THE BROWNS BOARD

I will be in the hospital again SEPT 15, surgery/ FINAL UPDATE, IM DONE NOV. 27 !

mjp28

This is the same email I sent out to my friends and family.    NOTE: I START REHAB 10-17-2019, one month after surgery.

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know we saw the surgeon today and went over things I will be going to St Elizabeth hospital on Belmont Avenue this coming Sunday September 15 to get things started. I will have clean up surgery probably Tuesday or Wednesday that week to treat the osteomyelitis (infection) of the left pelvis that is there.

This all started in 2014 with a very small opening on my hip which Nancy had treated with no problem but it opened again and eventually doctors found out it had tunneled deep into my hip and we've been dealing with it ever since. Those type of infections can be stubborn especially if/when they get into the surrounding bones. I had osteomyelitis of the left femur in 2017 and was treated with massive amounts of antibiotics. I also had other issues like a bad kidney infection in 2015 and a small abscess that had to be removed this year and treated with antibiotics with landed me in the hospital and rehab for 3 1/2 months this year.  We do not know what will happen yet with this surgery.

This is NOT a minor surgery and I'm not exactly sure what he will do once the surgery begins but I will probably be in the hospital for the week and maybe more. It will be up to my ID (infectious disease) doctors to determine the course of treatment after that as far as either IV antibiotics in the hospital or oral medications or whatever. It will be up to the surgeon and my new MD on any rehab treatment necessary......we will find out about all of that later.

SO we just get ready for all of this and go check into St E and see where we go from there, at least they have good cable TV to watch my favorite sports teams on! Catch you all later when we know more. Michael and Nancy
  • Sad 1

Oh God it just hit me my GAMEDAY meal this Sunday and Monday will be hospital food again!

Well the hospital I will be in isn't too bad for meals......for hospital food.

GO BROWNS, just do it baby!

I rarely pray for anything, generally take life the way the hand is dealt. But in your case I will make an exception. God knows you've been through enough already. I pray He will have mercy and make this right for you as quickly as possible with a minimal amount of pain and suffering. Get well soon and get home.             Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

What a day, had a hard time sleeping Sunday night with a Monday or Tuesday expected surgery date but my doctors knew it was important. It will be the biggest surgery I've ever had.

Moved my left hip surgery to clean up the infected areas up to this Monday at 10 am spent 1 hour 15 minutes under the knife and drill I guess all went well.  

Will have a "big ass" scar on my hip to my butt maybe I'll take pictures.  On second thought..... :lol:

Now time to get back in the groove and see where I go next.

(this is the same email I sent out to friends and family)

Hi everyone, Wednesday 2:40 am (I slept much of Monday and Tuesday just getting my strength back..... now I'm awake.)

Just a recap of what happened this Monday and Tuesday.

What a day, had a hard time sleeping Sunday night with a Monday or Tuesday expected surgery date but my doctors knew it was important. It will be the biggest surgery I've ever had.

Moved my left hip surgery to clean up the infected areas up to this Monday at 10 am spent 1 hour 15 minutes under the knife and drills I guess all went well.  Everyone seems ok with the results of the surgery but I'm still sore..... naturally.

I'm now doing follow up visits with my medical doctor, surgeon, and ID doctor who is waiting on the cultures from the Monday surgery to determine the next move and where I might be going next whether it is IV antibiotics or rehab or possibly home IF EVERYTHING is clear, we'll see on that. I've been in St E's for a little over two days seems like two weeks.

It's very early yet but I feel a little better-but- I still have some healing to do. 

So we wait until Wednesday or Thursday for the lab results and go from there. I will get some sports TV time in, the food is pretty good......for hospital food.

Will keep you all posted it's now about 3 am and I'm going to try to sleep some at least it's quiet now......oooops my IV just went off.

Catch you later on my world hospital tour, lol. mjp

Hi everyone,

Well the mjp world hospital your continues in St E's Sunday, surgery Monday released Friday went straight to Vibra specialty hospital where I've been before I'll be here for at least four weeks with IV therapy and some PT. After that I will probably go to a rehab facility for a few weeks depending on exactly what IV therapy is necessary.

I should be home around Thanksgiving or Christmas I guess.  Pretty much like what I did earlier this year but I'm hoping that the progress will be a bit faster because I pretty much know what to expect.

At least I'm now only about one mile from home, makes things easier for everyone.

Catch you all later, mjp.
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Well thankful for small blessings I guess.

WSS

I get to watch all of the football, baseball, movies, news, whatever I want.  They have a really good staff here and really decent food it is only a 28 bed specialty hospital and the cleanest facility I've ever seen.

My wife is only about 2 minutes away which is nice. Plus I should start the rehab tomorrow and I'm actually looking forward to that. 

Plus I get all of the much needed sleep that I need.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,  Thursday September 26 8:20 pm,.  

GOOD NEWS well sorta' I found out this afternoon that I will still need six weeks of IV antibiotic treatment but because it will be all the same single antibiotic they will count it from when I came in the hospital on Sunday September 15 so my estimated end of meds date will be approximately October 28 and not into November as I expected.

In any event I will probably have to leave here by October 31 due to Medicare insurance bs but it might work out better because I will probably need a little rehab. I am going to try a beautiful new place the Woodlands by Hampton. It was recommended by my doctor and Nancy checked it out and said it was really nice.

If I have between 3 or 4 weeks rehab (guessing) that should get me home by/around Thanksgiving.  Whew!  

I feel MUCH better and farther ahead than I was the first time I was in earlier this year.

And the mjp hospital world tour continues. Later. mjp

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

mjp....If you consider it "good news", then so be it! You'll remain in my Prayers & God Bless.

Also......GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

Yes this operation seems to be a good job a lot of the bad pain I had has been gone.

Last time I was in the hospital and rehab for about 3 1/2 months this will less how much we're not 100% sure but maybe a month or a little more.

And thank you and all of you guys for your thoughts and prayers it is very appreciated by me and my wife.

One day at a time that's all we can do!

Hi everyone,

Just found out for sure today that I will leave this nice specialty hospital and begin the last stretch in a rehab place Thursday October 17, 2019.

I went into the hospital on Sunday September 15 had my pelvis surgery on Monday September 16 and am wrapping up that today one month after surgery.

The surgery went well and healed very nicely with virtually no complications -and- I'm really pretty much pain free in that area.

I will still finish my IV antibiotic treatment there by about October 28 and if all goes well I will be out of there in early November and before Thanksgiving.

That is two surgeries and two hospitalizations in this year......whew enough!  Catch you all later, mjp & njp.

Well Monday 10-21-19 and I start with the real PT again in 30 minutes.    Cutting into my serious computer time.   :lol:

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well Monday 10-21-19 and I start with the real PT again in 30 minutes.    Cutting into my serious computer time.   :lol:

Oh geeezzzz I'm sore, my first real day of OT and PT since July.  It was interesting never have been here before they operate slightly different than some others, they have roughly 9  regular therapists and you may have a main two but occasionally work with others.  Looks like 8 women and I saw 1 man.  I've met 4 of the women so far one is uhhhh unique a tall thin former women's basketball and volleyball player Erin she's in charge of my OT and conditioning and she's 6' 1" and cute.  Whoa.

Well back at it tomorrow and they work you 6 days a week here off Sunday.....hey football time!

Time for my milk and cookies snack soon. Later.  :)

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Exactly which "muscle" is she working on there for ya?😍

All of them.    :o

• 4 weeks later...

THURSDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2019,. I'm getting everything ready here to blow out of this culinary wasteland real soon scheduled for Wednesday November 27 one day before Thanksgiving Day.

WORST food I've ever had anywhere and I have been in 5 different hospitals and now this is 6 different rehab places.

Details to follow -but- in my mind I am already gone.....baby!   :lol:

• Thanks 1

This is the email that I sent to my friends and family.......

Hi everyone,

I hope that this is the last hospital/rehab update of 2019 and 2020 and beyond.

Just wanted to let you know that I am going to get out of Beeghly Oakes rehab where I am now and go home on November 27 the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

This is just a target date and I will still have to be strong and steady enough to do it but that is my plan.  Barring any unforeseen circumstances this looks like a firm discharge date.

My main problem is still my left shoulder which is bad (needs replaced) and somewhat my chronic psyatic left hip still hurts plus they found out in my August 20 MRI I do have disc issues between C3 and C4 and C5 but we're not addressing those issues now.  This is recovering from my April 3 and September 16 surgeries and just getting me home for some much needed R&R I basically have been in the hospital and rehab since April 2nd.  No other surgeries are planned at this time at all !

So I'm going to work as hard as I can and hope for the best.  I will have many follow up doctor and pain management visits to do later.

Nancy has gotten the house all fixed up painting the whole downstairs in 2018 and the whole upstairs in 2019 along with crown moulding throughout, new ceiling fans and lights, and new blinds on 10 windows.  All that is left is to redo the upstairs bathroom and new garage doors and our 34 year house will be nicely overhauled.

So I'm ready for a long winter's rest and recuperation at home soon.  Michael and Nancy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hope you had a nice home Thanksgiving.🦃😋

We did.  Best sage dressing that I've ever had!  Wife made it with Hawaiian bread and sweet onions and our home grown herbs.

My mom and grandma made the best.....it was better.  Plus pan gravy, mashed potatoes and the rest, oh yeah!