THE BROWNS BOARD

Chad Thomas hurt in practice

cdspencer79

What happened at Cleveland Browns training camp Day 14

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/08/f3e3dbd3976673/what-happened-at-cleveland-browns-training-camp-day-14.html

BEREA, Ohio — Chad Thomas threw a big scare into the Browns on Monday when he was immobilized and carted out of practice.

But further tests at University Hospitals revealed a sprained neck and he was back at the facility by 5 p.m. He’s listed as day-to-day.

Monday marked the last practice in Berea for a week. The Browns will travel to Westfield, Ind., for practices against the Colts on Wednesday and Thursday, and face them in the second preseason game Saturday afternoon at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Browns had all of their starting defensive linemen on the field for the first time since July 29. Sheldon Richardson (abdomen) returned to team drills for the first time since then, joining Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi and Olivier Vernon, who have all missed time with injuries.

New tight end Rico Gathers caught a 10-yard pass from Drew Stanton in a goal line drill.

“I wanted to see what the new guy could do,’’ Freddie Kitchens said. “I wanted to see what the O-line could do. I wanted to see what our defensive line and linebackers could do and what our tight ends could do. Everybody is involved.’’

Odell Beckham Jr. was held out of team drills again, but Jarvis Landry participated fully. Defensive end Anthony Zettel returned to practice from an injury and made a nice stop on the goal line.

Greg Joseph went 5-for-5 in field goal drills and Austin Seibert went 4-for-5, sailing a 43-yarder wide right.

The following players did not practice today due to injury WR Antonio Callaway (ankle), T.J. Carrie (hamstring), TE Seth DeValve (concussion), C Kyle Kalis (concussion), TE David Njoku (knee), DE Jarrell Owens (groin), DT Brian Price (concussion), WR Damion Ratley (hamstring) and CB Tavierre Thomas (hamstring).

Here are some defensive observations from camp.

Here are some offensive observations.

Here’s more of what you need to know.

1. Chad Thomas carted off field

3dd_14brownsjk28copy.jpeg

Chad Thomas is taken off the field after a neck injury in 11-on-11 during day 14 of training camp, August 12, 2019, in Berea. (John Kuntz, cleveland.com)

Thomas will likely make the trip to Indiana despite his sprained neck, a team spokesman said. The sight of Thomas carted off drained the life out of practice with about 45 minutes remaining.

“It does,’’ said Kitchens. “In our game, that’s reality. Sometimes that happens during the course of the game. Mentally, we have to keep moving forward. 

"The protocol from anything like that is sometimes it looks worse than it is – not to make any light of it; it is a serious nature – but (VP, Player Health and Development) Joe (Sheehan) and his staff did everything to protocol to make sure that there was no damage done after the fact.”

Thomas is battling for playing time behind Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon in the end rotation.  

2. Freddie Kitchens says his tough camp is a culture shock

550_14brownsjk25copy.jpeg

Freddie Kitchens calls a play in the huddle in 11-on-11 during day 14 of training camp, August 12, 2019, in Berea. (John Kuntz, cleveland.com)

Kitchens has put his players in pads 11 times in 14 practices and has no plans for shorts anytime soon. The Browns will practice in pads both times against the Colts.

“This has been a pretty tough camp for these guys,’’ he said. “I think it’s been kind of a culture shock, but I think they’ve embraced it. We have a lot of guys that are willing to pay the price. We understand that now. A lot of guys have bought in to what we’re trying to do.’’

He noted that “this is the time that you have to build some of that toughness. This is a tough game played by tough people. Sometimes you have to look inside yourself and make sure that you’re tough. Sometimes you have to demonstrate that to realize that you are.’’

3. Browns prepare to head to Indianapolis

6a7_12mmssjg32.jpeg

Odell Beckham Jr. during the 14th day of training camp. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

Kitchens has several objectives for the joint practices.

“I want to see how we react to going on the road for the first time,’’ he said. “It’s just simply you’re sleeping in a hotel in a different city, you’re playing against different people and you’re practicing against different people. Just that aspect in itself can go a long way to giving you practice when we travel.

“We travel the second game of the year. Everything surrounding it, I don’t have any problem with the competition. The competition is going to be there. If it’s not, we have some of the wrong people. What I’m looking forward to is how do we respond to distractions. Well, hell, let’s see how we do under some distractions.”  

He cautioned that his players will have to pay if they fight vs. the Colts.

“If we start practicing penalties, there are consequences,’’ he said.

4. Jarvis Landry on Antonio Callaway

b90_12mmssjg09.jpeg

Jarvis Landry catches a pass during the 14th day of training camp. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

Jarvis Landry says Antonio Callaway has his full support despite being suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

“As players we stand behind Antonio,’’ he said. “We’re here for him. Whenever he wants to talk, we talk to him."

He noted, “the kid has all the abilities. He has all of the tools to be a guy that can make plays at a high level. He has the speed, the catching ability, the route-running, all of those things. If we can get that altogether, he’s going to be a hell of a player.’’

5. Big TD from Baker to Rashard Higgins

d0e_12mmssjg35.jpeg

Rashard Higgins catches a pass from Baker Mayfield against Cleveland Browns safety Jermaine Whitehead and runs for a touchdown during the 14th day of training camp. (Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com)

The special chemistry between Baker Mayfield and Rashard Higgins has carried over into this season. Higgins caught the 24-yard TD pass in the Redskins’ game on that first drive and then a 49-yard score in practice Monday when Denzel Ward fell. 

“He made a lot of plays last year that I can still remember,’’ said Landry. “He made plays out there today. He’s been making plays throughout training camp. He’s definitely a guy that’s going to have to help us. And he’s going to make plays and we trust and know that and if Baker has the trust in him, he has the confidence in himself to be able to make the plays when he’s called.’’

18 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Eat shit sicko. 

how bout not being a pos asshole? especially when it comes to players who wear the orange and brown.

and fyi he was looking likely to being 2nd team DE. Kid is a talent...ask tiamat. I needed like 2 plsys to see that kid has real potential....he's not starter material yet but he will be, either here or somewhere else. Its zettel who's likely gone.

13 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

how bout not being a pos asshole? especially when it comes to players who wear the orange and brown.

and fyi he was looking likely to being 2nd team DE. Kid is a talent...ask tiamat. I needed like 2 plsys to see that kid has real potential....he's starter material yet but he will be, either here or somewhere else. Its zettel who's likely gone.

I know  who you were referring to.

Name calling on the virtually unmoderated Political Forum is tolerated, but its getting  old  over here. It adds nothing to the  conversation. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I know  who you were referring to.

Name calling on the virtually unmoderated Political Forum is tolerated, but its getting  old  over here. It adds nothing to the  conversation. 

yeah i.dont know how someone gets to the point where seeing one of ours get stretchered off tge field elicits a "gahh he was gon get cut anyway" response.