THE BROWNS BOARD

Front 7 didnt really show much yesterday...

Clevfan4life

i was a bit disappointed in Vernon especially, didnt look live comin off tge ball at all. Would get locked up and not really shed his man. Avery too didnt look very good....got constantly pushed into the DT so both of em got bogged down. When he did try to go out wide he got pushed way high. I know its only preseason but i expected some of these guys to fire out hard fir a couple plays THEN go into pro bowl mode. Like myles did against the skins. 

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

oooo he tackled some 2nd and 3rd teamers. Im not denigrating that but the main reason he's on the roster is as a situational pass rusher. In wilks scheme he will see absolutely no time as one of the lb'ers....so he's only going to see time at DE. As far as that went, he didnt show much at all yesterday but then also neither did vernon. 

i still hope wilks uses avery like oak did with mack his first year as a 43 olb'er. 

5 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

oooo he tackled some 2nd and 3rd teamers. Im not denigrating that but the main reason he's on the roster is as a situational pass rusher. In wilks scheme he will see absolutely no time as one of the lb'ers....so he's only going to see time at DE. As far as that went, he didnt show much at all yesterday but then also neither did vernon. 

i still hope wilks uses avery like oak did with mack his first year as a 43 olb'er. 

I don't think Garrett even saw the field did he? That makes a big difference to the other players along the DL when protections are not sliding his way.

• Like 1

Folks, it's exhibition season, which means nothing other than finalizing decisions & seeing what player combos work best.

Case in point:  2017 Browns were 4-0 preseason. Remember what our regular season record was? Yep, that would be 0-16.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

He can only tackle whoever the Colts put on the field. 

7 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Uh, yes you are.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, choco said:

I'm hardly a football expert...but this reads like a casual fan that just watched his first game. 

no i explained i wasnt expecting full fire out on every play. But look myles and chris smith against the skins looked pretty fluid especially for preseason game 1. They werent playing 100% but u could still see them working their craft. On saturday cernon looked like he justcwanted to lock up with the tackle a bit then go have a beer. And Avery. who got quite a few reps....nrver flashed in pass rush against 2nd and 3rd team OL.

none of u would have been happy with baker coming out and doing nothing but hsndoffs and rb screens for 2 possessions. I just wsnted to see where our d lines pass rush was at when they put it in launch control.

Now is not the time to show much of anything, anyhow..If your after a 2 preseason game worry? #1..this OL can't run block. It's all been on running backs individual vision talent & effort.. #2..We just let 3 QB's at Colts go 30 of 44 with all 3 Qb's combined with a 104.7 QB rating. I was hoping our coverage depth was far better than Saturdays game..#3.Placekicker   

11 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Now is not the time to show much of anything, anyhow..If your after a 2 preseason game worry? #1..this OL can't run block. It's all been on running backs individual vision talent & effort.. #2..We just let 3 QB's at Colts go 30 of 44 with all 3 Qb's combined with a 104.7 QB rating. I was hoping our coverage depth was far better than Saturdays game..#3.Placekicker   

I won't worry about #2 yet unless they play that way with Garrett in the game (and he was not in game 2).

Yeah, I wasn't overly blown away, mostly because Brissett looked like the second coming of Brett Favre, but our podcast analysts actually said our starting DL was dominant, and that's without Myles. I'm definitely not worried, but I am getting impatient. It just feels like more and more that the preseason is an excuse for players to get injured. We literally aren't playing our starters, and when we do, I'm holding my breath. 

Nothing matters more than game 1. Everyone here knows our record of season openers, and we MUST have a victory week 1.

i understand vernon prob had standing orders not to fire out too hard...but jobi launched through a couple times. And that rookie lb'er again how the fuck did he fall that far? man thst kid is lightin it. I was just expecting certain players like avery, who very well may be fighting for a job...to.show something yesrerday. 

Avery has zero to do with the lb'ers in wilks scheme...so he has to make the team as a DE. Theres alot of traffic at DE guys. Zettel, who i dont really care for but is gettin lots of reps, love me some big bear he's in, Chad Thomas.....i mean, avery needs to flash next game or ge might be playing alot in game 4 and we know what thst means.

Acery was highly thought of by GW but who knows with wilks. Wilks may not see much need for Avery as he doesnt use as many 3 DL sets as GW did. 

7 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Avery looks much quicker. Shows on the tackle on the screen pass right before half. 

He was pass rushing, diagnosed the screen, and made it outside in time to trip up the receiver. 

he's a ridiculous athlete no question. He just may not work so well in our scheme. 

it's preseason. teams don't show the really cool stuff they can do. It is all basic stuff that doesn't tip off any

regular season opposition. In fact, this is the first exhibition season that I can watch the entire games with a lot of interest, with the depth the Browns now have.

Regular season will get here soon enough.

12 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

scheme wise teams arent showing shit, that goes without saying. Ofc wolks isnt showing complex rush and blitz schemes. Im just talking about a clean rip around the edge ffs. Avery was just getting pushed way wide, wasnt leaning into his edge rush. 

Maybe the pass rushers are being vanilla too and not trying to show off their flashy/new moves

14 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Im just talking about a clean rip around the edge ffs. Avery was just getting pushed way wide, wasnt leaning into his edge rush. 

Go to Colts gameday thread..Look at Chad Kelley video at 2:13 with 4.5 minutes left in game..I'd say Wyatt Ray made up for his dumb mistake

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

In my old age i have come to the conclusion that exhibition football doesn't mean shit.

They should do likethey did in  the old days...play these games in different venues....like the Akron Rubber Bowl.  Now put a game at Infocision stadium.

AND/OR...a better idea:  bring back the old double headers.   Remember them?  The Browns would play someone, then 2 other teams would play.

If you don't want to hold that in the Browns stadium....have it at like Ohio Stadium... in Mid August where the Browns play an opponent and then the Bengals play someone.    That would be cool, sort of. 

36 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think they should go to 18 games with no preseason games. Be allowed to take 61 players into the season dropping 8 over a 4 game span (2 drops after each game).

And NO  "inactives".  If they are on the active roster, let them suit up and play.

• Upvote 1

I can't stress enough how much I hate the idea of a 18 game regular season.

I don't care if the rosters have a small village per team... I want the best players to have the best chance of being around at the end of the season, and prolonging the regular season won't do it. Quality over quantity. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

But...do we hate  4 preseason games worse?  On another thread earlier, there was discussion about a 17 game season...and how that could work.  Resucitate that is you will.

I don't care if the rosters have a small village per team... I want the best players to have the best chance of being around at the end of the season, and prolonging the regular season won't do it. No...for sure.....getting rid of the inactives would help imo.

Quality over quantity. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't care if the rosters have a small village per team... I want the best players to have the best chance of being around at the end of the season, and prolonging the regular season won't do it. Quality over quantity. 

I totally agree, plus fatigue increases risk of injury. Starters would play extensively in 1 or 2 extra regular season games...they play little (if at all) in 1 or 2 exhibition games. There is no comparison.

Mike