THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Rams Sunday Night Football Game Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

Just got done watching the game. 1st and goal from inside the 5, 43 seconds left with all 3 time outs and Freddie calls 4 straight passes.............not 1 mother fucking run. 

Absolute trash.  Pathetic.  Any high school coach in the country would have called a better 4 play series.

Same old shit. 

• Like 1

The Titans loss is turning out to be a really good indicator of how bad we truly are, as that team is hot garbage and somehow beat us when we were healthy. Bottom line is we can't score points, and the franchise QB we were all so certain of might not be the real deal. Don't attack me, I'm not saying Baker is a lost cause after 3 games, all I'm saying is I swore up and down that Baker was the second coming, and now I'm not sure anymore. He looks really bad guys, and I don't know how to fix it. That stat they showed about pass plays taking longer than 2 seconds was terrifying. You have to be able to scan the field, and you can't blame the line. And if a macho guy like Baker loses his confidence, it's not coming back. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The Titans loss is turning out to be a really good indicator of how bad we truly are, as that team is hot garbage and somehow beat us when we were healthy. Bottom line is we can't score points, and the franchise QB we were all so certain of might not be the real deal. Don't attack me, I'm not saying Baker is a lost cause after 3 games, all I'm saying is I swore up and down that Baker was the second coming, and now I'm not sure anymore. He looks really bad guys, and I don't know how to fix it. That stat they showed about pass plays taking longer than 2 seconds was terrifying. You have to be able to scan the field, and you can't blame the line. And if a macho guy like Baker loses his confidence, it's not coming back. 

I do. I blame the line. Could be wrong though I guess 

• Like 1

Just now, D Bone said:

Just got done watching the game. 1st and goal from inside the 5, 42 seconds left with all 3 time outs and Freddie calls 4 straight passes.............not 1 mother fucking run. 

Absolute trash.  Pathetic.  Any high school coach in the country would have called a better 4 play series.

Same old shit. 

No run. No qb draw. No misdirection. We got EVERY BREAK in the world this game and STILL couldn't figure it out. I wish I had the time and ability to put together our 3 games worth of red zone plays. They'd make you vomit. Over half are Baker hiking it, panicking, running right, then chucking it. He looks like a high school qb. Freddie is completely lost. Our defense deserved that chance for OT. 

• Upvote 2

One overriding criticism: Freddie... you have to challenge that PI non-call. It was a slam-dunk...

• The play occurred with 10:11 to go in the 4th. It is rare that you would have need of 2 challenges in the next 8:11.
  • Yes, you only get the down back, but you'd have 3 downs to make 9 yards... instead of only 2.
  • Instead we turned the ball over on downs and you went home with two challenges in your pocket.

Initial game thoughts...

D first...

• The D did us proud... three turnovers... two by a makeshift 2ndary.
  • Game ball to Joe for having a hand in two of them.... literally in the case of that last pick.
  • Game ball to Wilks for his game plan.
  • Sheldon... loved your false-start inducing shift near our Goalline.... but that was the only time I heard your name.

O next...

• We needed Baker under Center more.
  • We needed to mix in some designed roll outs.
  • We needed to go no-huddle earlier... set the pace.
  • Game ball to Chubb... for being great. His patient decisiveness and use of blockers reminds me of a young L. Bell...

Maybe more tomorrow...

• Upvote 3

I will be honest with you.....except for that one play where he caused the fumble,   Garrett appear to be mostly a no show when it came to pressuring the QB tonight.   At least, that was my impression.   He seemed constantly out of breath because before nearly every play he was standing with his hands on his hips panting.   I am sure he was being double and triple teamed I guess which could diminish a guy's impact.....but then others had to step up, and except for 1 or 2 times it seemed that they never really did.

Nevertheless the defense did not do badly tonight.   No, this was purely about scheme and play calling to me.....and the inability to carry those out...and the complete failure to adjust when you knew that was not happening.

2 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Do you have any idea of how long...how very long...that excuse has been tossed around in Cleveland?

Every year it’s mentioned - the line has always been the annual whipping boy.  They’ve  had more than their fair share of coverage sacks.  Right now Freddie and Baker need to get better....a lot better.  

They need to get healthy too or at least halfway healthy.  McCray can’t man the RT spot long term.  The TEs are bad.  Higgins needs to get healthy.  

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

I will be honest with you.....except for that one play where he caused the fumble,   Garrett appear to be mostly a no show when it came to pressuring the QB tonight.   At least, that was my impression.   He seemed constantly out of breath because before nearly every play he was standing with his hands on his hips panting.   I am sure he was being double and triple teamed I guess which could diminish a guy's impact.....but then others had to step up, and except for 1 or 2 times it seemed that they never really did.

Nevertheless the defense did not do badly tonight.   No, this was purely about scheme and play calling to me.....and the inability to carry those out...and the complete failure to adjust when you knew that was not happening.

I totally concur!

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, like I complain in another thread.....no outlet receiver standing there in the crease, be it a Duke Johnson like back or a FB.  And no quick hitting crossing patterns.

And also no baker Mayfield having the vision to see a massive hole right in front of him with the end zone twelve yards away. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What did you want him to do....run into that hole?  I mean, I guess he could have, but that is not his job.

His job is to score points by any means necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Our QB is rattled by the Oline getting its pants knocked off almost every play. You screenshot ONE damn play with a clean pocket 

Please. For 20 years I've been hearing about how shitty our o line is. But none of those quarterbacks who played behind all those shitty o lines went on to have success with better ones. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I had a racquet ball partner(and competitor) who always smashed his racquet when he screwed up(which was often)......we were always waiting for him to go up to  the front desk and buy another one.....tick tick tick.....

Ive told him to just buy in bulk and bring em all with you......at least we wouldnt be losing time waiting for the next purchase......

LOL! I've done that one time in 40+ years and actually I just missed the swipe at the wall  and accidentally caught it full force just like I had missed the ball. I'm too cheap to repeat mishits like that.🤑

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

One overriding criticism: Freddie... you have to challenge that PI non-call. It was a slam-dunk...

• The play occurred with 10:11 to go in the 4th. It is rare that you would have need of 2 challenges in the next 8:11.
  • Yes, you only get the down back, but you'd have 3 downs to make 9 yards... instead of only 2.
  • Instead we turned the ball over on downs and you went home with two challenges in your pocket.

Initial game thoughts...

D first...

• The D did us proud... three turnovers... two by a makeshift 2ndary.
  • Game ball to Joe for having a hand in two of them.... literally in the case of that last pick.
  • Game ball to Wilks for his game plan.
  • Sheldon... loved your false-start inducing shift near our Goalline.... but that was the only time I heard your name.

O next...

• We needed Baker under Center more.
  • We needed to mix in some designed roll outs.
  • We needed to go no-huddle earlier... set the pace.
  • Game ball to Chubb... for being great. His patient decisiveness and use of blockers reminds me of a young L. Bell...

Maybe more tomorrow...

1. Considering we had no starters in the secondary, I would agree completely that our D played especially well with one arm tied behind it's back. 

2. It is painfully obvious that despite Ghoolie arguments to the contrary, we need a lot more quality in that OL. Players like Donald expose them badly.

3. Chubb is a warrior. He's now on my all ironman team this year. And if Baker had not mistakenly called our WR in motion while on the line, he'd have scored that TD instead of getting it called back. I told my daughter's father in law he needs to bill Baker $40 because his FFL player Chubb would have won him the weekend had that play counted.

4. I still cannot figure out why we constantly shift Garrett back and forth from RDE to LDE. What is the reasoning there?

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

1. Considering we had no starters in the secondary, I would agree completely that our D played especially well with one arm tied behind it's back. 

2. It is painfully obvious that despite Ghoolie arguments to the contrary, we need a lot more quality in that OL. Players like Donald expose them badly.

3. Chubb is a warrior. He's now on my all ironman team this year. And if Baker had not mistakenly called our WR in motion while on the line, he'd have scored that TD instead of getting it called back. I told my daughter's father in law he needs to bill Baker $40 because his FFL player Chubb would have won him the weekend had that play counted.

4. I still cannot figure out why we constantly shift Garrett back and forth from RDE to LDE. What is the reasoning there?

Re: Garrett -  by design - matchup and call related 

I think we may need  a HC that’s missing a few marbles. I mean in order to work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and be in charge of 50 some prima dona athletes that have new money and get them motivated to play their best.... you should probably be stark raving mad. GW wasn’t wrapped to tightly. I agree. But now I think he is exactly what this team needs. Player don’t respect nice. Gotta keep em guessing and motivated. 

Ok...casual fans perspective..

If this was a "test" I think we passed.  Defense was great...held em to 3 pts in first half...and held the to 20 overall...a high powered O...better than tennesee.  We got better.

The 4th and 9...freddie took a chance...he saw the writing on the wall and tries to trick em up.  He was trying to push and win the game.  I have no problem with that.

Our O line needs help.   

Overall grade...defense  A

Offense  C+

S teams B

I'm so incredibly sad this morning that it's crazy. All the people that talked to me this off-season that were so excited about the Browns. All the random passersby's that would see my Browns hat and gush over how good we're going to be, and how they hated how bad the Browns were, and how they're on the bandwagon. POOF! It's all a lie. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're as bad as the 0-16 Browns, because we're not, but the NFL season tends to snowball out of control, and we've about reached that point. If you think for one second that "find yourself" against Baltimore, then you've lost your mind. With as terrified as Baker looks, it's entirely possible that we don't score a TD this week. Before you call me crazy , go look at our red zone plays. How many were even CLOSE to producing a touchdown? I just saw Giant's rookie RUN the ball in for the game winning touchdown. When's the last time you saw Baker do that?

After Baker missed Jarvis Landry on 3rd and goal at the end I knew he was broken. Whether it's only temporary, I don't know, but he's definitely a broken man. Why? Because he can't scan the field. Almost the ONLY passes he completed were quick, predetermined routes from the RPO. THAT'S ABOUT IT. A QB who can't scan the field and move on to other options is worthless. Baker is now seeing ghosts in the pocket, and I'm not sure that ever gets fixed. 

We're 1-2 and just played a good team very tough. The sky shouldn't be falling....but it is. It's falling because our QB can't score points. 

Freddie is going to take the blame so breath easier Browns fans.  Here we are again after the Browns snatch defeat from the jaws if victory.  What did Sunday night confirm, our O Line is overmatched, our rookie Head Coach makes costly mistakes and our QB is overhyped.  We sit at 1-2 with a win over the lowly Jets.  The negative assholes, like me, grinding away at the sunshine pumpers who think we are just one good player away from having a parade.  I gotta say guys even this negative jerk is getting tired of it.  The constant of just being the Browns.  Against all odds finding a way to lose.  Finding a way to toss out a phenomenal defensive effort.  There was a point one the summer where I had hope but I should've known better but hey at least our first time ever head coach is willing to take the blame.

19 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm so incredibly sad this morning that it's crazy. All the people that talked to me this off-season that were so excited about the Browns. All the random passersby's that would see my Browns hat and gush over how good we're going to be, and how they hated how bad the Browns were, and how they're on the bandwagon. POOF! It's all a lie. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're as bad as the 0-16 Browns, because we're not, but the NFL season tends to snowball out of control, and we've about reached that point. If you think for one second that "find yourself" against Baltimore, then you've lost your mind. With as terrified as Baker looks, it's entirely possible that we don't score a TD this week. Before you call me crazy , go look at our red zone plays. How many were even CLOSE to producing a touchdown? I just saw Giant's rookie RUN the ball in for the game winning touchdown. When's the last time you saw Baker do that?

After Baker missed Jarvis Landry on 3rd and goal at the end I knew he was broken. Whether it's only temporary, I don't know, but he's definitely a broken man. Why? Because he can't scan the field. Almost the ONLY passes he completed were quick, predetermined routes from the RPO. THAT'S ABOUT IT. A QB who can't scan the field and move on to other options is worthless. Baker is now seeing ghosts in the pocket, and I'm not sure that ever gets fixed. 

We're 1-2 and just played a good team very tough. The sky shouldn't be falling....but it is. It's falling because our QB can't score points. 

And why can’t he stay in the field. Because he has about two seconds to do so and that’s not enough time you need 3 to 4 seconds. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Freddie is going to take the blame so breath easier Browns fans.  Here we are again after the Browns snatch defeat from the jaws if victory.  What did Sunday night confirm, our O Line is overmatched, our rookie Head Coach makes costly mistakes and our QB is overhyped.  We sit at 1-2 with a win over the lowly Jets.  The negative assholes, like me, grinding away at the sunshine pumpers who think we are just one good player away from having a parade.  I gotta say guys even this negative jerk is getting tired of it.  The constant of just being the Browns.  Against all odds finding a way to lose.  Finding a way to toss out a phenomenal defensive effort.  There was a point one the summer where I had hope but I should've known better but hey at least our first time ever head coach is willing to take the blame.

It needs to be shared with Dorsey. Trading away a quality OLman for a guy not putting pressure on QBs has not panned out so far. And choosing a reach for another OLman over a quality pass rusher then available was also a Dorsey mistake. But all hope is not gone. Both can be corrected in the next draft if we don't trade them all away.

• Upvote 1