THE BROWNS BOARD

Rams' game reality check

Icecube

A "W" by week 2? How do you even know how to feel?

Some fun play last night (and some concerning as well). OBJ and Garrett were phenomenal; OL and Baker not as much.

Yes, NY was missing a load of players and down to, I don't know, their 4th string QB? I have some friends who honestly think the Browns are now set for a Super Bowl run....ummmm, maybe pump the breaks with that talk.  I was confident in beating NY, but the Rams? They are a legit contender. Let's see how they handle those guys. If they beat them, then that is saying something. 

On a side note, why does Cam Newton dress like your great Auntie?

EEUpfIQUwA0fwXW.jpg

• Haha 1

What’s with the OL didn’t play well again stuff?  

I think some of you need a reality check.  You can’t and shouldn’t expect OLineman in the NFL to block for more than 5 seconds. 

Did Baker not have enough time?  Granted the run game wasnt great but it was effective and produced one of the biggest plays of the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think some of you need a reality check.  You can’t and shouldn’t expect OLineman in the NFL to block for more than 5 seconds. 

Did Baker not have enough time?  Granted the run game wasnt great but it was effective and produced one of the biggest plays of the game. 

That's a straw man argument. Whoever claimed the OL should be able to give BM 5 seconds per pass play? No one did. The worrisome indicator is no holes for the rushing game. 70 yards rushing won't get it done vs. decent teams. 3 yards per carry won't do it. Let's see if they can beat the Rams with 3 ypc and net of 70 yards rushing. Maybe some of the shortcomings was due to play calling. 

31 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I spent a good chunk of time honing in on the interior OL play when l rewatched, and l saw marked improvement. Can’t really speak to the tackle play, but l’m inclined to say it was lacking, sure, but as a unit l saw improvement and l think they’ll get better.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

This isn’t a heavy running team. We don’t even have a FB.. the o-line performed much better than last week. Great blocking on Chubb TD run.

I don't know. The sports talking heads are saying Baker had to run for his life all game. I watched every play, and I also felt he was facing a good deal of pressure most of the night.  If it is true that the OL play isn't that good, we will find out next week vs. the Rams and Aaron Donald. If the OL is as solid as some claim, the Rams won't put a paw on Baker, or not many, any how. 

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

A "W" by week 2? How do you even know how to feel?

Some fun play last night (and some concerning as well). OBJ and Garrett were phenomenal; OL and Baker not as much.

Yes, NY was missing a load of players and down to, I don't know, their 4th string QB? I have some friends who honestly think the Browns are now set for a Super Bowl run....ummmm, maybe pump the breaks with that talk.  I was confident in beating NY, but the Rams? They are a legit contender. Let's see how they handle those guys. If they beat them, then that is saying something. 

On a side note, why does Cam Newton dress like your great Auntie?

EEUpfIQUwA0fwXW.jpg

Cam Newton dresses like Dave Chappelle dressing like prince. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

This isn’t a heavy running team. We don’t even have a FB.. the o-line performed much better than last week. Great blocking on Chubb TD run.

Most teams don't have a FB, but that doesn't mean they don't have a better rushing attack than 70 yards a game. The Ravens lead the league in rushing, by far. Guess what? No FB listed on their roster. Indy is #2 best rushing team, no FB. And so on. Come Nov., the Browns better hope they have a rushing game, or not good. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely need to step up the running game and utilize Chubb better......the whole flow to the offense has been very disjointed... the limited running plays weve seen have not been properly set up either.....not so sure its an issue with the line, as much as the flow and predictability of the plays....Freddie and Baker both need to settle down and develop some chemistry(and patience)....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Most teams don't have a FB, but that doesn't mean they don't have a better rushing attack than 70 yards a game. The Ravens lead the league in rushing, by far. Guess what? No FB listed on their roster. Indy is #2 best rushing team, no FB. And so on. Come Nov., the Browns better hope they have a rushing game, or not good. 

The Ravens lead the league in rushing? No shit- they also lead the league in attempts per game. Like 19 more per game to date than the Browns- their whole offense is predicated on that. Add in Lamar Jackson's 126 yards, which puts him at #17, that's slightly less than 1\2 the other guys who are designated as running backs.  BTW- the Ratbirds are #24 in the league in passing attempts, hardly balanced. 

So hats off to them- if it's working, keep on doing it- until other teams stop it. I'll wait and see how that offense fares against Mahomes and the Chiefs if Pat starts putting up video game numbers against them.  

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The Ravens lead the league in rushing? No shit- they also lead the league in attempts per game. Like 19 more per game to date than the Browns- their whole offense is predicated on that. Add in Lamar Jackson's 126 yards, which puts him at #17, that's slightly less than 1\2 the other guys who are designated as running backs.  BTW- the Ratbirds are #24 in the league in passing attempts, hardly balanced. 

So hats off to them- if it's working, keep on doing it- until other teams stop it. I'll wait and see how that offense fares against Mahomes and the Chiefs if Pat starts putting up video game numbers against them.  

You can live in denial if you wish, but the Ravens have proven they can rush and pass so far (against weak opponents). And they have the best D in the NFL so far. 

17 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Definitely need to step up the running game and utilize Chubb better......the whole flow to the offense has been very disjointed... the limited running plays weve seen have not been properly set up either.....not so sure its an issue with the line, as much as the flow and predictability of the plays....Freddie and Baker both need to settle down and develop some chemistry(and patience)....

Baker does need to chill out a bit, he's too amped up and you can tell. But I'd rather have a QB who is too amped than one who is feckless. 

First... we have a FB... he's on IR.

Second those above that said the OL was "improved" this week are correct... It was... Even PFF says so. We had two starters earn grades >80, Bito and Hubbard.

Third, we ran pretty damn well early. Chubb opened with back-to-back carries for 8 and 4 yards... Chubb's 19-yard TD came with nearly 11 minutes left in Q2. Late in the game we went very conservative and after Chubb was thought to have been dinged most of those late carries went to D'Ernest... and he ain't Hillliard let alone Hunt.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

Ravens have Lamar Jackson.. he accounts for a huge amount of rushing offense. And they also have a FB #42 Patrick Ricard, listing on the week 3 depth chart..

Indianapolis is literally pounding the rock 66 times over 2 games because they’re starting Jacoby Brissett.. and healthy Marlon Mack is not a bad RB to give 45 carries. All they have is Hilton. And Ebron, they do have Perrish Campbell but rookie WRs are usually limited at first. 

The Colts and Ravens don’t have OBJ, Landry, etc.. The Browns OLine performed significantly better than week 1 and didn’t commit bad holdings and penalties. 

I like the idea of getting Baker the most live reps possible in a one sided game before having a huge prime time game next week.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

You can live in denial if you wish, but the Ravens have proven they can rush and pass so far (against weak opponents). And they have the best D in the NFL so far. 

They also have a running QB. Let me repeat in case you missed it- 126 rushing yards, #17 in the NFL to date. You in denial about that? Question is- how long is Lamar going to be able to keep up that pace before he winds up on IR?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

They also have a running QB. Let me repeat in case you missed it- 126 rushing yards, #17 in the NFL to date. You in denial about that? Question is- how long is Lamar going to be able to keep up that pace before he winds up on IR?  

Jackson is a freak athlete. I bet he stays healthy for 3 years. All that team needs is 2 bombs a game, like Randell Cunningham's Eagles. 

We should be some what concerned because we only have 4 Touchdowns for the season? That is not good at all when you look at the talent we have and the 2 Defenses we went up against. We should of put up over 30 against the Jets by the 3rd Quarter. We should of had way more against the titans  We need to run the ball more in the red zone and run it right up the gut on 3rd and short, Not some stupid ass 3 yard side line route that gets thrown in to triple coverage and is thrown 20 yards out of bounds. Very poor play calling at this point, Very poor. And now we mite of lost our very good TE for the season by hanging him out to dry on what would of only been a 3 yard gain if even caught. We do not look like a 500 team let alone a Playoff contender. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

We collectively lose our minds and expectations fly through the roof. Some of us will get arrested. Most of us will get naked. It will be wonderful. 

Sounds like a fun time. I plan on crossing the state line and lighting fireworks. It’s only fitting to let the inbreeds enjoy an evening too. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Unless the line has in a couple of minutes is anybody surprised we are only a 3-point dog?

WSS

Well, we're at home and I don't think the Rams have offensively blown up yet either. Browns are still getting some good media love and many still seem to think we'll get it together soon. Will we? I dunno, but it won't help losing Njoku because our other TEs aren't exactly all world. 

This game definitely has me worried for Baker's safety, as he won't be able to hold onto the ball as long this week without dying. What makes me feel good is how Freddie is stressing getting the rock out quicker, so that tells me they'll work on getting it right. The funny thing is, it would not surprise me to see us play much better and win, and it also wouldn't surprise me if we laid an egg, lol. One thing I do know is that we need to get Baker cooking EARLY, and I'm confident that we will. 

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

First... we have a FB... he's on IR.

Second those above that said the OL was "improved" this week are correct... It was... Even PFF says so. We had two starters earn grades >80, Bito and Hubbard.

Third, we ran pretty damn well early. Chubb opened with back-to-back carries for 8 and 4 yards... Chubb's 19-yard TD came with nearly 11 minutes left in Q2. Late in the game we went very conservative and after Chubb was thought to have been dinged most of those late carries went to D'Ernest... and he ain't Hillliard let alone Hunt.

So, you don't have a FB. If it was a position that mattered, they'd have signed another one. What? If a positional player gets hurt, you just give up and don't sign another player to take his place? If FB mattered to the Browns they would have signed another. Fact is, you don't need a FB to have a prolific rushing game. 

34 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Well, we're at home and I don't think the Rams have offensively blown up yet either. Browns are still getting some good media love and many still seem to think we'll get it together soon. Will we? I dunno, but it won't help losing Njoku because our other TEs aren't exactly all world. 

This game definitely has me worried for Baker's safety, as he won't be able to hold onto the ball as long this week without dying. What makes me feel good is how Freddie is stressing getting the rock out quicker, so that tells me they'll work on getting it right. The funny thing is, it would not surprise me to see us play much better and win, and it also wouldn't surprise me if we laid an egg, lol. One thing I do know is that we need to get Baker cooking EARLY, and I'm confident that we will. 

They got to get Baker more open to hitting the open man instead of always trying to hit a big play. He is pushing too much so far. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I agree with this, I think we were too pass happy in the second half of the game Monday. More Chubb to setup the play action. I love that Baker is looking to take deep shots but he seems more intent on doing this so far instead of hitting whats available. We have seen him hold the ball too long while shorter routes were open and he has missed some throws last year he hit with regularity. I think more focus on the run game makes everything else better, we try to get in a shoot out Sunday Night we will lose.

7 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I agree with this, I think we were too pass happy in the second half of the game Monday. More Chubb to setup the play action. I love that Baker is looking to take deep shots but he seems more intent on doing this so far instead of hitting whats available. We have seen him hold the ball too long while shorter routes were open and he has missed some throws last year he hit with regularity. I think more focus on the run game makes everything else better, we try to get in a shoot out Sunday Night we will lose.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/losangelesrams/statistics?team=LA

I worry about LA's top 3 WRs. Sure they can cover 1 well, maybe 2, but all 3?

Kupp

Cooks and

Woods? 

Plus Gurley is healthy for now. Sure, Garrett will have his moments...but Malcom Brown is rushing for the same apc (5.3) as Todd. Put it this way: Browns must progress and play better than they have so far this season or a win will be tough to nab. Freddie better learn quick, on the job. Real quick.  

16 hours ago, medicineman said:

We should be some what concerned because we only have 4 Touchdowns for the season? That is not good at all when you look at the talent we have and the 2 Defenses we went up against. We should of put up over 30 against the Jets by the 3rd Quarter. We should of had way more against the titans  We need to run the ball more in the red zone and run it right up the gut on 3rd and short, Not some stupid ass 3 yard side line route that gets thrown in to triple coverage and is thrown 20 yards out of bounds. Very poor play calling at this point, Very poor. And now we mite of lost our very good TE for the season by hanging him out to dry on what would of only been a 3 yard gain if even caught. We do not look like a 500 team let alone a Playoff contender. 

I know I am dating myself, but didn't that play remind you of the hit Browns put on Don Beebe in the playoffs? It was the season before the Bills got really good. He's so lucky he walked away.