo, etc.

Still, that to me is the biggest challenge of the game for SF.

Well....maybe you guys should sign  Antonio Brown then....speaking of guys that every fan base hates. 

46 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Browns saw some Kwon last year.  It was the game he tore his ACL.

the Browns RPO (if Freddies cooking with good playcalling) makes opposing Backers think and react quickly.  They will be challenged 

Until you get a safety that walks down on one with little regard for a double move.

13 hours ago, steelersfan412 said:

Chubb has proved he can be a downhill beast

.. and he ain't bad uphill either.

Baker had a rough start, but if Week 4 was any indication I do not expect him to be shaken as Rudolph, who is essentially a rookie, was.

13 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

The dude is a monster in the run game. He's a big reason they are running so well.

Yup... a big reason he's atop PFF rankings is his runblocking.

Did I mentioned I loved Kittle coming out of Iowa? He was one of those "distractions" I come across every once in a while when I'm scouting OL for the Draft. And even I did not see him developing to his current level.

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Let’s not act like the niners have this good line - they were counting on Shon Coleman until a Preseason injury- he’d probably be in the lineup on a Monday.  Remember him?

Yup... great story... good PassPro... weak run blocker... but c'mon... SF's OL is good.

Joe Staley is a quality LT. Tomlinson (LG) is a good OG and Person (RG) is even better. Richburg is a capable Center. Only their RT, McGlinchey, is a liability and he will be flanked by Kittle much of the day.

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think they want to run at Dee Ford and I think we are going to test the great rookie Bosa out of the gate and use his aggressiveness against him.  I expect doubles on Ford and off tackle runs and screens over Bosa.

Agree... run at speed and away from power... of course when a player has both, as Bosa does, it's a little more complicated. Si, yes, take advantage of his relative inexperience.

40 minutes ago, Marvin49 said:

Coleman simply never realized his potential in CLE. He survived illness and injury, and was behind when he came to camp with us.

I scouted him coming out of Auburn... great feet and decent technique in PassPro... he simply was not strong enough for at least how we asked him to run block... power game. He's much better suited to the ZBS... which I assume Shannie still favors.

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Coleman simply never realized his potential in CLE. He survived illness and injury, and was behind when he came to camp with us.

I scouted him coming out of Auburn... great feet and decent technique in PassPro... he simply was not strong enough for at least how we asked him to run block... power game. He's much better suited to the ZBS... which I assume Shannie still favors.

So? You had "provisos" about him?   :lol:

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

That makes a lot of sense. The ZBS is why they moved on from Trent Brown and why I think Laken Tomlinson is succeeding. Staley has always been uber athletic for a tackle as he was a converted TE.

People make such a big deal about the 5 first round pick on the D-Line (tho Dee Ford was a 1st rounder by KC, not SF), but they don't realize ther are 3 1st round picks and a 2 on the O-Line (Staley, McGlinchey, and Tomlinson are 1sts, Richburg is a 2).

1 hour ago, choco said:

believe he's out with a broken leg? rookie 6th rounder playing in his place...

Yes....hairline fracture of the fibula. He'll be back in a month.

Justin Skule replaced him last week and stayed off the stat sheet (which is good), but Bud Dupree ain't Myles Garrett.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I think we did a lot of that vs. the Ravens....to great success.   At least it seemed that way.   Maybe someone else here can tell us how much Play action the Browns used. 

Yes we did.  It felt like the game plan was more Freddie 2018 and nothing like the first 3 games.  

Makes it a little more difficult to game plan for us on Monday.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Joe Staley is a quality LT. Tomlinson (LG) is a good OG and Person (RG) is even better. Richburg is a capable Center. Only their RT, McGlinchey, is a liability and he will be flanked by Kittle much of the day.

Individually they have some talent, but the most common complaint I see echo'd by their fans is the Oline play.

PFF tends to share this assessment as well.     Haven't gone to watch them at all myself though.

40 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Individually they have some talent, but the most common complaint I see echo'd by their fans is the Oline play.

PFF tends to share this assessment as well.     Haven't gone to watch them at all myself though.

I mean its a difficult thing really. At issue is that they have offensive linemen that fit what they do. Is it the Dallas Cowboy line? Not close.

They are all athletes who can move in that ZBS system, but are they gonna just drop anchor and pass protect for 50-60 passes? No. Garoppolo making fast decisions, getting the ball out quick, and heavy play action has really helped them. I'd expect to see a lot more of that.

I wouldn't expect them to go deep more than 2 or 3 times AT MOST and focus on play action passes on quick developing plays and a lot of running the ball, even if it doesn't look like its working early on. They won't just drop him back and let him be a target for Garrett.

1 hour ago, Marvin49 said:

They won't just drop him back and let him be a target for Garrett.

Awwww.... you guys are no fun...

3 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

That makes a lot of sense.

I have my moments, but now I've used up October already.

4 hours ago, choco said:

believe he's out with a broken leg? rookie 6th rounder playing in his place...

3 hours ago, Marvin49 said:

Yes....hairline fracture of the fibula. He'll be back in a month.

Justin Skule replaced him last week and stayed off the stat sheet (which is good), but Bud Dupree ain't Myles Garrett.

I was looking at SF's "Official" Depth Chart... I should have known better. Teams are terrible at maintaining those.

Skule never got on my radar. Was just reading his Combine profile. These parts caught my eye...

• Works with elevated pad level and below-average leverage
  • Gives ground against modest bulrush attempts

Miles just might have himself a game Monday nite.