THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 2 - BROWNS injury report and weekly or daily updates. CLE at NYJ

mjp28

Hubbard is still a huge liability, but hopefully it'll get cleaned up (save injury) Monday night. I don't want to get into the weeds, but of the 5 sacks I believe 4 were after Robinson was a moron and Lamm/Forbes also went out. Tough hill to climb with that level of injury.

Big one is Higgins-it was apparent that dude brings a lot of value to the squad.

7 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Hubbard is still a huge liability, but hopefully it'll get cleaned up (save injury) Monday night. I don't want to get into the weeds, but of the 5 sacks I believe 4 were after Robinson was a moron and Lamm/Forbes also went out. Tough hill to climb with that level of injury.

Big one is Higgins-it was apparent that dude brings a lot of value to the squad.

Hmmmm.... could it be for MNF the Browns aren't going to keep Corbett and wazhisname on the inactive list?   

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hmmmm.... could it be for MNF the Browns aren't going to keep Corbett and wazhisname on the inactive list?   

With Lamm out, it's definitely a possible. We traded some non-insignificant pieces for Wyatt Teller who was I believe a healthy scratch from week one (maybe based on limited practice time).

Baker Mayfield is going to be on this list very soon unless we figure things out with our tackles.  I thought we lost Baker for the season on that safety...I really did.

To be somewhat fair, Baker held onto the ball WAY too long for much of the game, and on that safety he had no business getting sacked.  He HAD to know the pressure was coming, so it's either throw it out of bounds, or fire the ball to the dump off.  Baker did that at least 4 times where he held onto the ball for way too long, and when you do that, you're going to get holding penalties, sacks, and potentially fumbles.  

We don't get this fixed and our year will be over before it starts.  And by the way, if you guys thought the Titans brought pressure, just wait and see what Gregg Williams does on Monday night.  Baker might literally die...like for real.  I can already hear Browns fans screaming to run a screen pass, but the Browns are literally the worst team in the universe at running screens, yet we ALWAYS get beat by them.  Heck, if Dion Lewis doesn't drop the first one, he would've scored, too.  If we're going to win, it's going to be because our defense scores and keeps the ball game low scoring in general.  I don't see us scoring more than 17 points, and we're not getting that unless we get lucky on defense with a pick-6 or fumble recovery.  I think we have gigantic problems on the OL, and we're not going to be able to run, we're not going to take deep shots cuz no time, and Baker is going to be scared for his life, just like he was when Hue was the coach.  

I sure hope we win...because if we don't...our season is literally over.  It totally sucks to say that, but that's pretty much how it goes in the NFL.  We're playing a team that should've won their first game, so you KNOW they're going to be as desperate as us.  Also, Gregg Williams didn't get the coaching job with us, and he's going to be pissed.  He's probably working 60 hour days trying to figure out what to do, and Gregg has been known to put together a helluva game plan every now and then.  He's going to know Baker, he's going to know our offense, and he's going to have his defense ready for us.  I think we're in deep shit, but I'm really hoping we pull it out.  

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

For a goober  like me, that was a very interesting breakdown on how some  plays are run from various  formations, and what the QB should be  looking for  as the play  develops. 

Have to wonder if I  seriously  overrated Mitch  coming out of  college. It will be a  hoot if it turns out according to  the all  knowing Ghoolster  we should have  taken Trubisky instead of Garrett, and Mitch follows the  career track of Paxton Lynch. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

For a goober  like me, that was a very interesting breakdown on how some  plays are run from various  formations, and what the QB should be  looking for  as the play  develops. 

Have to wonder if I  seriously  overrated Mitch  coming out of  college. It will be a  hoot if it turns out according to  the all  knowing Ghoolster  we should have  taken Trubisky instead of Garrett, and Mitch follows the  career track of Paxton Lynch. 

The NFL still comes down to a QB being able to stand in the pocket, read defenses and get the ball out quickly to the right guy. 

QBs who cannot do that eventually get exposed, regardless of how physically talented they are. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The NFL still comes down to a QB being able to stand in the pocket, read defenses and get the ball out quickly to the right guy. 

QBs who cannot do that eventually get exposed, regardless of how physically talented they are. 

Why so many Heisman quarterbacks don't make it in the NFL, great scrambling or big gun guys who can handle college defenses -but- can't handle the rigors of life in the professional game.

Current guys like Man-zel, Mariota, RG III, and maybe Winston or Bradford.

Or oldies like Tebow, Weurfel, Leinart, Ware and remember Spurrier? But they are all over the the broadcast landscape.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well to be fair to Trubisky he has already accomplished far more than Paxton lynch ever did. Not that he has done much.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well to be fair to Trubisky he has already accomplished far more than Paxton lynch ever did. Not that he has done much.

I'm not going to go so far to say Trubisky will be on a downhill  track. The Bears won a  Super  Bowl  with  Jim  McMahon, and no one would  consider  him a great QB by any stretch of the  imagination.  Mitch was drafted #2 overall, and with  that comes some  mighty high  expectations. :)

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Why so many Heisman quarterbacks don't make it in the NFL, great scrambling or big gun guys who can handle college defenses -but- can't handle the rigors of life in the professional game.

Current guys like Man-zel, Mariota, RG III, and maybe Winston or Bradford.

Or oldies like Tebow, Weurfel, Leinart, Ware and remember Spurrier? But they are all over the the broadcast landscape.

Watched  a little  of the TNF game, and to say the least Winston's career stats to date aren't  what  you'd  expect out of a #1 overall  pick.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm not going to go so far to say Trubisky will be on a downhill  track. The Bears won a  Super  Bowl  with  Jim  McMahon, and no one would  consider  him a great QB by any stretch of the  imagination.  Mitch was drafted #2 overall, and with  that comes some  mighty high  expectations. :)

What I have seen of Trubisky are thrown up for grabs far too often... Thats a dangerous way to live... There are quick flashes but then... Thats just about it... He plays scared...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Big year for Mitch... has to prove himself this year and so far he hasn't.

The physical tools are there. The Head? Not so much...

It's almost like drafting a QB that high with all of a dozen college starts, and then immediately starting him in the NFL, is a recipe for long-term mediocre results.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's almost like drafting a QB that high with all of a dozen college starts, and then immediately starting him in the NFL, is a recipe for long-term mediocre results.

True in most, but not all, cases...

Just did a post on the WSU, Senior QB over in the college section. He impressed the shit outta me last nite and he's starting for the first time this season.

Good size.... good mobility... strong enough arm... goes thru progressions... and has the quickest release I've seen since Marino.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Washington State         99 127 78.0 1341 10.6 11.4 12 3 193.1
*2017 Washington State Pac-12 SO QB                    
*2018 Washington State Pac-12 JR QB 2 3 5 60.0 17 3.4 -5.6 0 1 48.6
2019 Washington State Pac-12 SR QB 3 96 122 78.7 1324 10.9 12.1 12 2 199.0

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Good size.... good mobility... strong enough arm... goes thru progressions... and has the quickest release I've seen since Marino.

Wait ... what?

Some guy that has started two games at Washington State has the quickest release since Marino??

Were you seeing if we were paying attention?

Quicker than Tom Brady? Cause he's pretty quick.

Peyton Manning, hell, Baker Mayfield has an awesome quick release. 

But some dude at Wash St. Is quicker than all of them?

Z

Randall is out, in concussion protocol.

I was just reflecting on that hit that Baker took last week on the safety.. I feel like we really dodged a bullet. Looked like a shoulder injury when seeing the replay.

If it wasn’t for the PA, he would’ve seen Hilliard open for a quick pass out of the back field. He also should have the awareness to be looking to that short route first. Which he didn’t. He looked away at something developing down the field.

you can see the play at the 2:30 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/titans-vs-browns-highlights-week-1

Hopefully the reads are cleaned up moving forward. With that being said I hope there is a ground game this week, and a set with a fullback in it.

54 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Wait ... what?

Some guy that has started two games at Washington State has the quickest release since Marino??

Were you seeing if we were paying attention?

Quicker than Tom Brady? Cause he's pretty quick.

Peyton Manning, hell, Baker Mayfield has an awesome quick release. 

Z

I could be wrong, but I think Zombo was somewhat incredulous about Tour's claim. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Check out the two throws cued up and get back to me...

Ball goes from breast plate to back shoulder to gone... effortlessly.

Same whether set (play #1) or on the move under pressure (play #2) which means it's innate/baked-in.

42 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

cue up some Offensive lineman and get back to me...

fixed :P..Yearly update...am starting with the 2 ox's at left & right tackle at Iowa 👀..damm lighting delay  

1 hour ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Randall is out, in concussion protocol.

Did GW send his Cleveland connection hitman in🥊? How do you end up with a concussion & hand injury overnight? the timing just seems really weird :ph34r:..next man up 

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Did GW send his Cleveland connection hitman in🥊? How do you end up with a concussion & hand injury overnight? the timing just seems really weird :ph34r:..next man up 

Haha maybe they didn’t realize his illness was concussion related. We have some nice options with Murray and Redwine 🍷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Check out the two throws cued up and get back to me...

Ball goes from breast plate to back shoulder to gone... effortlessly.

Same whether set (play #1) or on the move under pressure (play #2) which means it's innate/baked-in.

Looked like a Phillip Rivers_type shotput approach, with a short loading time and then powerful release.

Nobody does it like Danny:

14 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Haha maybe they didn’t realize his illness was concussion related. We have some nice options with Murray and Redwine 🍷

Same thing happened with Garrett one year. Concussion out of nowhere. He'll be fine, I don't think he has a history of concussions, so I'm not worried. Also, if there's game to miss, this is probably the one. 

The funny thing about being a Browns fan is you're so worried about the worst scenario, always thinking of how you can lose the next game. But I have to say, we're GOING to win this game, and I would bet on it. Our defensive coordinator put together a terrific plan save for too much blitzing, and the Titans were READY for it. That's not going to happen again. If we continue to blitz recklessly, we WILL be in trouble because if you think Derrick Henry is talented at catching screen passes, you don't want to see Bell. 

We don't need to send the farm after Simien. Instead, MAKE him beat your coverage. MAKE him throw those abominable horizontal screen passes to the WR. Suffocate him with DBs and see if he can fit the pill into narrow windows. If he can, then we adjust, but I don't see it happening. 

Offensively, we need to take advantage of Mosley being out. Njoku should have a huge day, and Baker REALLY needs to take what is available and not press. Nickel and dime them to death, take the calculated deep shots. 

Win...the...game.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zombo said:

Looked like a Phillip Rivers_type shotput approach, with a short loading time and then powerful release.

Nobody does it like Danny:

I don't see Rivers, but agree about Marino...

... and I accept your apology. :)