THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke Johnson traded

medicineman

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

To be fair, Duke only wanted out after he found out Browns were shopping him; he said if they don't want me, I don't want to be here. I think that's fair. Plus they signed Hunt. Those 2 events is why he wanted gone. He is pretty good and he won't make jack his next contract if he doesn't have some touches. I bet he does quite well in Houston. 

It might be fair, but Duke is counting on himself. Care to bet if he has a monster season with Rosenhaus as his agent he'll pull a Zeke Elliot-  renegotiate me?  

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Of course that can work, and you will see it all over different levels of football and not just 3rd down strategy, but it also hamstrings you for short/intermediate yardage. If there is little or no threat for a run, a team can just drop in coverage.

I saw you mention Ajayi, he doesn't fit the mold of what a team would want as a 3rd down back. Haven't watched enough of Hilliard to know his strengths, but the best option is to pick up someone who is similar to Duke

Hilliard was ho-hum tonight Gipper.  

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I agree. 

And that no RB set on the goal line didn't work out so well.

Does a 202 lb. RB need a nice big hole to get in?   (Hint: might be the only way?)

I am mostly concerned about John Dorsey. He HAS to be under investigation for grand larceny! Getting a 4th & maybe a 3rd for a 3rd round pick who didn't want to be here? Not too shabby!

Actually, this trade is a "win-win" for both the Browns & Texans, but it simply amazes me how Dorsey can turn a negative situation into a positive with what seems to be a "snap of his fingers"! The man is MAGIC!!!

Mike

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I am mostly concerned about John Dorsey. He HAS to be under investigation for grand larceny! Getting a 4th & maybe a 3rd for a 3rd round pick who didn't want to be here? Not too shabby!

Actually, this trade is a "win-win" for both the Browns & Texans, but it simply amazes me how Dorsey can turn a negative situation into a positive with what seems to be a "snap of his fingers"! The man is MAGIC!!!

Mike

45 minutes ago, Dawg in MD said:

I personally like what I saw from Hilliard, seems like he can pick up the slack left from Duke's departure. Dorsey definitely got a "deal" done! We will get a 3rd from that trade, fo' sho'!

I'm not sure he has the same "skill set" as DJ had, but he did look strong out there last night. Very decisive cuts and down line running, and soft hands out of the back field.

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Win win all around. Best of luck to Duke.

Anyone bad mouthing him now is a shit fan.

ya no shit he was pretty much are only good player for a few years

• Upvote 1

Good deal for both teams... but IMO we got the better of HOU here.

HOU is a true RB-by-committee team, but with Miller injury history Duke is likely to get more PT than he had with us. I think he'll show to be ordinary in the feature back role.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

HOU is a true RB-by-committee team, but with Miller injury history Duke is likely to get more PT than he had with us. I think he'll show to be ordinary in the feature back role.

Not sure how the Browns keep getting these high picks for RBs... they must have some jedi mind trick shit going on in Berea. 

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I agree, and we will see how the deal turns out.  Lets hope Duke is active for 10 games and we get a 3rd round pick.  The 3rd is a big pick when it comes to a deal if not a player.

I wouldn't want a 1 year rental for a high pick.  I don't see how we could sign him, the start signing all the guys we currently have who will be coming due.  We are probably going to lose a few of them as it stands.

16 hours ago, medicineman said:

A 3rd round pick would be worth it, really it is a huge step above a 4th round pick. 

If we do get the third round pick, it will likely be a low one. but it gives you ammunition to move up in the second round. 

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I wouldn't want a 1 year rental for a high pick.  I don't see how we could sign him, the start signing all the guys we currently have who will be coming due.  We are probably going to lose a few of them as it stands.

Cap hell is right around the corner when Garrett and Baker come off of their rookie deals.  Cowboys predicament. Dak wants $40 million a year? Get outta here with that crap, he's not a top 10 qb by any stretch of the imagination. Hope if Baker develops into the qb we think he's going to be- he'll take the Brady approach, take less than market value in exchange for Super Bowl wins. 

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

The way it looks we are in a "Win now" situation. Coming from a 0-16 to a 7-8-1  we must win the North this season and if that means only having a few guys for only 1 season I don't think the owners will mind, and once you have a few all stars in place everybody else seems to rise up and play better. We did manage to lose some fans after that 0-16 season. and we need to give young fans a reason to be Browns fans. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, MLD Woody said:

Win win all around. Best of luck to Duke.

Anyone bad mouthing him now is a shit fan.

Yes.. Bad mouthing a man who.."used the media" to get out of Cleveland because he didn't like being challenged.. Fuck him.. I'm glad the sissy is gone.. We don't need sissies on our team...

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Yes.. Bad mouthing a man who.."used the media" to get out of Cleveland because he didn't like being challenged.. Fuck him.. I'm glad the sissy is gone.. We don't need sissies on our team...

I gotta admit, in retrospect the whole Duke situation and how he handled it was super jive. If you think about it, trying to trade a player is a compliment of sorts. It means the player is perceived to have value beyond his current digs. How many players actually retire with the team that drafted them? Five percent maybe? 

I feel like you hear it from baseball players all the time. “I don’t care if l go 0 for 4, as long as we win the game.” How the hell could Duke not see his value with the Browns? 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Is this an oxymoron? 😁

More like Oxydol.  Time to clean this up. 

Really...the only thing now relevant is who we get with the draft pick we got in trade. And we can't worry about that until next April.

Or, perhaps the only other point of conversation is:  how do the Browns fill the hole left by Duke's departure.  And that has sort of been answered as well:   Dontrel Hilliard, and then Kareem Hunt.  Unless the Browns decide that some waivered RB can do us better than Hilliard (which is entirely possible)

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

More like Oxydol.  Time to clean this up. 

Really...the only thing now relevant is who we get with the draft pick we got in trade. And we can't worry about that until next April.

Or, perhaps the only other point of conversation is:  how do the Browns fill the hole left by Duke's departure.  And that has sort of been answered as well:   Dontrel Hilliard, and then Kareem Hunt.  Unless the Browns decide that some waivered RB can do us better than Hilliard (which is entirely possible)

If cincy drops Trayveon Williams, grab him. 6.0 ypc and 66 passes caught in 3 year career including over 2000 r/r to lead the SEC in 2018. 6th rounder with a RB rich team,so there is a chance. 4.4 speed.