THE BROWNS BOARD

Darnold ruled out for Monday

Alkid3

Darnold had "Mono"... a/k/a "the kissing disease"...

Trevor Siemian, recent Elway savior turned castoff, is the NYJ backup. Numbers he racked up in Denver are decent... for a backup.

And our history vs. backups is littered with bad results. Once upon a time it seemed that whenever we knocked out a starter, the #2 beat us.

I doubt Gase is going to put the game on Trevor's shoulders. Expect them to "pound the rock" early and often.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Trevor Siemian, recent Elway savior turned castoff, is the NYJ backup. Numbers he racked up in Denver are decent... for a backup.

And our history vs. backups is littered with bad results. Once upon a time it seemed that whenever we knocked out a starter, the #2 beat us.

I doubt Gase is going to put the game on Trevor's shoulders. Expect them to "pound the rock" early and often.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001053853/article/sam-darnold-to-miss-brownsjets-with-mononucleosis

Fer sure Tour. Expect a heavy dose of our old Steeler pal Le'Veon Bell.... Who's also ailing... Couple other Jets grounded too... If we can't beat this team... Well, it just might be time for us to push the panic button....   

WebMD.....

Mononucleosis, often called "mono," is an illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. When mono occurs during adolescence or adulthood, symptoms are more severe --high fever that can last up to three weeks, swollen lymph glands in the back of the neck, and severe sore throat. Rare but major complications that can develop from mono include rupture of the spleen. Follow the links below to find WebMD's comprehensive coverage about how mononucleosis is contracted, what it looks like, how to treat it, and much more......

~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jets might be screwed for awhile.

I don’t know how much of a difference Sam Darnold makes.  I was banking on a fumble and a couple errant throws in the second half when they Time actually calls for him to throw the ball down field.

espn loves them some Darnold but the jets have protected him for over a year now and the offense has always been very safe and QB friendly 

Like his backup we have to be ready for the dunk and dunk offense. 

The problem with Mono your organs are under stress specifically the spleen if you have a bad case it’s enlarged and one hit to the area and you are in surgery for a ruptured spleen 

36 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

WebMD.....

Mononucleosis, often called "mono," is an illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. When mono occurs during adolescence or adulthood, symptoms are more severe --high fever that can last up to three weeks, swollen lymph glands in the back of the neck, and severe sore throat. Rare but major complications that can develop from mono include rupture of the spleen. Follow the links below to find WebMD's comprehensive coverage about how mononucleosis is contracted, what it looks like, how to treat it, and much more......

~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jets might be screwed for awhile.

My buddy got mono senior year high school (12 years ago, to be fair) and they would absolutely not let him play football (or any contact sport) for a month based on his spleen being "sensitive".  That didn't have to do with his case being severe, just standard practice, On top of that as you've noted, this really has almost pneumonia type symptoms. I have zero clue how they treat this nowadays, but I'd bet he misses a full month.

This is now the perfect storm. The Monday night, the backup QB, the being favored to win....

This is Scott Mitchell against the Browns in 1993 all over again. Oh yeah, I totally remember. Dan Marino gets injured and Browns are going to win the game, but nooooo....Scott Mitchell comes in and somehow leads the Dolphins to victory. Anybody know the Browns record against backup QBs? Isn't it like 1-107, with the one victory coming against Charlie Whitehurst and the Titans? We ALWAYS make backup QBs look like Kurt Warner and I hope to God it doesn't happen again. In fact, I'd RATHER play Sam Darnold than Simien, and it's not close. Darnold completed 56 passes last week for 116 yards or something like that. I'm totally cool with that, but what I DON'T want is some guy coming in with something to prove who is going to push the ball all over the field (or at least try to). 

Laugh all you want, but this sounds like it could be the Brownsiest game ever. Lord I hope not. 

• Thanks 1

And it ain't just Darnold they might be missing...

New York Jets
Sep 12
3912547.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro Sam Darnold
Position: Quarterback

Coach Adam Gase acknowledged Thursday that Darnold (mono) will probably miss multiple weeks, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports. "Looks like it," Gase noted with regard to the possibility that his top QB would miss more than one contest. "Good thing we've got an early bye week."
3120464.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro John Franklin-Myers
Position: Defensive Lineman

Franklin-Myers (undisclosed) did not practice Thursday, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reports.
4040982.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro Quinnen Williams
Position: Defensive Tackle

Williams (ankle) didn't participate in Thursday's practice, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reports.
16720.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgroun C.J. Mosley
Position: Linebacker

Mosley (groin) did not participate in Thursday's practice, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reports.
15825.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgroun Le'Veon Bell
Position: Running Back

Bell is slated to undergo an MRI on his shoulder, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
13216.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgroun Demaryius Thomas
Position: Wide Receiver

Thomas (hamstring) did not practice Thursday, Connor Hughes of The Athletic reports.
Sep 11
3115373.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro Jamal Adams
Position: Safety

Adams (hip) didn't participate in Wednesday's practice, Ralph Vacchiano of SportsNet New York reports.
16899.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgroun Quincy Enunwa
Position: Wide Receiver

Enunwa suffered neck injury in Sunday's 17-16 loss to the Bills and will be shut down for the rest of the season, Brian Costello of the New York Post reports.
Sep 10
4076951.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&backgro Nathan Shepherd

13 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is now the perfect storm. The Monday night, the backup QB, the being favored to win....

This is Scott Mitchell against the Browns in 1993 all over again. Oh yeah, I totally remember. Dan Marino gets injured and Browns are going to win the game, but nooooo....Scott Mitchell comes in and somehow leads the Dolphins to victory. Anybody know the Browns record against backup QBs? Isn't it like 1-107, with the one victory coming against Charlie Whitehurst and the Titans? We ALWAYS make backup QBs look like Kurt Warner and I hope to God it doesn't happen again. In fact, I'd RATHER play Sam Darnold than Simien, and it's not close. Darnold completed 56 passes last week for 116 yards or something like that. I'm totally cool with that, but what I DON'T want is some guy coming in with something to prove who is going to push the ball all over the field (or at least try to). 

Laugh all you want, but this sounds like it could be the Brownsiest game ever. Lord I hope not. 

Just beat me to it. Good memory/bad memory!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Trust me, we're all thinking this I feel haha. It may end being a good thing for this game in particular they got embarrassed last week, cause they'll still be coming out hungry.

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Rob Ninkovich had the line of the day on NFL Live...

"Mono? What is this High School?"

Fans I'm sure are going to get creative in the heckles, that's for sure. Doesn't help Sam still looks 16 years old in the face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

WebMD.....

Mononucleosis, often called "mono," is an illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. When mono occurs during adolescence or adulthood, symptoms are more severe --high fever that can last up to three weeks, swollen lymph glands in the back of the neck, and severe sore throat. Rare but major complications that can develop from mono include rupture of the spleen. 

Fd33.gif   

When the Browns get you down? just Listen to a Jets fan 🤣...

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

to make matters worse, it appears bell may not be able to go, but not 100 percent sure at this time...i have seen this time and time again...this looks like a recipe for disaster for the browns....they will as you say, run run run and rely on their d which is quite good....this game will be closer than anyone thinks..

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Fd33.gif   

When the Browns get you down? just Listen to a Jets fan 🤣...

i recall alot of classmates way back in the day....eh, grade school as a matter of fact.....came down with it....don't remember what they treated it with...probably penicillin...that's about all they had  back then...

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

My buddy got mono senior year high school (12 years ago, to be fair) and they would absolutely not let him play football (or any contact sport) for a month based on his spleen being "sensitive".  That didn't have to do with his case being severe, just standard practice, On top of that as you've noted, this really has almost pneumonia type symptoms. I have zero clue how they treat this nowadays, but I'd bet he misses a full month.

It's a viral infection- there's still no effective  way to treat it, other than doing symptomatic relief stuff.....

"Because your spleen may become enlarged as a result of infectious mononucleosis, you should avoid contact sports until you fully recover. Participating in contact sports can be strenuous and may cause the spleen to rupture."  You can bet the Jets Docs will do an ultrasound on Sam to check on his spleen before they let him resume contact... 

A ruptured spleen can be life threatening due to internal blood loss....  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And ESPN is having a hissy fit on how they're going to market this game now.... 

Considering OBJ just called Gregg Williams dirty and that he expects the Jets defensive players to take cheapshots at him, I think they've been handed an angle. 

Browns win easy, but then here comes back all the over-hype which hurts them like in week 1. OBJ is really gonna want to excel with the game being in NYC. He wants to make the fans sorry he was traded out of NY, even though this isn't the team who did it. 

Jets secondary is terrible. Bakes should rip it to shreds. I'm gonna say, Browns 24, NY 13. 

36 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Perfect trap game.   If I was Freddie I'd coach these fuckers up like we are going up against the Patriots.   If I saw one ounce of lazy shit  I'd flip the fuck out on them.    

You completely crushed it. This just has ALL the feeling of a trap, and it's going to be popping in NY!