THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Sunday

The Gipper

Unusual for me to do this on a Sunday...but here goes.   Give your opinions/answers.

1. Name one guy on the Browns that you either had no clue about...or who you did not think had a chance to stick with the team that now seems to be a highly possible keeper?   (I think I know most of your answers to this one)

2. Name the one guy on the Browns who had a disappointing showing in that first preseason game....or one area of concern for this team.

3. Is there any position that you think the Browns should go out and get a guy to augment what they have on the current roster? 

4. Who should be the backup QB on this team?

5.  50 years ago this summer was an eventful period....each of the following, which perhaps still resonate to this day occurred:   The Moon Landing.   The Manson Murders.  Woodstock.  The Stonewall Riots.  Chappaquidick.  The Cuyahoga River catches fire leading to the Clean Air and Water acts and the creation of the EPA. Brian Jones drowns.  Hurricane Camille hits the USA (perhaps only second to Katrina in damage caused). Muhammed Ali convicted of draft evasion.  Chicago 8 trial begins.  Star Trek (original) last episode airs.  The famous Beatles Abbey Road photo is taken.

Tell what you were doing in the summer of 1969...if you were alive and old enough to remember. Or, if not....state which of these events most resonates with you from an historical perspective.

Unusual for me to do this on a Sunday...but here goes.   Give your opinions/answers.

My own answers.

1. Name one guy on the Browns that you either had no clue about...or who you did not think had a chance to stick with the team that now seems to be a highly possible keeper?   (I think I know most of your answers to this one)

Of course, the one guy that may fit this bill is Guissepe  Sheehy...or is it Sheehy Guissepe?  It helps that he had one shining moment at what I believe is a position of serious need for the team: PR/KR.

2. Name the one guy on the Browns who had a disappointing showing in that first preseason game....or one area of concern for this team.

This is sort of a combined answer:   Hilliard seemed to give a disappointing performance...little yardage and fumbling.   But a question I have to ask:  Is the run blocking capability of our OL  all that it should be?  So that could be the area of concern.

3. Is there any position that you think the Browns should go out and get a guy to augment what they have on the current roster? 

Well...going along with above....maybe now that Duke is gone, a backup RB ....and maybe  OL depth? And could the Browns actually consider bringing in another WR now that Callaway is suspended?  (If they are not fully happy with the other backups we have?

I think it will end up being Gilbert...with Stanton as 3rd string.

And then that brings up this question:  Has any NFL team had both their first and 2d string QBs come from the same high school?  Because that would be the case with  Baker and Gilbert. 

5.  50 years ago this summer was an eventful period....each of the following, which perhaps still resonate to this day occurred:   The Moon Landing.   The Manson Murders.  Woodstock.  The Stonewall Riots.  Chappaquidick.  The Cuyahoga River catches fire leading to the Clean Air and Water acts and the creation of the EPA. Brian Jones drowns.  Hurricane Camille hits the USA (perhaps only second to Katrina in damage caused). Muhammed Ali convicted of draft evasion.  Chicago 8 trial begins.  Star Trek (original) last episode airs.  The famous Beatles Abbey Road photo is taken.

Tell what you were doing in the summer of 1969...if you were alive and old enough to remember. Or, if not....state which of these events most resonates with you from an historical perspective.

I was between junior and senior year in high school.  Most of these events are at current, really just interesting historical/cultural events that had no currency with today's world, though they are great items of nostalgia.

But...there IS one event that is absolutely major to what the world is like today, compared to then...and it is not the moon Landing. (and I really just want to be historical with these...not political)

No....it really WAS the Cuyahoga River fire.   For those of you who are young....you likely  could NOT imagine what a mess this country was back then with pollution.  Not just the Cuyahoga river that was a floating landfill for industry.  Most rivers in America were similar, maybe not as bad, but a lot of them were in fact a stinking mess.  And industry belched smoke, toxins and everything. The skies above Cleveland and Akron were a grey cloud of poison.  They really were. Lake Erie was a mess. (you would not really want to fish from it)  And garbage dumps were everywhere and not controlled, so the land was polluted too....a lot of which seeped into the water table.  Now....98% of all that shit has been cleaned up. The water, the air...is so much better now than it was then.

So, while a lot of those things to you younger folks are just interesting historical curiosities....that river fire lead to events that really improve the life you live today.

The second most impactful event of that summer that is still an issue today: The Stonewall Riots...which started the movement to recognize LGBTQ rights. (which..if you haven't noticed, is talked about a lot these days.)

Perhaps 3rd...is the Muhammed Ali case, which really highlighted the concept of "conscientious objector".  Of course, something that you younger folks have never had to worry about was that thing called the "Selective Service Draft".  Well, people of my age did...and there are a few of us out here that had that hanging over us. That case may have helped lead to the discontinuation of the draft. 

Won't answer all of them Gipper,  I'm a few years older than you. We had to get a book as a gift for a Baby Shower, and I saw a 50th Anniversary commemorative Woodstock book, had to buy it. Haven't had much time to read it with the bike riding this summer, but a couple of historical tidbits about the concert. If you actually bought a ticket- it was $24 bucks for all three days. 

Here's the list of the groups (or individuals) who got an invite, but declined. The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and John Lennon. LOL that would have been a pretty good concert right there. My good pal is a "Rusty" a major Neil Young fan, and set me straight previously why Neil certainly played at Woodstock, but wasn't in the movie. You had to give permission, and Young wasn't about to give it. In fact from the book- Neil told the filming crew on stage- "If you put a camera on me, I'm gonna hit you over the head with my guitar".  

Finally, Joni Mitchell who wrote and composed the Woodstock tune and gave it to CS&N- wasn't at Woodstock. 

Regarding the Cuyahoga River on fire. I worked down in the Flats from 1969 to 1972.  Easy to understand why the river caught on fire. The place I was working at- it wasn't unusual to see a stream of creosote oil (for those not chemical savvy) that's the stuff used to treat telephone poles to make them insect proof- running downhill towards  the river.  When Republic Steel next door fired up their BOF (Basic Oxygen Furnace) It sent a mushroom cloud of red iron dust a couple hundred feet in the air.  Their Coke Plant- not drug related :D (turns coal into coke to fire up the blast furnaces), needless to say it burns really hot. If the wind was in the right direction, the fallout from that process would eat through the wax job on your car in an afternoon. Think I mentioned elsewhere once. I was really popular at psychedelic parties- the stuff I was working with in the lab made me glow a faint green when I was under a Black Light. Probably will shorten my life by a decade.  

Ticotaco

TE will need to be more productive

OL

From the same HS as Baker I'd have to go with Gilbert Grape.

5. Tell what you were doing in the summer of 1969...if you were alive and old enough to remember. Or, if not....state which of these events most resonates with you from an historical perspective.

Completing my degree in August and getting ready to report to Infantry Officers Basic in Ft. Benning that Sept. (both were historic events🤣).

Manson murders were used by Jeffery MacDonald to murder his own family in Ft. Bragg early 1970, claiming it was hippies that did it. He's run out of appeals and still in federal prison where he belongs. Has a parole hearing scheduled in 2020.

From an article I found, "They say he used his wife’s blood to write the word “PIG” over their bed to mimic the Charles Manson murders six months earlier. "

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Completing my degree in August and getting ready to report to Infantry Officers Basic in Ft. Benning that Sept. (both were historic events🤣).

Manson murders were used by Jeffery MacDonald to murder his own family in Ft. Bragg early 1970, claiming it was hippies that did it. He's run out of appeals and still in federal prison where he belongs. Has a parole hearing scheduled in 2020.

From an article I found, "They say he used his wife’s blood to write the word “PIG” over their bed to mimic the Charles Manson murders six months earlier. "

He's lucky he's even eligible for parole.  Federal prisoners don't get parole any longer, only 'good time'.

November 1, 1987

Under the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984, Congress eliminated parole for federaldefendants convicted of crimes committed after November 1, 1987. But while federal prisoners can no longer look forward to parole release, they may nevertheless earn reduced terms for good behavior.

Deveroe Lawrence impressed me the other night.

Not much to speak of on the offensive line once we get past the starters.

Backup RB, Backup OL

Stanton

I was five. I remember the moon landing and the hurricane. I remember the hubbub about Chappaquidick, but it is not something you understand until you are older. The Manson murders I learned about when "Helter Skelter" came out. Woodstock I learned about as I got older. Didn't find out about the river on fire until later (not from Cleveland). Big Stones fan now, didn't know Brian Jones then. Followed Ali, remember the controversy. Too young to understand Chicago 8 or Stonewall riots. I remember staring at the Abbey Road picture on my sister's album. I thought Star Trek was gay even then.

Zombo

1. Chad Thomas - backup DE will be important as rotation/injuries hit

2. I wanted to see more better play from our friend Corbett.

3. Churn the bottom of the roster -- we need better ST coverage play compared to last year.

4. We need more fruit-based humor regarding Gilbert.

5. In 1969 I was -8 years old, and my dad was working at Ft.Monmouth NJ developing the first generation of whip antennas put on Army helicopters.

Project Apollo gave us a whole shitload of medical technology. And computer technology. Everything had to shrink. And communication technology. No space program, no Browns board. 

I always thought the burning river was just a big burgher roast. That was stealer week wasn’t it?

They should get a real FB. 

Summer of 69? Playing baseball and mowing lawns

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Project Apollo gave us a whole shitload of medical technology. And computer technology. Everything had to shrink. And communication technology. No space program, no Browns board. 

I always thought the burning river was just a big burgher roast. That was stealer week wasn’t it?

They should get a real FB. 

Summer of 69? Playing baseball and mowing lawns

When you walk through the  Air Force Museum and see those Mercury and Apollo  capsules (there's a cutaway Mercury capsule) you get to thinking  those astronauts risked their  lives flying in that junk? Your cellphone has more  computing  power than  NASA's  mainframes  of the 60s.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

When you walk through the  Air Force Museum and see those Mercury and Apollo  capsules (there's a cutaway Mercury capsule) you get to thinking  those astronauts risked their  lives flying in that junk? Your cellphone has more  computing  power than  NASA's  mainframes  of the 60s.

In actuality, the computer power in Apollo 11 was equal to a basic calculator. A bit faster than a slide rule