THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke Johnson traded

medicineman

As I've said before, I'm still just puzzled a bit at this one. Let's be real, Hunt can and will be an upgrade to the back-up over DJ. But with this offense and style of play, a guy like Duke especially weeks 1-8 seemed like such a great piece of the puzzle. 

Nothing but love though, best of luck to the man.

I believe Duke was drafted in 4th.seems good value and Duke does not miss many games..wonder if Dorsey's clock is still ticking to flip a 2nd and Duke pick at Trent Williams? .make my day JD .force hub & Robbie to earn it and better your OL depth.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a 3rd rounder if Duke plays 10 games, so I like the sound of that. I don't love trading him, but I think I'm more angry with him than anything. I didn't see WHY he needed to be traded. Didn't make sense to me, but whatever. A 3rd rounder is no joke, so hopefully he stays healthy. 

He gave us many good years and I keep saying that for a long time he was the only playmaker in the team. He wanted to be traded as I expected him to, he got what he wanted and we got the 4th round we got him with some good production years later. I couldn't ask more. 

I'm really happy with the trade. Now I would usually say "let's hope we don't miss him" but it had to be done.

EDIT: He was taken in the 3rd round. But 4 years have passed and those years are the best in a running back's football life.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nero said:

He gave us many good years and I keep saying that for a long time he was the only playmaker in the team. He wanted to be traded as I expected him to, he got what he wanted and we got the 4th round we got him with some good production years later. I couldn't ask more. 

I'm really happy with the trade. Now I would usually say "let's hope we don't miss him" but it had to be done.

EDIT: He was taken in the 3rd round. But 4 years have passed and those years are the best in a running back's football life.

But as we say in America- he doesn't have a lot of mileage on the tires....  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnDu00.htm

Let's hope Hillliard is ready (Dorsey must think so). He didn't have a rush from scrimmage last year, mostly used as a kick returner. 

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

As I've said before, I'm still just puzzled a bit at this one. Let's be real, Hunt can and will be an upgrade to the back-up over DJ. But with this offense and style of play, a guy like Duke especially weeks 1-8 seemed like such a great piece of the puzzle. 

Nothing but love though, best of luck to the man.

I'm guessing that he was still a bit of an issue in the locker room. If he was truly that unhappy, then I doubt he was able to successfully hide it all of the time..... Good player on the field that the Browns never seemed to figure out how to fully use correctly - but if he wanted out, then he needed to go. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Who’s our backup RB now?

Hilliard.

I think we'll be looking through the scraps for a 3rd rib, but it will be interesting to see what we have on the roster tonight.

Z

41 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I'm guessing that he was still a bit of an issue in the locker room. If he was truly that unhappy, then I doubt he was able to successfully hide it all of the time..... Good player on the field that the Browns never seemed to figure out how to fully use correctly - but if he wanted out, then he needed to go. 

Maybe, I didn't get that vibe overall from the squad but it's hard to tell sometimes. I definitely fully agree with what you said though, and I believe Duke may be a breakout player down in Houston. Their RB pool is pretty shallow (I feel like lamar miller has been there 45 years) and the offense is pretty dynamic. Seems like a great fit.

Overall, I can't blame the guy for wanting out as I've said before. He was going to be a depth chart casualty and with the right playing time could be looking at 10's of millions of more money in a deal. Best of luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

is Hunt going to play?

I think he IS allowed to play in preseason.....but obviously not in the first 8 games of the regular season.   That could help some. 

From what I am hearing the Browns are going to likely be scouring the waiver wires for a fill-in backup RB.  Of course, I guess the good thing is that RB is THE one position that someone can come in and play well right away using their natural abilities.  As opposed to QBs/WRs/OL etc.  Just give the guy the ball and let him run to daylight.

It could also mean, at least at first, that we may not see a RB on the field on like 3rd downs.   It could be 4-5 WR sets....or even like  3 TEs...if we have that many.

Those of you who know football strategy better than I....what say you about that? Could a "No RB"  on 3rd down be a proper....successful strategy?

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Hilliard.

I think we'll be looking through the scraps for a 3rd rib, but it will be interesting to see what we have on the roster tonight.

Z

Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Think Gipper nailed it- there's going to be plenty of FA running backs come cut time....  

Duke bitched his way out of town. Like Baker said, you're either on the train, or you're not. Duke didn't want to get on board. 

It's ok.. Him and Watson can convalesce together on the sidelines....

Just now, hoorta said:

To be fair, Duke only wanted out after he found out Browns were shopping him; he said if they don't want me, I don't want to be here. I think that's fair. Plus they signed Hunt. Those 2 events is why he wanted gone. He is pretty good and he won't make jack his next contract if he doesn't have some touches. I bet he does quite well in Houston. 

hate to be blunt..butt Duke's bush league moment was calling out Dorsey as a liar, only doing his job..Bill O'Brain bryan will now be that GM & HC with maybe a worse OL..Duke wanted touches and if Bill makes him a feature back? his taking a huge risk.. it works both ways,for both teams right now with Hunt out 8  .. 

Great opportunity for Hilliard who I think must be doing what they hoped for in OTA's or there would have been no trade yet. A 3rd rounder is better than I expected since there was a good chance we might have just cut him later.