THE BROWNS BOARD

Presidential Homes

The Gipper

I am updating this to the current date.   These are the home of the Presidents that I have visited...in bold.  Others not bold:

1. George Washington.  I have been to  the George Washington Birthplace# in Eastern Va.....but never to Mount Vernon@ 

2. John Adams  been to the two houses in Quincy Mass. that both he and his son John Quincy Adams lives, including "Peacefield"#.. 

3. Thomas Jefferson Monticello in central VA.  Went there when I was young, have not gone back.....even though I have passed a few times on way to W-Burg.  I need to go back someday

4. Madison....no @  but has a home near Monticello

5. Monroe...no@ but also has home near Monticello

6. John Quincy Adams....see above for his father

7. Andrew Jackson....been to The Hermitage near Nashville. 

8.Martin Van Buren.  Been to his home in Kinderhook NY .

9. William Henry Harrison. Been to his home where born on the Berkeley Plantation in VA.  . Also been to his home Grouseland in Vincennes, Indiana..

10. Tyler. been to his home Sherwood Forest just a few miles up the road from Berkely.

11.Polk...now I have visited his home in Columbia TN...near Nashville.

12. Taylor......been to his home in Louisville Ky..at least on the outside, it is a private Residence ...so you cannot go in

13. Fillmore...no@ but has home in East Aurora  NY near Buffalo, 

14. Pierce...recent;ly home visited in Hillsborough NH

15. Buchanan.... has home , Wheatfield, in Lancaster PA....

16. Lincoln....been to both birthplace in Kentucky# and his home in Springfield Ill. In fact, as of this writing...I was just there two days ago.

17. Andrew Johnson...been to his home# in Greeneville TN.  

18. Grant....been to both the Grant Farm# near St. Louis and his home in Galena, Ill.

19. Hayes....my most recent visit was to his home in Fremont Ohio.... 

20 Garfield....been to Lawnfield#, his home in Mentor, Ohio....

21. Arthur... he has a home in NY City..recently "visited"...it is the Indian market ...

22.and 24 Cleveland....no@...but he has a home in Princeton NJ.  

23. Benjamin Harrison.... has a home in Indianapolis which I visited Sept. 2019.....

25. McKinley.  "His" home was actually his wife's home, Ida Saxton McKinley which now serves as the "First Ladies National Historic site"# in Canton, Ohio. This is only about 25 miles from where I live.  

26. Theodore Roosevelt.  I have been to his Elkhorn Ranch inside the Theodore Roosevelt National Park# in North Dakota.  His main home at Sagamore Hill NY# on Long Island I have  been to now, and also I have been to his birthplace home# in NYC can also be visited..it is a national park unit.. No resorts in ND anywhere...and for NYC...see those resorts...or the Fire Island resort that I have never seen available.

27. Taft. I have been to his home, the William Howard Taft National Historic site# is in Cincinnati.  

28. Wilson.  no@...but his birthplace in Staunton VA can be visited. Somewhat near entrance to Shenandoah. He also has his retirement home in DC, which I was to the outside of, but it was closed when I got there.  Va. mountain resorts nearby

29. Harding.  Counting this one...see below  His home in Marion, Ohio can be visited...though the inside is and will be closed for some years. Been to the outside and to his gravesite. 

30. Coolidge.  I have been to his home in central Vermont.

31. Hoover. I have been to his boyhood homestead# in West Branch Iowa.  .

32. Franklin Roosevelt.  I have been to both his home in Hyde Park NY# and his summer home in Campobello, New Brunswick...a joint US/Canada National Site.  This is where he contracted polio. 

33. Truman...Yes..I have visited his home in Independence Mo.#  I visited in April 2017.  

34. Eisenhower...I have been to his home in Gettysburg#.  You access it from the Gettysburg Battlefield visitor center. 

35. Kennedy.  I have been to the JFK Birthplace# in Brookline Mass  The Kennedy compound in Hyaniss port is not accessible as the family still lives there...you can see it from the road and from a boat....my sister once worked on the compound, at a neighbor's house. (the compound consists of more than just Kennedy homes). She even dated one of the Kennedy security guards.  Cape Cod resorts...or Boston Marriott.

36. Lyndon Johnson. Been to both his birthplace and his ranch# can be visited in Johnson City TX  San Antonio or Austin area.

37. Nixon.....no@ he lived in several places.  His most famous were the Western White House in San Clemente, which is a private home, and his home in Key Biscayne, which has been torn down. but, I believe his birthplace can be visited in Yorba Linda CA. Closest to Yorba Linda may be Anaheim/Orange Co. resorts.

38. Gerald Ford...no@...like Nixon, Ford lived several places...none of which I believe may be visited as they are private home though supposedly there is his boyhood home in Grand Rapids Mich.. No resorts in that part of Mich.

39. Jimmy Carter... his boyhood home and environs may be visited as part of the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site# in Plains Ga.

40. Reagan....no@....but there is a home in Dixon, Ill. that there is an attempt to preserve where he lived for a time as a child.  His Rancho De Cielo in Santa Barbara is not open to the public, but is owned by an organization that will allow you to visit  but  only apparently if you can prove your credentials as a arch conservative sychophant. Dixon...closest is Galena again.

41. George H.W. Bush. Walker Point, Kennebunkport.  I have been there...sorta. I have seen and taken photos of it from across the water and in front of the gate.....  it is not open to the public. Not sure who is staying there now that both he and his wife have died...maybe W. or Jeb?. Views of it accessible from lower Maine coastal resorts. I have been to the house in Midland TX where he lived. 

42. Bill Clinton. His birthplace in Hope Arkansas is a national historic site.# I visited it on a resort trip to Hot Springs Ark. 

43. George W. Bush.   his boyhood home in Midland Texas where he and his dad and mother lived has been preserved and can be visited.  I visited it . The home that the family lived in Odessa can also be visited.

44. Obama.  no@.....As far as I know the house he owns in the Kenwood neighborhood in Chicago is still his. I don't know if he plans to move back there when his children graduate from school. He is now living somewhere in DC.

45. Trump.  Supposedly Trump Tower, the commercial building in which he lives on the top floor is open for visitation. He also spends a lot...a lot of time at Mar-a-Lago.  Obviously no current residence would be open to the public.

• 4 weeks later...