THE BROWNS BOARD

So.... are we now fixed or are the Ravens not that good?

Tour2ma

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The problem comes in the form of the predetermination. THAT'S what he has to avoid, and he needs to trust himself and read the defense. The other thing to work on is the occasional "feeling imaginary pressure and rolling right for no reason" hiccup.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10/how-baker-mayfield-stopped-rolling-into-chaos-and-started-throwing-from-the-pocket-vs-ravens-film-review.html

You nailed it. That is the biggest difference from being just OK to great. ALL great QBs do NOT predetermine where to throw a pass (unless it's obvious like most screen plays). Great QBs drop back and make reads. The 2 greatest QBs of all time (Montana and Brady) were/are masters of not blindly pretermining where to go. Heck, Joe used to make 4 reads and then go back to read #1 after doing so. Bad QBs blinding assume where to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

You nailed it. That is the biggest difference from being just OK to great. ALL great QBs do NOT predetermine where to throw a pass (unless it's obvious like most screen plays). Great QBs drop back and make reads. The 2 greatest QBs of all time (Montana and Brady) were/are masters of not blindly pretermining where to go. Heck, Joe used to make 4 reads and then go back to read #1 after doing so. Bad QBs blinding assume where to go. 

It's funny, you know how sometimes you just need a bit of luck? Well, we got a good amount Sunday and it was great. You want Exhibit A of Baker predetermined good luck? I believe it was 1st and goal before half and Baker did the RPO (I think) and fired the ball to the inside receiver. This is the pass that got knocked down by the DL, and this was extremely good luck because a defensive back completely read the route and jumped in front of the ball. It would have likely been a pick 6 and changed the game entirely. Go back and watch this play...it's terrifying, lol. 

That play HAD to scare Baker straight, lol. But I'll tell you what, there isn't a QB in the league I'd rather have than Baker when it comes to setting his feet and firing the ball down the seam. He had some gorgeous balls that were NAILS. Most of the Landry throws were dead on and I so hope he's back soon. 

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

The 2 greatest QBs of all time (Montana and Brady) were/are masters of not blindly pretermining where to go. Heck, Joe used to make 4 reads and then go back to read #1 after doing so.

A great QB has a good idea of where he is going to go pre-snap and then adjusts during his drop based on whether the post snap look is developing along the lines of what he saw pre-snap. I loved Joe, but the two that set the standard here in my mind are #12 and P. Manning.

There's another term for going thru all your reads that is more accurate IMO... it's "looking for someone that's open". And that happens either because your pre-snap was wrong or the D has executed to perfection and blanketed all who are out in the pattern.

And there's a third alternate to boot called "get yo' ass sacked"... something Joe had happen a little over twice per start in SF on average.

According to the jack asses on ESPN (well some of their talking heads) Feel the Browns are not fixed and are still a bad team and Baltimore over looked us. There is no way will we ever get respect. We gave the Rams a run for their money, They said the Jets are a bad team so that win does not stand for nothing and then these same ass hats turn around and gave Pisspuke props for beating a "good" Cinci team. I swear even if we would win out from now they would still find ways to discredit us. Now there are a couple out there they gave us some love but they are far and few, Do I thing the Ravens are a bad team? NO. Can they play better than they did Sunday? IDK but we sure as hell played a great game all around. I will feel better once Higgins is back and Callaway and Jarvis. I really believe that would change a lot on offense. Does anybody even know how Higgins got hurt? Seems he only played a few series in the first quarter against the Titans and has not been back since. And now we get Callaway back and mite be losing Jarvis who had his best game Sunday. We can't seem to get ahead. GO BROWNS. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Patience, Grasshopper, patience...

They ain't wearing Orange and Brown so......

It's funny, I'm listening to John Kosko from PFF, and while I don’t put 100% stock in what they do and say, I do believe they’re good as a general guide.  Kosko basically confirms what many of us knew, in that we didn’t necessarily play all THAT great, especially on defense.  We forced the timeliest turnovers on the planet, AND we had a ton of luck.  The deep throw where we blew the coverage and their WR stepped out somehow, the 2 awful drops by Brown (thank God, he’d still be running on the one pass), and the miscommunication on 4th.  I mean, if Lamar recognizes that wheel route with Andrews on 4th down and hits him in stride, that’s probably a TD.  At the very least it’s 20 yards.  But hey, they screwed up!!  Let’s be honest, we were DUE for some freaking good luck, and we also MADE our own luck, too.

Many of us have been critical of our TE’s (ahem, me), specifically Pharoh Brown and Demetrius Harris, but let me tell ya, they blocked their ASSES off against the Ravens.  Time after time our TE’s sealed guys, got to the next level, and helped block all over the field.  They didn’t drop a pass, and Seals-Jones is establishing himself as a legit target.  The evidence doesn’t come from the wide open TD, or even the 59 yard reception.  The evidence for Seals-Jones becoming a viable target stems from the 3rd and 6 catch on the sideline where Mayfield told Seals he was getting it, and he made a gorgeous one-on-one catch in a crucial moment.  THAT means your QB trusts you, and THAT is so important.

This next game is going to be difficult, no way around it.  We’re not likely to be gifted 17 turnovers like the Steelers were (and somehow lost btw), so the next game will come down to holding them to 3 points because I’m pretty sure they’re going to move the ball.  That also means that WE’RE going to need to fix our red zone issues, and Baker and Freddie need to develop some plays that have a better chance of working.  I’m not against trying a fade to Seals-Jones, a QB draw, a shovel-pass, or whatever.  What I DON’T want to see is us going empty backfield and our receivers running a bunch of congested patterns that don’t really have a chance. 

This next game has the possibility of being VERY fun, and we need to find a way to stack some wins.  I don’t love playing teams after their bye, as it seems like everyone is healthier than us, but whatever.  From what I’ve heard on the radio waves, neither Denzel OR Greedy are likely to play.  That doesn’t mean they’re 100% out, but a hamstring injury on a DB is a death knell because it’s just so easy to re-injure it.  Also, like I said in another post, several reporters (including Jim Donovan) said they’d expect to see Landry playing, as his concussion was especially minor and getting that one extra day is vital. 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's funny, I'm listening to John Kosko from PFF, and while I don’t put 100% stock in what they do and say, I do believe they’re good as a general guide.  Kosko basically confirms what many of us knew, in that we didn’t necessarily play all THAT great, especially on defense.  We forced the timeliest turnovers on the planet, AND we had a ton of luck.  The deep throw where we blew the coverage and their WR stepped out somehow, the 2 awful drops by Brown (thank God, he’d still be running on the one pass), and the miscommunication on 4th.  I mean, if Lamar recognizes that wheel route with Andrews on 4th down and hits him in stride, that’s probably a TD.  At the very least it’s 20 yards.  But hey, they screwed up!!  Let’s be honest, we were DUE for some freaking good luck, and we also MADE our own luck, too.

Many of us have been critical of our TE’s (ahem, me), specifically Pharoh Brown and Demetrius Harris, but let me tell ya, they blocked their ASSES off against the Ravens.  Time after time our TE’s sealed guys, got to the next level, and helped block all over the field.  They didn’t drop a pass, and Seals-Jones is establishing himself as a legit target.  The evidence doesn’t come from the wide open TD, or even the 59 yard reception.  The evidence for Seals-Jones becoming a viable target stems from the 3rd and 6 catch on the sideline where Mayfield told Seals he was getting it, and he made a gorgeous one-on-one catch in a crucial moment.  THAT means your QB trusts you, and THAT is so important.

This next game is going to be difficult, no way around it.  We’re not likely to be gifted 17 turnovers like the Steelers were (and somehow lost btw), so the next game will come down to holding them to 3 points because I’m pretty sure they’re going to move the ball.  That also means that WE’RE going to need to fix our red zone issues, and Baker and Freddie need to develop some plays that have a better chance of working.  I’m not against trying a fade to Seals-Jones, a QB draw, a shovel-pass, or whatever.  What I DON’T want to see is us going empty backfield and our receivers running a bunch of congested patterns that don’t really have a chance. 

This next game has the possibility of being VERY fun, and we need to find a way to stack some wins.  I don’t love playing teams after their bye, as it seems like everyone is healthier than us, but whatever.  From what I’ve heard on the radio waves, neither Denzel OR Greedy are likely to play.  That doesn’t mean they’re 100% out, but a hamstring injury on a DB is a death knell because it’s just so easy to re-injure it.  Also, like I said in another post, several reporters (including Jim Donovan) said they’d expect to see Landry playing, as his concussion was especially minor and getting that one extra day is vital. 

We are on the same page with the Secondary. It’s a great story but I fear with a little more execution we are going to get lit up.  The Rams had a hard time for 2 1/2 quarters and Lamar as you pointed out didn’t get a lot of help and didn’t help himself at other times.   We have been assured by folks on here that the game plan will change as Jimmy G will be dinking and dunking Monday night.

I haven’t heard if Ward or Greedy have even tested their injuries.  I think the first step is actually suiting up during the week or before the game and seeing what transpires.

As far as the rankings- I was surprised by some of the low Oline Rankings.  Baker had time and we had over 200 yards.  Penalities were held in check- how else do you evaluate an offensive line. They have Bitonio scored well but everyone is pretty average. If Bitonio is playing this well chances are he’s not covering up much for the guys next to him.  My eyes told me a different story Sunday.

35 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

As far as the rankings- I was surprised by some of the low Oline Rankings.  Baker had time and we had over 200 yards.  Penalities were held in check- how else do you evaluate an offensive line. They have Bitonio scored well but everyone is pretty average. If Bitonio is playing this well chances are he’s not covering up much for the guys next to him.  My eyes told me a different story Sunday.

I was surprised too!  Apparently Kush had a terrible game, but I only really noticed him getting owned once.  There's a good chance we might see Wyatt Tellar soon, but a part of me says...why mess it up?  Let these guys continue to gel, right?  We'll see I guess, but one thing I know about Wyatt Tellar that not everyone will know is the kid is an absolute BEAST in the weight room.  He is completely devoted to getting strong, and he was one of those dudes that threw around 225 like 35 times or something stupid like that.  I kinda want to see him, but also don't want to mess with the chemistry! 

Oh, one quick prediction for next week that's random, but I feel like Mack Wilson is going to make a huge play soon.  Pick-6, fumble return, or strip-sack...SOMETHING is coming from this kid, I feel it!  (I've been wrong about all my random predictions so far, so I have to be right eventually)

🙂

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I was surprised too!  Apparently Kush had a terrible game, but I only really noticed him getting owned once.  There's a good chance we might see Wyatt Tellar soon, but a part of me says...why mess it up?  Let these guys continue to gel, right?  We'll see I guess, but one thing I know about Wyatt Tellar that not everyone will know is the kid is an absolute BEAST in the weight room.  He is completely devoted to getting strong, and he was one of those dudes that threw around 225 like 35 times or something stupid like that.  I kinda want to see him, but also don't want to mess with the chemistry!  🙂

Trading two picks tells you he’s in the fold eventually 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Bear in mind that the grades/ranks I post are cumulative... and some of our OL started in a very deep hole.