THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP Cedric Benson

darren15

He and his female passenger were killed on his motorcycle in a headon collision with a van. 2 days before he had pled guilty to a DWI which was reduced to obstruction of a passageway in a plea deal in court. Unknown if that was the case here. 2222 in Austin is dangerous on a motorcycle, especially with 2 people aboard. Lot of twisty turns going uphill and down. and wide enough to invite more speed than you normally would do. Again I have no idea if there was speeding, but I sure did when I was riding a VFR 800 on it. That road just begs you to.

Sorry for his family and friends.....seems like an increase of bike crashes this summer....too many. Locally and nationally........

Been riding for 30-40 years now and I really tune into bike issues.....its really getting bad(and dangerous) with all the non attentive drivers out there......its downright scary anymore.....

Used to ride daily, to work, errands, etc.....but now, it's only joy rides in the country.....doing my best to be far far away from any other traffic.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Used to ride and sold my bike in 2007.  Had the itch and found a CBR600 on the cheap for summer 3 years ago.    I would say, while on the road, at least 1 in every 5 people I passed were on their phones, gps, stereo, etc etc.     Bottom line, almost everyone seemed like a distracted driver.        It's just not what it was before smart phones took off.     Even more of a gamble to ride now having to deal with seemingly no-one looking for you.  

Got rid of the bike and I doubt I'll ever go back.   Would love to, but I hardly trust other drivers on the road as-is.

RIP Ceddy.  Enjoyed watching him at Texas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Used to ride and sold my bike in 2007.  Had the itch and found a CBR600 on the cheap for summer 3 years ago.    I would say, while on the road, at least 1 in every 5 people I passed were on their phones, gps, stereo, etc etc.     Bottom line, almost everyone seemed like a distracted driver.        It's just not what it was before smart phones took off.     Even more of a gamble to ride now having to deal with seemingly no-one looking for you.  

Got rid of the bike and I doubt I'll ever go back.   Would love to, but I hardly trust other drivers on the road as-is.

RIP Ceddy.  Enjoyed watching him at Texas.

Mine sits in my barn for this exact reason. It’s a Buell 1200cc with basically open pipes. It’s as loud as a damn WWII plane and people still would merge into me, pull out in front, tailgate me.... had a friend died on route 82 in Brookfield driving along in the right lane and someone crossing the highway just ran her over... 

i should sell my bike too.... but just haven’t been able to yet.

Recently had to take a driver safety course for work. All employees with company cars are required to complete it every 2 years. They gave some distracted driver stats that were shocking. One that stuck with me is that if you are on the phone even HANDS FREE your reaction time is reduced to that of someone at 0.08 blood alcohol level. Texting etc obviously makes that number far worse. 

• Upvote 1

I did see on the local news that the accident was caused by the van driver not seeing the motorcycle and pullin out from a side road onto 2222 right in front of it. They said speed was involved so I had to assume they meant on the part of Benson's motorcycle. It was a very fiery scene. Hopefully for he and his passenger it was instantly over.

I always had a motorcycle from high school days until my son turned 15 and he started wanting a motorcycle for himself and then I sold my bike and discouraged him from wanting one. My brother when he was in high school had a motorcycle and he and one of his friends who owned a car traded for one night. His friend had a car pull out in front of him on the motorcycle and he lost his leg in the accident. There is no getting around it they are dangerous with little to protect you if you have an accident. I remember seeing a poster at a motorcycle  dealership saying "got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet" but really going at highway speeds I don't think even having a top of the line helmet is going to prevent serious injury.  I always rode my motorcycle defensively particularly in a situation where I knew that a car might not see me and pull in front of me car. It saved me from a few accidents.  

21 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I always had a motorcycle from high school days until my son turned 15 and he started wanting a motorcycle for himself and then I sold my bike and discouraged him from wanting one. My brother when he was in high school had a motorcycle and he and one of his friends who owned a car traded for one night. His friend had a car pull out in front of him on the motorcycle and he lost his leg in the accident. There is no getting around it they are dangerous with little to protect you if you have an accident. I remember seeing a poster at a motorcycle  dealership saying "got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet" but really going at highway speeds I don't think even having a top of the line helmet is going to prevent serious injury.  I always rode my motorcycle defensively particularly in a situation where I knew that a car might not see me and pull in front of me car. It saved me from a few accidents.  

It is a problem.  I know that I have caught myself a few times about ready to pull out and all of a sudden there is a motorcycle there.  And I just say to myself "Shit, I did not see him at first....good thing I caught it in time". 

Tip from a traffic court magistrate to motorcyclists:  always drive with your headlight on.  You can be seen better that way and not blend into the background so much.

I never rode a bike other than as a passenger, but my mom did date a biker. That’s right, my mom was some guy’s old lady. From this l have a heightened awareness and a certain developed mode of driving behavior around motorcyclists. For example, extra cushion on the tailing. 

However, in my ample studies of driving behavior in rush hour traffic, l can see how a bike in that environment would be a no bueno situation.

It’s all about boxing it in to push through, not letting the asshole to your right merge into your lane mentality. 

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It is a problem.  I know that I have caught myself a few times about ready to pull out and all of a sudden there is a motorcycle there.  And I just say to myself "Shit, I did not see him at first....good thing I caught it in time". 

Tip from a traffic court magistrate to motorcyclists:  always drive with your headlight on.  You can be seen better that way and not blend into the background so much.

All motorcycles have their headlights on all the time now. Built that way.

But here is the real tip I got from the motorcycle safety course I took when I got my Texas license. Always drive during the day with you headlights on high beam. It might piss off a few drivers, but it is legal and it does not blind them like it does at night. But it sure helps to get their attention.

I could write another book on how to stay alive on a motorcycle. 

Chapter #1 - you are invisible to all other drivers! Drive that way!

Chapter #2 - Drive with an "out" easily available and preferably have more than one "out".

Chapter #3 - They don't call them "murdercycles" in the ER for nothing. A local attorney in Austin includes the "fact" in his TV ads that you are 26 X's more likely to die on one in an accident than in a car.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:33 PM, jcam222 said:

Recently had to take a driver safety course for work. All employees with company cars are required to complete it every 2 years. They gave some distracted driver stats that were shocking. One that stuck with me is that if you are on the phone even HANDS FREE your reaction time is reduced to that of someone at 0.08 blood alcohol level. Texting etc obviously makes that number far worse. 

Last mother's day I was stopped at a red light in my truck and was rear ended by an uninsured, texting driver doing 38mph at impact. Had I have been on a bike, I wouldn't have even known what hit me.

After I got out of my truck and he his car, I grabbed him by the throat and was milliseconds away from going to jail when I heard his 18 month old son crying in the rear seat and I instantly came down to earth again...... luckily the kid was in a car seat and was OK. 

I can't believe how fucking stupid the human species is..... all ages. I live in an area where there are 100s of miles of 2 lane 60mph roads with only a painted line separating the lanes and if I pass 10 cars, at least 3 of them were looking down to the right as we passed at 120mph and a whopping 8ft apart........... God I hate people. 

• Upvote 1