THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm Convinced Freddie Is An IDIOT!!

nickers

We go for it on 4th down and run a fucking draw?.. Get this Retard mother fucker out of here and hire a real fucking coach.. and get an oline to go with Bito and Tretter.. The rest of the Oline BLOWS

• Upvote 3

Really is confusing... 

On one hand, he realizes that his starting LT is out and his entire secondary is 3rd string washouts, so he comes up with a draw read option that works extremely well to move the ball and chew clock (Baker was like 13/14 out of it at one point) so they control the time of possession. 

Yet.....

he calls a draw on 4th and 9. 

With 3 time outs and 1st and goal in have to score mode never gives the ball to his Running Back who has been moving the ball really well. 

Continues to call long route passing plays with his QB standing in his own Endzone against the best DT in the league

I don’t want to panic yet, but some of it is concerning 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is concerning.   This game plan tonight looked like shite.   And I never saw any adjustments made to the fact that the pressure came up the middle all night long, forcing Baker to scramble.

Can we say this is just a rookie coach finding his way?  I hope that is what it is, for in not....we will be doing the Hue Jackson thing and demanding a different play caller.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Sure looks like it's gonna be 1-3 after next week

I don’t know. I watched Lamar play today. He’s not a QB. All they have to do is keep him contained and make him throw it and they can beat the ratbirds. 

They did a good job keeping Gurley contained today. I just hope most of the defense that was out tonight is back next week...

2 minutes ago, hx214 said:

I don’t know. I watched Lamar play today. He’s not a QB. All they have to do is keep him contained and make him throw it and they can beat the ratbirds. 

They did a good job keeping Gurley contained today. I just hope most of the defense that was out tonight is back next week...

His passing stats are far better than Baker's right now.  

11 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

His passing stats are far better than Baker's right now.  

Jackass has an Oline... Baker had one until we traded Zeitler for Jugghead...

The players still have his back and as long as they do then I'm fine...

... although his tone in his post-game presser left me cold.

There's a learning curve.

30 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Sure looks like it's gonna be 1-3 after next week

Yup... as the game is in BLT.

I think we'll be readier, if not fully ready, for them when they visit us later.

I didn't expect a win tonight, I am actually surprised it was this close to be honest given all the injuries. Outside of 2 real play calls, the 4th down draw and not attempting at least run inside the 5 I think the play calling was fine and I think they looked better, lot more chubb, lot more balance. Baker didn't have a lot of time, we win next week, we are in first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hx214 said:

Let's not forget how many defenders were out. They put up a good fight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nickers said:

We go for it on 4th down and run a fucking draw?.. Get this Retard mother fucker out of here and hire a real fucking coach.. and get an oline to go with Bito and Tretter.. The rest of the Oline BLOWS

I hate to say it, but I don't think Kitchens is going anywhere. We have to hope he learns how to game plan and call plays. It is really frustrating to watch. Mayfield is getting killed with the garbage o line. A good coach would find ways to compensate for the pass rush, to some extent. I was looking forward to the game against Baltimore next week, but now I dread it. They have an excellent defense, but overrated. The game is winnable. They are not the dominating force they think they are.

• Like 1

Did NOT like Freddie going for it on 4th down.  And I thought we should have run the ball when we were down inside the 5 yard line..

The season is going according to my prediction so far.  I have us at 9-7.

• Like 1

While it was one decision, that draw on 4th and 9 as I noted in the game thread was a game losing move. Really bad, really obvious poor decision by Freddie there. He did man up to it, but it can't happen again.

More importantly, someone needs to get to this dude that while we got shiny toys, running every play as a deep shot, vertical offense isn't where this unit is right now. Baker I think was 8-9 through the 3rd quarter on throws 2.5 seconds or less. I get that the chiefs throw every pass 50 yards, but we aint that (or close to that) right now. If we keep up that attempt of scheme, we'll continue to see outings like last night.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

Did NOT like Freddie going for it on 4th down.  And I thought we should have run the ball when we were down inside the 5 yard line..

We did run the ball inside the 5, but Baker made the mistake of putting the WR on the line in motion negating Chubbs' TD run.

• Thanks 1

I don’t like the Empty backfield with no remote threat of Baker running.

Like others have said-baker needs to be under center more. 

He’s getting better feeding Chubb except for our last four plays

We had 2 or 3rd and 10 backed up at our own 10 and we run three WRs not far apart from one another on go routes dogging it down the field.  That sums up some of our play calls.

But you shouldn’t be able to gameplan well with a last minute starter like McCray manning the RT spot against a team like the Rams.

having said all this- the team played well enough to win and that says something about the coaching. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We did run the ball inside the 5, but Baker made the mistake of putting the WR on the line in motion negating Chubbs' TD run.

He is talking about on the last drive of the game.  Also while that illegal motion was a bonehead mistake we still overcame it and scored a td on the drive.

• Upvote 1

I can't fathom a draw play in that situation. Why not run the ball twice on first and second down and try a QB sneak from the one, or "gasp" use one of stud Wide-outs on a fade. This is rocket science. Our O-line is horrific and causing the rest of offense to sputter out. Freddie looks like his wayyyyy over his head.

It's a good thing we hired Freddie as HC before another team could scoop up our "up and coming" offensive mastermind.

We really need to get somebody else calling plays immediately. I mean, you're inside the 10 yard line with 3 timeouts and 40+ seconds and you run an empty set 4 times in a row? That's not even something you would do in a video game. Obviously, the play calling has been bad in many other instances - but that's the most memorable as it cost us a chance to win the game.

43 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

That's incredibly generous.   I had 9-7 with everything looking sunshine and roses.    6-10 more likely now.

I was hoping we could get to the bye week 3-3 (I had "W" column for Titans, Jets, and 49ers). I think there's enough ability to "steal" a game over the next month, but 2-4 is a distinct, likely outcome unless things change in a hurry. 

Just wish we had the schedule set-up to have the Bengals or Steelers mixed in. The Pats in New England off the bye is a cruel fate. They do have a pretty good chance to take 3-4 in a row after that though (Steelers, Bills, Broncos and Dolphins).

5 minutes ago, bbedward said:

It's a good thing we hired Freddie as HC before another team could scoop up our "up and coming" offensive mastermind.

We really need to get somebody else calling plays immediately. I mean, you're inside the 10 yard line with 3 timeouts and 40+ seconds and you run an empty set 4 times in a row? That's not even something you would do in a video game. Obviously, the play calling has been bad in many other instances - but that's the most memorable as it cost us a chance to win the game.

Which leads to the question: Who is doing the play calling/offensive game planning? Seems to me an OC has some responsibility in all this somewhere. I'm less impressed with the OC since I know already what Freddie did last year with it. Something is not firing on all 8 and I don't think it's all on Freddie.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

The season is going according to my prediction so far.  I have us at 9-7.

I said numerous times before the season that I'd be satisfied with 9-7 or even 8-8. I did not ever buy the 12-4 super bowl run hype. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1