THE BROWNS BOARD

Jay-Z and NFL team up to woke us

htownbrown

Eric Reid blasts singer: 'When has Jay-Z ever taken a knee?'

AOL.COM 1 hr ago

Jay-Z’s partnership with the NFL has been under fire basically since it was announced.

partnership between the rap mogul’s Roc Nation Sports and the NFL to manage the league’s entertainment and social justice ventures faced a number of uncomfortable questions once it emerged that Colin Kaepernick, who Jay-Z has supported against the NFL in the past, was not involved.

Jay-Z had reportedly gone so far as to lobby Travis Scott to drop out of the Super Bowl halftime show over the NFL’s treatment of Kaepernick. Now, he’s associating himself with the league more than Scott ever did and going so far as to declare the movement for change is “past kneeling.” Jay-Z also reportedly claimed he spoke to Kaepernick about the deal, which Kaepernick’s girlfriend said

5 hours ago, htownbrown said:

Well digging is associated with painstaking labor, but to each their own.

I'm not throwing left of center at you as an insult in this context.

Entertainment is a reflection of what the people demanding it want.  To say entertainment has no reality based influence on people is silly.  Didn't you want to "Be Like Mike"? I did.  Did you buy a Baker jersey yet?  Music has an even bigger influence and audience.

Rap culture has had a huge impact on society.  The same with rock n roll.  I could argue that music made more hippies than the war did.  

I'm sure if there was a rap song about pedophilia you would be disgusted.  Why that changes for equally disgusting topics is......I don't know, you tell me.  It's still too prevalent to avoid.  

To find good music any more, digging is worth it.

Out of these you're bound to find something you like.  If not, then god help you.

On this one I have to side with Woody and Tia. It all really is a matter of taste, there's absolutely no way to rate anything by quality or art. Because art is in the mind of the beholder. And quality is 95% created in the studio. Whether it's The Wrecking Crew or today's hip hop producers. The artists are almost interchangeable except for a tiny fraction.

Do I personally hate this shit? No doubt. But that's why other Generations love it. A big part of rock and roll is offending not just your parents but your older brothers. Music , it's like the bagpipes the Scots used to go into battle with.  kind of an audio flag to mark your Generations territory. The Old Guard isn't supposed to love it even though many things will become part of the musical lexicon history in time.

From Vaudeville 2 Benny Goodman 2 Sinatra to  Elvis to the Kingston Trio to  to Frankie Avalon  to Dylan to The Beatles  to Hendrix to the doors, KC and the Sunshine Band, Motorhead, Metallica,Zep Punk grunge rap hippity hop actually the list goes on forever.

So even though I Revere some and despised some at the end of the day I have to admit that if a kid is wearing a set of headphones and Sweet Child O Mine is truly moving him then how is it any less valid than Beethoven's 9th?

WSS

34 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

At no point did I pick music to listen to based on what would piss off my parents ....

Maybe not consciously. But let's try a little self-awareness like you always urge others to. Just a few posts back you delighted in sticking it in the eye of the Boomers that there would be a rap halftime. Not because I assume you have anything against the who or Paul McCartney or whoever just as an act of hostility against that generation,  because it gets under their skin. I don't expect you to admit it.

We asserted ourselves, our generation, with long hair and weird clothing.

WSS

• Upvote 3

17903454_10158949965035725_3181251005684

The Failing New York Times, in one of the most devastating portrayals of bad journalism in history, got caught by a leaker that they are shifting from their Phony Russian Collusion Narrative (the Mueller Report & his testimony were a total disaster), to a Racism Witch Hunt. ”Journalism” has reached a new low in the history of our Country. It is nothing more than an evil propaganda machine for the Democrat Party. The reporting is so false, biased and evil that it has now become a very sick joke...But the public is aware!

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

To find good music any more, digging is worth it.

Out of these you're bound to find something you like.  If not, then god help you.

Monotone repetitious chanting with a rhythmic beat... it's just as easy to flip it and say that if anyone needs God's help it's you.

The only artistic value in rap is story telling/poetry.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Maybe not consciously. But let's try a little self-awareness like you always urge others to. Just a few posts back you delighted in sticking it in the eye of the Boomers that there would be a rap halftime. Not because I assume you have anything against the who or Paul McCartney or whoever just as an act of hostility against that generation,  because it gets under their skin. I don't expect you to admit it.

We asserted ourselves, our generation, with long hair and weird clothing.

WSS

The bolded was something in my line of thinking after reading your previous post.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

The bolded was something in my line of thinking after reading your previous post.

True enough. But you do see the link between generational rebellion and style and music right? 

And Woody just to be clear there is no genre of music that I universally despised, yes there are things in rap and hip-hop that I find interesting. That being said I probably more familiar with how old what more forms of music then you are. If for no other reason I've done this for a living for 50 years.

WSS

17 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

True enough. But you do see the link between generational rebellion and style and music right? 

And Woody just to be clear there is no genre of music that I universally despised, yes there are things in rap and hip-hop that I find interesting. That being said I probably more familiar with how old what more forms of music then you are. If for no other reason I've done this for a living for 50 years.

WSS

Ok? I'm not saying you don't. 

I'm just saying the music I choose to listen to was never influenced by some desire to rebel. 

no, no, no. I'm not cool like that old guy. I was more the guy who played the beatles at 78 rpm because it sounded like the 3 chipmunks.

and beach boys music on my eight track. and "Jeremiah was a bullfrog". I always liked country music, far more a while back, than now, for the most part.

this is GREAT MUSIC:

4 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

no, no, no. I'm not cool like that old guy. I was more the guy who played the beatles at 78 rpm because it sounded like the 3 chipmunks.

and beach boys music on my eight track. and "Jeremiah was a bullfrog". I always liked country music, far more a while back, than now, for the most part.

this is GREAT MUSIC:

Country and rap are both lowest common denominator music. 

music, to me, should tell a story. I don't have any use for rap. Just a lot of feigned? anger in rap.

telling a story is art. blabbing repetitive nonsense lyrics can be funny, but still, not anything enjoyable, imho.

17 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

music, to me, should tell a story. I don't have any use for rap. Just a lot of feigned? anger in rap.

telling a story is art. blabbing repetitive nonsense lyrics can be funny, but still, not anything enjoyable, imho.

You want rap that tells a story?  That's easy.  They're just shit stories.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Cal listened to two raps songs and determined all of rap is angry and the songs don't tell stories ...

Smh

another ignorant putdown? I was in the AF. for months, I was in an all black office. Listened to rap most of the time.

you should know by now you don't know much about anything.