THE BROWNS BOARD

Defensive observations from tonights game...

Clevfan4life

1) myles...omg. His most impressive play might be overlooked by his jail breaks where the OL had to hold him, his lateral pursuit on the first handoff...jesus christ. 

2) We are fucking ridiculously fast. We are not a tiny defense either...these guys are bulls, but something was done in the offseason with the weight training or so.ething. I know its preseason and u can argue the redskins were in preseason mode....but people in preseason are still moving fast just not engaging in alot of point contact. The redskins werd overwhelmed by our front 7's speed. The refs could have thrown a holding flag on almost every play.

3) Chris Smith is dialed...dude obviously partook in the offseason weight program. Trimmed up with what looks like 10 extra lbs of muscle. Chad Thomas also looks good but he didnt get any reps against the 1's like Smith did. I wonder what happened to Vernon?

4) While our def looks quick...i hope wilks brings up a spy for those games against running qb freaks...cause that 2 lb'er set leaves alot of open space up the middle. Im not "worried"..cause the staff isnt going to show everything in preseason, but it is something im going to be keenly looking at. 

5) im filling in more pts as im watching the tape., greedy comihg up on the edge and shin wrapping the RB....at 185lbs. "Nice"

6) mack wilson might be alleviating my concerns about losing jamie. His lateral pursuit is elite

• Upvote 2

I was thinking throughout how good they looked and wondered how much was from chasing the BROWNS receivers and running backs....it had to help.

Second I was wondering how they would look vs their division.   :)

Fun game to watch.

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I was thinking throughout how good they looked and wondered how much was from chasing the BROWNS receivers and running backs....it had to help.

Second I was wondering how they would look vs their division.   :)

Fun game to watch.

i was looking for how the 2nd string DT's look....Laurence looks good. But it was 2nd team reps.

Wilson and Greedy looked promising. Lawrence and Davis played well. I saw problems with our DE, RB, safety depth. It was a good showing all around.

Jimmy Moreland had 5 tackles 3 pass defended and 2 forced fumbles do you guys remember certain people criticizing my evaluation of him because he went in the 7th? Shhh

49 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Wilson and Greedy looked promising. Lawrence and Davis played well. I saw problems with our DE, RB, safety depth.

Yes, Wilson and Greedy look very promising. Especially Greedy...kid stepped up against the 1's and made an edge tackle on the RB...textbook tackle for a small DB, wrapped up the shins. Browns obviously made sure he understood what happened to Ward last year. As for the DE depth, who were you not happy with? Smith looked excellent against the 1's and Chad Thomas actually looks like "potential" starter material. Dude held his edge stout and his pass rushing moves...oh my goodness. He has this inside slap ala Reggie White...i'd like to see if it works against starters. 

I was disappointed we didn't get to see Genard or Vernon at all. Im very optimistic tho about our D line depth. Smith and Thomas look like a lock to me....I wonder how Genard is going to be designated on the final roster..as DE or LB'er. But we seem to the kind of defensive depth that says "super bowl" if that depth is managed right. It would have been nice to pick up 3rd main DT...but Laurence and Coley flashed tonight so who knows. Taki and Wilson....I mean.....yeah it's early but fuck those kids are making some plays. I just hope we can keep all these guys. 

About Wilson....if I was Wilks I would bring him in a lot as a 3rd LB'er cause of his range. I know Wilks likes the 2 lb'er set but get that kid on the field if we're playing a team with like a huge athletic TE. 

15 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Yes, Wilson and Greedy look very promising. Especially Greedy...kid stepped up against the 1's and made an edge tackle on the RB...textbook tackle for a small DB, wrapped up the shins. Browns obviously made sure he understood what happened to Ward last year. As for the DE depth, who were you not happy with? Smith looked excellent against the 1's and Chad Thomas actually looks like "potential" starter material. Dude held his edge stout and his pass rushing moves...oh my goodness. He has this inside slap ala Reggie White...i'd like to see if it works against starters. 

I was disappointed we didn't get to see Genard or Vernon at all. Im very optimistic tho about our D line depth. Smith and Thomas look like a lock to me....I wonder how Genard is going to be designated on the final roster..as DE or LB'er. But we seem to the kind of defensive depth that says "super bowl" if that depth is managed right. It would have been nice to pick up 3rd main DT...but Laurence and Coley flashed tonight so who knows. Taki and Wilson....I mean.....yeah it's early but fuck those kids are making some plays. I just hope we can keep all these guys. 

About Wilson....if I was Wilks I would bring him in a lot as a 3rd LB'er cause of his range. I know Wilks likes the 2 lb'er set but get that kid on the field if we're playing a team with like a huge athletic TE. 

We already know what we have in Smith, a decent rotation guy. Thomas is very raw/inconsistent so I would not be comfortable with him forced into snaps. We should be able to find some roster casualties before the season starts. 

20 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

i was looking for how the 2nd string DT's look....Laurence looks good. But it was 2nd team reps.

like most the media I've read today...rookie DL coach Tosh Lupoi from Alabama has not been mentioned all day..did not matter if it was the ones or the 4th team.Skins had no answers but to hold us up front.It was nice to see that D front play with some Tosh emotion all night..unit number did not matter

5 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

We already know what we have in Smith, a decent rotation guy. Thomas is very raw/inconsistent so I would not be comfortable with him forced into snaps. We should be able to find some roster casualties before the season starts. 

1) Smith imo was an above avg rotation guy last year. There was prob a good reason why he started opp myles last night, Vernon obviously having the night off for some reason. But he still started infront of thomas and avery....who btw was suited up but didnt play, no idea why

2) Thomas is looking like serious starter material in the next year or so. Our depth at DE is ludicrous. Tiamat was talkingbthe guy up in his training camp thread abd now i know why. Dude is strong, fast and slready has better pass rushing moves, both with power and edge speed, than ogbah showed in 3 years. 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, Louisville Slugger said:

Wilson and Greedy looked promising. Lawrence and Davis played well. I saw problems with our DE, RB, safety depth. It was a good showing all around.

Jimmy Moreland had 5 tackles 3 pass defended and 2 forced fumbles do you guys remember certain people criticizing my evaluation of him because he went in the 7th? Shhh

Some good points made.  That said, we're only 2 weeks into Training Camp so we didn't see some starters with big expectations.  Some of the errors came via lack of communication and inexperience. 

I don't remember who criticized your evaluation but it looks like you bet on a good horse (Moreland) in round 7.  I'm intrigued with our 7th round rookie CB Donnie Lewis Jr.  When our 1st 4 corners are Ward, Williams, Mitchell and Carrie though - it's not too hard to trust the feller bringing in the CBs here.  And how about that 5th round LBer that gave us 2 INTs and a TD?  

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Some good points made.  That said, we're only 2 weeks into Training Camp so we didn't see some starters with big expectations.  Some of the errors came via lack of communication and inexperience. 

I don't remember who criticized your evaluation but it looks like you bet on a good horse (Moreland) in round 7.  I'm intrigued with our 7th round rookie CB Donnie Lewis Jr.  When our 1st 4 corners are Ward, Williams, Mitchell and Carrie though - it's not too hard to trust the feller bringing in the CBs here.  And how about that 5th round LBer that gave us 2 INTs and a TD?  

Im not going to pretend I was all over Moreland, but I thought he was a good value pick late. I was critical of the Takitaki and Redwine picks and some people got butt hurt. With how the draft played out I actually gave it a pretty good grade because if you swapped where Wilson and Takitaki were picked it looks good. I'm still not a huge fan of the Redwine pick because I thought there were better players available. (Dionte Thompson, Rodney Anderson, DeMarcus Christmas, and Jimmy Moreland) It was a mid round pick so I get gambling on athleticism.

With that said I am really worried about the safety position. I think Randall is solid, Morgan is ok, but there is nothing behind them. Whitehead looked bad we have to find an upgrade.

12 hours ago, Flugel said:

And how about that 5th round LBer that gave us 2 INTs and a TD?  

He learned that stiffarm move to plant Haskins at the 7 from his ole buddy Henry.😜 Switched the ball to the right and planted him with the left. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I doubt that he and Henry even played on the team together 

I made that up. But he did watch Henry when in HS and was recruited by Bama as an excellent fast, big RB similar to Henry, then converted to LB with great speed/hands. He's like having a better, bigger, faster version of Peppers to play close to the LOS, but fantastic at covering TE and RB on passing plays over the middle or downfield. I predict he is the starter before the season is half done, maybe even by opening KO. And I'm not sure why we need a FB. He could easily do that 3-4 plays a game.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, Louisville Slugger said:

Im not going to pretend I was all over Moreland, but I thought he was a good value pick late. I was critical of the Takitaki and Redwine picks and some people got butt hurt. With how the draft played out I actually gave it a pretty good grade because if you swapped where Wilson and Takitaki were picked it looks good. I'm still not a huge fan of the Redwine pick because I thought there were better players available. (Dionte Thompson, Rodney Anderson, DeMarcus Christmas, and Jimmy Moreland) It was a mid round pick so I get gambling on athleticism.

With that said I am really worried about the safety position. I think Randall is solid, Morgan is ok, but there is nothing behind them. Whitehead looked bad we have to find an upgrade.

I'll start with the good GOOD and there was plenty of it on Defense.  Our defense was FLYING off the ball.  They made Washington's offensive line look like a bunch of mannequins,  There was a lot of hustle and intensity that seemed infectious out there.  I saw some very good instincts getting our young LBers where they needed to be consistently.  Mack Wilson has changed the football wood factor in here from balsa to sequoia while there's a lotta likey-likey for TakiTaki.  I'm pumped up about both guys.  They seem like ideal students of the game.  If I had to nitpick, I'd like to see Taki Taki come under control a little better before he attempts to tackle someone because he ran by some tackles and attempted to arm tackle. While I applaud the hustle - I'd like him to have something to show for it at the end of the play. It's stuff he'll be able to improve with time. All that said, it was his very 1st NFL experience at a position there is so much to learn.

You summed up my feelings about Safety extremely well LS.  Murray got baked on that first scoring drive.  I haven't seen enough of Morgan to know if he still has it or not.  It was only a limited 1st observation; but I wasn't impressed with Whitehead and Redwine.  This defense has a lot of speed and talent in it so playing Safety shouldn't look difficult IMO.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He learned that stiffarm move to plant Haskins at the 7 from his ole buddy Henry.😜 Switched the ball to the right and planted him with the left. 

Or, he could have learned grabbers get stiff armed when he was a RB in high school Aggies.  My only question is did he do that to Haskins or Mingo?  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I'll start with the good GOOD and there was plenty of it on Defense.  Our defense was FLYING off the ball.  They made Washington's offensive line look like a bunch of mannequins,  There was a lot of hustle and intensity that seemed infectious out there.  I saw some very good instincts getting our young LBers where they needed to be consistently.  Mack Wilson has the changed the football wood factor in here from balsa to sequoia while there's a lotta likey-likey for TakiTaki.  I'm pumped up about both guys.  They seem like ideal students of the game.  If I had to nitpick, I'd like to see Taki Taki come under control a little better before he attempts to tackle someone because he ran by some tackles and attempted to arm tackle. While I applaud the hustle - I'd like him to have something to show for it at the end of the play. It's stuff he'll be able to improve with time. All that said, it was his very 1st NFL experience at a position there is so much to learn.

I’d agree with this Takitaki takey. He’s like a ‘69 Dodge Superbee. Plenty of motor, not enough brake.

Takitaki's NFL.com draft profile

The first two listed weaknesses are what we've been talking about in this thread.  They're not "Just Because He's A Rookie" -- that's how he's always played the position.

So, I don't have the optimism of Flugel here:

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

It's stuff he'll be able to improve with time.

Maybe.  If so, good pick....... If not, waste of a pick because he's then only a backup/ST player.  You know: Exactly where the pre-draft analysis pegged him...

Mack Wilson, of course, looks like a starter immediately.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Takitaki's NFL.com draft profile

The first two listed weaknesses are what we've been talking about in this thread.  They're not "Just Because He's A Rookie" -- that's how he's always played the position.

So, I don't have the optimism of Flugel here:

Maybe.  If so, good pick....... If not, waste of a pick because he's then only a backup/ST player.  You know: Exactly where the pre-draft analysis pegged him...

Who talked about Takitaki's weaknesses in this thread?  I see an inventory of zero. And where did the pre-draft analyses peg Tom Brady as a QB in the NFL? 

Did I or didn't I point out the flaw I saw with Takitaki's tackling?   In fact, I also saw it on film after we drafted him so if you noticed the LBer I posted my excitement for throughout April and beyond - was Wilson.  For example, I put film of Mack Wilson in 3 different threads I participated in throughout April and May alone. I don't remember showing much film of Takitaki if any.

Me and you aren't wired the same.  I do enjoy your passion and what you contribute most of the time.  That said, my walk with the sport was to learn and self evaluate using film so it's the way I do it.  While you'd rather have a draft report or PFF give you the tell-all; I like to see film. I like to witness 1st step instinct in a LBer that puts him in position to beat faster foot speeds to an area in order to defend a pass or make a tackle vrs the run.  Takitaki showed me a nose for the ball (reflecting good instincts) the other night; but his tackling needs work my man.  I already gave the specifics.

There's sooo much more to learn with playing LBer at the next level vrs much more complicated passing offenses.  Meatball on spaghetti here, is now you factor in Takitaki is going to a defense that likes to use only 2 LBers so it's real easy to get Ticky-tacky with Takitaki in NFL game #1.  His head is spinning and it showed at times.  All that said, most of the battle for rookie LBers is getting them in position on time to consistently make the play.  I thought that happened quite frequently the other night and so did the commentators.  I've also heard it's happened throughout training camp so I'm not the reason there's a lot of buzz and excitement about the guy.  Again, I'd like to see better tackling fundamentals from him; and I think it's doable since I've seen 8th and 9th graders do it.

If you also noticed in the thread about the importance of the LBers, I'm not in a hurry to chase Schobert out of the starting line-up when he made the Pro Bowl just 2 years ago.  He's only 26 years old so there's an experience volume to cash in on.  Kirksey can be a reliable starter when/if healthy.  If I had to say what LBer I think can be a superstar that I confess a great deal of optimism toward despite how early it is  - it's Mack Wilson.  I think he's going to replace 1 of our previous starters in the very near future. 

• Upvote 1