THE BROWNS BOARD

The Corvette That Never Was

TexasAg1969

This coming year Corvette is finally putting a mid-engine Corvette on sale for the first time ever after decades of it being just a concept car. It made me think of a Corvette way back in the day I had seen as a concept car that just might get produced some day. I kind of wish this one had been produced instead of the new 1963 Stingray. The 1963 Corvette Maco Shark.

bill-mitchells-mako-sharks-the-most-infl

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Most of the people driving corvettes are in their 60s and 70s.  My neighbor across the street has a bright red one that he just stands in his garage every weekend and stares at it or something.  I think he might drive it once a year.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Here is a "lovelier" picture. Love that pointy front end don't you? This was the Maco Shark II which seems seems appropriate here.😍

That maco shark styling did go on for years which became the signature look for the Corvettes.

Mid-engine, eh great for the true sports car part but I'll bet 95%+ of buyers get a Corvette to drive on Sundays and look good in the driveway.

Oh I was 26 when I bought my first vette and after a few years decided to drive it anywhere.......loved it!

There it is in Corvette orange, 1975 the year they eliminated the convertibles which they brought back again later.

1975-corvette-1-owner-only-40124-actual-miles-true-survivor-4.jpg

1975-corvette-1-owner-only-40124-actual-miles-true-survivor-3.jpg

1975-corvette-1-owner-only-40124-actual-miles-true-survivor-9.jpg

"Not your daddy's or Granddaddy's Corvette!"

• Stingray is capable of 194 mph top track speed
  • Preorder at Chevrolet.com or by visiting a preferred Chevrolet dealer

file

2020 MID-ENGINE CHEVROLET CORVETTE STINGRAY STARTS AT $59,995

2019-08-15

Print Print | Send Email | Download Word Document Word | Share Add This |
  • Stingray is capable of 194 mph top track speed
  • Preorder at Chevrolet.com or by visiting a preferred Chevrolet dealer

DETROIT — With its new mid-engine configuration and sleek, modern design, the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray offers unprecedented performance at a starting price of $59,995 (including Destination Freight Charge of $1,095, excluding tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment).

“Most people thought when we moved the Corvette to mid-engine it would no longer be attainable, but we knew we couldn’t mess with a winning formula and the 2020 Stingray proves it,” said Brian Sweeney, Chevrolet U.S. vice president.

The 1LT will start at $59,995, the 2LT trim package will start at $67,295 and the top-level 3LT trim package on the 2020 Corvette Stingray will start at $71,945 (including DFC, excluding tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment). Specific details on each trim level are covered in the attached graphic.

“We’ve packed a lot of performance into the Corvette Stingray at this price when you consider an eight-speed dual clutch transmission, Small Block V-8 and engine-mounted dry sump oil system are all standard,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette executive chief engineer.

Interested Chevrolet Corvette Stingray shoppers can view a pricing guide with available options and order codes and preorder their vehicle by visiting the 2020 Corvette reveal page at Chevrolet.com.

A dedicated Chevrolet Corvette Concierge team will provide 2020 Corvette customers with answers about the vehicle discovery, buying and ownership process. The team, which is based at General Motors headquarters in Detroit, can be reached by calling 866-424-3892. Customers can also live chat with a Corvette Concierge online by visiting Chevrolet.com. The team is available from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT Mondays through Fridays.

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray goes into production at GM’s Bowling Green Assembly in late 2019

764A3086-1-640x354.jpg

2020-corvette-reveal-design-11.jpg

2020-corvette-reveal-technology-01.jpg

2020-corvette-reveal-design-01.jpg

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Doesn't look like a Vette.

It's not it's an F1 car. The C8 is the most radical change ever for the Corvettes more than the 1963 split window, the 1968 mako style or other changes.

The sports car true enthusiasts are loving the move wanted it for years.

Oh not a home garage mechanics car at all! I used to work on my 1975 all the time when it needed it.

Well the price is close, Alpha has the turbo 4 cylinder but way less HP I like the Vette styling better........plus I'm a goddam 'Merican!

Screenshot_2019-08-25_164946.jpg

Or buy his and her Mazda Miatas for the same money.👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Of course I will never get her out of her Subaru Outback.

She loves that damn thing. And when I take it dove hunting on a 600+ acre ranch net month, I have to admit that high clearance and full time AWD will be appreciated.

I'm more likely to get the Subaru Crosstrek next time around. We love to go to Colorado high country and when my daughter borrowed it for skiing this winter she reported it could go anywhere she wanted to in very deep snow. Crosstrek has that same high clearance/AWD. In fact it can even use just 3 wheels if you get one tire lifted off the ground driving through huge pothole type terrain.

The Mazda Miata is a cute little fairly affordable car but not in the mid engine class.

BTW where do you drive a vehicle that has a 194 mph track speed?  Does it have a 200 mph speedometer?    :huh:

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The Mazda Miata is a cute little fairly affordable car but not in the mid engine class.

BTW where do you drive a vehicle that has a 194 mph track speed?  Does it have a 200 mph speedometer?    :huh:

On toll road 130 east of Austin where the current speed limit is 85 and they stop you at 90. Go at 2 am and there is nobody out there but you because it's cheaper and faster to go through Austin at that time of night (unless of course you are trying for that 194 mph). The road is built somewhat like the autobahns so it won't just buck you off like most roads in the US at that speed.

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Don't care for Subarus.  Boxer engine is crap.

But they last forever if you stay completely on top of required maintenance and don't go cheap with inferior synthetic oil blends. Plus it helps to be married to a little old lady that drives that way. LOL!🤶😻

Oh I read where the 2022 Vette will have an optional 800 hp engine.......800 horses, yeah I need that!

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I read where the 2022 Vette will have an optional 800 hp engine.......800 horses, yeah I need that!

Then they need to adapt that engine to this old GM concept car. Would you believe the original 1956 Golden Rocket Olds?

Oldsmobile_Golden_Rocket-1024x673.jpg

BTW would you also believe that is a fiberglass body? Marry that light weight to 800 horses you need a gantry to launch it.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Most of the people driving corvettes are in their 60s and 70s.  My neighbor across the street has a bright red one that he just stands in his garage every weekend and stares at it or something.  I think he might drive it once a year.

That is too funny, Guy that lives right up from me has 2  corvettes 1 is a stingray the other is kinda newer but never drives either of them, when he leaves the house he drives a 2002 Ford F150 that has seen better days, Once in a great while me mite pull them out of the garage but never leaves the drive way. I am not saying he should drive them everyday but why have it if you just want it to sit? Let alone 2 of them? Go out, have fun, geesh. 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And not to be outdone, Ford came up with the Nuleon in 1957.  Is this nulcear powered thing butt ugly or what? Or maybe they were just making fun of the 57 Chevy "rudders". LOL!😂

nucleon-1024x427.jpg

Was this just a concept car? I don't ever recall this car ever? 

3 hours ago, medicineman said:

Was this just a concept car? I don't ever recall this car ever? 

Totally a concept car and it really did not have a nuclear engine in it. They were anticipating miniaturization years down the road that might allow one. It was one of a kind.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Totally a concept car and it really did not have a nuclear engine in it. They were anticipating miniaturization years down the road that might allow one. It was one of a kind.

The  'Merican car companies don't have the cash anymore to do concept cars, too bad.  Now it's electric and that kind of stuff.

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

All I know is that I cannot recall a corvette being in any famous movie chase scene.

Here, a lot of Mustangs, no vettes

I don't think you will ever see a fiberglass car in those kind of scenes.

Still the Chevrolet Corvette is the long running and only true American sports car......now going mid-engine starting at $59,999.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Still the Chevrolet Corvette is the long running and only true American sports car......now going mid-engine starting at $59,999.

The T-Bird was right there.....before Ford fucked with it...then discontued it.   Though, I would say that the Mustang is also basically a sport car...and American.

AA7W_1_201901042067467829.jpg

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The T-Bird was right there.....before Ford fucked with it...then discontued it.   Though, I would say that the Mustang is also basically a sport car...and American.

My first car a 1965 red Mustang 289 4 speed 4 bbl, very nice. I also had a 1969 red Mach 1 351 Windsor real nice and a 1969 Camaro 302 unreal car best I ever owned  -but- I wouldn't put any of them in the 2 seater Chevrolet Corvette class.

My '66 Chevy Belair 4 door, maroon metallic, three on the column 250 six got better gas mileage, and I would never have taken your all's fancy cars to the Canadian Wilderness. lol1966-chevy-impalacaprice-is-currently-fi