THE BROWNS BOARD

Changing of the guard

The Gipper

Here is a statistic for you all.

Those teams in the AFC that have gone the longest without  winning a title...or in some cases without even making a Super Bowl are: 

LA/San Diego Chargers   1963

Cleveland Browns  1964

Buffalo Bills  1965

Cincinnati Bengals  1968 (when they first started play)

New York Jets  1968  SBIII

Kansas City Chiefs  1969  SBIV

Now look at these teams:  Several of them have THE  brightest young QB prospects in the entire NFL:

Browns:  Baker.    Jets: Darnold  Chiefs:  Mahomes   Bills:  Josh Allen (maybe)

As I see it, beginning this year, these teams/QBs are going to dominate the AFC.    And soon it will be down with the Patriots/Steelers/Broncos...teams that have basically dominated the AFC for this Millenium.  The Colts were also on this list with Peyton at the controls.....but the question is can Andrew Luck get his team to run with the Baker/Mahomes/Darnold crowd.  Remains to be seen...if he can stay healthy enough. 

So....get ready for the new breed to take over.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Here is a statistic for you all.

Those teams in the AFC that have gone the longest without  winning a title...or in some cases without even making a Super Bowl are: 

LA/San Diego Chargers   1963

Cleveland Browns  1964

Buffalo Bills  1965

Cincinnati Bengals  1968 (when they first started play)

New York Jets  1968  SBIII

Kansas City Chiefs  1969  SBIV

Now look at these teams:  Several of them have THE  brightest young QB prospects in the entire NFL:

Browns:  Baker.    Jets: Darnold  Chiefs:  Mahomes   Bills:  Josh Allen (maybe)

As I see it, beginning this year, these teams/QBs are going to dominate the AFC.    And soon it will be down with the Patriots/Steelers/Broncos...teams that have basically dominated the AFC for this Millenium.  The Colts were also on this list with Peyton at the controls.....but the question is can Andrew Luck get his team to run with the Baker/Mahomes/Darnold crowd.  Remains to be seen...if he can stay healthy enough. 

So....get ready for the new breed to take over.

I hope it's this year it happens. But Brady got his manna from heaven wr (assuming he can stay out of trouble) Josh Gordon, and the reports from Steelers training camp (according to Clayton) is they're looking mighty good. The good news is any of the QBs you mentioned are all- barring injury- going to have a lot longer shelf life than Tom & Ben. 

Regarding not so lucky Luck- the latest from the Indy talking heads is 45% chance he's ready for game one.  But if you watched any of the Browns game yesterday Jacoby Brissett is no slouch. There was some talk of trading him (maybe to the Eagles before they signed McCown) but the Colts fans I talked to at the game think that's nuts.  The Colts caught a major break with Derwin James being out for the opener and Keenan Allen at best questionable. And Melvin Gordon currently pulling a Le'veon Bell act. 

6 hours ago, medicineman said:

This post seems lame compared to what you normally have Gipper. You have had some pretty good reads over the years but this one, IDK?

Do you deny the premise?    Teams are generally good because they have good QBs.   The Steelers and the Patriots and the Colts dominated the the AFC the last 20 years about because they had Brady, Peyton, and BR. (with obvious help).  But Peyton is gone, Brady is 42 and BR is 37.    A new breed is about ready to take over. 

Do you not think that  Baker, Mahomes, Darnold, perhaps Allen....and I forgot one guy:  DeShaun Watson.....will not take over? 

All with teams that have not won since the 60s...or who have never won?

Do you think it will be whomever replaces BR/Brady?  

Do you think Luck will dominate the conference?  (He could if healthy)....Or Drew Lock, or Lamar Jackson, or Nick Foles?  

Even if it is Josh Rosen....well, that would still be a changing of the guard, as despite having had Marino for so long, he never won and the Dolphins last title was 1973...or 46 years ago.

Again, tell me what, if anything about the premise you disagree with.

I never said I disagreed with any of it, You are spot on with the new breeds But as you said Brady is 42 but don't look like he wants to slow down,  Ben just mite be going til he is 42 or whatever as well so that means he mite have a good 3 more seasons in the tank, I agree all the way we have a new class here but the others don't look to be done yet 

18 hours ago, medicineman said:

I never said I disagreed with any of it, You are spot on with the new breeds But as you said Brady is 42 but don't look like he wants to slow down,  Ben just mite be going til he is 42 or whatever as well so that means he mite have a good 3 more seasons in the tank, I agree all the way we have a new class here but the others don't look to be done yet 

I know that those guys still have some air in their tanks.   But I still say that this year is when these young guns start sucking the air out of those tanks..in terms of the teams overtaking their teams.  So it is not just the old QBs, it is the total team strengths that are also involved. 

Most people think the Browns have overtaken the Steelers and all the other AFCN teams in talent (and most of the AFC).   Except for a silly penalty, the Chiefs should have taken the Pats in the AFC title game.  While maybe they have not caught them, the Jets and Bills have closed the talent gap on the Pats (though the BB/Brady intangible factors will still likely prevail).   And DeShaun Watson is there.  And the one other name that could possibly shine is Mitch Trubisky...though he is in the NFC. The NFC has a couple of young guns as well with Goff/Wentz. 

Part of the reason that this young group may be ready to take over is because for a number of years before the last 3, the QBs that were  drafted highly and who were supposed to be the Big Kahunas  turned out not so much to be that:

The likes of  Winston and Mariota.   Luck with his injuries,  the Blake Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater year;  and while Cam Newton has to be considered a top dog....that is also the draft that gave the likes of Gabbert/Ponder/Locker. Then there was the Bradford/Tebow/McCoy year. Then besides Luck...that year gave us RGIII and Tannehill. 

There have been some good QBs...but not that have really taken over the league really:  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford.

So...the takeover by the young guns of the last 3 drafts:   Goff/Wentz year,   Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson year,    Mayfield/Darnold/Allen (Jackson? Rosen?)...and who knows about this years rookies  (Haskins/Jones/Kyler).....was enabled by a lot of failures by QBs that coulda/shoulda been in their prime at this point...but who have fallen short.

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know that those guys still have some air in their tanks.   But I still say that this year is when these young guns start sucking the air out of those tanks..in terms of the teams overtaking their teams.  So it is not just the old QBs, it is the total team strengths that are also involved. 

Most people think the Browns have overtaken the Steelers and all the other AFCN teams in talent (and most of the AFC).   Except for a silly penalty, the Chiefs should have taken the Pats in the AFC title game.  While maybe they have not caught them, the Jets and Bills have closed the talent gap on the Pats (though the BB/Brady intangible factors will still likely prevail).   And DeShaun Watson is there.  And the one other name that could possibly shine is Mitch Trubisky...though he is in the NFC. The NFC has a couple of young guns as well with Goff/Wentz. 

Part of the reason that this young group may be ready to take over is because for a number of years before the last 3, the QBs that were  drafted highly and who were supposed to be the Big Kahunas  turned out not so much to be that:

The likes of  Winston and Mariota.   Luck with his injuries,  the Blake Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater year;  and while Cam Newton has to be considered a top dog....that is also the draft that gave the likes of Gabbert/Ponder/Locker. Then there was the Bradford/Tebow/McCoy year. Then besides Luck...that year gave us RGIII and Tannehill. 

There have been some good QBs...but not that have really taken over the league really:  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford.

So...the takeover by the young guns of the last 3 drafts:   Goff/Wentz year,   Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson year,    Mayfield/Darnold/Allen (Jackson? Rosen?)...and who knows about this years rookies  (Haskins/Jones/Kyler).....was enabled by a lot of failures by QBs that coulda/shoulda been in their prime at this point...but who have fallen short.

It saddens me that many fans already act as we have won the North when we haven't done shit yet. On paper we look great but we have to win first. Remember the huge hype for the 2008 season? That was a damn joke of a team. But on paper it looked like we made some good moves and then it was a dud. I love we have the hype going in but please the ones that are taking trash......Just wait it out! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, medicineman said:

It saddens me that many fans already act as we have won the North when we haven't done shit yet. On paper we look great but we have to win first. Remember the huge hype for the 2008 season? That was a damn joke of a team. But on paper it looked like we made some good moves and then it was a dud. I love we have the hype going in but please the ones that are taking trash......Just wait it out! 

Non sequiter 

23 hours ago, medicineman said:

I don't THINK most of our fans truly believe we're going to run shit in the AFC North. Do we have a chance? (finally) Sure! But I agree with you, if I'm a betting man, I can't throw down cash on my beloved Brownies until I see them do it. We didn't really beat a good team last year, the Steelers beat us down the 2nd time and we couldn't beat them the first time with 100 turnovers, and most of all, we don't have a kicker. Kicker problems could have cost us a winning record last year, and we have yet to address it. In fact, I'm calling it now. Game 1 will come down to our FG kicker. I'm not saying we're going to lose, but I have a feeling that it's coming down to a kick. Week 1 is almost ALWAYS a shit-fest, and the Titans aren't a joke. 

All that being said, I'm the optimistic a-hole of the board, and I do feel like we'll CONTEND for the division crown. I'm going with a 10-6 record, which I'd be ecstatic with! 

47 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't THINK most of our fans truly believe we're going to run shit in the AFC North. Do we have a chance? (finally) Sure! But I agree with you, if I'm a betting man, I can't throw down cash on my beloved Brownies until I see them do it. We didn't really beat a good team last year, the Steelers beat us down the 2nd time and we couldn't beat them the first time with 100 turnovers, and most of all, we don't have a kicker. Kicker problems could have cost us a winning record last year, and we have yet to address it. In fact, I'm calling it now. Game 1 will come down to our FG kicker. I'm not saying we're going to lose, but I have a feeling that it's coming down to a kick. Week 1 is almost ALWAYS a shit-fest, and the Titans aren't a joke. 

All that being said, I'm the optimistic a-hole of the board, and I do feel like we'll CONTEND for the division crown. I'm going with a 10-6 record, which I'd be ecstatic with! 

I feel the opposite. The talent is there, I'm hopeful what's on paper translates to the field. 

Regarding our kickers. If they continue to mess up, our opening day kicker may well not be on the roster yet. 

23 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

We kind of beat a couple decent teams, Nobody thought we were going to beat the Falcons or the Panthers and when we beat Cinntucky the first team they had a 2 game lead above us, Remember we won zero games the year before and came out swinging and tied a Pisspuke team and won 7 games, 0 wins to 7 wins is a hell of a good season

• Like 1

21 hours ago, medicineman said:

We kind of beat a couple decent teams, Nobody thought we were going to beat the Falcons or the Panthers and when we beat Cinntucky the first team they had a 2 game lead above us, Remember we won zero games the year before and came out swinging and tied a Pisspuke team and won 7 games, 0 wins to 7 wins is a hell of a good season

The Falcons win was really nice because they were kind of on a roll at the time. Panthers game was very solid too, as they were desperate for a win, although Cam was banged up. 

15 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The Falcons win was really nice because they were kind of on a roll at the time. Panthers game was very solid too, as they were desperate for a win, although Cam was banged up. 

Every win was a really nice win for a team that had gone 1-31 the last two years.

• 4 weeks later...

Revisiting this in light of the injuries...and even retirements...and benchings  that have taken place in just the first two weeks of the season.

BR....out all year, maybe for good?.   Brees...out for now.   Eli....benched.   Brady and Rivers survive....so far.  

And others suffer as well...though these are not the "Old guard" I had in mind: Foles out.  Luck retires.

I expected some young guns to start taking over:

Baker,  Watson, Mahomes,  Trubisky,  Rosen, Wentz, Goff,  Allen,   Darnold...though he is temporarily sidelined.

I did NOT expect the "new Breed"  to include the names:   Brisset,  Luke Falk,  Mason Rudolph......but it may!

Murray and Haskins and Jones can be thrown in there as well.