THE BROWNS BOARD

What did we think of Hilliard in game 1

Orion

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I’d say Dorsey brings in a vet soon. I’d keep an eye out for Charkandrick West. 

Possible, but that's depends more upon how D'Ernest "The Other" Johnson continues to show. He had a nice little Game 1... if it continues then any vet additions can be put off until after final cuts. Even into the season if we have three healthy backs rostered.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

any vet additions can be put off until after final cuts. Even into the season

...what He said.

We signed the guys that we have for a reason.  We have to see them enough to be sure about them....one way or the other.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Possible, but that's depends more upon how D'Ernest "The Other" Johnson continues to show. He had a nice little Game 1... if it continues then any vet additions can be put off until after final cuts. 

D'Ernest Johnson also did KO & Punt returns at South Fla..and As the ACC watcher 👀 this guy got late touches with some nice burst..hope to see more.. why are we looking for another FB? a 6'2" 233'er that can run 4.37  https://caneswarning.com/2019/03/25/miami-hurricanes-pro-day-early-analysis-trayone-gray-has-blazing-40/       i don't think we keep one? but we may, beef up a FB on PS?

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

why are we looking for another FB? a 6'2" 233'er that can run 4.37  https://caneswarning.com/2019/03/25/miami-hurricanes-pro-day-early-analysis-trayone-gray-has-blazing-40/

Yeah.  I WOULD like to see more of that guy.  He had 2 carries for 16 yards. (#43)

12 hours ago, medicineman said:

Not sure he would of been as good as Duke would of been as a split end.

Agree with this... I always felt Duke was underutilized in this role... especially in 2017 when our WR corps was nothing to brag about.

Now? Really is no need for him in that role.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna get myself in trouble here but I thought Johnson looked better than Hunt (who doesn't need to be sharp until November).

The good news is between Johnson and Hilliard, it looks like they can both play well in the offense and on STs if given the chance.  We'll be okay.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:43 PM, gumby73 said:

D'Ernest Johnson also did KO & Punt returns at South Fla..and As the ACC watcher 👀 this guy got late touches with some nice burst..hope to see more.. why are we looking for another FB? a 6'2" 233'er that can run 4.37  https://caneswarning.com/2019/03/25/miami-hurricanes-pro-day-early-analysis-trayone-gray-has-blazing-40/       i don't think we keep one? but we may, beef up a FB on PS?

Nice job with that Gumbs!  I read this thread from back to front so I didn't realize you already took care of where where Johnson played college ball. I thought Gray broke some tackles and moved the pile pretty well against Washington.  If he can blaze at that size like you show above - he might stick around especially if he's good on STs.  I'll have to pay more attention to how well he blocks.

Another thing he has going for him is the appreciation our FO (Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith in particular) has for the U as the inventory of camp bodies from that program clearly illustrates. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I'm gonna get myself in trouble here but I thought Johnson looked better than Hunt (who doesn't need to be sharp until November).

The good news is between Johnson and Hilliard, it looks like they can both play well in the offense and on STs if given the chance.  We'll be okay.

How many times did Hunt run the ball?  Once or twice is all I can recall.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:36 PM, Orion said:

I never understood the thinking of turning Duke into a WR.  Fortunately, Dorsey went out and got 'real' WR's.

Probably said the same thing about Bobby Mitchell... :P ...

Didn't need to turn him into one... he already had the tools. Just needed to use him as one. Better than him getting splinters in his ass.

Great hands + ability to adjust to the ball + best in the open field + strength (< Average for a RB; > average for a WR)