THE BROWNS BOARD

EX-Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying QB coach Ken Zampese did all the coaching

Vambo

EX-Browns OL coach Bob Wylie rips Freddie Kitchens, saying QB coach Ken Zampese did all the coaching

Today 4:24 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Former Browns offensive line coach Bob Wylie had some harsh words for the Browns organization in a radio interview Saturday.

For starters, he said he was surprised when Freddie Kitchens was hired as head coach considering quarterbacks coach Kenny Zampese was the mastermind behind the Browns’ explosive offense in the final eight weeks of the season.

“Baker (Mayfield) likes Freddie,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “There’s a good relationship there even though (former Browns QB coach) Kenny Zampese did all the coaching there. Baker likes Freddie, so that had to (factor) into the decision.’’

Wylie, who was fired after the season along with the most of the assistants hired by Hue Jackson, charged that interim coach Gregg Williams didn’t get the head coaching job because Dorsey didn’t want him.

“My own personal feeling is Gregg was too strong a candidate for the seat,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “I don’t think Dorsey wanted to go head-to-head with Williams like he had to do with Andy Reid in Kansas City, so he kind of filtered Gregg out of the picture.’’

Wylie, who left the Browns in late December because of a serious ankle and knee injury, said he heard about his firing from his daughter.

“My daughter called me and said, ‘Hey, dad, you just got fired today,’’ Wylie said. “That’s the first time I head about it.’’

9 minutes ago, Vambo said:

“Baker (Mayfield) likes Freddie,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “There’s a good relationship there even though (former Browns QB coach) Kenny Zampese did all the coaching there. Baker likes Freddie, so that had to (factor) into the decision.’’   Well, we'll see how good a coach Freddie is won't we...

“My own personal feeling is Gregg was too strong a candidate for the seat,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “I don’t think Dorsey wanted to go head-to-head with Williams like he had to do with Andy Reid in Kansas City, so he kind of filtered Gregg out of the picture.’’  Even if that were true,  if the GM didn't feel like he could work with the guy, that's reason enough to replace him (usually).

Sorry about the way you were fired.  It's all too common in the nfl.  Fact is, you were a funny man, but not a very good coach.  You didn't even understand the need for stretching.

Yeah, Kenny Zampese was an offensive genius alright!

From Wikipedia.."On September 15, 2017, Zampese was fired by the Bengals after the team started the season 0–2 and did not score a single touchdown."

Mike

• Haha 2

i told y'all this dude gave me the doosh chills during hsrd knocks last year. And THEN i found out he never played a single down of football in his life....apparently not even at the HS level. And he was like a financial advisor or some shit before he "studied up" on how to play o line. 

I smelled fraud the instant i saw him on the screen. Ill forgive a former NFL OL for getting that fucking corpulent but not him..

You only need to see that as of today he is unemployed and not working for any other team. That tells you a lot about how much you can trust his words or his football IQ.

• Upvote 2

Am not a believer that Wylie can't coach with 38 years of experience doing it..Now, it did take 17 coaching jobs to get where he's at.. Could it be true? maybe? Are we still paying him? IDK. but if we are? it beats pounding the pavement  FUxK.gif                                      

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Yeah, Kenny Zampese was an offensive genius alright!

From Wikipedia.."On September 15, 2017, Zampese was fired by the Bengals after the team started the season 0–2 and did not score a single touchdown."

Mike

Yup, and if Wilie is right- it begs the question, why didn't Freddie keep him? Instead hiring Todd Monken? 

The players liked him.  The OLinemen liked him.

I'll never forget, the training camp after Joe Thomas retired when a reporter said to him that he heard that Hue said plan B was to move Bitonio. to LT... Wylie said, That would be plan 'Z'  :)

15 hours ago, Vambo said:
  1. “Baker (Mayfield) likes Freddie,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “There’s a good relationship there even though (former Browns QB coach) Kenny Zampese did all the coaching there. Baker likes Freddie, so that had to (factor) into the decision.’’
  2. “My own personal feeling is Gregg was too strong a candidate for the seat,’’ Wylie said on The Zach Gelb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “I don’t think Dorsey wanted to go head-to-head with Williams like he had to do with Andy Reid in Kansas City, so he kind of filtered Gregg out of the picture.’’
  1. The thought of Baker picking his HC's is a worry of mine. I flash to how well that worked for LeBron as a Cav...
  2. Dorsey passing over Williams for the more "pliable" Kitchens was the subtext I saw at Kit's surprise hiring.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, medicineman said:

on what planet? there is no way what we say ever going to end up on espn or  fox or anything, we are not a mainstream media platform 

CNN Breaking News, a report from medicineman on The Browns Board indicates new planet found.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, medicineman said:

on what planet? there is no way what we say ever going to end up on espn or  fox or anything, we are not a mainstream media platform 

Who said main stream media. It may not be mainstreamed but it is the media. you get to express your opinions here just as all these other people get to express their pinons on those channels

You watch CNN? Man you have problems bigger than anything on this site, I refuse to watch any msm news outlets, Just like the Shooting that happened in Texas, reports say a Lone gunman killed 16 people wounded 30 others with a single magazine that holds 30 bullets.....Every time I give the msm a chance they fail, I check in with them from time to time and then I do my own research. 

1 hour ago, medicineman said:

You watch CNN? Man you have problems bigger than anything on this site, I refuse to watch any msm news outlets, Just like the Shooting that happened in Texas, reports say a Lone gunman killed 16 people wounded 30 others with a single magazine that holds 30 bullets.....Every time I give the msm a chance they fail, I check in with them from time to time and then I do my own research. 

You’re talking now. Television is nothing but an electronic device used to distort reality. Electric LSD?  That distorts reality too. So all these msm viewers are just tripping their ass off. Too bad they vote. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A lot of good points in the last few posts. I must admit l thought at least a smidgeon of the reason Kitchens was tabbed was Dorsey’s past experience at KC, where he had a good gig but got pushed out by a coach who had experience and sway on his side. 

And to Medicineman’s point about the media, it kinda is their job to generate interest and dissenting opinions does just that. I’ve read a sports reporter admit as such that when the team he covers’ season goes sideways it makes their job easier when internal discord happens because it gives him something juicy to write about. Us as fans DO want to know why the season went awry and who we can blame so we can identify and discuss a solution.

And to Gipper’s point that the board here is a form of media, l agree. It has potential to influence how we view a situation and we can take those points to the water cooler for discussion ammo, and with luck and timing, those points could fall into the legit media’s lap and spread even further.

On 8/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, Tour2ma said:
  1. The thought of Baker picking his HC's is a worry of mine. I flash to how well that worked for LeBron as a Cav...
  2. Dorsey passing over Williams for the more "pliable" Kitchens was the subtext I saw at Kit's surprise hiring.

Wylie's disgruntled fired employee comments aside, my number 1 "concern" heading into the season is how Freddie leads the ship. I actually do have a lot faith, but there's SEVERAL examples of guys getting the HC gig to appease the QB and it not working at all. His rope is going to the shortest by far as well if things don't go the way we hope they do.

3 hours ago, medicineman said:

Will you will get far more disinformation or wrong information from non-mainstream media and then you would on mainstream media. Just think about all the shit that said here that is so pure speculation about things so msm is Is still more reliable than anything else

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/08/04/cleveland-browns-gregg-williams-john-dorsey/

From there Wylie got into what was probably the underlying reason for his harsh assessments. The veteran coach expressed frustration that Kitchens didn’t retain the majority of the staff when he took over. He claimed they helped Kitchens get his interview but then turned them all into “collateral damage.

Being fair, it probably was frustrating for Wylie and many of the other coaches who were not retained by Kitchens. However, it also made plenty of sense.

Oh, stick a cork in it, Wylie - Kitchens has every right to his own staff. Don't let the door hit you in the belly on yer way out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Will you will get far more disinformation or wrong information from non-mainstream media and then you would on mainstream media. Just think about all the shit that said here that is so pure speculation about things so msm is Is still more reliable than anything else

I'm really curious who medicineman thinks is reputable news outlets. 

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

......... reputable news outlets  

In Webster's Dictionary they use the above as an example of the word 'Oxymoron'.  

• Upvote 1