THE BROWNS BOARD

Flags/Penalties

Gunz41

First... anyone throwing a punch at a helmeted player is stupid.... because... you know... helmet...

But for a skill position player, especially Receivers and QBs, to do so is double-stupid... at a minimum.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We may have been in the playoffs in 07 if it was applied a little tighter.  Lol.  

To Humphrey’s credit he apologized yesterday, I think he even realized he was way over the line 

Apparently Humphrey was told by Harbaugh "to get physical" with OBJ.  Also apparently that's SOP around the league to stop Beckham.  BTW, on the pass Beckham threw- I thought they easily could have called PI.  

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First... anyone throwing a punch at a helmeted player is stupid.... because... you know... helmet...

But for a skill position player, especially Receivers and QBs, to do so is double-stupid... at a minimum.

Um, like you could break your hand?   

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Apparently Humphrey was told by Harbaugh "to get physical" with OBJ.  Also apparently that's SOP around the league to stop Beckham.  BTW, on the pass Beckham threw- I thought they easily could have called PI.  

Um, like you could break your hand?   

I thought perhaps that Freddie would challenge that now that PI penalties can be challenged.

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I thought perhaps that Freddie would challenge that now that PI penalties can be challenged.

Ratley was wearing a Raven.  It could have been called.  But The PI reviews haven’t been overturned that often  and I don’t think they give PI serious consideration in jump ball scenarios. This was almost like a one on one Hail Mary scenario  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pavo Joe said:

Punches are thrown quite often in games. Can't say I see the two hands to the throat takedown very often though.

You're right but my point is anytime a punch is thrown it's supposed to be automatic ejection.  So if they go back and look at it they very well may say OBJ threw a punch and should have been ejected but wasn't so we need to suspend him for a game. 

Also I would be willing to bet that plenty of times players are choking the ball carrier at the bottom of piles a lot more often than one would think.  As tour astutely pointed out look at the Robert Reynolds choke that actually kept sorgi out of games afterwards. He thought he had enough cover from a pile to do so.  Im not excusing Humphrey's behavior at all I'm just not going to say "oh my God the audacity of Humphreys" knowing it goes on in piles at football games of every level from high school up. Honestly eye gouging in piles is a big reason visors have become such a commonplace.  It sure as hell isn't for glare because it can't be tinted enough to block out light (ask obj).

46 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

You're right but my point is anytime a punch is thrown it's supposed to be automatic ejection.  So if they go back and look at it they very well may say OBJ threw a punch and should have been ejected but wasn't so we need to suspend him for a game. 

Also I would be willing to bet that plenty of times players are choking the ball carrier at the bottom of piles a lot more often than one would think.  As tour astutely pointed out look at the Robert Reynolds choke that actually kept sorgi out of games afterwards. He thought he had enough cover from a pile to do so.  Im not excusing Humphrey's behavior at all I'm just not going to say "oh my God the audacity of Humphreys" knowing it goes on in piles at football games of every level from high school up. Honestly eye gouging in piles is a big reason visors have become such a commonplace.  It sure as hell isn't for glare because it can't be tinted enough to block out light (ask obj).

The major reason for those visors is to avoid getting poked in the eye.  As one of the all time dirtiest players from yesteryear Conrad Dobler said when asked if he ever bit someone. "Sure, if they're dumb enough to stick their hand inside may helmet."   

The only penalty I really had a problem with was the illegal blindside block on Ratley.  It was obvious that Ratley went out of his way NOT to completely obliterate the defender, which he could have done very easily.  It was a cheap call and completely unnecessary.  The spirit of the rule was to avoid injury, and to prevent those violent "crack-back" blocks,  Ratley popped the guy a little bit in the shoulder pads, and it should not have been called in my mind.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The only penalty I really had a problem with was the illegal blindside block on Ratley.  It was obvious that Ratley went out of his way NOT to completely obliterate the defender, which he could have done very easily.  It was a cheap call and completely unnecessary.  The spirit of the rule was to avoid injury, and to prevent those violent "crack-back" blocks,  Ratley popped the guy a little bit in the shoulder pads, and it should not have been called in my mind.  

Yeah I tossed the remote on that one.

it was such a lousy half @ss block too.  He went out of his way to make it look legal.  This is twice this year we’ve been hit with that one.  Coaches need to step up at this point.

We were taught back in the day to yell out the backers name he’d hopefully turn and you would deliver a nice clean legal shot and clear the edge for the RB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

The major reason for those visors is to avoid getting poked in the eye.  As one of the all time dirtiest players from yesteryear Conrad Dobler said when asked if he ever bit someone. "Sure, if they're dumb enough to stick their hand inside may helmet."   

Hands? Hell... Conrad used to bite legs. In one pile he even mistakenly bit a teammate's leg. Story went that the player screamed, "Goddammit, Dobler.... that's me!"

And every QB knew, one way or the other, that if Big Daddy Lipscomb ever extended a hand to help you up after knocking you down, you did not take it... He'd try to crush your hand

20 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

I'm not sure anyone disagrees with you, I don't anyway. That argument doesn't really hold a ton of water though when you think about it. People steal from Walmart every day, but that doesn't mean the police shouldn't get involved if someone robs the place at gun point. Trust me, I've been in scraps on the field where spit and eye pokes weren't out of the question. I get it's part of the game

But for Marlon to choke (read: strangle) an opponent in plain view is the equivalent of my example of a robbing a store at gun point. It went egregiously above the scrappy nature of football (of which I'd include blows being thrown). FWIW, I'd be saying the same thing if the situation was reversed. 

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

I'm not sure anyone disagrees with you, I don't anyway. That argument doesn't really hold a ton of water though when you think about it. People steal from Walmart every day, but that doesn't mean the police shouldn't get involved if someone robs the place at gun point. Trust me, I've been in scraps on the field where spit and eye pokes weren't out of the question. I get it's part of the game

But for Marlon to choke (read: strangle) an opponent in plain view is the equivalent of my example of a robbing a store at gun point. It went egregiously above the scrappy nature of football (of which I'd include blows being thrown). FWIW, I'd be saying the same thing if the situation was reversed. 

Again I am not defending Marlon I am saying that I would rather them not even look at the situation again so that they don't suspend OBJ for the game in San Francisco. To me the visibility of it doesn't make the act anymore egregious than if it happened in a pile.  In both instances a player is trying to choke another.   

As tour said above both should have been ejected, but neither were. For that reason im not gonna get on my soapbox and say Humphrey needs to be suspended because he should have been ejected. If they retroactively punish one of them for the officials not electing to eject him they would need to do it to both of them. If you think both should be suspended then that's fine I don't think either should be suspended. I don't think you can call for a suspension to one and not the other though. 

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

But for Marlon to choke (read: strangle) an opponent in plain view 

Upon further review of closeup footage Marlon was not choking (read: strangling) OBJ like I originally thought.  His hands were on OBJ chest plate the entire time.  His right hand did slide off his chest plate when they first went down to the ground but he grabbed it right back.  He was pushing his chest plate up towards his head but he didn't have his hands directly on his throat/neck like I thought. 

16 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Upon further review of closeup footage Marlon was not choking (read: strangling) OBJ like I originally thought.  His hands were on OBJ chest plate the entire time.  His right hand did slide off his chest plate when they first went down to the ground but he grabbed it right back.  He was pushing his chest plate up towards his head but he didn't have his hands directly on his throat/neck like I thought. 

I mean, nah man. He grabbed his jersey first sure, but then his hands went right to this throat for an extended period of time. Maybe it wasn't Homer Simpson strangling Bart level of hands on neck, but just because a jersey was between his hands and neck doesn't mean he wasn't  attempting to choke the dude.  Your head doesn't tilt back the way OBJ's did if he's on his chest plate. Marlon essentially admitted what he did and apologized.

It's honestly pathetic journalism from the Ravens, and this isn't a "hurr Ravens suck durr" type of thing. That article reads like someone trying to explain how their business isn't a pyramid scheme. If you have to explain why something DIDN'T happen, it just did.

51 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

I mean, nah man. He grabbed his jersey first sure, but then his hands went right to this throat for an extended period of time. Maybe it wasn't Homer Simpson strangling Bart level of hands on neck, but just because a jersey was between his hands and neck doesn't mean he wasn't  attempting to choke the dude.  Your head doesn't tilt back the way OBJ's did if he's on his chest plate. Marlon essentially admitted what he did and apologized.

It's honestly pathetic journalism from the Ravens, and this isn't a "hurr Ravens suck durr" type of thing. That article reads like someone trying to explain how their business isn't a pyramid scheme. If you have to explain why something DIDN'T happen, it just did.

I don't know what you are referring to about there journalism by ravens I was just referring to the closeup video I watched on a tweet by browns access. If you push someone's chest plate on their shoulder pads up towards the head your head will certainly tilt back like that.  Anyhow we can agree to disagree. the league has reviewed it and moved on with no further discipline so I will move on with no further discussion. 

• Upvote 1