THE BROWNS BOARD

Prepare for a stinker...

Kvoethe

I personally think that the future of tackle football in America is an issue here along with the dollars and viewership numbers.

From the article....

......That’s crucial, according to NFLPA estimates, because the average NFL career is 3.4 years but would drop to 2.8 years with two more games each season. The minimum required service time for players to receive a pension and long-term health benefits is three years.

“Fans and media discuss what would happen to ratings and revenue or whether [18 games] is a good idea or bad idea. For us, it comes down to who players are as men, and is it good for us,”........  READ IT......

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play.

Not for the playoff teams... ;)

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not for the playoff teams... ;)

Hell... our HS State Champs played 16 last year... 16-0 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.

But they are glad to be there.

40 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Playoff teams that go deep only represent a small number of all of the teams like my YSU Penguins that play a lot of games and it can be tough on the players.

But they are glad to be there.

Pretty sure I knew that, but what I don't know is if those that play the added games suffer a proportional... or greater... increase in injuries.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

We're not even going to  name  him. Let's just say it's a  lot more  peaceful  around here now that we don't have to  put up with his BS. Hint- has been  kicked off  of every  football  Board  he's ever posted on. 

Tracking....

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Pretty sure I knew that, but what I don't know is if those that play the added games suffer a proportional... or greater... increase in injuries.

Hard to say 100% for sure but I knew YSU guys that were really hurt and still played some particularly quarterbacks took a beating.

Tressel went to 6 NC games in the 1990s won 4 with YSU, Pelini in year 2 went to the NC game and as underdogs lost.

I wonder what's causing my hesitation about this game tomorrow. I already predicted a Browns win of something like 27-17, but I keep having these niggling doubts creeping in my mind, and I wonder if it's because of our history, or if it's because Tennessee really is that good. I mean, they had a winning record 3 straight years. They're very good against the pass. They like to run the ball, and we were not great at stopping it last year. 

I keep thinking, can ANYONE live up to the impossible hype surrounding our team? Maybe it's because I can JUST see the headlines if we lose. "Browns hype train derails as they historically lose another opener after game-winning kick goes awry." The pressure for this team to come out and win is enormous, and I don't know if if you've seen who we play the first 8 games, but it's serious. 

But you know what? Win or lose, I still think we have the goods for a fun season. We need some luck on the injury bug front, but we can't control that. Browns fans have a unique relationship with opening day, and by unique I mean, "Holy shit I hate football." People who say things like, "This year is different. These players don't have anything to do with those other teams" are crazy and misinformed. If you don't believe our team has to overcome history, then you're bananas. We very much DO, and it's a real and tangible adversary. 

Take last year's tie for example. How MANY times did we have to win that game? Schobert could've taken that pic to the house and ended it. Genard Avery (I THINK) didn't turn around and make one block as he prematurely celebrated the touchdown that never happened. THEN, our best player Myles Garrett inexplicably drills a Steeler in the back directly in front of an official, so we lose more yards. THEN, our FG attempt gets blocked and we freaking TIE a game where we forced 37 turnovers. 

What's this have to do with tomorrow? Nothing? Everything? Well, the Ghost of Dwayne Rudd will be there, and our team better be ready for the impending collection "WTF Plays" that seem to occur on game 1 of the Browns' schedule. I've got the Sunday Ticket ordered, the wings marinating for grilling, and the beer chilled to the bone. Can't wait, no matter what happens!. *WOOF WOOF*

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Longview? You know their senior QB committed to A&M mid-July?

Maybe.... and "yes"... ;)

The kid's a stick, but he's tall and the HC's son and can read a D. He's in ESPN's Top 100... he's #80-something.

Too bad TAMU doesn't have him today. :(

BTW... the Lobos made last week's ESPN HS game-of-the-week broadcast and narrowly beat Lufkin 24-21. They're now 2-0 after trouncing Marshall 53-0 this past Friday.

http://www.lobosfootball.com/lobos_varsity_schedule.html

22 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't understand how the owners can say they are doing everything they can in the name of player safety and then try to push a 18 game schedule - FIVE OR SIX GAMES more than college football teams play. 

I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this. 

$$&$

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's very hard to predict the first game of the season. In my FFL I have Rivers at home against the "Luck"less  Colts or Brees at home against Houston's D. Which one would you play this week?

I would have to play Brees...too many weapons to ignore.

Mike

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Agree... plus very quietly the Colts have assembled quite a D at all three levels while the Texans are now Clowney-less up front and are suspect in the 2ndary.

9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I wonder what's causing my hesitation about this game tomorrow. I already predicted a Browns win of something like 27-17, but I keep having these niggling doubts creeping in my mind, and I wonder if it's because of our history, or if it's because Tennessee really is that good. I mean, they had a winning record 3 straight years. They're very good against the pass. They like to run the ball, and we were not great at stopping it last year. 

I keep thinking, can ANYONE live up to the impossible hype surrounding our team? Maybe it's because I can JUST see the headlines if we lose. "Browns hype train derails as they historically lose another opener after game-winning kick goes awry." The pressure for this team to come out and win is enormous, and I don't know if if you've seen who we play the first 8 games, but it's serious. 

But you know what? Win or lose, I still think we have the goods for a fun season. We need some luck on the injury bug front, but we can't control that. Browns fans have a unique relationship with opening day, and by unique I mean, "Holy shit I hate football." People who say things like, "This year is different. These players don't have anything to do with those other teams" are crazy and misinformed. If you don't believe our team has to overcome history, then you're bananas. We very much DO, and it's a real and tangible adversary. 

Take last year's tie for example. How MANY times did we have to win that game? Schobert could've taken that pic to the house and ended it. Genard Avery (I THINK) didn't turn around and make one block as he prematurely celebrated the touchdown that never happened. THEN, our best player Myles Garrett inexplicably drills a Steeler in the back directly in front of an official, so we lose more yards. THEN, our FG attempt gets blocked and we freaking TIE a game where we forced 37 turnovers. 

What's this have to do with tomorrow? Nothing? Everything? Well, the Ghost of Dwayne Rudd will be there, and our team better be ready for the impending collection "WTF Plays" that seem to occur on game 1 of the Browns' schedule. I've got the Sunday Ticket ordered, the wings marinating for grilling, and the beer chilled to the bone. Can't wait, no matter what happens!. *WOOF WOOF*

Solution? Party so much at the Tailgate, you won't much care.... Actually I will. It's different this year. We don't just HOPE to win, we EXPECT to win. If we don't, it's not going to be pretty down by the Lake.  

BTW, If Goodell has a bone left in his spine, he'll block AB going to the Patriots. The whole thing reeks of a fix. How could you have this move arranged almost instantly after being cut?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree... plus very quietly the Colts have assembled quite a D at all three levels while the Texans are now Clowney-less up front and are suspect in the 2ndary.

My only reservation is that Rivers got his redzone target back from missing all last season, TE Hunter Henry. I have him on my team so maybe the ideal is to play him as TE and Brees as the QB. Since Ingram is no longer there Brees may have to throw more to give Kamara some rest.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:24 PM, Tour2ma said:

Agree... as I wrote in 'cube's "And so it begins..." thread last nite showed that Week 1 is now the preseason... at least for teams whose stars saw precious little PT in the real pre-...

Does make a case for reducing the preseason to two games and expanding the regular to 18 games.

Only problem with reducing preseason to two games is time to evaluate players.  I'm not sure there will be ample time to get a true player evaluation.  Perhaps with three games, but not with two.  The last game with mostly rookies is very important, even though we don't want to see it.  So which game do we through out?  the third game, where most of the starters play the first half?  Still important for the rookies to play the second half though.  Perhaps we could get rid of the 1st or second.  And the arguement could be made that if Chicago and Green Bay had played their starters in weak 3 of preseason, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  

On 9/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'm sorry, more doesn't mean better. I'm with mjp 100% on this. 

How often do changes these days in the NFL actually turn out for the better? The schedule is one of the last things I would fuck with. 

12 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

How often do changes these days in the NFL actually turn out for the better? The schedule is one of the last things I would fuck with. 

I hate to admit it but if anyone is really concerned about concussions and other debilitating injuries going from a 16 to a 14 or even 12 game season would make more sense.

But I don't think that will happen any time soon.

• Upvote 1