THE BROWNS BOARD

***Browns @ Colts Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

4 hours ago, medicineman said:

Did you watch the  Cowpokes game? were over 25 penalties and then 1 came on a challenge PI call that was not called til they threw the red flag then blah blah blah, I hate how flags can decide the outcome of a game. That's what make people believe Vegas is involved, 

I understand why many of the newer penalty rules are in place for players safety but now there are so many penalties it takes away from the game. This game was a good example. After every play you waited to see if there was a flag thrown. A big problem I see is that so many of the newer penalty rules are subjective. Holding has always been that type of penalty as being subjective many times. Now we have added a number of newer penalty rules that also are subjective. 

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Bottom line I agree with Bernie Kosar that was a call that never should’ve been made

That's because you both see it through homer eyes and are not objectively viewing what is going on. The other thing is that you can't hear what the ref of the field can hear, the sound of the "touch" to the helmet. If he'd made the same slap on the butt it would not make all that much noise that the same exact slap on a plastic helmet makes. If you are the ref right there with the two of them, you can hear it when it's enough force to knock a head forward and down. You and Bernie are wrong. Homers.😂😜

Go back and review the touch and keep in mind what gumby said, more than one whistle had already been blown and no touch whatsoever was required. The reason I know Freddie will use this with the whole team present is that he keeps stressing playing smart. You could already see his disgust with the running into the kicker mistake that we were lucky was not a drive extending 15 yarder. He'll use that one too as another example of not playing smart.

2 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I understand why many of the newer penalty rules are in place for players safety but now there are so many penalties it takes away from the game. This game was a good example. After every play you waited to see if there was a flag thrown. A big problem I see is that so many of the newer penalty rules are subjective. Holding has always been that type of penalty as being subjective many times. Now we have added a number of newer penalty rules that also are subjective. 

Statistically flags are always thrown at a much higher rate in preseason. Refs use it as a review period just as much as players do honestly. Flags always go down a good margin come week one.

the challenge for PI is shaping up to be very interesting though. 

Just for grins I reviewed the late hit on the downed QB multiple times/angles and found that he did not just hit him with his hand, but came down on the back of his head and on over with his chest while the QB was in an almost sitting position with his back to the defense. Clearly a penalty that was justified by the ref who was standing right over the QB blowing his whistle. A blind man could make that call.

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just for grins I reviewed the late hit on the downed QB multiple times/angles and found that he did not just hit him with his hand, but came down on the back of his head and on over with his chest while the QB was in an almost sitting position with his back to the defense. Clearly a penalty that was justified by the ref who was standing right over the QB blowing his whistle. A blind man could make that call.

At the game it looked like a  bogus  call  though. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

At the game it looked like a  bogus  call  though. 

Told you Freddie would not be pleased "We were not smart". He's blaming us not the refs. 😁

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/freddie-kitchens-displeased-with-penalties-incurred-in-win-over-colts

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Told you Freddie would not be pleased "We were not smart". He's blaming us not the refs. 😁

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/freddie-kitchens-displeased-with-penalties-incurred-in-win-over-colts

The other call  I  didn't  like was when we creamed the Colts punt returner.  His fault for  not calling a fair catch. Guess you're  supposed to  tackle  nice now. :D

so, is there one new rule, that if you duck your head to put your shoulder into the guy you're tackling, deliberately not hitting

with your head...

that is a flag? So, if you don't duck your head, and your helmet grazes the other guy's helmet, that's a flag.

But duck your head to avoid that and...

nope. not making sense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/17/stock-up-and-stock-down-after-the-browns-preseason-win-over-colts/

Decent who’s hot and who’s not type of article after last game. Looks like they got it right. Wyatt Ray seemed to show some nifty moves. My recording on NFL Network seems to mostly be a Panthers game, so l only got to see part of the second half.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's because you both see it through homer eyes and are not objectively viewing what is going on.

While I am not nor ever have played organized football...I am seeing it through football players eyes...meaning that I realize that a bit of contact is going to happen...if you want them to play flag football, say so.

The other thing is that you can't hear what the ref of the field can hear, the sound of the "touch" to the helmet. If he'd made the same slap on the butt it would not make all that much noise that the same exact slap on a plastic helmet makes. If you are the ref right there with the two of them, you can hear it when it's enough force to knock a head forward and down. You and Bernie are wrong. Homers.😂😜

No, we are right....that call I wager would NOT be made during the regular season...pussy.

Go back and review the touch and keep in mind what gumby said, more than one whistle had already been blown and no touch whatsoever was required.

Oh...so, you agree...it was a mere "touch".

The reason I know Freddie will use this with the whole team present is that he keeps stressing playing smart. You could already see his disgust with the running into the kicker mistake that we were lucky was not a drive extending 15 yarder. He'll use that one too as another example of not playing smart.

Oh, I am not saying that the Browns did not make a lot of dumb plays...but I bet that in his office he would say to that player:  I can't tell you wha you did wrong with that "tap".

58 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The other call  I  didn't  like was when we creamed the Colts punt returner.  His fault for  not calling a fair catch. Guess you're  supposed to  tackle  nice now. :D

Absolutely.....the gunner hit him in the chest with basically his helmet off to the side...it was NOT a "spear".  It was just the ref overreacting to a very hard hit.

20 hours ago, medicineman said:

Gilbert is awful. he wont even get a score

I dont see that at all......In fact, I think he is a slam dunk #2 and am curious why the Browns are just handing Stanton the job....

If it was me, I might cut Stanton and keep Gilbert and Blough. Stanton has established he wont get any better, but the 2 young guys already are better and both have potential for growth.....

Baker 1 - Gilbert 2 - Blough 3..............Stanton gone......

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Oh...so, you agree...it was a mere "touch".

Pay attention grasshopper.😂

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

24 minutes ago, blitzz2 said:

Baker,Gilbert,Stanton...Bloug to PS

Stanton is a waste at this point. It's pretty obvious that Gilbert is a better QB. 

QB Gilbert, RB Johnson, WR Higgins, WR Strong, WR Montgomery, LB Thomas, CB/S Murray, CB Gaines really helped themselves.

I was really disappointed in wilson but he has superstar potential. That probably more on my expectations being too high. Pharaoh Brown looked lost. Corbett isn't a Center. Hunt looked rusty. #66 Wright needs to be cut he will end up getting someone hurt. Redwine and Whitehead looked bad, we really need to find a 3rd safety. The kickers were awful

1 hour ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Stanton is a waste at this point. It's pretty obvious that Gilbert is a better QB. 

QB Gilbert, RB Johnson, WR Higgins, WR Strong, WR Montgomery, LB Thomas, CB/S Murray, CB Gaines really helped themselves.

I was really disappointed in wilson but he has superstar potential. That probably more on my expectations being too high. Pharaoh Brown looked lost. Corbett isn't a Center. Hunt looked rusty. #66 Wright needs to be cut he will end up getting someone hurt. Redwine and Whitehead looked bad, we really need to find a 3rd safety. The kickers were awful

Stanton  only played a series or two.  I'm betting  he'll  get plenty of PT the second  half Thursday. Too soon to cut him MHO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Stanton  only played a series or two.  I'm betting  he'll  get plenty of PT the second  half Thursday. Too soon to cut him MHO.

Stanton is in the twilight of his backup career... If we cut him... no great loss...

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just to touch clearly not a penalty in normal times 

No-read the quote of myself below where I said "Pay attention". Here it is again right below this.  It was more than just a touch.

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A tap with his chest. Yeah, that sounds about right.

He touched his head with his hand.  

I will go back to what a certain home boy from around here said about how QBs are being treated:   "Put  skirt on them, if you are going to calls plays like that a penalty."   (that was Jack Lambert...Mantua Crestwood/Kent State product)

8 minutes ago, choco said:

I'll be waiting with baited breath when you start a thread complaining about baker getting hit. 

It is spelled "bated breath"....unless you are fishing for air.     And the key word in your sentence is "hit".   not touched, not tapped,  hit.

1: to reduce the force or intensity of : RESTRAINwaited with bated breath
2: to take away : DEDUCTThat grave and orderly senior was not going to bate a jot of his dignity …— George Eliot
3archaic : to lower especially in amount or estimationAnd I shall have to bate my price …— A. E. Housman
4archaic : BLUNTAnd now I have bated your curiosity …— J. F. Cooper

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He touched his head with his hand.  

I will go back to what a certain home boy from around here said about how QBs are being treated:   "Put  skirt on them, if you are going to calls plays like that a penalty."   (that was Jack Lambert...Mantua Crestwood/Kent State product)

You are wrong. It started with the hand but as he came over the top he hits him with his chest as well. But no fear. As the QB got up he exclaimed..........................

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You are wrong. It started with the hand but as he came over the top he hits him with his chest as well. But no fear. As the QB got up he exclaimed..........................

Prove it....show the video.  I must have missed something if you say the defender fell on him with his chest.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Prove it....show the video.  I must have missed something if you say the defender fell on him with his chest.

I did not say he fell on him. I said his chest contacted the QB's helmet with his chest as he came over the top.

And you go find the video. You have been claiming it was not a foul, not me. That was your argument against my original post that it was a stupid thing to do, so find it and post it and then try to claim there was no contact chest to helmet as he comes over the top of the sitting QB. It's around the 14:00 min. time of the 4th. I no longer have it recorded.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I did not say he fell on him. I said his chest contacted the QB's helmet with his chest as he came over the top.

And you go find the video. You have been claiming it was not a foul, not me. That was your argument against my original post that it was a stupid thing to do, so find it and post it and then try to claim there was no contact chest to helmet as he comes over the top of the sitting QB. It's around the 14:00 min. time of the 4th. I no longer have it recorded.

I saw it.  My testimony is all the proof required.   Whatever he touched him with...it was just that a touch that barely grazed him.