THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 2 - BROWNS 2.5 point early favorite at the NY Jets week 2 & a brief history of MNF!

mjp28

WEEK 2 - BROWNS 2.5 point early favorite at the NY Jets week 2 O/U about 46 on MNF

Check it out on the bottom of the page on MNF.  http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

Screenshot_2019-09-08_223745.jpg

That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

That's absolutely crazy. We looked cataclysmic today in virtually every aspect of the game, and while it's only one game, what makes people think we're actually a decent team? Penalties don't just go away, and we're in total deep shit right now. I can't imagine we'd be favored on the road, but hey, you never know. Jets game can't get here soon enough. 

Probably helps that the Jets lost to Buffalo...

At 46 that O/U looks like a lock.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Probably helps that the Jets lost to Buffalo...

At 46 that O/U looks like a lock.

At 46 a lock which way?

And I have a feeling that the stars will shine on MNF!  The BROWNS have some stars.

Monday's lines, the first line is the opening line, second is the vi consensus, the following lines are various Vegas books.  http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas

A few books have the BROWNS at -3 and the O/U is drifting toward 45.......FWIW

Screenshot_2019-09-09_204554.jpg

I remember the ABC MNF beginning well it was my second year in college and became a national event.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Monday_Night_Football#Cosell,_Jackson,_and_Meredith

......An early bid by the league in 1964 to play on Friday nights was soundly defeated, with critics charging that such telecasts would damage the attendance at high school football games. Undaunted, Rozelle decided to experiment with the concept of playing on Monday night, scheduling the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions for a game on September 28, 1964. While the game was not televised, it drew a sellout crowd of 59,203 spectators to Tiger Stadium, the largest crowd ever to watch a professional football game in Detroit up to that point.

Two years later, Rozelle would build on this success as the NFL began a four-year experiment of playing on Monday night, scheduling one game in prime time on CBS during the 1966 and 1967 seasons, and two contests during each of the next two years. NBC followed suit in 1968 and 1969 with games involving American Football League teams.

Monday Night Football first aired on ABC on September 21, 1970, with a game between the New York Jets and the Browns in Cleveland. Advertisers were charged US$65,000 per minute by ABC during the clash, a cost that proved to be a bargain when the contest collected 33% of the viewing audience. The Browns defeated the Jets, 31-21 in a game which featured a 94-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by the Browns' Homer Jones and was punctuated when Billy Andrews intercepted Joe Namath late in the fourth quarter and returned it 25 yards for the clinching touchdown. However, Cleveland viewers saw different programming on WEWS-TV, because of the NFL's blackout rules of the time (this would apply for all games through the end of the 1972 season; beginning in 1973, home games could be televised if tickets were sold out 72 hours before kickoff)........... continued........

How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

It was quite a time in football and American history.

Screenshot_2019-09-10_072128.jpg

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I think the worry on this game is that GW is going to do what he can to make the Browns lose their composure early and often. He knows the team and what buttons to push. 

Maybe he'll send in a 3rd string sacrificial lamb to play dirty on Garrett or Robinson to see if he can get them to do something stupid.

5 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I think the worry on this game is that GW is going to do what he can to make the Browns lose their composure early and often. He knows the team and what buttons to push. 

And Gregg's worry is that CJ got dinged Week 1...

On 9/8/2019 at 10:54 PM, jiggins7919 said:

jets suck too, by 2.5 points....thats why....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

How many of you remember the very first ABC MNF game verses the Namath led Super Bowl champion NEW YORK JETS and our CLEVELAND BROWNS?

Namath was starting to show his years and the battered up knees but still hung around for awhile and the BROWNS fans packed the Old Muni with upwards of 80,000 fans and were still considered contenders and a top 5 NFL team.

leroy kelly baby....the good ol days....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

One of the many historic Browns games I can say I was in the stands for.....  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, browns52 said:

The Jets remind me very much of the Titans, but likely a poor man's version. They're going to ugly the game up, create turnovers, and keep it close. Both teams are literally in a must win situation to save their seasons, and our schedule doesn't get much easier. 

Now, I'm NOT going to be the "sky is falling" fan. Nobody likes that guy (believe me, I know), but I will say that we've got huge problems on our OL, and I don't trust our kicker. We're going to have to win a close game, as I don't see a way to score a bunch of points like so many predicted before the season. The penalties won't go away and we know Greg Robinson is targeted by the officials. We legitimately struggle in pass protection, and we had 3 designed deep shots last game with an open OBJ streaking down the field but Baker didn't have time to cut it loose. 

Did anybody see the first half of the Raiders' game? THAT'S how you pass block. Our offense won't move the ball if we can't block, and Hubbard is absolutely killing us. Can we turn it all around? Of course, it's ONE game, but damn it all if it didn't feel like more. We royally shit the sheets at HOME and worst of all, we lost our composure and quit. It's very frustrating when it seems like every penalty is going against you, and the Titans got just about every break, but you can't lose it like that. It's unacceptable and they should have apologized to the fans. 

Obviously I'm not giving up on the team or any crap like that, but we have real problems that need to be fixed quickly. In a way, this loss could be the best thing to happen us. It might completely refocus us and show us just how hard we have to work. It's going to be such a long week, but if we can't figure out how to protect Baker, he's going to get hurt and that's going to be that. 

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I remember watching the game at home.  I was 16.

One week before my 20th birthday, watched it at Tony's Hideaway bar by the YSU campus at the auxillary bar with TV they set up to watch the game.  Great times.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 10:41 PM, mjp28 said:

One week before my 20th birthday, watched it at Tony's Hideaway bar by the YSU campus at the auxillary bar with TV they set up to watch the game.  Great times.

I love hearing about these old memories. My dad and uncle told me they had to drive out of town to get a hotel room for the Browns last championship game because it was blacked out. Crazy! 

I kind of think this game being on a Monday doesn't really do us any favors. You KNOW we're chomping at the bit to get back out there, and this also gives two major Jet players time to get healthy. I don't know if you saw their game, but everything changed when star LB CJ Mosley went out. His injury isn't serious, but his availability is up in the air. I would BET he'll play just knowing him, but if he doesn't, that is a crushing blow to them. 

24 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Sam Darnold is a surprise "out" against us Monday Night with mono. Spread is sure to move our way a bit more. Trevor Siemian is their back-up.

Just in one book I saw has jumped it to CLE -6.5 and dropped the O/U to 42.5.

Screenshot_2019-09-12_112242.jpg

Man, I wouldn't touch this game on a bet with someone else's money. On paper, I can make a solid argument that we should win. I don't see how the Jets are going to sustain enough drives to put enough points on the board, and scoring in the red zone is tough for STARTING QBS, let alone backups. I foresee us holding them to FG's, and also forcing a turnover or two. Maybe a 10-7 lead at the half, and a final game score of something like 23-13.

HOWEVER...the NFL is very strange. Backup QBs blow up ALL time. Home crowds can really help,and believe it or not, the Browns are fighting through just being the Browns. I know that's not very scientific, but let's be real for a moment. 

I'm extremely interested to see how this game shakes out, and when I say interested, I mean terrified. Lol. It's just so funny how you can't predict a single thing, and it would be no big deal for Jets defense to score a touchdown or two. It's what they do. 

But you know what, it's a Monday night game and it's going to be fun. I'm definitely thinking an ugly type game, but I've been wrong before. I don't care how ugly it is as long as we win and Baker survives! Haha

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, browns52 said:

The home team gets close to 3 points (I think it is like 2.7777) and to have us on the road and getting the 3 and now the 3 is doubled? Sounds like  a trap game. I hope I am wrong but sounds like if you take the Jets and get a easy payday. Besides many have said for years that the NFL is fixed by Vegas and the Refs always seem to have a hard on for us.