THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns potential landing spot for Clowney?

Clevfan4life

"The one thing they’re missing is a running mate across Myles Garrett. By acquiring Clowney, they’d have two of the most physically talented prospects to come into the league this century, which counts for something."

clearly written by someone who has no idea the moves the browns have made on defense. I tjought this must be an old article but it isnt. 

9 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

The short of it is- we cant afford him. Clowney obviously wants Aaron Donald money.  We already have a ton of money, as was previously mentioned- already tied up in the d-line. I could possibly see the Colts as being interested. Ravens would be interested, but would have to do some fancy footwork with the cap. 

Plus, we just shipped one pouter off- to Houston no less, and I doubt Dorsey would be keen on bringing in another one to replace him.  

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The short of it is- we cant afford him. Clowney obviously wants Aaron Donald money.  We already have a ton of money, as was previously mentioned- already tied up in the d-line. I could possibly see the Colts as being interested. Ravens would be interested, but would have to do some fancy footwork with the cap. 

Plus, we just shipped one pouter off- to Houston no less, and I doubt Dorsey would be keen on bringing in another one to replace him.  

If we wanna spend Aaron Donald money.. I'm sure JD could could muster a plan to get AD here himself lol....

JD isnt giving up 1st rounders for clowney.....maybe months ago before we got Vernon. But hinestly, seeing vernons tape....im not sure id want clowney over him. Maybe months ago. so clowney wiuld have had csmp with usxand time to acclimate to clefeland....but right now, i wouldnt do a strsight up 1 to 1 trade with vernon for clowney. Vernon is a brown now and part ofvthe gelling lockeroom. 

only way id even consider trading anything for clowney is if he and garrett agreed to take slight cuts when their contracts came due. As it stands we have developing players that look to be solid once vernons done in 2 years

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

JD isnt giving up 1st rounders for clowney.....maybe months ago before we got Vernon. But hinestly, seeing vernons tape....im not sure id want clowney over him. Maybe months ago. so clowney wiuld have had csmp with usxand time to acclimate to clefeland....but right now, i wouldnt do a strsight up 1 to 1 trade with vernon for clowney. Vernon is a brown now and part ofvthe gelling lockeroom. 

only way id even consider trading anything for clowney is if he and garrett agreed to take slight cuts when their contracts came due. As it stands we have developing players that look to be solid once vernons done in 2 years

As they say- it's not that simple....  And it wouldn't cost a first round pick either according to the article. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Jadeveon-Clowney-Browns-Trade-134440398/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190814_131342_Cleveland Browns&utm_content=Image&liveconnect=CA-1F-A7-07-02-43-35-CA-71-7D-7D-AF-89-03-3E-6C190814_131342ClevelandBrowns

We get Clowney as a one year rent-a-player at $15 million. That $15 million will count against next years cap number, and we're already going to be up against the wall in 2020. So a trade for Clowney makes little sense.

Just hoping Gamblin' John isn't going to push all his chips in the middle of the table this season. Clowney = Super Bowl or bust this year, and we'll worry about 2020 when it gets here. Too soon to make that move. My POV. 

• Upvote 1

So our starting front 6 in the 4-2-5 would then be

Garrett / Ogunjobi / Richardson / Vernon / Clowney

and..... only one LB?  Sure, one of the 5 DL could drop, but I don't see this happening even before the cap considerations.

We would/should look at backup DI - although chad thomas / chris smith / coley seem to complete the roster pretty well if we carry only 7 DL.

1 minute ago, medicineman said:

Somebody already pointed out he is hurt a lot. The guy is good but very injury prone. 

I had bad info. After checking it seems he only missed like 3 games in the last 3 seasons, Did not miss any last season. But either way we can't afford him. Let Myles and the D we have do their thing. No worries 

5 hours ago, medicineman said:

I had bad info. After checking it seems he only missed like 3 games in the last 3 seasons, Did not miss any last season. But either way we can't afford him. Let Myles and the D we have do their thing. No worries 

With the guys we have now and throwing Avery at them on obvious passing downs, this will be one fun defense to watch.👍😍

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

With the guys we have now and throwing Avery at them on obvious passing downs, this will be one fun defense to watch.👍😍

right, clowney is superfluous. Id still like an extra DT but as far as DE goes....garrett, vernon and avery are the best edge rotation in football. Add smith and a developing thomas and ic no resson whstsoever for another edge. Honestly i doubt the author was aware olivier vernon is a brown and what we traded for him