THE BROWNS BOARD

NYC Sports radio

The Gipper

This may be a slight bit off forum, but I will put it here anyway, since it does involve sports....and a couple of bits of Cleveland relevant info as well.

I have spent the last week in the New York City area.  And even when it comes to sports, except for some minor exceptions, the notion that New Yorkers think the world ends at the Hudson River is essentially correct  (they making an exception for the fact that the Jets and Giants do play west of the Hudson). 

One major factor is that, in the evenings and mornings I was trying to dial in some sports talk while there....I could find absolutely NO  station airing any "national" sports talk programming.  NO Golic and Wingo, no other ESPN radio,  no Fox Sports, no CBS sports broadcasting network. EVERYTHING was a local sports show broadcast.  Nothing national.    It was, for the most part ALL about the Yankees, the Mets, the Giants, and the Jets  (the fact that it is not basketball or hockey season I assume is the reason I heard little if any  Knicks/Nets/Rangers etc. talk. And of course a lot of people were coming on proclaiming how happy they were that the Giants had gotten rid of the "cancer"...i.e. OBJ.  That made me laugh a bit.

There was only one minor exception to the all NY love fest...and this should be interesting to Cleveland fans:    much of this past week they were lamenting the fact that the 40th anniversary of the death of Thurman Munson took place.   They were discussing the fact that  he was not yet in the HOF...which is true, he is not. They were also talking about who else was not in,  and of course it was limited to NY players:  Gil Hodges, Don Mattingly, and a few others....BUT, then, to my surprise, the one person they did then bring up that should be in the HOF?  And who was the only non NYC sports person they gave any run to?   None other than:      

Albert Belle

They said that based on his dominance while he played the game he should be a prime candidate for the HOF.  They felt that the reason that he may not have been in there was 2 fold:  A.  That he was a mean, nasty SOB to the media...particularly likely to HOF voters;  and they said, more legitimately, that they felt that his career had been cut short by injury the same way Munson's career was cut short by his death.    And I think that is a legit situation.  Belle had played like 11-13 years and then his hip got him.  Munson played only 11 years before dying.   Their legit argument for Munson was that in his 11 years he actually had better annual average numbers than did  Johnny Bench and Carlton Fisk...who both played much longer.  They said that Belle's numbers put him at the crème of the crop of baseball while he played, but he just played too short a period.

So, that is my experience with NYC sports radio.   It was all Yankees/Mets/Jets/Giants....and glad that  the cancer had been move out of NYC and that he is now someone else's problem.  So...I guess we will deal with that problem now...and be glad of it. 

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Belle is not a HOFer in my book, but he should have won AL MVP over Mo Vaughn in 95.

Z

No that is the point is that his career was shortened which reduced his career numbers make him not be considered for the HOF.  Had he not been injured and extrapolated his average annual numbers to longer career you certainly could’ve made a much better argument for him. 

Gip, there should have been at least one station that was contracted to ESPN. Yeah- a lot of their stuff is fluff, or obnoxious like Steven A Smith. I'd rather listen to their stuff all day instead of 5 minutes or Cowherd. 

We'll find out how good the Jets are week two when they play the Browns on MNF. It would be freaking hysterical if Beckham has 3 TDs and 150 yards receiving. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gip, there should have been at least one station that was contracted to ESPN. Yeah- a lot of their stuff is fluff, or obnoxious like Steven A Smith. I'd rather listen to their stuff all day instead of 5 minutes or Cowherd. 

We'll find out how good the Jets are week two when they play the Browns on MNF. It would be freaking hysterical if Beckham has 3 TDs and 150 yards receiving. 

I was looking for ESPN both mornings and evenings...could not find it anywhere on either AM or FM dial.

A couple years ago I read an article about how provincial NYC fans are---whether it's NCAA Basketball tournament, Super Bowl, WS, NBA Finals---if a NYC or near-NYC team isn't involved, then NYC fans don't give a shit. And tv ratings for those events reflect that attitude.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dste Ace said:

A couple years ago I read an article about how provincial NYC fans are---whether it's NCAA Basketball tournament, Super Bowl, WS, NBA Finals---if a NYC or near-NYC team isn't involved, then NYC fans don't give a shit. And tv ratings for those events reflect that attitude.

That is precisely what I observed.

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I was looking for ESPN both mornings and evenings...could not find it anywhere on either AM or FM dial.

LOL Gipper try Google next time. I found ESPN radio NYC in about 10 seconds. :D

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

LOL Gipper try Google next time. I found ESPN radio NYC in about 10 seconds. :D

I was listening on an actual radio. I suppose I could have gotten ESPN googled up on my phone any time.....but I was looking for what actually goes out on the air there...not what you can get on line. 

I suppose I could have gotten WKNR on line if I wanted to.