Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OldBrownsFan

Gun Shooting At Festival

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

ccw  arriets should get active shooter trsining

I wonder if some of them do or if it is an option or even available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I wonder if some of them do or if it is an option or even available?

You can get any type of training you want if you have the money...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half the time with these "pro gun" guys I get Dirty Harry vibes. Like they're just trying to be like the cool vigilantes they see in movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Half the time with these "pro gun" guys I get Dirty Harry vibes. Like they're just trying to be like the cool vigilantes they see in movies.

Dirty Harry was a (fictional) cop, not a vigilante.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Seeing how bad 60% of drivers on the road operate, I can't imagine how more weapons will alleviate the issue.  I'm sure signs don't help in painting soft targets though.  Then again, many of us believe people will do things regardless of warnings, signage  (lack of) and the like.  If the police presence was as heavy as some suggest, then that is fortunate. 

But seeing many people react poorly to non violent emergencies, doesn't give me much faith in most civilians being the needed level headed hero when shit pops off.  

by design? go read up on it, wilbur.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My father was a WW II small arms training instructor who brought us up learning how to shoot everything safely and accurately starting with BB guns, the 410 shotgun up into 12 gauge, pistols and rifles. I was an extremely safe expert with everything because he was such an excellent instructor. One of the things I liked about the LTC training I received is that the instructor was an expert trainer and worked as an armed security guard for a living. His  training was right on the money and you damn sure had to use the weapon you planned to carry to qualify, not some special target pistol. He rightly assumed you had better be good with the weapon you were counting on. Texas has very good laws when it comes to pass the LTC. And they don't give it to anyone unless they prove in the training they understand the laws and how to safely and properly use the weapon of choice. They make it clear that you are legally responsible for any innocent person that is downrange of a pulled concealed weapon and if you accidentally shoot some innocent bystander you will pay the consequences.

when I was kid, my Dad had me carry a toy rifle for a whole year in our woods, out hunting with him...that's how I earned my first .22 and single shot 12 gauge I still have today. I've taught some friends, and friends; kids, per their parents' request. Just today I was teaching my neice's friend from NC to shoot. I taught our niece and nephew different times, she loves to come out and shoot. Both of them shot my ccw - they love that still "new" Walther 9mm.

        There is some interesting training available on the outdoor and sportsmens channel, not always there, but when you find one, just record all of them, and eventually, they add up. Some subjects are about just target practice, some are about abduction, attacks in a restaurant, and parking lot, home invasions...etc.

    My CCW instructor was 4.5 years Special Forces, so he has a lot of tips from experience. I've often thought "how do you practice for some kind of attack in public...when you don't know what kind of environment...?" There is a lot to be considered if you are not in a one on one situation. In a crowd - it just gets complicated. One ricochet, and an innocent person could get shot.

   I do plan on going to some advance training one of these days. The near-mugging in Vegas about 3 years ago still bothers me. I never found out if he had a knife, but when the undercover policement came out of nowhere, from the shadows at night... the tall street dude, who looked a lot like Jim of "Taxi", must have been dangerous - they knew who he was.

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Half the time with these "pro gun" guys I get Dirty Harry vibes. Like they're just trying to be like the cool vigilantes they see in movies.

  Imaginary scary Real American people. I know a whole LOT of folks with guns, and I trust them 100%. Okay, make that 98.7% - one person is kinda temperamental...don't think she has one anymore since she retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

  Imaginary scary Real American people. I know a whole LOT of folks with guns, and I trust them 100%. Okay, make that 98.7% - one person is kinda temperamental...don't think she has one anymore since she retired.

Texas has a "homestead" law that allows you to protect yourself with any legal weapon in your own home without needing a license. That law extends to your automobile in our state. You are allowed to carry a loaded weapon in it. I really disagree with it in that if you carry one in your car, I think you should be obligated to go through professional training similar to our LTC training. If you are smart then whenever you get stopped by any legal law enforcement, the first thing you should do is inform them that you have a loaded weapon while keeping your hands on the steering wheel and verbally tell them where it is rather than do any pointing. With an LTC you hand them your drivers license and LTC license at the same time.  By the time they get to your car they already know you have it from calling in your license plate.  I do know a few people without the LTC who keep a gun in the car, but they are all ex-military, some with better training from that than others. I don't know why they won't let me carry an M-79 or an M-60 since I've trained to use them both and kept an M-79 with me and my interpreter in scary places (que the James Bond theme).😎🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, choco said:

its merely a question to those that cling to their guns yet cower in fear...is it merely coincidence we have the most guns and most shootings? everyone wants to protect themselves, its the excuse...but then nobody does.

 

big talk...no action.  if ya'll gonna piss yourselves and hide, why ya need your precious guz?

I used to think like you once upon a time but it's verifiably wrong. There's stories all over of people successfully stopping crimes and protecting themselves and others with guns. However there is always an element of being in the right place at the right time. If shooters would kindly provide plenty of notice before going on a rampage it would be pretty helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Half the time with these "pro gun" guys I get Dirty Harry vibes. Like they're just trying to be like the cool vigilantes they see in movies.

If you attend training courses, those kinda guys stick out like a sore thumb. The Dunnings Kruger effect is usually strong with them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Half the time with these "pro gun" guys I get Dirty Harry vibes. Like they're just trying to be like the cool vigilantes they see in movies.

I'm 68 and have been shooting firearms since I was 11 that's about 57 years and I have never drawn on anyone -but- I have had my gun in hand a few times when i thought something was up..... luckily I never needed to fire in a bad situation.

Well you did say half, maybe 10 or 15 percent of gun guys I've met are kind of "gung ho" but I would trust being in a room with any of them.

Just curious there Woody have you ever fired a weapon of any kind?  It's pretty cool if you haven't find a responsible gun owner and go to a range or someone's farm or permitted place and fire off a box or two...... you might like it!   ;)

Oh if you have never fired a gun you're in the class with my wife, she doesn't want to go even though she has my old Western style .22 mag with hollow points "just in case"...... it's just like firing a cap gun only a tad louder and will get your attention......all 6 shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh if you have never fired a gun you're in the class with my wife, she doesn't want to go even though she has my old Western style .22 mag with hollow points "just in case"...... it's just like firing a cap gun only a tad louder and will get your attention......all 6 shots.

You might explain to her that a pistol with no effective training had better be fired within 10 ft. or so of whomever is trying to get to her. Otherwise she may as well light a string of Black Cats. 🙀💥😂

 
Black CAT Brand Firecrackers - The Original Cat - Poster 13x19 / Fireworks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW Cal when  are you going to start a thread showing that the shooter was a White Nationalist?  LOL!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

BTW Cal when  are you going to start a thread showing that the shooter was a White Nationalist?  LOL!😁

Cal doesn't need to. The MSM loves that narrative and will broadcast it far and wide. Most of the time they knee jerk and try to attribute all of these types of shootings immediately to far right extremists but then back peddle when the facts don't bear them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Cal doesn't need to. The MSM loves that narrative and will broadcast it far and wide. Most of the time they knee jerk and try to attribute all of these types of shootings immediately to far right extremists but then back peddle when the facts don't bear them out.

So.... Exactly what the right does as well

 

Imagine that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So.... Exactly what the right does as well

 

Imagine that

Of course comparing the relatively tiny number of people killed in mass shootings with the hundreds or thousands of people killed on the streets of the inner city or around the world by disgruntled minorities or religious extremists... Shit you get the idea.

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So.... Exactly what the right does as well

 

Imagine that

Usually those on the right are playing defense and have to point out the errors made by the liberal MSM. 

Lemon: "We have to quit demonizing people...white men are the biggest terrorist threat" LOL...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Cal doesn't need to. The MSM loves that narrative and will broadcast it far and wide. Most of the time they knee jerk and try to attribute all of these types of shootings immediately to far right extremists but then back peddle when the facts don't bear them out.

I'm teasing Cal because of the left wing assaults he posts up here from Ammonland and the Blaze, those unbiased website sources. Do I have to put 🐟🐠 on everything?😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You might explain to her that a pistol with no effective training had better be fired within 10 ft. or so of whomever is trying to get to her. Otherwise she may as well light a string of Black Cats. 🙀💥😂

 

I agree you only get better with some practice but I just can't get her to try it, I always wanted her to get her CCW permit when she was working as a nurse..... maybe more now with all of the nutjobs out there.

SO I told her if she's home alone and hears something 1. grab a phone 2. if still concerned grab the gun and pepper spray 3. go upstairs to the top of the landing lay low 4. if someone is trying to break in CALL COPS! 5. grasp gun firmly with both hands 6.if someone turns to climb up the stairs aim for the center mass of the chest MAKE SURE IT ISN'T ME  7. cock hammer back get as relaxed as you can be 8. prepare to FIRE and REPEAT if necessary.

This is why training in all positions is so important, after a few boxes it's so much easier to try and pull this off......and hopefully it never will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I agree you only get better with some practice but I just can't get her to try it, I always wanted her to get her CCW permit when she was working as a nurse..... maybe more now with all of the nutjobs out there.

SO I told her if she's home alone and hears something 1. grab a phone 2. if still concerned grab the gun and pepper spray 3. go upstairs to the top of the landing lay low 4. if someone is trying to break in CALL COPS! 5. grasp gun firmly with both hands 6.if someone turns to climb up the stairs aim for the center mass of the chest MAKE SURE IT ISN'T ME  7. cock hammer back get as relaxed as you can be 8. prepare to FIRE and REPEAT if necessary.

This is why training in all positions is so important, after a few boxes it's so much easier to try and pull this off......and hopefully it never will happen.

I've been teaching my grandsons to shoot BB guns safely and accurately with permission from my two kids to transfer them over to a .22 rifle with the same lever action when each reaches 13 starting next summer. My daughter surprisingly wanted m to take her out first for training on the .22 after I used the BB gun to show her all the safety issues. Turns out she's a dead shot from the first one on which did not surprise me because her grandfather and uncle were exactly the same way.  I had to practice, practice, practice to get even close to those two, but not her.  A natural born Annie Oakley. It's just not fair dammit.😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early 1960s we had a rifle range at Camp Chicagami in Parkman, Ohio in the Boy Scouts. It was so natural back then a lot of our leaders were former WWII guys like my dad.

I was quite comfortable with guns and got pretty good at it. Probably not that way now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm teasing Cal because of the left wing assaults he posts up here from Ammonland and the Blaze, those unbiased website sources. Do I have to put 🐟🐠 on everything?😁

oh, come on. be serious, "delirious."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

In the early 1960s we had a rifle range at Camp Chicagami in Parkman, Ohio in the Boy Scouts. It was so natural back then a lot of our leaders were former WWII guys like my dad.

I was quite comfortable with guns and got pretty good at it. Probably not that way now.

I think I might be from the last generation that got to do that sort of thing. When I was a kid, I was at church camp (there you go, fellas) in PA that had a rifle range. A Korean War vet taught us how to shoot .22 rifles. At the end of the week we all competed against each other. I won that and the Bible trivia competition.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilroy Garlic Festival gunman took his gun from Nevada to California illegally, officials say

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gilroy-garlic-festival-california-gunman-nevada-illegal

The 19-year-old man who killed three people and wounded a dozen more at a Northen California food festival on Sunday bought his rifle legally in Nevada but brought it into California illegally under the state's ban on so-called assault-style weapons, officials said.

Craig Fair, the FBI's deputy special agent in charge of the San Francisco Division, said investigators were still trying to learn more about Santino William Legan and what prompted him to fire the AK-47 style rifle at the Gilroy Garlic Festival.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

oh, come on. be serious, "delirious."

I  knew you wouldn't bite cal. Your no fun to fish for anymore dammit.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I  knew you wouldn't bite cal. Your no fun to fish for anymore dammit.😁

that's cause I ain't no sucker...https://www.britannica.com/animal/sucker-fish

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 2:30 PM, mjp28 said:

To adequately know how to safely use firearms requires some training at a gun range by a qualified instructor......or if you're like me growing up in the country and having a BB gun at 7 and shooting my dad's.22 in the backyard at 11 where guns are a normal part of life just like it has been in this country for over 200 years.

Practice baby then pray you're not a little bad azz punk trying to hurt someone in front of me.......what? Too Dirty Harry? I'm sorry.    ;)

True dat- if you grew up in a hunting family, you learned proper use of guns at an early age...  and you missed one of my favorite warning signs...  

 

image.png.3541affd7a8408e2dbacecec5dc7cf78.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 10:22 AM, mjp28 said:

I'm 68 and have been shooting firearms since I was 11 that's about 57 years and I have never drawn on anyone -but- I have had my gun in hand a few times when i thought something was up..... luckily I never needed to fire in a bad situation.

Well you did say half, maybe 10 or 15 percent of gun guys I've met are kind of "gung ho" but I would trust being in a room with any of them.

Just curious there Woody have you ever fired a weapon of any kind?  It's pretty cool if you haven't find a responsible gun owner and go to a range or someone's farm or permitted place and fire off a box or two...... you might like it!   ;)

Oh if you have never fired a gun you're in the class with my wife, she doesn't want to go even though she has my old Western style .22 mag with hollow points "just in case"...... it's just like firing a cap gun only a tad louder and will get your attention......all 6 shots.

PS- We- meaning me and my brother in law who lives out in the sticks of North Carolina finally got my wife- who had never fired a weapon and is sort of scared of them, to shoot a .410 at some tin cans out in his back 40.  I didn't get to see it too well- but the others said it was right impressive when I hit that cinder block sitting on top of a post with a 12 gauge rifle slug.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×