THE BROWNS BOARD

Raiders Vontaze Burfict suspended for season for helmet to helmet hit

mjp28

ESPN - 

Raiders LB Vontaze Burfict will be suspended for the remainder of the 2019 season for helmet-to-helmet hit on Colts TE Jack Doyle on Sunday.

Screenshot_2019-09-30_121234.jpg

58 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

ESPN - 

Raiders LB Vontaze Burfict will be suspended for the remainder of the 2019 season for helmet-to-helmet hit on Colts TE Jack Doyle on Sunday.

Didn't see the play, but this guy should retire already.... Cost the Bungles a playoff win against the Steelers too....  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/30/vontaze-burfict-suspension-history

OK, found the video- I don't know about a year, but 8 games minimum. Headhunter Harrison got nothing on this guy....  

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

AHH!!  Punctuation is everything!      Let's eat grandma.   Let's eat, grandma.

I could see the initiate confusion right away. With that said I really do think Burfict scrambled AB brains with that hit years ago that may be causing CTE in his head. So I guess we can thank him for getting him out of division 😕

• Haha 1

That sort of hit was dirty 20 years ago, let alone now with better protections for players. Lord knows I wasn't a prime time player, but I played enough football to know you tackle like that on purpose. I have no problem with the suspension at all, but I'd be surprised if the full season holds up. 8-10 games no doubt though.

I get the suspension, but how about the hit on Allen by the patriots player, or the hit on Peters by that huge Oline man? And we know VB past, but suspending 1 where there were just as bad of hits across the board. Haven't seen anything as of yet about them hits being reviewed. There needs to be a standard across the board that is followed.

22 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

I get the suspension, but how about the hit on Allen by the patriots player, or the hit on Peters by that huge Oline man? And we know VB past, but suspending 1 where there were just as bad of hits across the board. Haven't seen anything as of yet about them hits being reviewed. There needs to be a standard across the board that is followed.

Well, there's a reason a judge strongly considers a person's record when deeming a sentence - it's meaningful. If this was the first time he laid a hit like this, probably no suspension at all, just a fine. But how many times has he hit someone dirty? 10? Sad thing is, he'd be quite a good player if he wasn't so dirty. 

• Upvote 1

Funny how Harrison never got any suspension even after knocking 2 of our guys out in the same game and neither play even drew a fucking flag but they did fine his roid lovin ass but so what, How many Browns players have taken head shots and never got a flag yet the player gets fined? You really believe the refs missed all those calls or do they just say fuck the Browns like the rest of the NFL? So sick of it, Had that hit been on our TE that would not of been called. This is bullshit, Myles gets taken down by his facemask and the refs want to flag myles for whatever they think of. I am so over refs making the sport unwatchable. 

• Like 1

Different time medman...

This wasn't even the crown... just the high brow.

But you can't get more "defenseless" than Doyle was there. That hit could have Daryl Stingley'd him...

Balance of the season works for me.

And this little tidbit.  Is the penalty too harsh or not? Anyone surprised?

The league said that he will be not be paid during the suspension, which covers the postseason as well. The league cited repeated violations of unnecessary roughness rules.

NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan's wrote a letter to Burfict explaining the decision.

"There were no mitigating circumstances on this play," it said. "Your contact was unnecessary, flagrant and should have been avoided. For your actions, you were penalized and disqualified from the game. Following each of your previous rule violations, you were warned by me and each of the jointly-appointed officers that future violations would result in escalated accountability measures. However, you have continued to flagrantly abuse rules designated to protect yourself and your opponents from unnecessary risk."

Burfict's history

15246.png&w=120&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true

Vontaze Burfict's season-long suspension for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Jack Doyle is the fourth league-imposed ban of the linebacker's career.

YEAR GAMES
PEDs 2018 4
Illegal hit 2017 3
Illegal hit 2016 3

The 29-year-old Burfict received 13 suspensions and fines in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before signing with the Raiders as a free agent this offseason. Two of the suspensions were for illegal hits, totaling six games.

This is Burfict's first season with the Raiders, and he was named a team captain. <------- really your team leader? The Raider way?

• Thanks 1

Well, that was a pretty flagrant and intentional foul.  Based on his past disregard for the protection rules, gone for the year?  I'm good with that.

I can still see in my mind's eye when Jim McMahon threw an INT against the packers...and then one of the DLinemen grabbed him and slammed him on his head & shoulder.  I remember thinking, "In reality, criminal proceedings should be brought against that guy."  

They were just discussing this before halftime on MNF, everybody is crucifying Burfict and his hit and history of bad conduct.

Will anyone else want him next year?  Too toxic?

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

They were just discussing this before halftime on MNF, everybody is crucifying Burfict and his hit and history of bad conduct.

Will anyone else want him next year?  Too toxic?

Booger made the point that the coaches that keep putting him on the field are part of the problem. I agree with him. It really also burns my ass to see Burflict laughing as he’s ejected running of the field. He is a friggin psychopath. 

Back in the day, Gregg Williams would've loved to have had him.

Quite simply, he plays the game the way it use to be played.  It ain't played like that no more.  And it never should have been.

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

Concussions.  And what they will do to the game of football.

Yes concussions and the related CTE plus all of the other debilitating injuries that if a player is lucky lasts about 3.4 years. It's a brutal sport to say the least.

The NFL has already settled for billions of dollars and there will probably be more to come.

And then there's peewee, high school and up participation is dropping every year.......but that's another discussion for another day.

• Thanks 1

And the asshole was blowing kisses to the Indy crowd as he ran up the tunnel...

Such a waste of talent.

Loved the league letter to him.

image.png.1fc9ef13cadbee182e43c3b20dadbd99.png

• Upvote 1

I know this was brought up on here many years back, but how would any of you Dawgs feel if Dorsey brought him to the Land? I don't think you can count on the guy, he is a penalty waiting and a pos person. I don't want no thugs on our team. I a sure we mite have 1 or 2 now but if so they hide it well. V.B. is the type of person to drive by a car accident with people injured ad just laugh and not offer help. IMO he is the same as the Roid Monkey Harrison 

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And this little tidbit.  Is the penalty too harsh or not? Anyone surprised?

The league said that he will be not be paid during the suspension, which covers the postseason as well. The league cited repeated violations of unnecessary roughness rules.

NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan's wrote a letter to Burfict explaining the decision.

"There were no mitigating circumstances on this play," it said. "Your contact was unnecessary, flagrant and should have been avoided. For your actions, you were penalized and disqualified from the game. Following each of your previous rule violations, you were warned by me and each of the jointly-appointed officers that future violations would result in escalated accountability measures. However, you have continued to flagrantly abuse rules designated to protect yourself and your opponents from unnecessary risk."

Burfict's history

15246.png&w=120&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=true

Vontaze Burfict's season-long suspension for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Jack Doyle is the fourth league-imposed ban of the linebacker's career.

YEAR GAMES
PEDs 2018 4
Illegal hit 2017 3
Illegal hit 2016 3

The 29-year-old Burfict received 13 suspensions and fines in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals before signing with the Raiders as a free agent this offseason. Two of the suspensions were for illegal hits, totaling six games.

This is Burfict's first season with the Raiders, and he was named a team captain. <------- really your team leader? The Raider way?

Shouldn't surprise you. They brought in a CTE lunatic in AB and then doubled down on known racist in Richard Incognito. The organization and culture there is pure trash.

8 hours ago, medicineman said:

I know this was brought up on here many years back, but how would any of you Dawgs feel if Dorsey brought him to the Land? I don't think you can count on the guy, he is a penalty waiting and a pos person. I don't want no thugs on our team. I a sure we mite have 1 or 2 now but if so they hide it well. V.B. is the type of person to drive by a car accident with people injured ad just laugh and not offer help. IMO he is the same as the Roid Monkey Harrison 

Prior to this hit I might have been open to it under the proviso that he was told, "Any instance of purposeful targeting, and you're gone."

Now? No way... he's shown cheap shots are "in his nature".

I despised Harrison's style as much as anyone.... still remember his double KO game of Colt and Massaquoi... but the difference between Burfict and Harrison is that in most of Harrison's days head shots were legal except on a QB in the pocket. And if you remember his last days, when the new rules were emerging, James removed those shots from his repertoire.

Bottom line.... by comparison Harrison was a model citizen.