THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns Vs. Redskins Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

#9 QB Blough looks #6 Mayfield on one pass then looks like a rookie QB in the 4th quarter on the next. Ahhhhh preseason gotta love it.

AND Tribe 6 Twinkies 2 bottom 6 Clevinger has 8 Ks, struck out the side.....top 7 coming up.

Baseball so much more fun than sock-her.:lol:

• Haha 1

Holy shit did you see that!?!? Dude can fly......but PAT no good, oh well.

AND INDIANS 6 twinks 2 bottom 7, Clevinger dealin'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

there have definitely been worse preseason games to watch

Like maybe 98.6% of them?

Well the BROWNS won fairly easily 30-10.

Indians up 6-2 going into the bottom of the 8th, Clevinger looked great last K in the 7th was 95 mph.

But Cimber comes in and walks two, no outs....now 6-3 with 1 out and I'm going to finish watching it.......

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Any chance of bad weather is gone. It’s gonna be a nice summer evening at the stadium. 

Really nice perfect weather at the stadium.  

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

BROWNS first team looks like they are ready for the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile TRIBE 1 Twinkies 0 top 3 on a wild throw to first, Puig scores from 3rd.

And Bernie looks way older than me!  :o

Hey- keep that Tribe stuff to the baseball board, there's what-  150 games left in the season?  :D 

51 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think I'm gonna enjoy seeing the entire game tomorrow on Direct TV replay. I never expect that many points or that many INTs in preseason.

To quote the departed Ghoolie- It was a total doopa kicking. Freddie puled the starters after one series each from the offense and defense. :( Apparently Freddie had "seen enough". Could have been 50-0 by halftime. Had to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter, the nephew had a big meeting at 7AM. Want to see that 85 yard return though.  

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Want to see that 85 yard return though.  

i want to see the next gen stats on the mph Guiseppi got to..first 10 yards he shifted some gears 

Yes this is the BROWNS game thread -but- the TRIBE hung on and won 7-5! Only 1 GB!

GO CLEVELAND 2-0 tonight!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes this is the BROWNS game thread -but- the TRIBE hung on and won 7-5! Only 1 GB!

GO CLEVELAND 2-0 tonight!

Whoop ti do. Yawn- I'd rather watch women's World Cup Soccer. The real baseball season (playoffs) is about 7 weeks away. Wake me up if the Tribe gets there. 

At least the football fans didn't have to deal with excessive traffic from Progressive tonight. 

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Whoop ti do. Yawn- I'd rather watch women's World Cup Soccer. The real baseball season (playoffs) is about 7 weeks away. Wake me up if the Tribe gets there. 

At least the football fans didn't have to deal with excessive traffic from Progressive tonight. 

Hey only about 2 freakin' more months of this stuff and then it's the playoffs!  BEISBOL 24/7!  :lol:

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The Pennant race starts at the first of August.

But the only reason to watch women's World Cup soccer is for the jingoistic aspect of that endeavour.  Beyond that and the Olympics...I would never have any interest in a women's soccer match.....unless it was played in the nude.  Maybe then.

But...back to football:

Biggest issue going forward may be the OL run blocking.  Not a great night in that regard.  

Browns sliced and diced Wash....and we didn't even have our top 2 WRs play. 

I never saw Otto play live, but Baker gave me glimpses of Joe Montana nostalgia....he seems that kind of QB.

We need a kick/punt returner.....could this Sheehy kid be the ticket?  

Mack Wilson looks like he could become a stud.  Takitaki not far back. 

Except for their FUBAR play that lead to the Skins TD, I thought Redwine and Greedy showed very well.

Again, I thought that Kareem Hunt could play in the preseason....but did not see him at all...did we?  If he could play...why did he not play?

Our D line may at some point need a Purple People Eater/Steel Curtain like nickname.

Most impressive D stat?....Myles was the ONLY Browns DL starter to play tonight. It's only preseason, but I like our speed & hustle.

Note to Joe & Kirko...Be very concerned.....I was interested in seeing our 2 young LBs & we may be hearing "Mack-A-Taki" sooner rather than later. These guys are fast & have a "chip"!

Mike

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Mack Wilson has just earned a starting spot. 2 INTs

I love that kid! He just may turn into that dominant LB I have wanted for DECADES!

Mike

7 hours ago, Comeonman said:

No, unfortunately. Three 12 hour shifts coming up. You?

Woah! Are you a doctor, a firefighter? Ive been working all week all week mornings and afternoons, I'll go on Saturday morning to a village south of Navarra to a friend's house to enjoy their local fest.

I won't be able to watch the full game so I just watched the highlights. Nice drive by Baker and seeing offense, defense and special teams making plays was really nice. I don't mind not having our top 2 receivers, better keep them safe for regular season. Higgins can be one of the best WR3 in the league.

I dont know if Mack will start but having competition in the LB corp is great. It looks that at least we have some good depth there now. 

Sheehy (idk if I wrote it properly) is a nice cinderella story and everyone roots for him. His problem is that apart from a PR he is a receiver and we have plenty good ones. 

Also, good thing about improving the roster is that these guys face each other in practice. If you have better receivers, secondary will improve and so on. There are a very few areas of concern in this team for me and I can't wait for regular season!

16 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Hoping Guiseppi makes it as our PR.  Great quickness and lateral burst.

Me too. I miss having that slippery "waterbug" type returning kicks.

What about our Special Teams? I feel much better this year than in the recent past thanks to ST Coach Mike Priefer & Staff. It was nice watching the game & not seeing flags on every return (except the initial one) but Baker & company took care of that.

Mike

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Watched the highlights on youtube this morning and when I saw that acceleration and speed I said to myself, "Now we have a real punt returner and I'd sure like to see him on KO returns too."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

did you see if Phiefer has tried Sheehy as a gunner on ST/punt at camp? saw some hang time on punts & this hungry crazed Taz ain't scared of contact (waiting on all 22 to see who's out there)

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

did you see if Phiefer has tried Sheehy as a gunner on ST/punt at camp? saw some hang time on punts & this hungry crazed Taz ain't scared of contact

I didn't see. All i saw when I looked were 2 muffed punts, one by Hilliard and the other by Callaway, I believe? 

Hilliard shouldn't be back there if we have this kind of return ability anyway. Let the young and hungry kid handle the return duties. 

As for the goal line fumble, Hilliards ball security wasn't all that terrible.  That was a pretty outstanding play putting a helmet right on the ball.

• Thanks 1

What I loved: 

Coming out in the 2 minute offense to start the game and EXECUTING right off the bat.  It was extremely impressive and not something you generally see in the preseason, especially the first game. 

Baker’s accuracy.  Now, we’ve known for a while that Baker can hit some tight windows, but that TD throw to Higgins was next level.  That throw is extremely similar to at least one pick Baker had last year against the Broncos before half, and I think Baker MAY have had another pick in a similar type situation.  If you underthrow it, the backer gets it.  If you overthrow it, the DB gets it.  It had to be right on the money, and it WAS. 

Scoring on special teams AND defense.  We didn’t have a defensive TD or special teams TD last year, and let’s face it, that really hurt us.  Take week 1 for example.  Schobert gets that pick and runs down the sideline, but I believe it was Genard Avery that assumed he’d score and COMPLETELY missed the ONE block needed for Schobert to moonwalk into the endzone.  Missing the block resulted in Schobert being tackled, and it also provided the time for Myles to trail the play and have the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen.  Does Joseph get blocked ten yards closer?  We’ll never know, but Schobert should’ve scored on that pick, and it cost us the game.  Defensive and special teams TD’s are worth so much more than 6 points!

Mack Wilson and Greedy Williams getting multiple picks.  Yo!

What I didn’t love:

Kalis FINALLY cementing the starting job, and then getting a concussion.  I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets healthy soon. 

Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line.  It’s preseason, and now is the time to learn the ball security lesson, but those two plays NEVER should have happened.  I get that we’re trying to work on stuff, but let’s get jumbo package and stuff the ball into the end zone please. 

Busted coverage from two of our rookies.  Again, this was definitely the forum to have a busted coverage, but c’mon guys!! 

My favorite moment of the night:

Sheehy breaking off the 86 yard punt return and the entire team running down to the end zone to celebrate.  It was truly something special. 

49 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

What I loved: 

Coming out in the 2 minute offense to start the game and EXECUTING right off the bat.  It was extremely impressive and not something you generally see in the preseason, especially the first game. 

Baker’s accuracy.  Now, we’ve known for a while that Baker can hit some tight windows, but that TD throw to Higgins was next level.  That throw is extremely similar to at least one pick Baker had last year against the Broncos before half, and I think Baker MAY have had another pick in a similar type situation.  If you underthrow it, the backer gets it.  If you overthrow it, the DB gets it.  It had to be right on the money, and it WAS. 

Scoring on special teams AND defense.  We didn’t have a defensive TD or special teams TD last year, and let’s face it, that really hurt us.  Take week 1 for example.  Schobert gets that pick and runs down the sideline, but I believe it was Genard Avery that assumed he’d score and COMPLETELY missed the ONE block needed for Schobert to moonwalk into the endzone.  Missing the block resulted in Schobert being tackled, and it also provided the time for Myles to trail the play and have the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen.  Does Joseph get blocked ten yards closer?  We’ll never know, but Schobert should’ve scored on that pick, and it cost us the game.  Defensive and special teams TD’s are worth so much more than 6 points!

Mack Wilson and Greedy Williams getting multiple picks.  Yo!

What I didn’t love:

Kalis FINALLY cementing the starting job, and then getting a concussion.  I feel really bad for him, and I hope he gets healthy soon. 

Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line.  It’s preseason, and now is the time to learn the ball security lesson, but those two plays NEVER should have happened.  I get that we’re trying to work on stuff, but let’s get jumbo package and stuff the ball into the end zone please. 

Busted coverage from two of our rookies.  Again, this was definitely the forum to have a busted coverage, but c’mon guys!! 

My favorite moment of the night:

Sheehy breaking off the 86 yard punt return and the entire team running down to the end zone to celebrate.  It was truly something special. 

It's the first preseason game.  Relax.

My biggest takeaway more than Baker looking fabulous is that this team clearly has some depth. Callaway IMO got robbed of a TD, and the guys churning for the last WR spots all looked strong last night. Mack, Greedy (outside the busted coverage) and TakiTaki all looked like dudes who can contribute as rookies for depth. There was a lot of clean pockets for guys to throw last night too, outside of screen plays.

This is the first time in my natural life I'm watching these guys thinking "man, what great depth" vs "man, what a chance for them to get thrown to the wolves". Exciting stuff.

• Like 1