THE BROWNS BOARD

***Jets VS Browns Gameday Thread***

Nero

The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

OBJ was targeted 10 times (6 catches).  Landry 7 targets (3 catches)

TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

Basically, we were without two weapons. 

At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

------------

Freddie:

I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

The Jets actually had the ball longer than we did.    (...just checked out the game book)

TE's targeted 3 times with 1 measly 4 yard catch.   It is THIS position (along with Higgins) that was supposed to flourish with OBJ & Landry on the field.  Higgins didn't suit up and Njoku was lost early in the game.  Higgins' replacement chipped in with a couple of 20+ yard receptions (Ratley) but it is Higgins that Baker developed a 'feel' for when he arrived in Cleveland.  Ratley was  hurt (again).

At TE, without Njoku, we're without a TE to throw to.  At least that's the way it looks right now.  You'd be tempted to want DeValve back, but really, he was just a tall lumbering lug who couldn't stay out of the medical tent.  We'll probably set TE as a mini-priority in next year's draft.

------------

Freddie:

I didn't like the idea of going for it on 4th down.  Fortunately, we benefited from a defensive penalty to convert one.  And Freddie was only bluffing on the two other 4th down plays.   The Jets were crippled.  We should've kept punting them deep in their end (which is what we did).  BTW, Hue was too dumb to try and draw a D offsides on 4th down.

I didn't understand all of the passing in the closing minutes of the game.  I mean, why put Baker in position to get injured with a 20 point lead on a team with a crippled offense?  It didn't make sense to me.  We should've been running the ball and punting if we had to.  

Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Because Freddie was treating it like a scrimmage that counted? Working on stuff?  Some have said- September is now the preseason?  

Well, I don't like it.  Baker got sacked while 'working on stuff'?   IMO he should've been working on his hand-off to a RB.  Perhaps Johnson at that point.  QB's have been dropping like flies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Across the league. It really is nfl preseason. August is all about setting the roster. Sept is the practice season. A lot of the slop goes away come October. Except officiating. That’s just year round B.S.  I compared full time job MLB umps to part time NFL refs. There is no comparison. Until the owners want better officiating, we’re stuck with deaf, dumb and blind

11 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Then why complain? ...

There were plenty of short throws that went nowhere and screens. The offense was basically getting practice reps in as Jets were hopeless with third stringer QB

23 points against the Jets without Williams and Mosley?  And you go into the game knowing that Gregg Williams is going to play a Safety 25 yards off the ball.  It’s week 2 we have some new pieces but it needs work and the Browns are truly bless this year with Backs/WRs that can do special Things after the catch.  

The offense is backwards now in its approach

I went back to see what led up to Myles' first roughing penalty and found the answer. He was sending a message to Gregg Williams and the Jets D. Jamal Adams had already been flagged for roughing Baker Mayfield and then while our RB was being held up for no further gain by at least two teammates, he took another even harder free shot at our RB, but was not called. He got away with one IMO. So the next opportunity that Myles had to take a shot at the QB, he took it. And then he took the other as well which was really no worse than the first except TS flexed his own lower leg and ankle back under his upper leg rather than out strait like he should have, which forced the injury bad enough to leave the game. Unfortunately he is now out for the season for torn ankle ligaments that will require surgery. I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I went back to see what led up to Myles' first roughing penalty and found the answer. He was sending a message to Gregg Williams and the Jets D. Jamal Adams had already been flagged for roughing Baker Mayfield and then while our RB was being held up for no further gain by at least two teammates, he took another even harder free shot at our RB, but was not called. He got away with one IMO. So the next opportunity that Myles had to take a shot at the QB, he took it. And then he took the other as well which was really no worse than the first except TS flexed his own lower leg and ankle back under his upper leg rather than out strait like he should have, which forced the injury bad enough to leave the game. Unfortunately he is now out for the season for torn ankle ligaments that will require surgery. I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

I wouldn't blame Semian for falling awkardly either. That stuff happens in miliseconds and many injuries are caused by a part of the body being in the wrong moment at the wrong time, not conciously.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think you’re on to something Tex. Myles has seemingly added an element of “fuck all y’all” to his game, and l think he’s willing to barter a penalty or two so that the sweet pitter patter of his footsteps lives in the back of the QBs mind all game long.

7 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think you’re on to something Tex. Myles has seemingly added an element of “fuck all y’all” to his game, and l think he’s willing to barter a penalty or two so that the sweet pitter patter of his footsteps lives in the back of the QBs mind all game long.

That plus I think it pissed him off that one of Williams' boys was taking "bounty" type hits on two of his better offensive teammates. Payback's a MF!

EDIT: It's like the opposing pitcher who takes a head shot in payment for a prior head shot on a teammate. Sends a message. No freebies without a cost.

Ok, so we discussed the fact that we're snapping the ball (sometimes frantically) at the last second over and over, but I don't believe we discussed just how much of a hindrance this is, OR what the cause is. 

For instance, remember how the announcers and our board kept saying that Gregg appears to be getting the upper hand on Baker? Well, much of that is due to Baker not having any time on the play clock. If you're clapping your hands and just trying to SNAP the ball, you're not running motion, you're not observing the defense pre-snap as much, you're not going to have time to signal hot routes or come close to calling audibles. This is exactly why Baker got caught in the "Oh crap they're playing zone and not man" debacle. 

So now we've identified one of the major issues affecting our offense, we need to figure out WHY it's happening. To be honest, I have no clue. Is it because Freddie is having trouble being the head coach and calling plays? Is it something Baker is doing wrong? I'm going to need someone smarter than me to identify the issue here, but I have always heard that when there are play clock issues, it's generally the coaching staff screwing up. Here's a stat from PFF. In Browns plays that have the time for motion, we average 14 yards a play. We simply HAVE to figure out ways to get to the damn LOS faster and give Baker every opportunity to succeed. This issue is so vital to our offensive success that it almost deserves its own thread. If there's no time on the play clock, you can't check to Nick Chubb. You can't get Odell to signal a hot route, and most importantly, you don't have time to identify the defense, and THIS is what is killing Mayfield more than any other factor.

Get it fixed, find the rhythm, win the game. 

23 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I have no problem with this especially if it’s message sent to Division foes.  Ideally it doesn’t take place in the 4th quarter of a close game 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Ok, so we discussed the fact that we're snapping the ball (sometimes frantically) at the last second over and over, but I don't believe we discussed just how much of a hindrance this is, OR what the cause is. 

Actually, yes, we/I discussed precisely that.

For instance, remember how the announcers and our board kept saying that Gregg appears to be getting the upper hand on Baker? Well, much of that is due to Baker not having any time on the play clock. If you're clapping your hands and just trying to SNAP the ball, you're not running motion, you're not observing the defense pre-snap as much, you're not going to have time to signal hot routes or come close to calling audibles. This is exactly why Baker got caught in the "Oh crap they're playing zone and not man" debacle. 

So now we've identified one of the major issues affecting our offense, we need to figure out WHY it's happening. To be honest, I have no clue. Is it because Freddie is having trouble being the head coach and calling plays? Is it something Baker is doing wrong? I'm going to need someone smarter than me to identify the issue here, but I have always heard that when there are play clock issues, it's generally the coaching staff screwing up. Here's a stat from PFF. In Browns plays that have the time for motion, we average 14 yards a play. We simply HAVE to figure out ways to get to the damn LOS faster and give Baker every opportunity to succeed. This issue is so vital to our offensive success that it almost deserves its own thread. If there's no time on the play clock, you can't check to Nick Chubb. You can't get Odell to signal a hot route, and most importantly, you don't have time to identify the defense, and THIS is what is killing Mayfield more than any other factor.

Get it fixed, find the rhythm, win the game. 

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I have not seen him play with such intensity to really run through people rather than just bring them down.

I think that perhpas it's a case of "function following form"...

Put another way Garrett looks bigger and stronger this season so no his bull rush is more effective than ever.

And the good news is that he hasn't lost a step.

9 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Across the league. It really is nfl preseason. August is all about setting the roster. Sept is the practice season. A lot of the slop goes away come October. Except officiating in Miami.

FIFY

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I hope this does not get into Myles' head, because it was not really his fault how the QB's leg tucked under himself the wrong way rather than take a better fall.

Crossed my mind as well... hope he takes solace in not trying to injure, just trying to impact. I'm guessing that was the case.

It would not shock me to hear that he called Trevor to wish him a speedy recovery and return to the league.

17 hours ago, Orion said:

------------

Freddie:

all i can say is lucky we played the jets with their injuries...other than miami, we would have got our asses kicked...we play like this against the next 5 teams, we will not win one of those games....never saw so much undiscipline play in my life...the ol stinks...poor baker.....at least we cut the penalties down to what...8, which is still bad....fucking someone has to smack garrett in the head...he's heading for possible ejection with his play....we will see how we play against a  quality team in the rams this sunday......somehow i think its going to show that we should have hired williams instead of kitchens.... 

On 9/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, TypicalBrowns50 said:

The browns are a mystery box, good d, Inconsistent offense, playmakers can make things happen when they get the ball, young quarterback that learned a lot tonight. Baker was inconsistent. 

combo of bad throws and a terrible ol......he's going to on ir if this keeps up....soooon.....

On 9/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, Tour2ma said:

I did urge everyone to register and check it out EARLY...

Some people are simply uncoachable... :rolleyes:

I was busy moving into a new home and getting my previous home of 29yrs ready to rent. Monday's game was the first snap I've seen of Browns football this year........ but I eventually found a way into the Tavern.

Now to see if I can do it again. 

7 hours ago, D Bone said:

I was busy moving into a new home and getting my previous home of 29yrs ready to rent. Monday's game was the first snap I've seen of Browns football this year........ but I eventually found a way into the Tavern.

Now to see if I can do it again. 

If you saved your password on your computer it should be easy. It tossed me out once Monday and I got right back with the saved password.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm still of the belief that Baker is pressing too much and because of this, isn't seeing the field as he should.

Exhibit A)

I wasn't the only one who initially thought the sky cam was a player. Yeah Tia, last year that's an easy TD with the guy wide open....  

It's been pointed out elsewhere he's missing stuff that he didn't last year.... The int thrown in OBJ's direction, he had Nick Chubb with no one within 5 yards of him. .....

He missed seeing open receivers last year...

What he did not do is miss throws to the ones he saw.

gum... you looked at the all-22 yet? Any confirmation/thoughts on Bito shading Robinson's way?

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

gum... you looked at the all-22 yet? Any confirmation/thoughts on Bito shading Robinson's way?

taking a 2nd look at 2 things..my tavern concern was Joel's head turned right pre-snap, looking at Bake, feeding Tretter when to snap or any line changes..just looked odd & surprised we were not flagged on a few that Joel seemed to roll out of early.. 2nd..I don't get all the chatter about Baker not getting the play in or out of huddle... I logged when Baker walked out of huddle..Bakes got more time than Hue ever allowed for Kizer :P.. only 3 snaps were under 5 secs..which 2 could have got flagged..16 were snapped 6-10 secs..25 with 11-15 seconds left on play clock.. Annyy-who?..over 60% of the snaps he had time to read & adjust..he might not be there yet after Lincoln Riley & Baker wrote the book on up tempo jumps starts a QB's rhythm..                        On to Robinson.Joel's head turned away from Robinison inside gap is bothersome at the sight of it. The only chance Robbie & Hub have got is when they get their hands inside..ask the refs;).. did see the better line play, but it was a banged up Jets front. And we want no part of that Jags D' front from last night. Also add D'Ernest Johnson to a game pass pro blocker..Ernie cracked 2 in the hole, that never came back👍      

9 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

taking a 2nd look at 2 things..my tavern concern was Joel's head turned right pre-snap, looking at Bake, feeding Tretter when to snap or line changes..just looked odd & surprised we were not flagged on a few that Joel seemed to roll out of.. 2nd..I don't get all the chatter about Baker not getting the play in or out of huddle... I logged when Baker walked out of huddle..Bakes got more time than Hue ever allowed for Kizer :P.. only 3 snaps were under 5 secs..which 2 could have got flagged..16 were snapped 6-10 secs..25 with 11-15 seconds left on play clock.. Annyy-who?..over 60% of the snaps he had time to read & adjust..he might not be there yet after Lincoln Riley & Baker wrote the book on up tempo jumps starts a QB's rhythm..                        On to Robinson.Joel's head turned away from Robinison inside gap is bothersome at the sight of it. The only chance Robbie & Hub have got is when they get their hands inside..ask the refs;).. did see the better line play, but it was a banged up Jets front. And we want no part of that Jags D' front from last night. Also add D'Ernest Johnson to a game pass pro blocker..Ernie cracked 2 in the hole, that never came back👍      

I don’t know if this has anything to do with anything, but l notice Bitonio is typically the last guy to get into his stance pre snap. Kinda like he’s part of the timing mechanism of the play, and possibly a last minute checker outer of what the defense is doing.