THE BROWNS BOARD

Panic mode

lodilobo

That's where I'm at....full blown panic mode. Our team has been over hyped since last season. After watching that huge implosion yesterday, I can only speculate why this looks so bad. I didn't think we had excessive penalties in preseason. I put most of the blame on Freddie Kitchens. When a team of very good players looks like that, the HC is responsible. I really wanted Greg Williams to be retained as the new HC for this season. Freddie seems like a good guy, with a lot of potential, but to see the players respond this way...well, I have my doubts about him as a good head coach. I know it's only one game, but it was disgusting. Dorsey needs to find a quality LT and put together an o line. If not, Mayfield will never make it to the bye week.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

That's where I'm at....full blown panic mode. Our team has been over hyped since last season. After watching that huge implosion yesterday, I can only speculate why this looks so bad. I didn't think we had excessive penalties in preseason. I put most of the blame on Freddie Kitchens. When a team of very good players looks like that, the HC is responsible. I really wanted Greg Williams to be retained as the new HC for this season. Freddie seems like a good guy, with a lot of potential, but to see the players respond this way...well, I have my doubts about him as a good head coach. I know it's only one game, but it was disgusting. Dorsey needs to find a quality LT and put together an o line. If not, Mayfield will never make it to the bye week.

sorry, I see that as wrong.Kitchens is the PERFECT coach to be Coach of the Browns. The players fought for a half, it was close - but game time is different - timing is different - and the Teets played like they were po'd at the attention and hype the Browns have been getting. and their defense

As far as "over-hyped"...sure...that is what the media does. But the changes to the Browns and their success the last third of last season does deserve some serious attention.

The Kardiac Kids, 1980, lost the first two games of their season. They ended up 11-6. Even week 12, they got hammered by the bungles.

The Browns lost their composure - the defense was being held like crazy, and the offense was being overrun. And don't anybody tell me there weren't non-calls and calls that benefitted the teets. The OPI on OBJ was a huge example. Their oline got away with a lot of crap that should have been called. Not so much on the Browns offensive line. I'm just sayin what I'm seein. Our LT Robinson got shoved down well after the play was over, NO CALL. The teet that shoved him seemed to be going after him again, and Robinson got po'd and put his foot up to his head to stop him, still on the ground, immediate call of UC and ejection of Robinson.

There are different examples the Browns suffer this crap. I believe some other teams see it, and bait the Browns, some of the Browns don't handle it well.

That will change.

Anyways...in 1980, the Browns went 11-6, but lost their first two games. And their first game they got hammered by the Patriots.

It's a long season. We'll see how it goes, but judging by the first game is just not valid. I'm concerned about the oline, but still, the Browns didn't have one of the best olines back then either. They will adapt.

1 September 7, 1980 at New England Patriots L 34–17
0–1
2 September 15, 1980 Houston Oilers L 16–7
0–2
3 September 21, 1980 Kansas City Chiefs W 20–13
1–2
4 September 28, 1980 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 34–27
2–2
5 October 5, 1980 Denver Broncos L 19–16
2–3
6 October 12, 1980 at Seattle Seahawks W 27–3
3–3
7 October 19, 1980 Green Bay Packers W 26–21
4–3
8 October 26, 1980 Pittsburgh Steelers W 27–26
5–3
9 November 3, 1980 Chicago Bears W 27–21
6–3
10 November 9, 1980 at Baltimore Colts W 28–27
7–3
11 November 16, 1980 at Pittsburgh Steelers L 16–13
7–4
12 November 23, 1980 Cincinnati Bengals W 31–7
8–4
13 November 30, 1980 at Houston Oilers W 17–14
9–4
14 December 7, 1980 New York Jets W 17–14
10–4
15 December 14, 1980 at Minnesota Vikings L 28–23
10–5
16 December 21, 1980 at Cincinnati Bengals W 27–24
11–5
  • Upvote 1

Aside from Hubbard missing a block and committing a hold- what exactly do you expect out of an offensive line.  

baker held the ball too long on most occasions.

in other occasions it was 2 and long all day and the defense was teeing off and he still had time.

what does sending a 1st and 3rd to Washington for a 31 year old tackle do to alleviate questionable play calls and Baker holding onto the ball 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Aside from Hubbard missing a block and committing a hold- what exactly do you expect out of an offensive line.  

baker held the ball too long on most occasions.

in other occasions it was 2 and long all day and the defense was teeing off and he still had time.

what does sending a 1st and 3rd to Washington for a 31 year old tackle do to alleviate questionable play calls and Baker holding onto the ball 

Dont forget trading for that lineman takes over half of our leftover cap that we need to be saving to resign our younger talents (Garrett Baker Chubb Ward)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Dont forget trading for that lineman takes over half of our leftover cap that we need to be saving to resign our younger talents (Garrett Baker Chubb Ward)

You are right and again it is a complete overreaction.

Get the ball out quicker to all these fancy toys we have and  cut back on 6 personal fouls so we aren’t staring at 2 and 20.  And let Chubb run he was a respectable 17 for 75 yesterday behind and awful line lol.  

First... our OL is not "awful" when it comes to run blocking. They are much better at firing out than they are retreating in PassPro. But otherwise... yes... more run to set up more PAP all of which means more snaps under Center.

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First... our OL is not "awful" when it comes to run blocking. They are much better at firing out than they are retreating in PassPro. But otherwise... yes... more run to set up more PAP all of which means more snaps under Center.

“Awful” lol sarcasm.  17 for 75 is a product of their blocking and that’s a good front they went against. 

The casual fan just believes that a line should protect 5,6,7,8 seconds however long it takes to get a pass off.  It doesn’t work that way even with 5 Pro Bowers in front of you.  Baker had all day -all the time in the world - more than most QBs get.    

We were not disciplined we had a choppy game plan due in part to 2 and 25s and Tenn had a solid plan on offense.  It came down to Mariota just staying with himself not doing too much and Baker feeling he had to do everything.  Which should have been flipped given the personnel.  

This team is fine IMO.  The Jets are going to get run over and then boat raced especially if Mosley can’t go  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

panic mode? We’re Browns fans. Relax..

That's right besides we ARE THE TOUGHEST FANS IN PRO SPORTS.....and this team wasn't really overhyped last year they had a good finish and ADDED considerable talent.

Only 1 down and 15 to go.....now exhale.   ;)

3 hours ago, Ous said:

Discipline is not overrated.

1. When has discipline ever not reflected the coach?
  2. And when has an undisciplined team ever turned into a disciplined one with the same coach?

1. Never...

2. The Giants under Tom Coughlin... went from just over 100 penalties his first year to 140+ before returning to ~100 and then dropping below 80...

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

You are right and again it is a complete overreaction.

Get the ball out quicker to all these fancy toys we have and  cut back on 6 personal fouls so we aren’t staring at 2 and 20.  And let Chubb run he was a respectable 17 for 75 yesterday behind and awful line lol.  

^^^ this.  :)  

Panic mode starts at 0-4.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

^^^ this.  :)  

Panic mode starts at 0-4.  

Serious question:

If the Browns lose next Monday night and are sitting at 0-2, with the Rams coming into town next, could panic mode start then? 

It will be ugly if they lose vs the Jets.

The Jets with Gregg Williams leading their defense. Think he'll be somewhat motivated? 😲

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Serious question:

If the Browns lose next Monday night and are sitting at 0-2, with the Rams coming into town next, could panic mode start then? 

It will be ugly if they lose vs the Jets.

The Jets with Gregg Williams leading their defense. Think he'll be somewhat motivated? 😲

OTOH, think the Browns won't be motivated after laying that humongous egg in the opener? I pointed out earlier- it wasn't play that killed the Browns, it was a historic amount of penalty yardage. 

8 hours ago, Alkid3 said:

😂😂😂 some of you guys are more dramatic than soccer players. Panic mode? No wait FULL BLOWN PANIC MODE. Hahaha. Game 1. If you fell for that hype that's on you. 

This wasn't just a loss. This was the first impression of the 2019 Cleveland Browns. You know...the new media darlings with all the talent in the world. The new coach, promoted from rb coach, skipping over several steps to become the new HC of the new, improved, playoffs bound Browns. The changing of the losing culture,..blah, blah, blah. We played better with much less talent last season. I don't blame the offense that much. Mayfield was bringing the team back until the 75 yard TD by the Titans. That was the final nail in the coffin. Where was the defense on that play? No where near the action...that's for sure. Buying into the hype of having a winning season for once? Yeah...I'm guilty. Damn I'm gullible!

39 minutes ago, darren15 said:

The Browns O line was back at practice today trying to rectify things

And therein lies the problem of the Browns. It's not like a few commentators didn't understand that if you are still desperately shopping for a RG that late in preseason, then you just might have a major problem. It did not help at all for Robinson to get himself ejected either. 

What we needed in the off-season was the anti-Ghoolie who would have told us how important quality OLs are to have in the NFL. That old saying "lines win football" in plural for a reason.

BTW Houston understood it enough to get get one late in the summer. It paid off despite losing to a record career long FG by NO last night. Now that was one hellofa game. Very worthy of MNF. Here's hoping ours will be this coming week.

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

For all you "no hope left" fans. After all, one game DOES a season make!  

They can call the "Helpline"...

... the number is "BR-549"...

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Very worthy of MNF.

Excepting Romeo's D-call on the next to last play. What was up with that?

25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Excepting Romeo's D-call on the next to last play. What was up with that?

Easy peasy. From the world of physics that would be referred to as Brownian Motion. ( Brownian motion or pedesis (from Ancient Greek: πήδησις /pέːdεːsis/ "leaping") is the random motion of particles suspended in a fluid). So obviously it's fluid on the brain leftover from Cleveland days.🙃🤠

• Like 1

Discipline... or lack there of starts at the top... What I saw last Sunday were a bunch of over hyped boys who have none (Discipline).. That starts with Freddie...  Gregg Williams had some.... This looks ugly boys.. I like Freddie and all.. But if this shit show keeps up.. He'll be another casualty of ignorance..

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, calfoxwc said:

sorry, I see that as wrong.Kitchens is the PERFECT coach to be Coach of the Browns. The players fought for a half, it was close - but game time is different - timing is different - and the Teets played like they were po'd at the attention and hype the Browns have been getting. and their defense

As far as "over-hyped"...sure...that is what the media does. But the changes to the Browns and their success the last third of last season does deserve some serious attention.

The Kardiac Kids, 1980, lost the first two games of their season. They ended up 11-6. Even week 12, they got hammered by the bungles.

The Browns lost their composure - the defense was being held like crazy, and the offense was being overrun. And don't anybody tell me there weren't non-calls and calls that benefitted the teets. The OPI on OBJ was a huge example. Their oline got away with a lot of crap that should have been called. Not so much on the Browns offensive line. I'm just sayin what I'm seein. Our LT Robinson got shoved down well after the play was over, NO CALL. The teet that shoved him seemed to be going after him again, and Robinson got po'd and put his foot up to his head to stop him, still on the ground, immediate call of UC and ejection of Robinson.

There are different examples the Browns suffer this crap. I believe some other teams see it, and bait the Browns, some of the Browns don't handle it well.

That will change.

Anyways...in 1980, the Browns went 11-6, but lost their first two games. And their first game they got hammered by the Patriots.

It's a long season. We'll see how it goes, but judging by the first game is just not valid. I'm concerned about the oline, but still, the Browns didn't have one of the best olines back then either. They will adapt.

1 September 7, 1980 at New England Patriots L 34–17
0–1
2 September 15, 1980 Houston Oilers L 16–7
0–2
3 September 21, 1980 Kansas City Chiefs W 20–13
1–2
4 September 28, 1980 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers W 34–27
2–2
5 October 5, 1980 Denver Broncos L 19–16
2–3
6 October 12, 1980 at Seattle Seahawks W 27–3
3–3
7 October 19, 1980 Green Bay Packers W 26–21
4–3
8 October 26, 1980 Pittsburgh Steelers W 27–26
5–3
9 November 3, 1980 Chicago Bears W 27–21
6–3
10 November 9, 1980 at Baltimore Colts W 28–27
7–3
11 November 16, 1980 at Pittsburgh Steelers L 16–13
7–4
12 November 23, 1980 Cincinnati Bengals W 31–7
8–4
13 November 30, 1980 at Houston Oilers W 17–14
9–4
14 December 7, 1980 New York Jets W 17–14
10–4
15 December 14, 1980 at Minnesota Vikings L 28–23
10–5
16 December 21, 1980 at Cincinnati Bengals W 27–24
11–5

i remember that vikings game...i think we lost that one on a hail mary from kramer to rashad....and then we were down 14 zip to the bengals the last game of the season before we came back....i recall ricky feature having a big game and cockfroft kicked the winning fg...