THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Dawson Retiring as a Brownie

kvozel

They were joking on TRAINING CAMP DAILY about Phil maybe being available......to kick.

Happy retirement.

were on our 9th (liquored up) kicker in 7 years, since franchise tagging Phil Dawson twice.. Congrats to one of the class acts of the NFL 🍻 #4 can ya sign my jersey? 🤠

What a class act and a class move.. Kudos to everyone in the Browns organization for making this happen... And Kudos to Phil.. I know I gave him a lot of grief over the years.. Some warranted.. Some of it not.. Happy Retirement Mr.Dawson !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am elated that Phil will retire as a Brown. The guy was "money in the bank" in the toughest wind in the NFL & I expect to see him in the Ring of Honor before long. I remember him getting BETTER year after year after year.......

Welcome home Phil Dawson. We LOVE ya!!!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nickers said:

What a class act and a class move.. Kudos to everyone in the Browns organization for making this happen... And Kudos to Phil.. I know I gave him a lot of grief over the years.. Some warranted.. Some of it not.. Happy Retirement Mr.Dawson !!

Seriously, who bitches about Phil Dawson? 

It's like someone complaining about Joe Thomas... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

You have to wonder, don't ya? He MAY be a great mentor maybe?

Mike

yeah something tells me if he wanted to, he could walk into berea tommorrow and win the job. At the very least we oughta seriously inquire if he wouldnt mind being the kicking coach. Not sure where he lives full time but if its not far from here maybe he'd be game....

I’m trying to find the clip of my favorite Phil Dawson play but having trouble. It was a fake kick where he ran the ball right up the gut for a first down and made some solid contact in the process, and if memory serves it was the play that earned him the nickname Phil “the human battering ram” Dawson. Can’t even remember who it was against. Here’s an article that at least mentions his nickname.

https://www.timesleaderonline.com/sports-columns/2014/01/wild-card-weekend-i-will-never-go-shopping-again/

Phil Dawson signed a wooden cutout of a Browns' player for me. I asked him to sign the foot, he signed the helmet just by the ear. He said he'll always be in my ear... lol 

Great Job coming home Phil! I know it's over but I'm still gonna say it. Encore? One time baby, one time.

• Upvote 1

I'll never forget this game, watching it with my dad and knowing Phil was somehow going to go out there and make 'em despite the nonsense weather. I'm glad to see this happening, beers should always be free for this dude in Cleveland. Just like JT, I just wish he coulda been part of some winning teams.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I'll never forget this game,

That long FG in the bad weather is, to me, one of the best kicks in history.   

When Romeo sent him out for that long one I said to my wife, This is a stupid decision to try and kick a FG from way out here.   And when he snuck it in there I said, What a kick!  But it was STILL a stupid decision.    -  We had some BAD head coaches!

We have a history of some good kickers, all the way back to The Toe.....but I think Phil was our best kicker ever.  As Canton Mike eluded, it ain't easy to kick in the Cleveland late season winds, rain & snow....but he played the winds & weather and MADE the kicks.  -  I'm glad that he loves us right back.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, Zombo said:

His wife is still hot...

Z

As long as you didn't say he was hot......then I'd begin to worry about you.   :wub:

On 8/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, Orion said:

That long FG in the bad weather is, to me, one of the best kicks in history.   

When Romeo sent him out for that long one I said to my wife, This is a stupid decision to try and kick a FG from way out here.   And when he snuck it in there I said, What a kick!  But it was STILL a stupid decision.    -  We had some BAD head coaches!

We have a history of some good kickers, all the way back to The Toe.....but I think Phil was our best kicker ever.  As Canton Mike eluded, it ain't easy to kick in the Cleveland late season winds, rain & snow....but he played the winds & weather and MADE the kicks.  -  I'm glad that he loves us right back.

It's funny because I remember thinking the exact same thing. Don't forget too that the Browns were in the midst of a play off hunt that year with DA, so that game had a lot on it as well compared to most December games. Crazy that was 12 years ago.

• Like 1