THE BROWNS BOARD

The Scary Week of Practice

Orion

This week the Browns will practice a couple of times with / against the Colts.

I'm sure the coaches see the great value of this.  Seeing our guys against another team...and how they do or don't match up to other NFL talent.  But I'm just hoping we can get through it without losing anybody.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm sure the coaches see the great value of this.  Seeing our guys against another team...and how they do or don't match up to other NFL talent.  But I'm just hoping we can get through it without losing anybody.

These type of practice sessions are mostly with skirts on. No more risk than a normal practice for the most part. Except for wardrobe malfunctions...🏈

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Orion said:

Preach! 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I almost posted something similar. This late in TC, I fear those "headhunters" from another team's defense trying to save/obtain a roster spot at one of our key player's expense. Founded or not, I have that fear & I don't like those "2 team" practices/scrimmages.

Like Woody Hayes used to say about forward passes, "3 things can happen & 2 of 'em are bad".

Mike

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I almost posted something similar. This late in TC, I fear those "headhunters" from another team's defense trying to save/obtain a roster spot at one of our key player's expense. Founded or not, I have that fear & I don't like those "2 team" practices/scrimmages.

Like Woody Hayes used to say about forward passes, "3 things can happen & 2 of 'em are bad".

Mike

Indy got Takitaki to worry about

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Practice like a pussy, play like a pussy.

I hear ya!

I understand that the coaches tell their players not to overdo it., no touching the QB etc.....but guys are looking to make the team......in their minds, this is a great opportunity to show that they're better than the guy across from him.  And some of 'em are just excitable boys.  ;) 

20 hours ago, jcam222 said:

We all have Taki to worry about. He’s the kind of loose cannon that gets retribution from a Colts player. They better have his leash on tight. 

I think it’s pretty obvious that Kitchens wants our team to be extremely physical, and if I had to guess, he wasn’t too happy about the missed tackles last season.  To be honest, I didn’t see Kitchens as being this hard-nosed guy.  He seemed rather happy-go-lucky with his personality and teddy bear demeanor, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.  He’s running a no-nonsense, taxing, and grueling camp, and I hope that benefits our team. 

I also think that’s kind of why we brought somebody like Taki onto the team.  His style, when kept in check, will help influence our physicality.  He’s the kind of emotional fireplug that could really elevate our overall demeanor on the field, and I like him.  I’m actually thrilled to have him AND Mack Wilson, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Mack Wilson ends up being the steal of the entire draft.  Mack is known for his coverage skills, and his pick-6 last week was pretty amazing.  Not just the catch, but the ability to change directions and then take the ball to the house.  That one in practice where he caught the ball, rolled into a starting position, and then catapulted into first gear was one of the more incredible plays I’ve seen from a rookie, regardless if it was in camp or not. 

A high-flying offense is always fun for the highlights, but as we all know, the weather tends to get pretty crummy during the 4th quarter of the season, and we’re going to need all the physicality we can get if we’re going to get to the postseason. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

“You get tired of practicing against the same people,” Kitchens said. “This is a tremendous opportunity for us to get a little measuring stick as far as what we have been doing. Practicing against somebody else is always good. It changes the competition up.”

I knew the coaches would like it.

55 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Baker said exactly the same thing.

Apparently the first day went pretty well.  Not perfect as you'd expect, but the general feeling from our analysts was that it was dramatically different from years past when we'd go against teams like the Bills and come away thinking that we're in for a long season.  We didn't look out-toughed, and that's important to me.  It's also worth noting that Hunt looked extremely good and it's easy to forget just how talented that guy is, and although week 8 is a long ways off, he could be quite the shot in the arm if he takes care of his business.  

One thing that drives me crazy?  We apparently got down to the goal line and again got cute.  We didn't get the ball into the end zone and settled for 3, and it sounded like we tried to pass the ball into the pay-dirt instead of getting physical.  In fairness, it's quite possible that we were attempting to work on specific formations or timing of certain plays, but you'd really like to see us muscle up and get nasty instead of trying to get cute down there.  Of course, I actually remember similar scenarios in last year's preseason, only to see us come out and execute nicely with Hyde in short yardage, and our team as a whole was strangely efficient in the red zone...something we haven't seen in FOREVER.  So I'm not worried about it, just a random observation.  

Our analysts also said that the practice was another example of people being in awe of Baker Mayfield getting the ball out quickly and with command.  The phrase "the ball looks different coming out of his hand" was used again, and Baker's accuracy and arm strength combined with his decisiveness are something to behold.  

Since  I'll be  at the game  Saturday (it's a shorter drive  for  me to Indy than Cleveland) checked out  what  the  CIBB Central  Indiana  Browns Bakers were doing.  They had a significant  presence yesterday  and again  will  today  at the practices. Meeting  up with them before the  game  at one of  their  Tailgates.

EDIT: Found this....  https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-welcomed-by-plenty-of-their-own-fans-put-in-a-good-first-day-of-work-in-j

ALSO:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I don’t get why “scary”. This TC is different than the past few years when we had a head coach that didn’t feel that practice was necessary. And it showed in the record.  One reason that CBS has us in the playoffs this year. Are they right? Hope so but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I could be mistaken, but I think the OP was saying scary because of potential injuries.  At least, that's what I always worry about during both team practices and joint versions, LOL.  

However, after looking at the practice updates from Thursday and listening to some podcasts, I think fans should be extremely excited.  Multiple analysts made reference of the Browns setting the tone, not backing down, and looking like we belong against a team that made the playoffs last year AND won a game.  Now of course the Colts aren’t playing Andrew Luck, but it was nice to hear that our guys appeared physical, hungry, and evenly matched in various matchups throughout practice.

We have to take this information with a grain of salt, but our radio and podcast people said we looked like the superior team and they made multiple references that we appeared to set the tone throughout the day.  There were multiple skirmishes, including one bench-clearing incident, but I don’t believe anyone was hurt and cooler heads prevailed. 

Some stand out performers included Jaelen Strong at WR, and this is a guy who didn’t play football last year due to an ACL injury, and he’s making an extremely….well…”strong” case to make the team.  In fact, it sounds like he’s not only a lock to make the roster, he’s actually going to factor into our offense.  Strong caught just about everything threw his way and I keep hearing his name routinely after practices. 

Other standouts include Nick Chubb, who ripped off a 65 yard TD run after making one cut and smashing the gas.  Everyone was celebrating the run and the offensive line was ecstatic.  In the two minute drill, Baker connected to Landry multiple times, and I believe we finished this drive off with a TD, unlock Wednesday’s practice where we settled for 3.  Kush remains entrenched as the RG starter, Beckham didn’t practice again, and Landry only participated sparingly. 

Our defensive line starters have all been out there during both days, and I read they were “dominant”.  This is terrific to hear, and I really wish our entire offense was out there so they could get some time together.  Oh, Genard Avery is back full time and has looked impressive rushing the QB, and I also read that Kareem Hunt was impressive on Wednesday.  Overall, I’m happy with the practices and I’m so relieved to read that we looked like the more physical team out there. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I don’t get why “scary”. This TC is different than the past few years when we had a head coach that didn’t feel that practice was necessary. And it showed in the record.  One reason that CBS has us in the playoffs this year. Are they right? Hope so but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Well, stuff like this happens- but it just because it's against another team doesn't make it any more frequent....  Wasn't one of our guys fortunately. You can't put the players in bubble wrap, and looks like this may have been one of those non contact injuries that turns into a season ending one. BTW heard on Training Camp Daily Freddie is just about out of the NFLPA mandated max of 14 practices in pads. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/scary-moment-from-colts-browns-joint-practice-as-daurice-fountain-reportedly-dislocates-fractures-ankle/

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What is this I hear about Odell Beckham Jr. having a hip pointer is a result of having too much sex?

LOL, YOU should be so lucky....   If it was regular season, he'd be out there playing. 

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I could be mistaken, but I think the OP was saying scary because of potential injuries.  At least, that's what I always worry about during both team practices and joint versions, LOL.

That's it, in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

How do you know that I am not.

I mean, my arthritis, neuropathy, embolism, diabetes.....all the result of a lot of sex?  (or lack thereof).

Yeah, I tried to convince my wife I  had a prostate problem from underutilization. You guessed it. She didn't buy it and the surgeon reamed it out with a laser.😱

• Like 1

a old high school friend sent me a link from the colts..my friend was a writer for the Indy star when Peyton was a Colt..Phil now covers Indy car racing for the Star..our official***gameday thread stalker has nothing on this guy..  https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colts-preseason-preview-colts-browns-week-2    

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

a old high school friend sent me a link from the colts..my friend was a writer for the Indy star when Peyton was a Colt..Phil now covers Indy racing for the Star..our official***gameday thread stalker has nothing on this guy..  https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colts-preseason-preview-colts-browns-week-2    

Needed the local radio talking heads station before and after the game, WKNR seriously out of range..... But they may have done something there, upping their power output. Used to fade out before I got to Medina on the way back home, now I can usually get them as far as Columbus, and sometimes all the way to Dayton..... Some of the CIBB Tailgating a couple blocks from Lucas Oil. Great place to watch a game, but as usual going into enemy territory you have to deal with the occasional obnoxious Homer....  

16 minutes ago, hoorta said:

.. Some of the CIBB Tailgating a couple blocks from Lucas Oil. Great place to watch a game, but as usual going into enemy territory you have to deal with the occasional obnoxious Homer....  

Wear that Brown & Orange & they won't Matter :D..Enjoy the Game 🍷

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Wear that Brown & Orange & they won't Matter :D..Enjoy the Game 🍷

I'll have plenty of Orange Curacao for the Tailgate. bringing some of the Great Lakes Joe Thomas specials, and a bottle of Kenwood Chardonnay. That should about do it.  :)  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll have plenty of Orange Curacao for the Tailgate. bringing some of the Great Lakes Joe Thomas specials, and a bottle of Kenwood Chardonnay. That should about do it.  :)  

send Zombo a bottle as he tries to open the Tavern before the weekend..🏗️ were still under re-construction & wheres the bouncer Marko 👮‍♂️ Fife been?   

3 hours ago, Icecube said:

The CBA almost forces them to practice soft. 

It's funny, I kind of thought that too, but apparently our version of camp is no laughing matter. Obviously I can't speak for ALL Browns fans, but I know enough that desperately want a TOUGH, PHYSICAL team, and we simply haven't had that. Now, I get the feeling that toughness and physicality are what we're hanging our hat on, and that's what it'll take to beat the Ravens and Steelers. Newspapers like to report on the dangers of our passing attack, but the real power of our offense will likely come from the ground, especially after the weather turns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Phil now covers Indy car racing

That's my favorite brand of auto racing.  I also enjoy IMSA (and the Corvette team).

43 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Newspapers like to report on the dangers of our passing attack, but the real power of our offense will likely come from the ground, especially after the weather turns. 

If your QB has a decently strong arm, then the weather doesn't keep you from kicking ass with the pass.  The Patriots have set passing records in snow storms.  The QB & the receiver know where they're going.  The DB has to guess right.  That said, you HAVE TO be able to run, half decent anyway, in ANY weather.

Just now, jiggins7919 said:

It's funny, I kind of thought that too, but apparently our version of camp is no laughing matter. Obviously I can't speak for ALL Browns fans, but I know enough that desperately want a TOUGH, PHYSICAL team, and we simply haven't had that. Now, I get the feeling that toughness and physicality are what we're hanging our hat on, and that's what it'll take to beat the Ravens and Steelers. Newspapers like to report on the dangers of our passing attack, but the real power of our offense will likely come from the ground, especially after the weather turns. 

I hear you. If the Browns establish a rushing attack, the passing game will be lethal. If they can find a way to keep the rush going (Chubb stays healthy) until week 10, Hunt comes in, and look out. Most all good teams can get down and dirty with the run, even if they have potent passing. Pats just kept rushing in the Super Bowl run 2018. Elway won nothing until he had a running game (TD). Browns need to be tough. Got to.