THE BROWNS BOARD

Andrew Luck

Gunz41

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

I mean, some Browns fans booed Derek Anderson while he was being carted off the field, so...

Thought that was Tim Couch? Most Browns fans thought Brady Quinn was going to be a NFL Super Star and thought D.A. was standing in his way, Anderson was only a tad bit better than Quinn, We won 10 games thanks to Anderson then he fell flat on his face the very next year. Not lets never bring up his name again 

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

The saddest part of this whole thing is that his own (alleged) fans boo'd him. That's a HUGE black eye for the Colts.

Mike

Definitely shitty and a terrible look for the fans...

... though I'm not so sure we wouldn't have some posters on here doing the same thing...

• Upvote 1

This sucks. It doesn't matter if you are a Colts fan or not, having elite players retiring way earlier than expected doesn't do any good to the NFL. 

Luck was a quaterback who made up for the shitty rosters the Colts had for many years. Not only that, he also was the nicest guy and a Independence War veteran. Plus he has an Architecture degree ;)

Thee Colts and the league will surely miss him. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Nero said:

This sucks. It doesn't matter if you are a Colts fan or not, having elite players retiring way earlier than expected doesn't do any good to the NFL. 

Luck was a quaterback who made up for the shitty rosters the Colts had for many years. Not only that, he also was the nicest guy and a Independence War veteran. Plus he has an Architecture degree ;)

Thee Colts and the league will surely miss him. I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

You could also say that Luck was a victim of those same shitty rosters. They took care of him like I take care of worn out sneakers. I don’t. 

Players leaving well before they have to isn’t some unprecedented thing, but I have no doubt this type of thing will happen more and more.

hell, JT albeit a bit older could have easily come back for several more years but chose against it. It won’t shock me at all to see guys play through their 2nd contract and call it quits around 30. 

33 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Players leaving well before they have to isn’t some unprecedented thing, but I have no doubt this type of thing will happen more and more.

hell, JT albeit a bit older could have easily come back for several more years but chose against it. It won’t shock me at all to see guys play through their 2nd contract and call it quits around 30. 

According to the NFLPA, the average career is 3.3 years.  

Looks like he’ll be a full time caveman for geico now... lol

07BA21D2-A394-4488-9BE5-D44D6E4CA47C.jpeg

I loved the way he played the game, a real throwback.

Don't let Colts fans off the hook because Browns fan booed struggling players and threw shit at refs that just screwed them, this would be like Browns fans booing Bernie Kosar or Joe Thomas when they couldnt play anymore ... it shocks me that they booed.

However, the BIG news is we just lost one of the main contenders to win the AFC, odds just got a little better for all of the contenders... including the young upstarts.

Zombo

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

So do they win a game this season?  Sit the vets, lose every game and pick number one. Sounds like the irsay way. Sneak and cheat

And yet ironically we had Hue who was able to lasso two number 1's in a row by only being completely incompetent. 😱

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

So do they win a game this season?  Sit the vets, lose every game and pick number one. Sounds like the irsay way. Sneak and cheat

You do realize that is exactly what the Browns did, right? 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Exactly!  

The FO there almost deserves this for the number of years they refused to protect the guy upfront.  That all took a cumulative toll on his body.  And you know what?  He never complained about it or lost composure in the pocket or while eluding pressure on the improvise out of the pocket.  In fact, sometimes you could hear him on audio/video telling someone that just clobbered him "GREAT HIT."  

As much as we're Cleveland Browns fans, a lot of us are fans of the game that really appreciate a guy like this.  JJ Watt had a very respectful and understanding perspective on it today on ESPN when they aired comments from players and coaches around the league.  And then they showed fans in the crowd as he walked off the field the last time PROUD to show him they're taking off their #12 jersey in disgust.  

Not for nothing, but social media really sucks sometimes especially when they leak something like this when he had a presser planned for a more appropriate time to air it. 

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Definitely shitty and a terrible look for the fans...

... though I'm not so sure we wouldn't have some posters on here doing the same thing...

I was thinking the same exact thing when I just saw it on ESPN...

In fact, I have a feeling we'd have the same short list of posters on here who would pull the same stunt, Woody. 

• Like 1

Just now, Comeonman said:

I didn’t. Honestly. I thought the coaching was terrible enough and the players weren’t developed enough to actually win games. 

Belichick wasn't winning more than 5 or 6 games total in 2016 and 2017 with those rosters. Practically every veteran on the roster was jettisoned. This was a tank job, pure and simple. Hue simply was a horrible pick to be a head coach of a young team that needed developed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Belichick wasn't winning more than 5 or 6 games total in 2016 and 2017 with those rosters. Practically every veteran on the roster was jettisoned. This was a tank job, pure and simple. Hue simply was a horrible pick to be a head coach of a young team that needed developed. 

In fact, when Belichick actually had a team like you speak of here in 91 - he went 6-10.  He didn't get us to a winning record and the playoffs until his 4th year here.  It doesn't matter how good he is at gridiron chess - he didn't beat people when he could only attack them exclusively with pawns...

The Colts fan base is full of weird folks..With a owner that should not run a Wendy's..  60A5.gif    3o7e.gif3ilv.gif  3lQp.gif    5Mi8.gif    5RBJ.gif         Thanks to most Colts fans, And I will be just fine...   FwQj.gif                  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

You don't need to be a super star to  be set for life anymore- if you're  careful  with  your  money. Just being a  hanger on  nets you a pension after a few years. And the top minimum after 9 years is $900k. Know  my niece's  cousin  was able to  do that playing  special teams and retired  a few years ago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Comeonman said:

I didn’t. Honestly. I thought the coaching was terrible enough and the players weren’t developed enough to actually win games. 

That was a strip down to the studs to acquire draft capital and rebuild.  They were intentionally trying to not win games.  The players weren't the front office was. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Exactly!  

The FO there almost deserves this for the number of years they refused to protect the guy upfront.  That all took a cumulative toll on his body.  And you know what?  He never complained about it or lost composure in the pocket or while eluding pressure on the improvise out of the pocket.  In fact, sometimes you could hear him on audio/video telling someone that just clobbered him "GREAT HIT."  

As much as we're Cleveland Browns fans, a lot of us are fans of the game that really appreciate a guy like this.  JJ Watt had a very respectful and understanding perspective on it today on ESPN when they aired comments from players and coaches around the league.  And then they showed fans in the crowd as he walked off the field the last time PROUD to show him they're taking off their #12 jersey in disgust.  

Not for nothing, but social media really sucks sometimes especially when they leak something like this when he had a presser planned for a more appropriate time to air it. 

Given that I believe that our OL is now our #1 weakness on the Browns....let's hope our QB doesn't suffer a similar fated.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

The Colts fan base is full of weird folks..With a owner that should not run a Wendy's..  60A5.gif    3o7e.gif3ilv.gif  3lQp.gif    5Mi8.gif    5RBJ.gif         Thanks to most Colts fans, And I will be just fine...   FwQj.gif                  

Indy never should have had a team.   The Colts should still be in Baltimore.....that was all on the Irsay family.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

According to the NFLPA, the average career is 3.3 years.  

Looks like he’ll be a full time caveman for geico now... lol

BINGO, we have a winner!

The NFL is truly a brutal business that's why they are going overboard to try to protect the quarterbacks and wide receivers. For every player who makes 10, 15 or even 20 years there are many who get hurt in training camp or year 1 or 2 in the game.

Good luck Luck in your new career behind a microphone or maybe just fishing.

• Like 1

Good for Luck, sure it was a easy decision given his injuries and the NFL's pressure to just Play. Any person who can truly understand the toll the NFL takes on your body, mentally and physically. And has the guts to decide that getting out now is probably the best for him and his health in the long term deserves respect.Sucks to see him go but like I said, your health and sanity out weighs your misery down the road.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

You don't need to be a super star to  be set for life anymore- if you're  careful  with  your  money. Just being a  hanger on  nets you a pension after a few years. And the top minimum after 9 years is $900k. Know  my niece's  cousin  was able to  do that playing  special teams and retired  a few years ago.

True. If you have a brain cell left in your head and are wise with your money it's like hitting the lottery if you can make a team at any position. And signing bonuses vary but can make some players an instant millionaire.  From one of my favorite sources spotrac:

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $495,000 for a rookie in 2019. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

Yrs. 2017 2018 2019 2020
0 $465,000 $480,000 $495,000 $510,000
1 $540,000 $555,000 $570,000 $585,000
2 $615,000 $630,000 $645,000 $660,000
3 $690,000 $705,000 $720,000 $735,000
4-6 $775,000 $790,000 $805,000 $820,000
7-9 $900,000 $915,000 $930,000 $945,000
10+ $1,000,000 $1,015,000 $1,030,000 $1,045,000

VETERAN MINIMUM BENEFITS

When qualified, a player with four (4) or more years of NFL experience can earn his total minimum salary, but have a cap figure that reflects two years of experience – or in 2019, $645,000. The contract must be for only one year, and must not contain combined bonus money (signing, roster, workout) that exceeds $90,000.

FRANCHISE & TRANSITION TAGS

Franchise Tags
Quarterback $24.865M
Running back $11.214M
Wide receiver $16.787M
Tight end $10.387M
Offensive linemen $14.067M
Defensive end $17.128M
Defensive tackle $15.209M
Linebacker $15.443M
Cornerback $16.022M
Safety $11.15M