THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Some Christians ‘Love the Meanest Parts’ of Trump

jbluhm86

The AtlanticWhy Some Christians ‘Love the Meanest Parts’ of Trump

Excerpt:

[Emma Green, the Atlantic]: "You talk a lot about the bitterness that motivates evangelicals in the realm of politics. Where does that come from"?

[Ben Howe, author of The Immoral Majority]: "It comes from a reasonably understandable place. If people feel that their motives are impugned, if they feel they’re not bad people but are being told they are—being told they’re racist or misogynist—it can foster a mentality of victimhood.

In the minds of a lot of conservatives, the left exists to impugn their motives, and the Republican Party regularly lied to them and said they would defend them and then didn’t. And that was the establishment. Trump became their hero, because he hated the establishment, and he beat up on the media, and he was fighting back against all these forces. The more he fights, the more they feel justified, like, He’s our hero because we needed someone to do this for us.

Trump’s appeal is not judges. It’s not policies. It’s that he’s a shit-talker and a fighter and tells it like it is. That’s what they like. They love the meanest parts of him."

6 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Evangelical leaders see Trump as strong ally

President kept his promises, they say

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2019/may/06/evangelical-leaders-see-trump-as-strong/

Green: "In your book, you talk a lot about the “but abortion” argument that many pro-life Christians make. For example: Let’s say I’m an evangelical mom involved in the pro-life movement, and I genuinely believe that abortion is the greatest human-rights crisis of our time. And although I don’t like the way that Trump talks about immigrants, I don’t like babies in cages, I don’t like family separation, etc., I think there is a genuine possibility that a Republican will nominate and confirm Supreme Court justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade and lower the number of abortions in the U.S.

Do you disagree with that as a rationale for supporting Trump?"

Howe: "Yes".

Green: "Why"?

Howe: "When you make a short-term decision that can have long-term detrimental consequences, as I think Trump will, you are harming your cause. Trump will affect the way the culture views abortion and views conservatism. As a Trump-supporting pro-lifer, can I convince anyone that abortion is wrong? He makes it more difficult."

The problem with too many republicans has always been they will not fight. Oh they talk a good fight when campaigning but then go to DC and do little to fulfill their campaign promises. Trump fights...that he may fight too often doesn't bother me as much as those who will not fight. Trump also has had every attack under the sun upon him and his family and keeps fighting on. He has my support:

He Fights:

https://townhall.com/columnists/evansayet/2017/07/13/he-fights-n2354580

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Image may contain: one or more people, meme and text

I never thought democrat Al Franken should have resigned over that photo of him pretending to grope a woman on a plane. It was the democrats who were willing to throw him under the bus to get Trump. They were were the ones pressuring Franken to resign. They want to win at all costs, and were willing to lose a battle to try to win the war. If Franken were forced to resign it would bolster their arguments against Trump to resign over some women who were claiming he sexually assaulted them. It is interesting that now that the plan didn't work you hear so many dems bemoaning they made a mistake with forcing Franken to resign. Too bad, so sad. 

* My thoughts on what Franken did is that it was an immature practical joke from a comedian (he was a comedian at the time). He never actually touched the woman. He owed her an apology and that should have ended it... I saw the woman interviewed on Fox and all she wanted was an apology from him.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/al-franken-regrets-resigning-so-do-many-who-pushed-him-out-the-new-yorker-reports

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I think one of Trump's best cons was convincing Christians he was some great Christian ally.

Or maybe less of a con and more their willingness to turn a blind eye to 90% of what they preach...

Among other things Hillary Clinton supports abortion up until time of delivery. Kind of makes voting for Trump an easy choice for pro life Christians. And Trump now is being called the most pro life president ever (by pro abortion activists). So Christians made a good call in going with Trump.

38 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I think one of Trump's best cons was convincing Christians he was some great Christian ally.

Or maybe less of a con and more their willingness to turn a blind eye to 90% of what they preach...

I suppose you remember when Barack Obama talked about how he would run the country using his Christian faith as a guide. So I guess you've got a choice, a guy pretending to be a Christian and then going against everything Christians believe and a guy pretending to be a Christian and kind of going along with what they believe. They're both pretending, which one do you pick Woodrow?

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I suppose you remember when Barack Obama talked about how he would run the country using his Christian faith as a guide. So I guess you've got a choice, a guy pretending to be a Christian and then going against everything Christians believe and a guy pretending to be a Christian and kind of going along with what they believe. They're both pretending oh, which one do you pick Woodrow?

WSS

He was only about 12 then.🤣

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I suppose you remember when Barack Obama talked about how he would run the country using his Christian faith as a guide. So I guess you've got a choice, a guy pretending to be a Christian and then going against everything Christians believe and a guy pretending to be a Christian and kind of going along with what they believe. They're both pretending, which one do you pick Woodrow?

WSS

To become President you need to pretend you're more Christan than you are. Unfortunately that's where we're at. Though over time that has been, and will continue to, fade. 

It's just funny seeing Christians talk Trump up so much when the guy has spent his whole life being anything but one. But he's pro life (at least as a politician) so they can set all of the rest of their morals aside and hang their hat on that 

20 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

To become President you need to pretend you're more Christan than you are. Unfortunately that's where we're at. Though over time that has been, and will continue to, fade. 

It's just funny seeing Christians talk Trump up so much when the guy has spent his whole life being anything but one. But he's pro life (at least as a politician) so they can set all of the rest of their morals aside and hang their hat on that 

** Don't forget being described by the PM of Israel as the best friend to Israel they have ever had and moving our embassy to Jerusalem. Those are kind of big deals as well. Trump is not an evangelical Christian but he has been good on the issues. I like what Huckabee had to say about him. Trump may not have good bedside manner but he is a great doctor. And the doctor will be IN until 2024..