THE BROWNS BOARD

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch

The Gipper

All I heard over the national sports shows today, radio and TV is about the interviews that both  Baker Mayfield gave to GQ and OBJ gave to Sports Illustrated.

And all these media types did was bitch, bitch, bitch about how our guys handled these interviews.

Baker said it blew him away that the Giants took  Daniel Jones at #6 in the draft.  The media today got on him about supposedly "getting in another player's business".   Of course, all Baker said was what EVERY single member of the national media,  every Giants fan, and every NFL fan said about the drafting of Daniel Jones at #6.   But it is a crime when Baker...or any other NFL player says things in an interview, which comment was prompted by the interviewer (which probably took place in April or May just after the draft) says what every other person in America is saying.

And the same for OBJ.  Again, that interview probably took place months ago, not long after the trade occurred. OBJ felt it was personal...and that he thought the Giants were trying to send him to an NFL hell by dealing him to the Browns...who have no doubt been a shit show for a long time.   (and OBJ says the joke is on the Giants...who NOW are the shit show....because everyone feels the Browns will now be playoff contenders, if not more)

Bottom line:  I guess no NFL player can tell the truth in an interview without getting shit for doing so.

• Like 1

This is why so many players give canned, generic responses. It's really sad and probably frustrating as hell. I bet money Baker calls him to clarify. 

• Like 2

But if another player had said the same thing about Baker a year ago, this board would be in an uproar about "THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO SAID IT WAS RIDICULOUS THAT BAKER GOT DRAFTED #1 OVERALL I HOPE THAT PLAYER BLOWS BOTH ACLs AND GETS NOSE HERPES!" 

Baker is a great example of someone who "keeps it real" but then gets pissed when some people get mad over what he says. The "media got it wrong" play by Baker was textbook too. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

But if another player had said the same thing about Baker a year ago, this board would be in an uproar about "THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO SAID IT WAS RIDICULOUS THAT BAKER GOT DRAFTED #1 OVERALL I HOPE THAT PLAYER BLOWS BOTH ACLs AND GETS NOSE HERPES!" 

Baker is a great example of someone who "keeps it real" but then gets pissed when some people get mad over what he says. The "media got it wrong" play by Baker was textbook too. 

Actually...all that was said about Baker... a lot of it even before he was take.   Remember the guy that had to eat horse poop?  But little of that sort of reaction stuck.  Why? Because for the most part  Baker backed up his draft status. All he did was set a rookie record for TD passes.....in only like 12 games.

Just now, The Gipper said:

Actually...all that was said about Baker... a lot of it even before he was take.   Remember the guy that had to eat horse poop?  But little of that sort of reaction stuck.  Why? Because for the most part  Baker backed up his draft status. All he did was set a rookie record for TD passes.....in only like 12 games.

What NFL player said that about Baker? 

The article was wrote by another GQ writer..GQ's headquarters is based in NY City since 1931.(what could go wrong).The story was wrote just after the draft.(the NY media wanted Haskins).The writer chose to take multipal quotes from Baker & place them in the order he saw fit to get clicks..Baker's agent will handle it. With the relationship between Gettelman & JD. I'd almost bet Baker & Jones have or will speak by phone..to GQ..>>  3XQa.gif          

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

What NFL player said that about Baker? 

What does it matter?  Tons and tons and tons of media/fans said it.  And likely 90% of the players thought it. 

Again, all Baker said is what EVERY motherfucker on the planet practically said about Jones...but he is disallowed because he is a player?  

I have used this sentence in other contexts (and since you seem like you patronize the political board, maybe it is a phrase you should learn):

"I am not here to salve your sensibilities"    (and neither, clearly, is Baker).  I often recommend the following for your butt hurt. (maybe Baker should carry a supply with him to pass out:

ea74be92-d851-4400-bca0-ca7ff1db7a6d_1.8

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is why so many players give canned, generic responses

It's never been a dumb thing to do.  And with the political correctness direction of society, it's becoming a smarter and smarter thing to do.

......those comments were form Baker & OBJ were from some time ago....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What does it matter?  

It matters because he's a football player who kind of (and at the end of the day I doubt Jones loses sleep over it) talked shit about another player. When a player talks shit about another player, it gets attention. You, the biggest homer on this board, would have lost your mind if Roethlisberger had said something about Baker's draft position. You would have rambled on for days about it, posted one trivia post after another that no one paid attention to, then pouted because no one paid attention to them, chastised people for commenting on other threads because you were butthurt no one posted on yours, and then bitched more about how Roethlisberger insulted Baker. It would have been quite a scene Gip. 

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

It's never been a dumb thing to do.  And with the political correctness direction of society, it's becoming a smarter and smarter thing to do.

......those comments were form Baker & OBJ were from some time ago....

Sadly, I agree man. And Mary Kay is the freakin worst. Some of her questions make me wanna ninja kick her in the throat. 

Meh.... the Browns have been getting tons of media attention with the end of last season and all the offseason moves. 

The target gets bigger the more coverage you get. 

Good thing is, Baker runs on hate fire. So flame on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

It matters because he's a football player who kind of (and at the end of the day I doubt Jones loses sleep over it) talked shit about another player. When a player talks shit about another player, it gets attention. You, the biggest homer on this board, would have lost your mind if Roethlisberger had said something about Baker's draft position. You would have rambled on for days about it, posted one trivia post after another that no one paid attention to, then pouted because no one paid attention to them, chastised people for commenting on other threads because you were butthurt no one posted on yours, and then bitched more about how Roethlisberger insulted Baker. It would have been quite a scene Gip. 

So, that Recticare really can do you some good. You are obviously sphincter puckered over anything I do. When was the last time you even started a thread on here to attempt to engender some conversation? I will tell you. It was a year ago with your 18 irrelevant questions. Since you hate it when someone tries to spur conversation and debate can we presume you will not be boring yourself with a repeat of that this year? You can go another whole year without starting another topic here. Would anyone notice? I did not know when I started this thread that I would be calling out your name in the title to it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, that Recticare really can do you some good. You are obviously sphincter puckered over anything I do. When was the last time you even started a thread on here to attempt to engender some conversation? I will tell you. It was a year ago with your 18 irrelevant questions. Since you hate it when someone tries to spur conversation and debate can we presume you will not be boring yourself with a repeat of that this year? You can go another whole year without starting another topic here. Would anyone notice? I did not know when I started this thread that I would be calling out your name in the title to it. 

Actually, when it became apparent you were wrong and couldn't do your typical "rambling lawyer talking bullshit circles around a debate to muddy the conversation waters" you reverted to name-calling and acting like a 4 year old who didn't get his way. I suppose this is the reason people like Tour don't even bother with you and just put you on ignore. I'm also starting to understand why the American judicial system is such a clusterfuck, with people like you running it. Yikes. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Actually, when it became apparent you were wrong.

You really start out poorly with this post...It was NEVER apparent to me that I was wrong...because I was not wrong. What would I have been wrong about?  You had an opinion that Baker should shut his trap...my opinion was that he has no need to.  

and couldn't do your typical "rambling lawyer talking bullshit circles around a debate to muddy the conversation waters"

By this you mean apparently mean I was making too much sense and you are too obtuse to keep up.

you reverted to name-calling and acting like a 4 year old who didn't get his way.

Actually...you are the one that started any name calling. Try actually reading the thread. I tried to give you some good advice to you about how to respond to people who claim you have offended them.  I was trying to help you. And then you went on about how I was not getting enough attention.  I get plenty of attention, but yes, I do decry the laziness and lack of knowledge that is exhibited on here frequently.  I guess I just want Browns fans to be better, more well informed than say, Steeler fans.  Apparently you don't like that concept.   Beyond that...what on Earth makes you think that I did not get my way?  I didn't really have a "way" to get.  I had an opinion that Baker should be Baker. 

I suppose this is the reason people like Tour don't even bother with you and just put you on ignore.

Tour thinks he is a know it all...and hates to be challenged or criticized on his views. And I was his Huckleberry...just the guy to challenge his arrogant points of view.  So instead of making a stand and defending his views, he pussied out and stuck his head in the sand because he could not handle even a friendly debate.

I'm also starting to understand why the American judicial system is such a clusterfuck, with people like you running it. Yikes. 

The judicial system is just fine....and we know how to deal with people like you who have to come in front of it. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Says the kettle. It is significantly easier (more civil) to discuss a differing opinion with tour than it is yourself. 

It is far more fun with me however.  It may be far more easier with Tour than with me because at the first hint of disagreement with him he runs and hides.  If you like that sort of fecklessness, more power to you. Again, go back and read this thread...I was NOT the one to start the uncivility...if you want to call it that. 

So, just another point of good advice:  Don't get into a mud wrestling match with a boar hog.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I’m more worried about being on the cover of SI. Nothing good has happened to Cleveland sports teams after making that cover. I don’t really believe in curses but this is about as close as it comes

Yep, I thought the same thing.

In regards to Baker, he needs to learn not to comment on everything. 

FWIW here's Baker's response: 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27433149/mayfield-reaches-giants-jones-clear-air

Honestly? I'm not sure why he needs to be going into that conversation (context a bit off or not). But, if this stuff comes with the elite level play we have already seen, so be it. At the end of the day this stuff blows over.

A pertinent article from the Athletic (subscription site that is quite good) written by Jason Lloyd pasted for your perusal. Sort of connects the dots in how things said can be taken out of context and blown up with social media. Also delves into Baker’s relationship with the media in the pros vs. college, and even further with how any media member who follows a team has a different set of standards than a guy writing a one off. 

When I spent a few days on Oklahoma’s campus last fall for a profile on Baker Mayfield, a number of the OU writers asked me what Mayfield’s media availability was like. He’s distant, I told them. Guarded. He’ll say anything, sure, but the NFL’s setup makes it difficult to get to know him. He is whisked in for his weekly availability and abruptly hauled back out when it’s over. There are few real opportunities for small talk, it’s hard to get side sessions during the week and there are no real chances to get to know anything about him other than how he reads a Cover 2.

They were shocked. Building relationships is what he does best. The OU writers thought it is a mistake the Browns don’t make Mayfield more accessible during the week because they all believe they had a great working relationship with him. But Cleveland is a long way from Oklahoma and the NFL is a long way from college.

Mayfield is beloved here. He doesn’t need to have a relationship with anyone in the press for that to change. All he has to do is win. And he has certainly given intimate access to GQ and ESPN for offseason profiles. He even made his wife available briefly for both.

Still, I couldn’t help but think back to the OU writers who described a different Mayfield than the one who responded to a GQ article Monday by attacking the writer and insisting he didn’t detonate Giants rookie quarterback Daniel Jones like it appeared in print. Mayfield was quoted as saying he was shocked the Giants took Jones sixth overall.

“Blows my mind,” he said.

When the snippet erupted on social media, Mayfield fired back.

“This is not what I said,” he responded on Instagram. “Just so we’re clear. I also said I was surprised I got drafted No. 1. Then was talking about the flaws in evaluating QBs. Where I brought up winning being important. Reporters and media will do anything to come up with a click-bait story. Heard nothing but good things and wish nothing but the best for Daniel.”

I can’t say for certain what Mayfield did or didn’t say, but I’ve been in these settings enough to know how this usually goes. The subject is out of the normal interview environment. He’s comfortable. He says something flippantly. Then when it appears in print, it looks much worse than how it was intended or how it sounded in his head. It happens all the time.

The writer, Clay Skipper, had a choice to make. The comment about Jones had nothing to do with the rest of the story on Mayfield and the Browns’ resurrection. But it reinforced Mayfield’s reputation of being a maverick who will say anything about anyone at any time.

Skipper has written other sports pieces. He profiled Joel Embiid last year for a piece that will be published as part of “The Best American Sports Writing 2019.” Embiid didn’t accuse him of clickbait. But we’re supposed to believe he singled out Mayfield and chose him as the victim of one silly, invented quote about the Giants quarterback? Please.

Anyone who has done this long enough has run into multiple situations like this. If I wrote everything LeBron James said in my four years with him, we could’ve had one of these firestorms every week. Once, before a road game at Houston, I walked in on a locker room discussion about some of the worst players in the league. Cavs players were trashing some of their current and past colleagues. It was an open locker room period. I would’ve been within my rights to report everything that was said. Maybe you’ll read this and think I should have. But I never wrote a word about it because it wasn’t worth it to me. Instead, my discretion built trust with the players for when I needed something more important later on.

When you’re around a team every day, you don’t write everything you see and hear. When you’re dropping in for a profile piece on the hottest team in the NFL, then leaving town again in a few days, you have nothing to lose. You have a little more leeway to use quotes like those.

But Mayfield accused GQ of clickbait, and that’s where I have to push back. The distrust of the media in society has never been higher than it is today. As a member of the press, that hurts. Politics is mostly to blame. But as someone who tries every day to get it right, the idea that writers are always making things up or looking for clickbait strikes a nerve. Some of the vitriol toward the media is certainly warranted. Some is not. This is not.

GQ did not promote the quote about Jones in the headline or in any tweet about the story. It wasn’t mentioned until the ninth paragraph, which his hardly the lead. The eruption over the quote occurred on social media from everyone else.

As I’ve told numerous interview subjects and teams, we have no control over how other outlets and publications aggregate our original content. It frustrates me sometimes, too. But to aim the venom at GQ in this instance is misguided. It wasn’t clickbait. Nothing with how they packaged or presented it was clickbait. And what happens to pieces like this once they enter the toxic vortex of Twitter/Instagram/Facebook is out of the hands of those of us who take the time to carefully produce original pieces.

This will blow over. It always does. Mayfield will be asked about it during his next availability, he’ll bristle at the question and then it will go away — at least until next season, when the Browns play at the Giants. It will most certainly resurface then, particularly if Jones is the starting quarterback. If he’s not, then the Giants really did blow the pick.

At this point, you might be mad that I’m (of course) defending the media. You might be shocked I managed to write 1,000 words on Mayfield calling another publication’s piece clickbait. But one way to start rebuilding trust is to admit when you blow it and then defend what you believe is right when you see a wrong.

One other thing the OU writers said about Mayfield: He’ll invent enemies for motivation. Ask TCU’s Gary Patterson about that. Mayfield is creating an adversary here where one doesn’t exist.

But the silly season, thankfully, is almost over. For a team that can’t seem to stay out of the spotlight, here’s the best news of all: The games that matter are less than three weeks away. They can’t get here soon enough.

53 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

When I spent a few days on Oklahoma’s campus last fall for a profile on Baker Mayfield, a number of the OU writers asked me what Mayfield’s media availability was like. He’s distant, 

One other thing the OU writers said about Mayfield: He’ll invent enemies for motivation. Ask TCU’s Gary Patterson about that. Mayfield is creating an adversary here where one doesn’t exist.

But the silly season, thankfully, is almost over. 

These media meatheads sit behind a cubical typing click stories.. While, Baker/Odel stand on a nfl football field with some serious whacked out loons that will trash talk their own bulletin board material. Some to most created by the media too..Bake's response not losing his cool,like he did in school, will be his telling growing up moment this season..coaches & 51 brownies better have these guys back.. The other rooms, trash talk'in bulletin board is right around the corner..and Hype ain't never won a ballgame.. 

17 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Says the kettle. It is significantly easier (more civil) to discuss a differing opinion with tour than it is yourself. 

It is significantly easier to discuss a kettle.