THE BROWNS BOARD

Toy Story 4 review

Toy Story 4
Disney/Pixar
G.                100 min  

Not only is Disney the world’s champion at producing family-oriented entertainment but they are also one of the smartest. If I can paraphrase an old maxim Disney is fully aware that if you can’t beat them, buy them. Pixar was originally the animation division of Lucas Films later purchased by Steve Jobs and the Apple gang and finally in 1986 one of the tentacles of the Disney octopus. With the release of the 4th episode of The Toy Story Saga they’ve set a benchmark previously untouched by any other motion picture franchise. There have been sequels that have been just as good as the original picture even a few 3rd outings which have been pretty good but never have I seen a number four as good as this one. When Kenny Loggins sang about watching his son sleeping with his old bear he was captured the idea perfectly. Toys are immortal, reincarnated over and over, and there will always be children to love them. As episode four begins all the toys have moved on to another child, Bonnie, who is less fascinated by a 50s era cowboy doll than her male predecessor. The stout-hearted Woody (Tom Hanks) feels a bit neglected but never gives up on his devotion to the child who is facing her first day in kindergarten. Here she will make the acquaintance of a decidedly non-traditional new toy friend. For an art project she fashions a  little character from parts she’s found in the wastebasket, one of those plastic sporks a couple baby doll eyes and some pipe cleaners and names him Forky. (Tony Hale). As only a child can do Bonnie loves Forky even though it’s his natural instinct to try and return to trash cans wherever she takes him.  
Another story line is Little Bo Peep (Annie Potts) and her three porcelain sheep who have been separated from the rest of the toys and find themselves on the shelf have an antique store in an amusement park. When Bonnie family takes a trip to that very same park Forky gets lost and winds up in the clutches of Gabby (Christine Hendricks), a talking doll not unlike Chatty Cathy who has a sinister plan and some decidedly creepy henchman in the form of ventriloquist dummies. All the toys band together to rescue the little wastebasket refugee as Woody and Bo Peep rekindle a romantic attraction. The themes of loyalty, love, redemption and teamwork shine in the most perfectly scripted, voiced (the list of celebrities is seemingly endless) and animated film of the year, actually in quite a few years.  Plus Woody and Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) are a movie team that reminds me a lot of Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed, previously rivals turned stout allies. I loved it.
A
WSS

have you heard the one about Forky being the subject of the PC gender fluidity? 

I like the film because of the past ones with the kids but this one had me wondering about Disney and the cultural scene

turns out (to me) that Forky really wasnt , and maybe a ploy by the civil discourse crowd to build animosity?   

4 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

have you heard the one about Forky being the subject of the PC gender fluidity? 

I like the film because of the past ones with the kids but this one had me wondering about Disney and the cultural scene

turns out (to me) that Forky really wasnt , and maybe a ploy by the civil discourse crowd to build animosity?   

Never heard it and probably wouldn't have taken it seriously if I had.

WSS