THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Rams Sunday Night Football Game Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

I'm actually pretty pleased with the Browns. We're learning to play together, We're young. We're talented. We took a Super Bowl team down to the wire with an injury ridden defense. And, other than that 4th and 9 play call, we played a decent game against a top NFL team. We'reĀ getting there. Be patient.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4

Is Darren Fells still available ?Ā 

Need to get back to 2 and 3 TE sets at times, especially early. And please, can a brother get some more under center work?!?Ā 

Freddie panicked in his first big game -That simple.Ā  His head was going a thousand miles an hour last night and before you know it, time has run out. Been there before and it's a whacky experience.Ā  Explains the 4th down call, the lack of decent route design and the non challenge on PI.

Tip of the cap to Wilks. Pretty great gameplan last night wasted on a miserable offensive plan that is further hamstrung by an Oline that struggles with pass pro.Ā  Ā 

And for those being critical of Myles for apparently not single-handedly winning the game...Ā  I don't know what more you want?Ā  Not only did he force the fumble which put us in position for a lead, he had several pressures that forced a few errant passes and freed up Vernon on a couple different occasions as well.Ā  He certainly didn't play bad by any means and if you feel that way - well, you're wrong.Ā  Especially against an offense that thrives off neutralizing pressure with boots, sprints, rolls and play action.Ā  Ā  Ā Spend more time around real football and shut off the Madden, is my best advice.Ā  Ā 

However this is a huge test for Landry and Odell. If they want to show the leadership they pride themselves to (claim to) have, this is where they will work with Baker and Freddie to help elevate the young QB and thus the offense as a whole.Ā  Ā But I fear the worst should we get a similar result against Baltimore.

Ā 

Dorsey tried emulating what he did in KC here.Ā  Only problem is that Baker isn't Mahomes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Is Darren Fells still available ?Ā 

Need to get back to 2 and 3 TE sets at times, especially early. And please, can a brother get some more under center work?!?Ā 

Freddie panicked in his first big game -That simple.Ā  His head was going a thousand miles an hour last night and before you know it, time has run out. Been there before and it's a whacky experience.Ā  Explains the 4th down call, the lack of decent route design and the non challenge on PI.

Tip of the cap to Wilks. Pretty great gameplan last night wasted on a miserable offensive plan that is further hamstrung by an Oline that struggles with pass pro.Ā  Ā 

And for those being critical of Myles for apparently not single-handedly winning the game...Ā  I don't know what more you want?Ā  Not only did he force the fumble which put us in position for a lead, he had several pressures that forced a few errant passes and freed up Vernon on a couple different occasions as well.Ā  He certainly didn't play bad by any means and if you feel that way - well, you're wrong.Ā  Especially against an offense that thrives off neutralizing pressure with boots, sprints, rolls and play action.Ā  Ā  Ā Spend more time around real football and shut off the Madden, is my best advice.Ā  Ā 

However this is a huge test for Landry and Odell. If they want to show the leadership they pride themselves to (claim to) have, this is where they will work with Baker and Freddie to help elevate the young QB and thus the offense as a whole.Ā  Ā But I fear the worst should we get a similar result against Baltimore.

Ā 

Dorsey tried emulating what he did in KC here.Ā  Only problem is that Baker isn't Mahomes.

You could have played "who is the rookie HC?" Guessing game last night with Phillips, Wilks, McVay and Kitchens and it would have lasted seconds, only by their facial expression.Ā 

Not only that, but that was contagious and I saw Mayfield lost. Not the hungry quaterback that was going to turn it around on the last drive.Ā 

Wilks did an awesome job stopping with a depleted secondary the likes of Sammy Watkins, Kupp, Woods, and limiting Todd Gurley. Our defense is real, but it's going to need some help by the offense.Ā 

And the Myles comments, I don't get them. At this rate he is going for a +18 sack season (6 sacks already?) And he does much more than sacks. Last night, you had Donald getting his first sack of the season while being a key player all first three games. Great game by the defense.

20 minutes ago, Nero said:

And the Myles comments, I don't get them. At this rate he is going for a +18 sack season (6 sacks already?) And he does much more than sacks. Last night, you had Donald getting his first sack of the season while being a key player all first three games. Great game by the defense.

Simply, anyone who points this criticism is ignorant to the game of football. No reason to worry about their opinion, honestly.

Ā 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Exactly what I told my dad this morning. I get it's mesmerizing to look at KC and think "that could be us!". I can understandĀ whyĀ Dorsey could have felt that way too given the set-up. It's reality check time though that this ain't it so far. I do still believe there's hope to this offense, but the whole game plan has to change. My worry is how stubborn most folks are to have their "plan" work, all while it crumbles around them.

11 hours ago, Comeonman said:

Our QB is rattled by the Oline getting its pants knocked off almost every play. You screenshot ONE damn play with a clean pocketĀ 

there were times when he should have stayed in the pocket except he panicked and rolled out

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATOM said:

there were times when he should have stayed in the pocket except he panicked and rolled out

Yep, and that's VERY difficult to fix. You're not generally going to fix these things against the Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, and the 85 Bears we have coming up on our schedule. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared if we lost 32-28 or something like that. But our anointed QB looks like he was a flash in the pan and I have no clue how they make it better. Baker literally won't throw the ball, even when he has people open.Ā 

26 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Yep, and that's VERY difficult to fix. You're not generally going to fix these things against the Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks, and the 85 Bears we have coming up on our schedule. Honestly, I wouldn't have cared if we lost 32-28 or something like that. But our anointed QB looks like he was a flash in the pan and I have no clue how they make it better. Baker literally won't throw the ball, even when he has people open.Ā 

If itā€™s a sophomore slump, heā€™ll get better. If itā€™s the yips...Ā 

• Upvote 1

Seeing Rams fans reaction was interesting.

1. They thought they would roll us.

The Tenn game was their barometer

2. They were upset with McVeys calls?Ā 

Strange I didnā€™t see too many head scratchers. Maybe Kitchens made him look much better.

3. They are frustrated with their Oline?Ā 

Go figure those guys too but Gurley isnā€™t the same back and I thought Goff had time.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

on that one point, it's nonsense. Mahomes has arguably one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. and the best TE in football.

The Browns' offensive line had a terrible time with pass protection. It isn't like the Browns were blown out 47-3.

Ā Ā  The one problem I think Kitchens has in playcalling, is running nearly always? on first down.Ā  With a healthy secondary, the Browns would have won that game. Just adding Njoku and Hilliard might have made a huge difference.

Ā  I was PROUD of the Browns. It's only game three. the squealers and bungles are 0-3. The Browns are nearly 2-1.

and the Browns are on their way up the ladder. We'll see more next week. But all this handing off on first down ain't foolin

nobody. I would love to see more of Ricky Seals-Jones at te. and for me, Pharoah Brown and Whitehead, db, make too many mistakes - on a regular basis when they play.

Ā Ā  both Ward and Greedy were out.

Look at the injury report. Blaming Kitchens for the loss is baloney, and Bakers' confidence in oline protection isn't helped by Bitonio playing banged up, a new RT playing, a few times he rolled out too soon. He didn't do that when he had excellent protection before.

STILL, the Browns nearly won that game. They played proud.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Ā  The one problemļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ ļ»æI think Kitchens has in playcalling, is running nearly always? on first dowļ»ænļ»æ.

Have we been watching the same games this year?

I may be misunderstanding you.Ā 

Are you sayingĀ the only time we run the ball is on first down and never any other down or are you saying we always run on first down and never pass on first

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

on that one point, it's nonsense. Mahomes has arguably one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. and the best TE in football.

The Browns' offensive line had a terrible time with pass protection. It isn't like the Browns were blown out 47-3.

Ā Ā  The one problem I think Kitchens has in playcalling, is running nearly always? on first down.Ā  With a healthy secondary, the Browns would have won that game. Just adding Njoku and Hilliard might have made a huge difference.

Ā  I was PROUD of the Browns. It's only game three. the squealers and bungles are 0-3. The Browns are nearly 2-1.

and the Browns are on their way up the ladder. We'll see more next week. But all this handing off on first down ain't foolin

nobody. I would love to see more of Ricky Seals-Jones at te. and for me, Pharoah Brown and Whitehead, db, make too many mistakes - on a regular basis when they play.

Ā Ā  both Ward and Greedy were out.

Look at the injury report. Blaming Kitchens for the loss is baloney, and Bakers' confidence in oline protection isn't helped by Bitonio playing banged up, a new RT playing, a few times he rolled out too soon. He didn't do that when he had excellent protection before.

STILL, the Browns nearly won that game. They played proud.

Here is some lunch meat. Ā Kitchens was not and is not head coach material, the draw play? Ā I believe he thought the play was ruled "off setting penalties" as the D Pass Int. was so obvious. Ā Not realizing this he did not challenge and went for a draw on what he thought was 3rd down. Ā The three Baker plays at the end were miserable, fear in his eyes, give it to Chubb twice, pass and Chubb a third time from the five. Ā 

Time to call Mike McCarthy. Ā He has experience and command. Ā This team has no discipline. And the owner needs to reign in the GM. Ā Trading an O line stud for a questionable defensive lineman is dumb.

56 minutes ago, Duckpins said:

Here is some lunch meat. Ā Kitchens was not and is not head coach material, the draw play? Ā I believe he thought the play was ruled "off setting penalties" as the D Pass Int. was so obvious. Ā Not realizing this he did not challenge and went for a draw on what he thought was 3rd down. Ā The three Baker plays at the end were miserable, fear in his eyes, give it to Chubb twice, pass and Chubb a third time from the five. Ā 

Time to call Mike McCarthy. Ā He has experience and command. Ā This team has no discipline. And the owner needs to reign in the GM. Ā Trading an O line stud for a questionable defensive lineman is dumb.

Welcome to the board Duckpin. Youā€™ll fit right in with those resolute observations and flair for the dramatic. ā€œFear in his eyesā€ indeed. The fear! In his eyes!Ā 

25 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Welcome to the board Duckpin. Youā€™ll fit right in with those resolute observations and flair for the dramatic. ā€œFear in his eyesā€ indeed. The fear! In his eyes!Ā 

Thanks? Ā I think. Ā 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I will be honest with you.....except for that one play where he caused the fumble, Ā  Garrett appear to be mostly a no show when it came to pressuring the QB tonight. Ā  At least, that was my impression. Ā  He seemed constantly out of breath because before nearly every play he was standing with his hands on his hips panting. Ā  I am sure he was being double and triple teamed I guess which could diminish a guy's impact.....but then others had to step up, and except for 1 or 2 times it seemed that they never really did.

Nevertheless the defense did not do badly tonight. Ā  No, this was purely about scheme and play calling to me.....and the inability to carry those out...and the complete failure to adjust when you knew that was not happening.

Maybe you didn't notice like I did- of at lest one time Witworth blatantly held Myles and got away wit it- and then a grabbing the facemask- another no call....Ā Ā 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duckpins said:

You'll fit right in with a bunch of the other Negative Nancys we have on this Board. Kitchens is going nowhere at least for the rest of this year. Yeah- fire the bum after three games. :DĀ Anybody but Freddie. McCarthy couldn't get along with Aaron Rodgers, in case you forgot. Dorsey built this team and he's 100% better doing it than anyone else since 1999.Ā  BTW, John worked with McCarthy in Green Bay- pretty sure he has a good handle on him. If you think having Zeitler would have madeĀ  a lick of difference in the outcome of this game guess again. The o-line was getting beaten like a drum in multiple other areas.Ā Ā 

We lost to a team that's favored to make a repeat trip to the Super Bowl by a touchdown, with 1\2 our defense banged up. Yup the sky is falling. Since you're new- we put sarcastic comments inĀ PINK.Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

1. Considering we had no starters in the secondary, I would agree completely that our D played especially well with one arm tied behind it's back.Ā 

2. It is painfully obvious that despite Ghoolie arguments to the contrary, we need a lot more quality in that OL. Players like Donald expose them badly.

3. Chubb is a warrior. He's now on my all ironman team this year. And if Baker had not mistakenly called our WR in motion while on the line, he'd have scored that TD instead of getting it called back. I told my daughter's father in law he needs to bill Baker $40 because his FFL player Chubb would have won him the weekend had that play counted.

4. I still cannot figure out why we constantly shift Garrett back and forth from RDE to LDE. What is the reasoning there?

1. Yup...
  2. True-ish... but have to point out that Donald punked our best OL... an All-Pro OG. Donald is just that good. But... he did not do that all nite and he was not lined up over Bito all nite, so our fat-asses must have done the job on him more often than not.
  3. That induced OBJ motion was to me the most obvious evidence that our QBs head is muddled up. Whether it's off-field shit or too much playbook or whatever... a QB does not motion a WR... who he knows to be on the LOS.... to move and then not be sure he resets for at least a beat before having the ball snapped.
  4. tia touched on this, and he's right, but I'd also add that it keeps the O guessing where Myles will be and that can eliminate some of the doubles and chips he sees.... or at least who is doing them. You see the same thing with JJ in HOU...

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:
  1. Is Darren Fells still available ?Ā 
  2. Need to get back to 2 and 3 TE sets at times, especially early. And please, can a brother get some more under center work?!?Ā 
  3. Freddie panicked in his first big game -That simple.Ā  His head was going a thousand miles an hour last night and before you know it, time has run out. Been there before and it's a whacky experience.Ā  Explains the 4th down call, the lack of decent route design and the non challenge on PI.
  4. Tip of the cap to Wilks. Pretty great gameplan last night wasted on a miserable offensive plan that is further hamstrung by an Oline that struggles with pass pro.Ā 
  5. And for those being critical of Myles for apparently not single-handedly winning the game...Ā  I don't know what more you want?Ā  Not only did he force the fumble which put us in position for a lead, he had several pressures that forced a few errant passes and freed up Vernon on a couple different occasions as well.Ā  He certainly didn't play bad by any means and if you feel that way - well, you're wrong.Ā  Especially against an offense that thrives off neutralizing pressure with boots, sprints, rolls and play action.Ā  Ā  Ā Spend more time around real football and shut off the Madden, is my best advice.Ā  Ā 
  6. However this is a huge test for Landry and Odell. If they want to show the leadership they pride themselves to (claim to) have, this is where they will work with Baker and Freddie to help elevate the young QB and thus the offense as a whole.Ā  Ā But I fear the worst should we get a similar result against Baltimore.
  7. Dorsey tried emulating what he did in KC here.Ā  Only problem is that Baker isn't Mahomes.
  1. He's busy dropping passes for the Texans... seriously... he gator-armed one big time...
  2. Like the idea, but don't see the personnel to pull it off.
  3. Yup... his first time under the bright lights in the heat of the moment.... I have a two cliche' limit... he choked. But he knows it so I'm only concerned if he repeats it.
  4. Absolutely... FYI... the article below mentions how all the Rams' opponents, including us, are copying Bill's gameplan from last seasons' SB.
  5. Well put... sack total is not the measure of an Edge's contribution... it is a measure.
  6. Agree... and OBJ gave an All-Pro, Locker-room interview after the game.
  7. I assume you refer to going cheap on the OL... agree... and I think you'd agree that does not mean Baker can't still be a great QB in this League.
3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Seeing Rams fans reaction was interesting.

1. They thought they would roll us. The Tenn game was their barometer

2. They were upset with McVeys calls? Strange I didnā€™t see too many head scratchers. Maybe Kitchens made him look much better.

3. They are frustrated with their Oline? Go figure those guys too but Gurley isnā€™t the same back and I thought Goff had time.

Didn't see much from fans, but read this article on RamsWire...

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/23/nfl-rams-browns-takeaways-week-3/

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Mahomes has arguably one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

You've been spending too much time with Flugels...

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Maybe you didn't notice like I did- of at lest one time Witworth blatantly held Myles and got away wit it- and then a grabbing the facemask- another no call....Ā Ā 

Give it a rest, h... the officiating in this game was pretty good. Rams fans have as much to moan about as we do...

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

on that one point, it's nonsense. Mahomes has arguably one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.Ā 

Ā 

You must be lost, homie.Ā  The poli forum where you can spout bullshit is.....Ā  ----- >Ā  thataway.Ā Ā 

I stopped reading after this line.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā As a collective unit, the KC Oline is one of the worst in the NFL and the Chiefs success has largely been in spite of them.Ā  Ā  And when KCĀ finally did come across a secondary with the ability to matchup to their receivers, the Pats proceeded to hold them to one of the worst playoff halfs in team historyĀ because of their inability to hold up under coverage rush.Ā  Ā 

Mahomes brilliance and their abundance of skill players makes that team go.Ā  Without Patrick? - then they're the Browns of last night.

Ā 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. He's busy dropping passes for the Texans... seriously... he gator-armed one big time...
  2. Like the idea, but don't see the personnel to pull it off.
  3. Yup... his first time under the bright lights in the heat of the moment.... I have a two cliche' limit... he choked. But he knows it so I'm only concerned if he repeats it.
  4. Absolutely... FYI... the article below mentions how all the Rams' opponents, including us, are copying Bill's gameplan from last seasons' SB.
  5. Well put... sack total is not the measure of an Edge's contribution... it is a measure.
  6. Agree... and OBJ gave an All-Pro, Locker-room interview after the game.
  7. I assume you refer to going cheap on the OL... agree... and I think you'd agree that does not mean Baker can't still be a great QB in this League.

Didn't see much from fans, but read this article on RamsWire...

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/23/nfl-rams-browns-takeaways-week-3/

You've been spending too much time with Flugels...

Give it a rest, h... the officiating in this game was pretty good. Rams fans have as much to moan about as we do...

1.Ā  Was really just looking for a bigger bodied TE who can hold the point in the running game.Ā  Ā Nobody will confuse Fells for his receiving prowess (lack of)

2.Ā  More TE's needed.

4. We did copycat the Pats.Ā  To his credit, McVay saw that and after halftime they started hitting Gurley on that split zone inside.Ā  Ā Only problem is, McVay didn't show the patience to stay with it when we were clearly asking them to run just that.

7. Cheap on the Oline and skill heavy.Ā  Ā Not saying Baker *can't be great in the league.Ā  Ā However the early returns indicate that he is unable to function according to the KC model of football.Ā  Ā  Not just Baker either, there are so few QB's in the NFL able to produce without having some quality play from the big hogs up front.Ā  Ā Brady, though he benefits from having the best HC and Oline coach in the NFL.Ā  Ā Wilson, but this is mostly because of his scrambling ability.Ā  Ā Mahomes because, well, Mahomes.Ā  Ā Breesy and maybe Rivers?Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā  Ā  Aaaaaaaaaaand.... that's about it?Ā  Ā  Rodgers, Matty Ice, Cam, Luck, Goff, Ben, Cousins, Stafford, Flacco...Ā  Ā all QB's that have experienced slumps in production and a lack of team wins (You could kind of include Brees in that later statement) in certain years because of being plagued by line issues despite having good to great skill position play.

... and If FlugsorĀ Cal believe KC's oline is good, then I would like to scan and copy their medical marijuana card.....Ā  for research purposes.

• Upvote 1

Going in to the game I did not think we had a chance, However seeing how we played a solid game there is no reason we didn't win, we beat ourselves and I put most blame on the play calling. 4th and 9 do a draw, 1st and goal from the 4 and all post route passes? No check down wr no rb to throw to? all stupid shit, we didn't even have our jumbo package in there, no double te set, it was pure trash. I am no expert, but I know basic things like most of you and every single 1 of you fans could of pulled a better play out of your assĀ